• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What are Shantae's chances for the Fighter Pass and the DLC afterwards?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

For some reason Nightmare Woods (Run Run Rottytops) seems to be rather popular amongst Koreans.

Since smash somtimes dose redesigns to some characters I though of a smash redesign of shantae
View attachment 240675
She’s got her vest,arm bands,and that little jewel on her tiara. I’ve added in shoulder armor,a little gold thing on her top,some gold lining on her baggy pants,and a ring.

Did you think I would just do her?
View attachment 240677
It’s not much but I’ve given her silver shoulder armor,a black vest with sleeves and a skull on the back, and silver skulls on her baggy pants.
So what do you think?
Overall I think it is actually pretty decent. The gold lines on the pants don't work. There some Gold trim might work. The gold pauldrons are neat.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was thinking of having the hat work like that originally, but I wanted to incorporate an up air from her games and this was what I thought would work best/feel the most unique and have all of the pirate gear in her move set. Also with the hair whip for the neutral air I wanted it to be close to the games and since the storm puffs can only be moved by the hair whip like in her games I gave her an aerial option for more versatility on the storm puffs. Those were my thoughts when making it at least. This is what I made this move set for! I love the discussion!
The point of a nair is to hit on both sides, or those who get uncomfortably close to you. Even Megaman when he's shooting his Mega Buster in the air can punch people away with his cannon up close. A hair whip forward only hits forward and in a narrow, linear fashion too, which is something a forward air is supposed to. She has two fighter moves from the original that would work much better as nairs, a rapid somersault or a hair twirl while spinning. Without something like that, how do you expect her to land with only a predictable stall-then-fall (which let's face it, most of her moves that hit downward do)? It's so important even the Belmonts take this "liberty" with their nairs, spinning it around for close encounters when normally a simple press of the button in their games would have them whip forward.

Also, nothing strictly says only hair whips can move Storm Puffs. It's just those are the most convenient way of doing so in the games. I'd say any attack can move them, even enemy attacks, and it can cause self harm like it can in the original. Otherwise you could just hide under it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Vote Shantae guys!

You can vote for as many characters as you want!
Not really. Only the characters actually included in the poll. How are you supposed to trust the person setting this up to not have oversights or bias with this kind of poll? Most let you freely type in your picks because there's just too many to reasonably track.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, I'm watching the Pokemon Sword and Shield stream a screen saver at the moment lol. What are all of you up to?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
None of these fan polls affect anything in the slightest, so I'm not getting involved.

Planning to play some We :love: Katamari in a bit, head to the mall later, and get ready for the new season for a certain game tonight.
I just finished with Link's awakening last night, which is perfect timing since I'll be picking up Ghostbusters for the Switch later today.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve spammers getting in it, its obvious when its so high on here.
Steve is a legitimate choice and the majority of Steve fans hate that render, not to mention the Grotesque Steveposters are clearly a minority compared to how many follow the SteveForSmash twitter (whom also hate the grotesque render) + a lot more based on other polls and Youtube and stuff, and SteveForSmash actually shared the poll.

The Steveposters also frickin raided the SteveForSmash discord, they're all just trying to make fans look bad and annoy everyone.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Steve is a legitimate choice and the majority of Steve fans hate that render, not to mention the Grotesque Steveposters are clearly a minority compared to how many follow the SteveForSmash twitter (whom also hate the grotesque render) + a lot more, and SteveForSmash actually shared the poll.
Hmm well alright. Ive just gotten used to steve having stupidly high numbers out of nowhere in polls from spammers.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hmm well alright. Ive just gotten used to steve having stupidly high numbers out of nowhere in polls from spammers.
Sometimes the idea of having a character for Smash doesn't cross people's minds despite liking that character; admittedly it happened that way for me regarding Steve kind-of, as well as Skull Kid. I guess you could say Geno as well though I didn't know about him previously, I initially liked him only because of his cool design. I do remember liking Steve in Smash 4 days, though, and he was a popular Miiverse pick. It's probably because of the incessant and stupid "cringe" culture from people regarding Minecraft and how a lot of people were bashed for liking it around Smash Bros. stuff before its online resurgence; as a big Minecraft fan, I was also shy about posting Minecraft stuff on here before the Steve rumors made it relevant.

And the Steveposters are really just a minority of fake fans and I wish they'd all shut up, because even as a minority they're frickin annoying and people love to judge an entire fanbase off of them despite not liking it when someone does it to them.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
And the Steveposters are really just a minority of fake fans and I wish they'd all shut up, because even as a minority they're frickin annoying and people love to judge an entire fanbase off of them despite not liking it when someone does it to them.
Kind of like how there are Shantae Haters who act toxic while pretending to be fans and draw R34 for her series in an inane attempt to sabotage the fanbase.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Kind of like how there are Shantae Haters who act toxic while pretending to be fans and draw R34 for her series in an inane attempt to sabotage the fanbase.
I haven't seen those (aside from some rude people bashing Shantae and the fans), but yeah I don't doubt they're around here or other sites and that's a good comparison.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Welp, that poll is gone (deleted). Had already put my vote it, though, but wanted to check her score.

