• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Sora is unlikely to me atleast for fighter pass since he's another JRPG Square character (well Disney) and Bandanna Dee is just...not hype enough for FINAL CHARACTER IN SEASON PASS!
It would be for me. Bandana Dee is my second most wanted character in Smash. It absolutely is hype enough. I would literally cry to see Bandana Dee finally make it in.

Sakurai doesn't really seem to care about hype endings though. See: Corrin, Piranha Plant/Kencineroar, Shulk.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think that quote from Sakurai about popular characters is about backlash from too much demand, just that he wants people to be a little more creative with their choices, or pick based on who they really want and not some sort of "obligation" or expectation.

At any rate, Shantae has respectable and consistent demand, not overflowing. And how many times do we have to try establishing patterns and having them blow up in our faces before we give up? Especially with something as subjective as hype?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I have made a discovery in the smash ultimate credits that might help shantae
Ok So this is the original game supervisors without fighters in the credits in ultimate before joker
and this is the original game supervisors without fighters after joker released
Notice the difference?

Since atlus got a fighter they moved the company up to the ogs with fighters

Meaning that if a company gets represented without a fighter(spirit) and are down there but later on the company's character dose get in as a fighter the company will get moved up there with the ogs that are fighters

To end it all...
Shantae has a chance to get in. No matter how many haters and fan rules stand in her way.
View attachment 238104
I HAVE HEARD THE SONG! WE AWAIT YOUR WORDS, SAKURAI!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think that quote from Sakurai about popular characters is about backlash from too much demand, just that he wants people to be a little more creative with their choices, or pick based on who they really want and not some sort of "obligation" or expectation.

At any rate, Shantae has respectable and consistent demand, not overflowing. And how many times do we have to try establishing patterns and having them blow up in our faces before we give up? Especially with something as subjective as hype?
Exactly. I mean, you get the usual fan wishes, and then you get more esoteric ideas that are brushed off or not paid attention to very much, as Arcadenik Arcadenik can attest to.

And yeah, as a Smash veteran, I can tell you that every single character pattern of some sort has always ended with a more creative choice, that's the only solid "pattern" that's always remained consistent even now, while all the others are proven wrong in some way ("this game won't have third-part--, this game can't have more than one third-party for each comp--, characters that are ATs will never be playa--", and so forth). I was there when people thought that Melee's final roster was an oddly-designed fake.

For all we know, the next character will be a first-party, when everyone's pegged this pass to only have third parties.

Just don't ask for licensed characters, that's Harada's department.

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Imagine Shantae's reveal trailer starts with all the fighters, including DLC facing off against Galeem and Dharkon and a spirit wanders over and sort of turns to see them fighting and it begins to vibrate or illuminate and out forms Shantae in a burst of light.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Imagine Shantae's reveal trailer starts with all the fighters, including DLC facing off against Galeem and Dharkon and a spirit wanders over and sort of turns to see them fighting and it begins to vibrate or illuminate and out forms Shantae in a burst of light.
Good but maybe have the spirit get caught in the crossfire of Galeem and Dharkon's feud so they both accidentally free her.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
She'd have to find a trophy stand to do this. It's what separates the fighters (who only get re-trophyfied) and non-combatants who become spirits. Finding one of them seems like the object of a smaller, more discreet quest, perhaps headed by a DLC party?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Okay, honest question.

If she becomes playable and her trailer isn't about her prior spirit status at all, how would you feel?

I mean, Hero's trailer has him come out of fibbing nowhere, so the rest is left to the imagination.
I wouldn't mind it in the least. If she's in that honestly all I need. And honestly lore wise it isn't necessary since lots of current fighters already have spirits in the game, so the current fighters didn't have to some how come back from being a spirit.

Honestly, if she if the Final member of the fighters pass, I would want her reveal trailer to also be a duel reveal to show the first DLC member after the pass, ideally Dixie since they have so much in common.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Okay, honest question.

If she becomes playable and her trailer isn't about her prior spirit status at all, how would you feel?

I mean, Hero's trailer has him come out of fibbing nowhere, so the rest is left to the imagination.
I'd feel that's a missed opportunity, ultimately. But not something that'd break her reveal trailer in two.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Okay, honest question.

Just her reveal alone would have everything made by fan rule decree automatically not age well so I'd still be happy.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Just her reveal alone would have everything made by fan rule decree automatically not age well so I'd still be happy.
I'm gonna jot this down for everyone.

Shantae getting in would in just her alone BTFO:

1.Indies can't be playable
2.Shantae isn't good enough of an indie compared to Shovel Knight/Sans/Quote/Reimu who deserve the spot more.
3.Spirits can't get in.
4.Shantae only has support due to WayForward's shilling/begging for votes.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Minor off topic niggle but I actually know the original artist so lemme plug Maxa here
https://www.deviantart.com/maxa-art/art/Yarr--580355621
https://maxa-postrophe.tumblr.com/

I've commissioned him a few times when he was available. He's great.
Ah my bad, i had no idea. You friend is great, and you say there is a bunny girl shantae?

