• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I NEED HER FOR THS GAME! its the only one where I feel we'll ever have EVERYONE together all at once!

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing random characters. When new fighters are released, I focus on them. I've been consistently playing a Shantae Mii Brawler since Hero's release because, ugh, Shantae would bring much much-needed fun and bright colors to Smash (not to mention having a female rep on FP1). Not just this game, but she would benefit Smash itself greatly if she's FP1-5 or FP2-1, because Smash needs a little life breathed into it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The short of my reasons for wanting to see Shantae in Smash is seeing how she's grown alongside it, which parallels how my own feelings towards her series developed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see once November comes over. For now, diving into Fighters Pass Final Invitation is becoming a highly contested debate.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I can't help but imagine that Shantae is like Son Goku from Dragon Ball. Not in a literal sense, but how they effectively are able to fight and survive against increasingly impossible odds, how even in the face of possible demise, they're able to just go "no u" against them and come out battered, but stronger.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
The short of my reasons for wanting to see Shantae in Smash is seeing how she's grown alongside it, which parallels how my own feelings towards her series developed.
What amazes me is how each entry is wildly different in their approach. The original was a lives-driven but interconnected platformer, RR was a 2D collectathon, SatPC was the Vania side (plus Warps) of Metroidvania, HGH was a 2.5D arcade platformer attempt, and SatSS is on the Metroid side (plus upgrading collectibles) of Metroidvania. All while managing minigames.

To be consistently above-average-to-great like Shantae has is impressive. Not even Final Fantasy, with its minigame blending, has managed that. Platinum might, but can't seem to keep substance and style balanced (have not heard enough on Astral Chain). Banjo-Kazooie and Sonic have had some entries with issues.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What amazes me is how each entry is wildly different in their approach. The original was a lives-driven but interconnected platformer, RR was a 2D collectathon, SatPC was the Vania side (plus Warps) of Metroidvania, HGH was a 2.5D arcade platformer attempt, and SatSS is on the Metroid side (plus upgrading collectibles) of Metroidvania. All while managing minigames.

To be consistently above-average-to-great like Shantae has is impressive. Not even Final Fantasy, with its minigame blending, has managed that. Platinum might, but can't seem to keep substance and style balanced (have not heard enough on Astral Chain). Banjo-Kazooie and Sonic have had some entries with issues.
Sly Cooper was consistently good as well, and that juggled up more gameplay changes as time went on until 3 (seriously, besides adding more characters with their own gameplay styles, 3 was a roulette in that regard). Thieves in Time cut down on that, but I'd rather not talk about that game.

Also, there's Jak going from a 3D collectathon to a GTA clone, to a racing game. And it was still good until Naughty Dog left.

Boktai apparently had gameplay shifts of its own, but still only consisted of four games.

It takes a lot of skill to keep it up for longer than that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

This quality shows in Wayforward's other games. Though so far only Mighty Switch Force has had the luxury of sequels and evolution (come oooon, playable Hooligans, I know you're the next step), everything else still manages to do their own thing and succeed at it. Like Mummy Demastered doing a Dark Souls style Metroidvania before Hollow Knight (and making licensed games good! Somehow they always avoid the perils of crunch with those...).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This quality shows in Wayforward's other games. Though so far only Mighty Switch Force has had the luxury of sequels and evolution (come oooon, playable Hooligans, I know you're the next step), everything else still manages to do their own thing and succeed at it. Like Mummy Demastered doing a Dark Souls style Metroidvania before Hollow Knight (and making licensed games good! Somehow they always avoid the perils of crunch with those...).
It helps that one of the first ones they did (Wendy: Every Witch Way) didn't have any crunch at all since it's tied to a show that got cancelled, so they had carte blanche on that one.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Anyone else getting heavy ads here all of a sudden?

I never minded the ads before, but recently I've been getting a lot of ads with audio. Those are always so annoying because they play horrible sound ontop of whatever you are doing and they take up extra resources so they often slow other programs down.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can't help but imagine that Shantae is like Son Goku from Dragon Ball. Not in a literal sense, but how they effectively are able to fight and survive against increasingly impossible odds, how even in the face of possible demise, they're able to just go "no u" against them and come out battered, but stronger.
Wayforward seems to be a big fan of Nintendo's tendency to march at the beat of their own drums, doing things on the merit of being cool and fun rather than just making sense.

