• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How do you all think the meeting to put Shantae into Smash as a spirit went?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Dragon Quest is EXTREMELY popular in Japan so you are absolutely wrong about no one wanting Hero. Only most westerners wouldn't want a Dragon Quest rep.
I'm well aware of DQ's popularity in Japan, but that doesn't mean he was highly requested. NOBODY was asking for hero until he was already rumored to be in. He was so low on even Japan's radar for Smash. Just because a character is popular doesn't mean they're wanted in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm well aware of DQ's popularity in Japan, but that doesn't mean he was highly requested. NOBODY was asking for hero until he was already rumored to be in. He was so low on even Japan's radar for Smash. Just because a character is popular doesn't mean they're wanted in Smash.
I think they would have been fine with anyone from DQ, seeing as there hasn't been any particularly big demand for Slime, Torneko, Jessica, Terry, Alena...

Besides, the ballot is still a suggestion box. Even if a character only got a single supporter on it, Sakurai and crew will notice the suggestion and maybe even consider it sooner or later. The only outlier is Joker. Probably because Nintendo followed Sakurai's Twitter account and noticed he liked P5.

Heck, this poll from 2015 shows that Slime got some supporters at the rank of 204. Hero didn't do as well, but was still there on rank 272: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1riZ4HDxzIjb8OmJyV2T9KgG6M1X-r6siXljFH1nQwdw/edit#gid=0

And that list still doesn't show the full picture of how massive the worldwide character ballot support was.

Every noteworthy game character in history has at least one person wanting them in Smash. Even Steve has some fans on this board, and I don't talk about the "overlord Steve" meme ones.

It really doesn't to me who won since we got :ultbayonetta1:, :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, and :ultsnake: as well as probably every veteran in the damn series back because of it.

Call me crazy, but if I had to guess who won the Smash Ballot, it probably was either Sora or Goku if not Bayonetta, K. Rool, or Banjo & Kazooie.
Just noticed this now.

But yeah, when you think about it, "ballot winner" is such a loaded assumed statement, especially considering that most characters with moderately high support suggested on the Brawl poll eventually became playable. Licensed characters are still right out even if Goku supposedly got enough support because of memes/lel Bamco.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, another thing that came back in mind for me;

Assuming it still applies, one stated criteria for a character is for them to have "history", which amounts to having more than one game. Shantae easily has this going for her, seeing as other notable indies tend to either still only have one game (re-releases or remakes notwithstanding), or came too little, too late with their planned sequels.

Edit: As an addendum, old-school characters are obviously exempt from this if they're strongly related to Nintendo. :ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Assuming it still applies, one stated criteria for a character is for them to have "history", which amounts to having more than one game. Shantae easily has this going for her, seeing as other notable indies tend to either still only have one game (re-releases or remakes notwithstanding), or came too little, too late with their planned sequels.
This is exactly why I believe out of all the Indie characters Shantae has the best shot.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Edit: As an addendum, old-school characters are obviously exempt from this if they're strongly related to Nintendo. :ultduckhunt:
It's always been seen as Shantae's main advantage over other indies. But it goes further than that when it comes to relations with Nintendo.

Risky's Revenge brought light to a relatively niche service bereft of quality titles. You could actually call it one of the best digital titles in a time where digital was just getting started. Why DSiWare? Probably because of mutual loyalty between the fans and Wayforward for their first release on Game Boy Color. A loyalty that would continue to last even in the years where Nintendo was down on their luck in the console market. Wayforward didn't let poor Wii U sales stop them from making Pirate's Curse, still the pinnacle of the series to some, exclusive to that and the 3DS, at least for a while. But it was only because of that commitment that they became successful enough to freely release on multiple platforms.

Nintendo and Wayforward have been scratching each other's back for a long time, and outside work done for other companies, it's a safe bet whatever they release will be on a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, more youtube support for our girl. A few days ago, Aaronitmar made a video about characters who could get in as future DLC and he listed Shantae in the possible side of things (listing characters like Sora and Steve as not likely)

And then today The Completionist wore a Shante shirt in his review of BanjoKazooie: Nuts and Bolts

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, more youtube support for our girl. A few days ago, Aaronitmar made a video about characters who could get in as future DLC and he listed Shantae in the possible side of things (listing characters like Sora and Steve as not likely)

And then today The Completionist wore a Shante shirt in his review of BanjoKazooie: Nuts and Bolts
The Completionist wearing a shirt with our gal on it? That's awesome.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I saw a guy named OHKO who has about 100k subscribers name Shantae as the most likely indie character in a video released either today or yesterday. It was a pleasant surprise since he once said he didn't think any indie would be playable before Shovel Knight.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seems that many people are buying into the narrative of these indie inclusions building up to a playable Shantae.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, as I said before, the only real obstacle in Shantae's path now is, ironically enough, Inti Creates.