I would love it if it looks at first like its the shantae 5 opening, with studio trigger animation, but then suddenly shantae and risnky are blasted by the light.

Okay, honest question.

I wouldnt mind it honestly. Im.sure whatever they do the trailer is great.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Given other popular Smash picks, what do you think Shantae has that might give an edge compared to them for that 5th spot on the Fighter Pass?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Given other popular Smash picks, what do you think Shantae has that might give an edge compared to them for that 5th spot on the Fighter Pass?
She has none. We're looking more towards the far future, after the Fighter's Pass is done, because we honestly don't have a strong a conspiracy on the 5th Fighter Pass slot compared with the Post-Fighter Pass slot(s). That being said, she's a female indie character who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. :p

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Well, this outlook on things should hopefully clear up Nintendo and Sak's stance on character selection.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hmm...I dunno. I think @keroblaster may have misinterpreted the SG article. I think Sakurai was elaborating on Nintendo picking the first fighters pass.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Okay, honest question.

Don't all the DLC characters just randomly join your party after a certain point in World Of Light? Imagine if this gets explained as them somehow finding a way to avoid getting blasted, embarking on a mini-campaign before linking up with the main group.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Don't all the DLC characters just randomly join your party after a certain point in World Of Light? Imagine if this gets explained as them somehow finding a way to avoid getting blasted, embarking on a mini-campaign before linking up with the main group.
Though how would Shantae's work if that were to happen? Maybe she stays at the bridge, fighting puppet fighters off until she's defeated by the main cast, in a similar fashion to how the Luminary was saved by Erdrick in the trailer?

Another thing to remember: This is the only actual rule we have. https://twitter.com/MistressDove/status/1172625500491145219

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Though how would Shantae's work if that were to happen? Maybe she stays at the bridge, fighting puppet fighters off until she's defeated by the main cast, in a similar fashion to how the Luminary was saved by Erdrick in the trailer?
She can't be fighting until she gets a trophy body to use, and to get one she needs a trophy stand to inhabit. That's what separates a fighter from NPCS in Ultimate. So at some point a quest needs to be undertaken to find one. It's just that no one will know who it's for until a certain spirit reacts to it...

D

Deleted member

So apparently I saw Biometal Biometal made a vid showcasing the thunder productions “spirits deconfirm” and hilariously bad comments he made and by far it is funny that he’s gonna be wrong soon at some point
I ain’t giving up on our girl

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I'm gonna jot this down for everyone.

Shantae getting in would in just her alone BTFO:

1.Indies can't be playable
2.Shantae isn't good enough of an indie compared to Shovel Knight/Sans/Quote/Reimu who deserve the spot more.
3.Spirits can't get in.
4.Shantae only has support due to WayForward's shilling/begging for votes.

One thing that has always bothered me about the whole Indies in Smash debate is apparently all you need to be "Deserving" of a slot as an indie character is to have a single viral success of a game of at least noteworthy sales..

Quote, still only has the one game,
Shovel Knight, has 1 game (yes they sell the "treasure trove" campaigns individually, you could argue either way) and his 2nd game was only recently announced
Sans is in one game,
Cuphead, when you sign an exclusivity deal with Microsoft, you kinda stop being Indie.

The exceptions are Reimu and Steve, but both of these have ascended past indie status and are kinda special cases (MC in particular), but their indie origins should be noted.

The reason I support Shantae so fervently is because She and Wayforward fought and worked hard for her popularity, Harder then any other Indie pick. She didn't have the luxury of the modern gaming sphere where indie title succeed as they do. Wayforward worked on games for other people just to scrounge up enough money to make the games they wanted to make.
Shantae herself as a character had to fight to even exist as a female character, her game being rejected by publishers because she was a female. WF worked hard to get Shantae where she is today,
Getting Shantae in smash can show indie companies that though hard work and perseverance you can be successful, putting SK/quote/Sans in can show indies you need to have a viral hit to be successful IMO

(I wanna note that I don't think any of competing indie pick's games are bad, or don't deserve the praise they got, just that generally one game does not an "icon" make)

Dukefire

Smash Master
For tonight, from a twitter post about characters as a spirit becoming fighters with a fighter spirit.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
One thing that has always bothered me about the whole Indies in Smash debate is apparently all you need to be "Deserving" of a slot as an indie character is to have a single viral success of a game of at least noteworthy sales..

Quote, still only has the one game,
Shovel Knight, has 1 game (yes they sell the "treasure trove" campaigns individually, you could argue either way) and his 2nd game was only recently announced
Sans is in one game,
Cuphead, when you sign an exclusivity deal with Microsoft, you kinda stop being Indie.