Edit: But it's only years like this one where they truly get to express those desires.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
how much would most of you say you want Shantae? for me, I need her in this game is not the "next" installment, not only can I not wait that long, but it would no longer be ultimate so what's the point.
Shantae is like my 8th or 9th most wanted character so I wouldn't be terribly upset if she doesn't make it into Ultimate. But Ultimate certainly would feel more Ultimate with Shantae as she would finally give us a Indie rep.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
how much would most of you say you want Shantae? for me, I need her in this game is not the "next" installment, not only can I not wait that long, but it would no longer be ultimate so what's the point.
Shantae is my number 1. Mainly because she's the only one I actively want, my other picks are just too niche. For the rest I'm open to any creative fighter.

Shantae has always been an inspiration to me. They pulled the short stick on the first game and just kept trying since. Steadily they grew a solid fanbase.
Not to mention that WayForward is one of the most respectful game-companies I've ever seen, just look at how they treat the companies they work with and how true they are to their original content.
As a character Shantae ticks all the boxes of Sakurai's design etiquette I've seen so far, all while being a unique entry to the roster in many, many ways.
I really can't think of a character that fills as many factors as Shantae does, along side with her series and company.
And that's without mentioning just how fun she could be with her mechanics.

I mean, with all this together.... we get a spirit? The short stick again, huh? In my eyes Shantae deserves a whole lot more.
I won't ever stop supporting her, that's for sure!

PS: Happy spoopy month everyone!

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
She is definitely my top 3. Krystal sadly is a AT that I don't see evolving into a fighter this game. She was my number one choice. Ridley was number two. These three are the ones I wanted for a long time. I do have a few more that I wouldn't mind being playable, but I can live without them.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae, Banjo&Kazooie, and Lip are my 1,2, and 3

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have a top 5 list and Shantae is one of them.
the other 4 are Rayman, Geno, King K Rool and Ashley.

Also, a little off topic, Jeff is open for overwatch heroes having to enter Smash Bros.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae is my number 1. Mainly because she's the only one I actively want, my other picks are just too niche. For the rest I'm open to any creative fighter.

Shantae has always been an inspiration to me. They pulled the short stick on the first game and just kept trying since. Steadily they grew a solid fanbase.
Not to mention that WayForward is one of the most respectful game-companies I've ever seen, just look at how they treat the companies they work with and how true they are to their original content.
As a character Shantae ticks all the boxes of Sakurai's design etiquette I've seen so far, all while being a unique entry to the roster in many, many ways.
I really can't think of a character that fills as many factors as Shantae does, along side with her series and company.
And that's without mentioning just how fun she could be with her mechanics.

I mean, with all this together.... we get a spirit? The short stick again, huh? In my eyes Shantae deserves a whole lot more.
I won't ever stop supporting her, that's for sure!

PS: Happy spoopy month everyone!
Pulling the short stick has been Shantae's life story up until Seven Sirens. Couldn't stop Risky from powering the tech she continues to use to this day, had to fight her own corrupted magic (twice), her employer shows his true colors as a fair-weather idiot... It says a lot when even the ruined vacation that is the fifth game still seems to be the best time she's ever had (on-screen and in main modes, to be specific).

She doesn't get it as bad as someone like Bolo, but she's had to struggle just as much in the games as she does outside of them to earn widespread recognition. Still she moves forward, because following her heart has always worked out for everyone she knows in the end.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have a top 5 list and Shantae is one of them.
the other 4 are Rayman, Geno, King K Rool and Ashley.

Also, a little off topic, Jeff is open for overwatch heroes having to enter Smash Bros.
More specifically, he doesn't care who gets to be playable as long as one of his creations are accepted, even though his preference is Tracer.

I respect that point of view very highly, in an age where fans tend to invariably see the main character as the "boring" option.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since smash somtimes dose redesigns to some characters I though of a smash redesign of shantae
54AA42E2-F89E-49B0-9E03-F3BD96535544.png

She’s got her vest,arm bands,and that little jewel on her tiara. I’ve added in shoulder armor,a little gold thing on her top,some gold lining on her baggy pants,and a ring.

Did you think I would just do her?
B0FD0405-F8BF-4817-AC7A-A4D09DFF8296.png

It’s not much but I’ve given her silver shoulder armor,a black vest with sleeves and a skull on the back, and silver skulls on her baggy pants.
So what do you think?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
@Connorb0t2 Now I'm just imagining those exact designs redrawn by Yuji Uekawa, along with extra designs for Bolo, Sky, Rottytops, and Uncle Mimic. I dunno why or how, but your Shantae and Risky revamps give off this Sonic Adventure vibe.