They have their own indie creation, Gunvolt, and also a legacy Sunsoft character in Jason. Both have something to offer and could get in over her. Especially since the HGH collab officially ended.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
In any case, as I said before, the only real obstacle in Shantae's path now is, ironically enough, Inti Creates.

They have their own indie creation, Gunvolt, and also a legacy Sunsoft character in Jason. Both have something to offer and could get in over her. Especially since the HGH collab officially ended.
I highly doubt it. I have never seen a single person even mention Gunvolt in the realm of Smash DLC. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I highly doubt it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I highly doubt it. I have never seen a single person even mention Gunvolt in the realm of Smash DLC. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I highly doubt it.
He might work better as an assist, to be honest. His main ability seems a bit too hard to balance in playable form.

D

Deleted member

I doubt it

Besides I haven’t even seen him in fan polls lately

I wouldn’t worry about it

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

In all fairness, wouldn't Jason fall under the Retro catagory instead of Indie? As well, what's generally more famous: Jason or the Sohpia III tank he pilots? Chances are that if we're going to see a Playable Jason, it would likely be in the Sophia III than a pilot himself. It does help that, unlike most tanks which are larger than most characters like the Landmaster, the Sophia III can be a fairly small tank, about the size of Bowser with the height of a slightly smaller character like Mario.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

Inti-creates is a fantastic company, to me they are the "Japanese Wayforward" (or is WF the English Inti-creates???) But in the relm of smash nothing they have done really has much an impact on discussion. After Shantae, GV is my personal next pic tho. and after Shantae gets in GV is gonna get all my attention.

As for Jason, he himself isnt really noteworthy, all anyone remembers about blaster master is Sophia, so while i dont think its impossible for Sakurai to make Sophia III a character, I think it really fits the AT roll perfectly. (lets you scale it up to a more "tank" size")

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In all fairness, wouldn't Jason fall under the Retro catagory instead of Indie? As well, what's generally more famous: Jason or the Sohpia III tank he pilots? Chances are that if we're going to see a Playable Jason, it would likely be in the Sophia III than a pilot himself. It does help that, unlike most tanks which are larger than most characters like the Landmaster, the Sophia III can be a fairly small tank, about the size of Bowser with the height of a slightly smaller character like Mario.
I will say, I did occasionally think half-jokingly that Sophia would be an improved version of the Landmaster FS, but this is actually a better idea. Much better than people suggesting the Metal Slug itself as a playable rep. Let's not forget that Eve would do co-piloting.

Inti-creates is a fantastic company, to me they are the "Japanese Wayforward" (or is WF the English Inti-creates???) But in the relm of smash nothing they have done really has much an impact on discussion. After Shantae, GV is my personal next pic tho. and after Shantae gets in GV is gonna get all my attention.

As for Jason, he himself isnt really noteworthy, all anyone remembers about blaster master is Sophia, so while i dont think its impossible for Sakurai to make Sophia III a character, I think it really fits the AT roll perfectly. (lets you scale it up to a more "tank" size")
In any case, it's becoming obvious that Sakurai is starting to run out of Japanese companies to pick one third party from. Atlus was already considered "niche" by outsiders, so it stands to reason that we're no longer going to stick to really huge names as much. It's either scraping as much of the barrel as possible, or do more Westerners like Rare and Microsoft.

By the way, speaking of collabs...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._being_added_to_taiko_no_tatsujin_as_paid_dlc

Bamco's love for Undertale runs much deeper than expected.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
In any case, it's becoming obvious that Sakurai is starting to run out of Japanese companies to pick one third party from. Atlus was already considered "niche" by outsiders, so it stands to reason that we're no longer going to stick to really huge names as much. It's either scraping as much of the barrel as possible, or do more Westerners like Rare and Microsoft.
The alternate third option there is to grab characters from third parties that already have a rep. Capcom and Square come to mind, and I expect to see one more character at least from both.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The alternate third option there is to grab characters from third parties that already have a rep. Capcom and Square come to mind, and I expect to see one more character at least from both.
Yeah, especially considering FF7R coming next year. If Square isn't acting cheapo, they'll probably save extra content for a newcomer from FF7.

Although there isn't a stated "limit" for character-picking from a company, we'll see what happens.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, especially considering FF7R coming next year. If Square isn't acting cheapo, they'll probably save extra content for a newcomer from FF7.

