• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That'd be intriguing though, what if during the course of Seven Sirens, Shantae really does get her magic sucked out of her again and she has to go ZSS and get to the chamber where her magic is sealed in the lamp.
I think it’d be so satisfying for Shantae to just elephant stomp that lamp and not have to worry about it again.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I see Shantae subscribes to the TTGL school of clothing holding itself up through sheer force of will.
Not sure how you'd unintentionally do that though with how much time typically goes into making these portraits.
Best case scenario I think is that getting fixed in a post-release patch.
Genie magic, best not to question it.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Eh. It's not very iconic, and not as strong as it looks.

If Megaman can use a black hole for a get-together with his buddies from the futures, why can't Shantae do the same with a magic lamp and her current friends?
If you wanted to go about being iconic why would you choose the lamp in the first place?It's been in all of 2 games and was only really important in 1 of them.If a FS needs to be really iconic it should be an amped cloud puff if anything.
Also not really where you're coming from with "it isn't as strong as it looks".If you were to believe smash then Corrins dragon form has hydrokinesis comparable to Azuras dance in Cyrkensia rather than just making a few droplets of water float in the air and Link can immobilize people with the power of the triforce of courage.
A good chunk of FSs are just exaggerated versions of things characters can do in canon to begin with.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Even if Shantae's fan support somehow isn't enough reason, her persistence to keep on going screams to not give up on dreams which is to be respected. Few can be left sane like Matt Bozon to wait an 8 year hiatus for your first game to finally get that sequel you want and be popular down the line later still holding onto what he and his family envisioned for the half-genie that some tried altering in those business deals to be a dude for example.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Even if Shantae's fan support somehow isn't enough reason, her persistence to keep on going screams to not give up on dreams which is to be respected. Few can be left sane like Matt Bozon to wait an 8 year hiatus for your first game to finally get that sequel you want and be popular down the line later still holding onto what he and his family envisioned for the half-genie that some tried altering in those business deals to be a dude for example.
Yeah, it really puts thing into perspective. Even is she doesn't get into Smash we can all agree how fortunate we are that Matt and everyone at WF stuck with it long enough to get her foot in the door, and then stuck with it after her first game didn't sell as well to eventually build her into the on going series she has now.

It's honestly a small miracle that she's around at all when you consider how many media projects never get past such a difficult debut.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you wanted to go about being iconic why would you choose the lamp in the first place?It's been in all of 2 games and was only really important in 1 of them.If a FS needs to be really iconic it should be an amped cloud puff if anything.
Also not really where you're coming from with "it isn't as strong as it looks".If you were to believe smash then Corrins dragon form has hydrokinesis comparable to Azuras dance in Cyrkensia rather than just making a few droplets of water float in the air and Link can immobilize people with the power of the triforce of courage.
A good chunk of FSs are just exaggerated versions of things characters can do in canon to begin with.
So you're saying an optional upgrade in 1 game is more iconic than something that plays a major role in two, even being a mandatory tool to progress in the arguably most popular game? Not to mention it being a thing that is deeply associated with what Shantae is even outside the game?

I just meant Electric Storm's damage isn't that impressive compared to everything that goes into getting it (it's great for other reasons, though). But the lamp I'm suggesting is just the first part of the move, so you can use Electric Storm after that if you really must.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this stage, the game should come out sometime between now and December 31st. With how random the info trickling has been, I wouldn't be shocked if the whole thing gets shadow-dropped with great fanfare.

D-NbyNXVUAEGfoN.jpg

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Have we talked about her logo possibly just being her house from the HGH logo?

shantaesmashlogo.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it’d be so satisfying for Shantae to just elephant stomp that lamp and not have to worry about it again.
Than Shantae would be like...

She would rule the world without no lamp in the way of trying to take away her powers lol!

I think I would like to be ruled by Shantae. :evil:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Based on WF pattern with info relased for Shantae, it might be either on November for Thankgiving holiday or December for Christmas. Which also holds the VGA on December 5.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why wouldn't she just do that in the first place, if she hated it that much and wanted to be absolutely sure it would never be used again? Nothing indicates it to be somehow indestructible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, one important thing to take away here. Half-genies have only been recent in Shantae's setting.

This makes the mass genie exodus an even bigger issue than ever before. The half-genies that are the focus of this game hold the future of their race in their own hands.