Attachments

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a Shantae artwork for today
Artist: ZetaChris
afternoon_in_the_fall_by_zetachris_ddhhj8p-pre.jpg

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Since smash somtimes dose redesigns to some characters I though of a smash redesign of shantae
View attachment 240675
She’s got her vest,arm bands,and that little jewel on her tiara. I’ve added in shoulder armor,a little gold thing on her top,some gold lining on her baggy pants,and a ring.

Did you think I would just do her?
View attachment 240677
It’s not much but I’ve given her silver shoulder armor,a black vest with sleeves and a skull on the back, and silver skulls on her baggy pants.
So what do you think?
Shantae:
The larger vest and a thinner version of the ring, I like. The vest draws attention away from the sometimes problematic chest for some audiences. The ring is a nice touch but needs some background as to why she hasn't worn it already (and multiple gold rings would be just fine).

Everything else makes the design a bit noisy and/or top-heavy. I associate the tiara gem with heavy-handed '80's shows or other "entirely too fringe/cringe" lores.

One exception: I kind of like the idea of giving her see-through pants some trim. They got distracting (semi-lewd?) in the Studio Trigger intro. Maybe a dark red-and-purple that blends her purple hair into the rest of the outfit or ties in the darker triangle. Not a lot, just a touch, maybe at the ankle cuff or a "ring" of sideways-flowing detail at the lower leg. It'd be a similar effect to what Sakurai did to Rosalina's dress (which I don't really care for, but would be curious to see if it helps Shantae's outfit).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
More specifically, he doesn't care who gets to be playable as long as one of his creations are accepted, even though his preference is Tracer.

I respect that point of view very highly, in an age where fans tend to invariably see the main character as the "boring" option.
Wouldn't "boring main character" be more fitting of Soldier: 76?

I will say that her Recall ability seems way easier to incorporate in a balanced and faithful way than something like Byleth's Divine Pulses.

Dukefire

Smash Master

I will say that her Recall ability seems way easier to incorporate in a balanced and faithful way than something like Byleth's Divine Pulses.
Though, her abilities can't be spammed since it can lead to overheating the Chrono Accelerator. Leaving her unable to Blink, Recall and even using her guns

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'm fairly certain that Genji would get ANIME SWORDSMAN complaints somehow. I wouldn't mind at all though, he's the closest we'd ever get to Gray Fox or Raiden.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, theories for Smash on October. The characters as the spotlight for now:
An Overwatch Rep + OW coming to switch in 12 days
Geno
Doom Slayer

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey all, just made a move list for Shantae in Smash Ultimate. Check it out and tell me what you think. I went into detail for her costumes, stage, music, and some other stuff. As a side note I got all of the pictures from google images. No images were created by me.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pM6mievYY2iGCCV3iunmJ_rJBK7yrFF5bB0M55d_-Y4/edit?usp=sharing
Can't the hat just be used after cannon jumps like how Game & Watch parachutes after Fire? I'm also getting really tired of suggestions that neutral aerial be a hair whip, the Belmonts don't do that for theirs so why should Shantae? Makes her unnecessarily weak in aerial close quarter combat for someone who doesn't zone that much.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Can't the hat just be used after cannon jumps like how Game & Watch parachutes after Fire? I'm also getting really tired of suggestions that neutral aerial be a hair whip, the Belmonts don't do that for theirs so why should Shantae? Makes her unnecessarily weak in aerial close quarter combat for someone who doesn't zone that much.
Not really?

manny97

Smash Rookie
I was thinking of having the hat work like that originally, but I wanted to incorporate an up air from her games and this was what I thought would work best/feel the most unique and have all of the pirate gear in her move set. Also with the hair whip for the neutral air I wanted it to be close to the games and since the storm puffs can only be moved by the hair whip like in her games I gave her an aerial option for more versatility on the storm puffs. Those were my thoughts when making it at least. This is what I made this move set for! I love the discussion!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
For now, theories for Smash on October. The characters as the spotlight for now:
An Overwatch Rep + OW coming to switch in 12 days
Geno
Doom Slayer
I have my doubts that there'll be an announcement that early, after the entire BK hype train that was September 4th. Not because I worry about Sakurai, but because it wouldn't blend well with a Terry Bogard release date announcement.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have my doubts that there'll be an announcement that early, after the entire BK hype train that was September 4th. Not because I worry about Sakurai, but because it wouldn't blend well with a Terry Bogard release date announcement.
Same here, Nintendo has been sticking with a new announcement after a announcement. So why break it now?
Screenshot_20190920-145012_YouTube.jpg

Top Bottom