Although there isn't a stated "limit" for character-picking from a company, we'll see what happens.
I don't think we will see any secondary unique 3rd party reps in Ultimate, but if we happen too I believe our first character will either be Tails or Chun-Li due to how iconic they're. Tails' Mii costume was brought back when Joker dropped, so he is out in my book. So I think if anybody, it's going to be Chun-Li. Maybe Sephiroth? But I would bet on Chun-Li more than anyone right now for our first secondary unique 3rd party rep.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I don't think we will see any secondary unique 3rd party reps in Ultimate, but if we happen too I believe our first character will either be Tails or Chun-Li due to how iconic they're. Tails' Mii costume was brought back when Joker dropped, so he is out in my book. So I think if anybody, it's going to be Chun-Li. Maybe Sephiroth? But I would bet on Chun-Li more than anyone right now for our first secondary unique 3rd party rep.
I doubt Chun Li will happen. A third Street Fighter character? Really? Capcom's got so many properties you can pull from. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, etc. Sorry if I come off as a little rude, I just don't understand.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, we got the movie Promare coming in two days.

Also, Shantae and the Seven Sirens opening will play before the movie starts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good lord, I just said there aren't any arbitrary third party "limits" that we know of. Don't want this thread to resort to fan rules when we have no idea how long the DLC lasts now...

Do you figure they might reveal the game's release date after the opening finishes? At least the next two days will go by quickly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I doubt Chun Li will happen. A third Street Fighter character? Really? Capcom's got so many properties you can pull from. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, etc. Sorry if I come off as a little rude, I just don't understand.
What, was it how I worded it? I only said Chun-Li was most likely IF WE EVER GET SECONDARY UNIQUE 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS IN THE ROSTER. I honestly expect more protagonist characters from franchises who's company are already in Smash.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Good lord, I just said there aren't any arbitrary third party "limits" that we know of. Don't want this thread to resort to fan rules when we have no idea how long the DLC lasts now...

Do you figure they might reveal the game's release date after the opening finishes? At least the next two days will go by quickly.
I don't think the release date might appear since Promare is Trigger's spotlight nationwide. But, anything can happen.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Really wish I could go see it. Unfortunately it's through the week and I'll have to miss it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, might as well put Promare movie trailer and Shantae and the Seven Sirens short opening with the Nationwide premiere coming on Sept 17 & 19.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think the release date might appear since Promare is Trigger's spotlight nationwide. But, anything can happen.
By that logic, the SSS trailer shouldn't even be there in the first place, as it shows right before the darn film. But yeah.

What, was it how I worded it? I only said Chun-Li was most likely IF WE EVER GET SECONDARY UNIQUE 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS IN THE ROSTER. I honestly expect more protagonist characters from franchises who's company are already in Smash.
And yet some of us somehow expect Risky to accompany Shantae. :4pacman:

That box theory really did a number on this fanbase, didn't it.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The problem with fighting characters like Chun-Li or Blanka is that they have charge inputs that would be very cumbersome to pull off in the high-mobility world of Smash.

You folks can let me know how the story turns out between firefighter Spring Man and pyro Edelgard when Promare releases. In the meantime, I'll be thinking of this ditty to go with it:

Except, uh, it's a guy. Unless some villain turns out to be secretly good?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Having played through the story of River City Girls and learned the truth...

Misako is an utter psychopath that treats anyone and everyone, with scant few exceptions, with contempt, and even those she claims to like or love aren't safe from her wrath if they displease her in any way. The double date shown in the opening, which turns out to be the first and only one, demonstrates this when Kunio teases her by stealing the last piece of food, and she grabs him by the collar to yell in his face. She's utterly obsessed with fighting, even by River City standards, with violence being her first and preferred answer to everything, and if you're not fighting with or against her she doesn't give an iota of care for you as a person. The only thing greater than her love of fighting is her obsession with Kunio.

Then there's the sad case that is Kyoko, a normally sweet girl that is badly influenced by her best friend Misako. She sticks with her for standing up to some bullies years ago (given the flashback is from their perspective though, it's likely to be heavily exaggerated and skewed to fit their narrative, as is all their interactions with Hasebe and Mami), but in the present day it's clear that Misako is the dominant one and both directly and indirectly (likely out of trying to be like or get Misako's respect) pulling her into committing misdeeds. She shows far more empathy than Misako ever does, and several times has moments of lucidity where she seems to notice how ridiculous their antics are, or that just maybe Kunio and Riki really don't love them. Every time she does, Misako shuts her down, preventing the both of them from ever learning from their mistakes. She's been shown to have friends other than Misako, but she's prone to brushing them off in the latter's presence.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere down the line, Misako will wind up stabbing Kyoko in the back if it means she'll get more time with her Kunio.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys, where would you score Shantae's chances of being the fifth and final character in the Season Pass? I would rate her chances at 35% percent.

Top Bottom