Why wouldn't she just do that in the first place, if she hated it that much and wanted to be absolutely sure it would never be used again? Nothing indicates it to be somehow indestructible.
Sure, but it's better to chuck it as deep into the ocean as possible, being impossible to find is apparently more surefire than it getting fixed by some shady individual after being broken somehow. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Sure, but it's better to chuck it as deep into the ocean as possible, being impossible to find is apparently more surefire than it getting fixed by some shady individual after being broken somehow. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.
Or Both? Honestly, breaking it would be better than hiding it, since hiding things have never worked out for anybody. At least in fictional settings, where villain's manage to find these things all the time. Whereas breaking it would make it difficult to even piece it back together (If that's even an option by the time it's found) and could even have the added bonus of ridding it of its mystical properties.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
So you're saying an optional upgrade in 1 game is more iconic than something that plays a major role in two, even being a mandatory tool to progress in the arguably most popular game? Not to mention it being a thing that is deeply associated with what Shantae is even outside the game?

I just meant Electric Storm's damage isn't that impressive compared to everything that goes into getting it (it's great for other reasons, though). But the lamp I'm suggesting is just the first part of the move, so you can use Electric Storm after that if you really must.
tbf sans a tutorial when you first get it you can go through the entirety of pirates curse without ever using the lamp from beginning to end credits.You just get locked out of the true ending is all.
I wouldn't say being optional means much either way either since most of any halfway decent moveset that isn't based entirely on her using Risky's equipment is going to use technically optional material since every single MP reducing relic(aside from the cloud puff in RR) can technically be bypassed anyway.
Not like she's a character lacking in FS options anyway.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Maybe they are planning to use Half-Genie magic to drag the genies into their world (HGH plot recycled) or for their own wish desires both with stripping magic away from the Half-Genies

Or possible to summon djinns like the prototype story of Shantae before her debut on the GBC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, what are the odds that the Barons are on this island somehow? I have a hard time believing that Scuttle Town would be left alone from danger during Shantae and the FttE's trip if they're all absent from this game.

Or Both? Honestly, breaking it would be better than hiding it, since hiding things have never worked out for anybody. At least in fictional settings, where villain's manage to find these things all the time. Whereas breaking it would make it difficult to even piece it back together (If that's even an option by the time it's found) and could even have the added bonus of ridding it of its mystical properties.
In any case, so far none of the villains have even bothered to try and find it again or even stumbled upon it, so at this stage it doesn't really seem to matter that much right now. If it backfires, it'll probably be ages before it's even brought up again for starting up another sequel scenario. :drshrug:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man that new video from commonwealth realm just bugged me. 10 seconds in rodgers base just says shantae has no shot and the only indie that will be playable is Frisk. Claims shantae is fitting as a spirit for her level of relevence.

The frick rodgers base?!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Man that new video from commonwealth realm just bugged me. 10 seconds in rodgers base just says shantae has no shot and the only indie that will be playable is Frisk. Claims shantae is fitting as a spirit for her level of relevence.

The frick rodgers base?!
What an ignorant ******* comment "Japan doesn't care about this character (Shantae)" I laughed when I heard that.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

The frick rodgers base?!
I've never really liked that guy. Never agreed with his opinions, never liked how he always seems to talk like he's the most important one in the conversation, and definitely understood the overwhelming amount of love for him.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
>Sans Mii costume and UT song solely get in due to popularity
>"ackshually, Frisk is still likely"
He doesn't know how this works at all, does he?
Whenever I see undertale discussion for "Who I want playable in Smash" It is almost ALWAYS Sans...and when its NOT Sans, its because the person thinks Sans is unlikely due to not being maincharacter/spoiler" Most people want Sans FAAAR more than Frisk.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whenever I see undertale discussion for "Who I want playable in Smash" It is almost ALWAYS Sans...and when its NOT Sans, its because the person thinks Sans is unlikely due to not being maincharacter/spoiler" Most people want Sans FAAAR more than Frisk.
And at the rate things are going, people will prefer Kris (and Susie) over Frisk since Deltarune is bound to be out by the next Smash anyway.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And at the rate things are going, people will prefer Kris (and Susie) over Frisk since Deltarune is bound to be out by the next Smash anyway.
Its almost like how people prefer a character with actual character over what is basically a blank slate.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman

You know who doesn't get any love who would have a damn good move set?

D

Deleted member

The only way i see characters out of the running is if the character has songs from their series in the other section.

Shantae and rayman don’t have songs so they still have a chance. Same goes with geno but that’s just square being stingy

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I feel like they wouldn’t have bundled a remix of the most recognizable song in the game with the Sans costume and would’ve waited if they were planning on making Undertale fully represented in Smash with Frisk as the fighter.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, one important thing to take away here. Half-genies have only been recent in Shantae's setting.

This makes the mass genie exodus an even bigger issue than ever before. The half-genies that are the focus of this game hold the future of their race in their own hands.