D

Deleted member

Welp, that poll is gone (deleted). Had already put my vote it, though, but wanted to check her score.
Not just that but the user who made the poll got deleted.

Since steve was higher tho, I declare him winner by default.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So why do you guys think we haven't received a release date for Seven Sirens yet? I really don't want to get my hopes up that it's because of the slight possibility she's in Smash. Tell me for what other reason you guys think they haven't announced the release date yet?

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So why do you guys think we haven't received a release date for Seven Sirens yet? I really don't want to get my hopes up that it's because of the slight possibility she's in Smash. Tell me for what other reason you guys think they haven't announced the release date yet?
We just need to have patience. I'm sure that we'll hear about it sooner rather than later. I think that WayForward are just weighing their options at possible times to announce their release dates, perhaps with Nintendo Direct, perhaps outside in a Twitter post. We have no real idea aside from "Soonish"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We just need to have patience. I'm sure that we'll hear about it sooner rather than later. I think that WayForward are just weighing their options at possible times to announce their release dates, perhaps with Nintendo Direct, perhaps outside in a Twitter post. We have no real idea aside from "Soonish"
The Game Awards or something like that is also coming soonish, isn't it?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'll admit, it does seem odd. I mean if it were getting a delay you'd think they would change the release date form it's current "2019" then again if they were releasing this year, you'd think they would know exactly when and could thus give us a specific month...

It is all very confusing. I'd also think that is has to be close to releasing soon since Apple users can already play a sizable portion of it. Unless the version Apple has is like an extended demo (in terms to the content of it's code) where there aren't any remnants of what the full game will be.

I don't think this is something we really can assume to mean anything for her chances in Smash, but we can't really rule it out either. So many balls in the air right now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'll admit, it does seem odd. I mean if it were getting a delay you'd think they would change the release date form it's current "2019" then again if they were releasing this year, you'd think they would know exactly when and could thus give us a specific month...

It is all very confusing. I'd also think that is has to be close to releasing soon since Apple users can already play a sizable portion of it. Unless the version Apple has is like an extended demo (in terms to the content of it's code) where there aren't any remnants of what the full game will be.

I don't think this is something we really can assume to mean anything for her chances in Smash, but we can't really rule it out either. So many balls in the air right now.
I think whatever trailer they have planned to reveal the release date has details, however minor, that are not in Part 1, and partly out of a desire to not spoil and partly to get as many buyers (Apple Arcade demo players or otherwise) to buy at launch as possible, launch the trailer very shortly before or even on the day it releases. A high-profile event may or may not be involved.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever WF is planning for the Seven Sirens, its going to happen soon on their terms.

Based on my guess, they might have more information coming either somewhere on October or November. Last info from WF was at PAX West 2019 started on Aug 31.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Imagine if WF retweeted the coming announcement for Terry when it gets close to his debut.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
I was thinking of making a moveset for shantae, but I can only imagine forward air and nair, any other suggestions?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was thinking of making a moveset for shantae, but I can only imagine forward air and nair, any other suggestions?
Ask yourself what kind of gameplay you want out of her first. Straightforward with minimal gimmicks? Full transformations (though I don't think this is a good idea, they're too specialized and even Seven Sirens is moving away from them)? Or a middle ground where you can dance to change certain moves by transforming? Then you can determine what aspects of Shantae you want represented, like how much of the Pirate Gear you want used: none at all, or all of it? Me personally, I again prefer a middle ground option where I take the ones that give unique functions like the scimitar and cannon, but leave out the pistol because fireballs do pretty much the same thing.

Above all though, don't feel the need to cram a reference down every move. Basic kicks and like work just fine as aerial moves.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've been tired this week and have been very busy with work so I haven't been on here that often lately.

I've notice the forums haven't been that progessive lately, so I think I will take a break for a couple of weeks or until November comes with Terry and the announcement of fighter #5.

See you guys in the next few weeks peace. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Welp. Guess I'll leave this here.

Whoa, Smashboards. What up with the dupes?
Regardless of what the current general opinion is, only the SSB4 ballot affects things in the end.

I think whatever trailer they have planned to reveal the release date has details, however minor, that are not in Part 1, and partly out of a desire to not spoil and partly to get as many buyers (Apple Arcade demo players or otherwise) to buy at launch as possible, launch the trailer very shortly before or even on the day it releases. A high-profile event may or may not be involved.
Whatever WF is planning for the Seven Sirens, its going to happen soon on their terms.

Based on my guess, they might have more information coming either somewhere on October or November. Last info from WF was at PAX West 2019 started on Aug 31.
At least it's a good thing their games aren't distributed by Wal-Mart, that chain's higher-ups doesn't care about not releasing stuff ahead of schedule.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Because rush the game and you unlock the bad ending.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I wonder if the Seven Sirens will have multiple endings. Pirate's Curse and Half Genie Hero has that.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm starting to feel conflict within me. I know that Shantae's been classified as an Indie character, but with regards to Seven Sirens and having Apple help them via allowing them to publish Seven Sirens as an Apple Arcade launch title, could she even still be an Indie character? I'm just so confused about how far the label can go before it just wears off like some old, disgusting sticker that just peels off a table.

Top Bottom