What's stopping the genies from coming back if they really need to, though? If they need to maintain a constant extradimensional vigil, couldn't they send just one or two at a time?

tbf sans a tutorial when you first get it you can go through the entirety of pirates curse without ever using the lamp from beginning to end credits.You just get locked out of the true ending is all.
I wouldn't say being optional means much either way either since most of any halfway decent moveset that isn't based entirely on her using Risky's equipment is going to use technically optional material since every single MP reducing relic(aside from the cloud puff in RR) can technically be bypassed anyway.
Not like she's a character lacking in FS options anyway.
How do you carry key items Ham Stink and Manly Musk without it?

So, what are the odds that the Barons are on this island somehow? I have a hard time believing that Scuttle Town would be left alone from danger during Shantae and the FttE's trip if they're all absent from this game.

In any case, so far none of the villains have even bothered to try and find it again or even stumbled upon it, so at this stage it doesn't really seem to matter that much right now. If it backfires, it'll probably be ages before it's even brought up again for starting up another sequel scenario. :drshrug:
What baron's interest wouldn't be piqued by the Mayor's advertisement campaign?

Given how much of this game looks to take place deep underwater so far, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to stumble upon it again... but doesn't it require some doodads to fulfill it's true wish-granting potential? What happened to them after Risky's Revenge? Without them all it seems to do is suck in stray magic and scents. Shantae seems to be able to absorb magic in a similar way by dancing, though doing so while it's dark could be hazardous. Dancing in Seven Sirens so far seems to fill in for lamp, with it pulling in gems.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, if the costume came out by itself I could almost buy the possibility of an Undertale character. However it released with Undertale's most popular song and since part of the value of a new character is the music that comes with them, I don;t see why they would sell the games biggest hit separate from the character.

Also, the mechanics of Frisk just doesn't work for a fighting game. The whole point of the game is that you can win being peaceful and making friend, or being violent and killing everyone. In Smash you would only be representing half of who Frisk as a character is and it would be the half that most fans don't choose to play as. Sans was really Undertale's only chance as a fighter and even he didn't see like a good fit since his battle is a huge spoiler for the twist in his character.

No, I'm sorry to say, but anyone who still thinks we have an Undertale rep coming after the Sans costume reveal is just delusional.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Can't say anything about it. People will always throw in an idea crazy or not to fuel the fire.

Again, we can only wait until more official news appears from the companies. Like this recent one from pokemon:

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This meme is a big oof. It has nothing relating to Shantae, but more just a showcase of something that happened at DisneyWorld iirc?
Disney isn't paying due to Square Enix, and above the Kingdom Hearts logo, the Square Enix name isn't there while normally, both names are up there.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What game are they playing with the year coming to a close in 3 months?

Also......

Screenshot_20190915-015022_YouTube.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
Keep in mind Part 1 and other future episodes are only available to Apple Arcade services. So, you can if you have Apple Arcade.

If not, just wait until the game is fully ready.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, if the costume came out by itself I could almost buy the possibility of an Undertale character. However it released with Undertale's most popular song and since part of the value of a new character is the music that comes with them, I don;t see why they would sell the games biggest hit separate from the character.

Also, the mechanics of Frisk just doesn't work for a fighting game. The whole point of the game is that you can win being peaceful and making friend, or being violent and killing everyone. In Smash you would only be representing half of who Frisk as a character is and it would be the half that most fans don't choose to play as. Sans was really Undertale's only chance as a fighter and even he didn't see like a good fit since his battle is a huge spoiler for the twist in his character.

No, I'm sorry to say, but anyone who still thinks we have an Undertale rep coming after the Sans costume reveal is just delusional.
Yeah, at this stage people should just take their eggs and put it into Deltarune's basket, that has more potential for reps anyway, especially considering that it has three party members rather than just the one you have for Undertale's entire playthrough.

Did wayforward just pull off a smash bros style shadowdrop?
Uh, apparently. Reminds me of those cancelled initial plans for Risky's Revenge of having an episodic game.

I was expecting a release date, but this'll do. Yet I'm still wondering about this game being rushed Ultimate-style to get out in time...

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Did wayforward just pull off a smash bros style shadowdrop?

Oh please tell me this game isn't going to be episodic...

I get immensely paranoid with episodic gaming and the questionable decisions made over the years by the industry.
Also why Apple Arcade?

Wayforward, when you say things like "more details coming soon" that better be *really* soon because I can't help but get some red flags here...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Keep in mind Part 1 and other future episodes are only available to Apple Arcade services. So, you can if you have Apple Arcade.

If not, just wait until the game is fully ready.
How large will this Part 1 be, though? I hope it's just simply the intro up to Water Lily Siren, because any more and we might get into spoiler territory.

Top Bottom