The exceptions are Reimu and Steve, but both of these have ascended past indie status and are kinda special cases (MC in particular), but their indie origins should be noted.

The reason I support Shantae so fervently is because She and Wayforward fought and worked hard for her popularity, Harder then any other Indie pick. She didn't have the luxury of the modern gaming sphere where indie title succeed as they do. Wayforward worked on games for other people just to scrounge up enough money to make the games they wanted to make.
Shantae herself as a character had to fight to even exist as a female character, her game being rejected by publishers because she was a female. WF worked hard to get Shantae where she is today,
Getting Shantae in smash can show indie companies that though hard work and perseverance you can be successful, putting SK/quote/Sans in can show indies you need to have a viral hit to be successful IMO

(I wanna note that I don't think any of competing indie pick's games are bad, or don't deserve the praise they got, just that generally one game does not an "icon" make)
These are my feelings too, actually. I hate feeling spiteful, but I would be really frustrated if Shovel Knight got in over Shantae because of the reasons you stated. SK is a good game for sure and the character is unique, but Shantae has been around for so long, she'd be getting shafted majorly. Even now with Sans getting a skin, Shantae still only has the two spirits, so I'm hopeful that she makes the jump to fighter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I never understood why shantae gets hate on.those places, and even here a little bit...
Well a lot of haters think she is:

- Too niche
- You're a weeaboo if you like her
- If Shovel Knight can't make it in, than Shantae has no chance in hell
- You love hentai if you like Shantae

I can probably point out more of their stupid *** excuses, but I'll stop there.

I will say, I got a really, really hard time believing that character 5 would be her. Signs point to that being the case, but Sakurai always ended every pattern of some sort with an experimental character that's not demanded nearly as much. There's no way this pass would end with someone that'd be considered exciting to a lot of people...right...?

I'm so conflicted about this whole situation.
I'm positive Shantae isn't in the Season Pass because of the SNK copyright thing on the Nintendo site a couple of weeks agos. If you don't remember, there was a copyright for fighter #5 I believe and it was for a company already represented in the game. So we are either looking at a another Nintendo rep, Saga rep, Capcom rep, Namco-Bandai rep, Konami rep, Square-Enix rep, or Microsoft rep. My money being on it being another Namco-Bandai rep probably being Lloyd Irving.

Not that I haven't seen it before, but it still just baffles me how we keep getting characters nowhere near even the top 25 in requests. These past 5 fighters have been 4 characters nobody asked for (even if they were appreciated joining) and Banjo. Imagine if the fighter pass had Bandana Dee, Shantae, and Geno instead of Joker, Hero, and Terry.

Don't mind me just being salty.
Dragon Quest is EXTREMELY popular in Japan so you are absolutely wrong about no one wanting Hero. Only most westerners wouldn't want a Dragon Quest rep.

I'm starting to think we'll never know who won the danged ballot/suggestion box. Most thought it was K.Rool, until Banjo came along.

In any case, the DLC is seemingly decided by Nintendo's selection, as Sakurai claims, but who really has more control over things here?

On a side note, PapaGenos brought up a datamine in regards to what seems to be a convention mode.
It really doesn't to me who won since we got :ultbayonetta1:, :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, and :ultsnake: as well as probably every veteran in the damn series back because of it.

Call me crazy, but if I had to guess who won the Smash Ballot, it probably was either Sora or Goku if not Bayonetta, K. Rool, or Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fans always make rule as it's human nature to apply order to chaos. That's why Math becomes the domain of madmen and structural engineers in the last years of high school.

Only strong rule is that they have to be video game characters and the only rule I'm personally applying is being a paid Mii costume is the only disconfirm (sorry Goemon). I could be very wrong on that and it doesn't bother me.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Fans always make rule as it's human nature to apply order to chaos. That's why Math becomes the domain of madmen and structural engineers in the last years of high school.

Only strong rule is that they have to be video game characters and the only rule I'm personally applying is being a paid Mii costume is the only disconfirm (sorry Goemon). I could be very wrong on that and it doesn't bother me.
The only exception to that mii costume rule may be Rex, and thats only due to sakurai's wording when they released that

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The only exception to that mii costume rule may be Rex, and thats only due to sakurai's wording when they released that
Yeah, I agree. Besides, that costume is more a bonus for those who bought the pass than a separate purchase.

Has anyone else noticed tho, the only new Nintendo owned mii costume available for purchase separately is Team Rocket? Last time Nintendo went nuts with the cosplay outfits and now it's all 3rd parties.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, I agree. Besides, that costume is more a bonus for those who bought the pass than a separate purchase.

Has anyone else noticed tho, the only new Nintendo owned mii costume available for purchase separately is Team Rocket? Last time Nintendo went nuts with the cosplay outfits and now it's all 3rd parties.
That is true yeah. Its possible they want to make mostly 3rd party mii costumes, or they don't want to make mii costumes of any 1st party characters that may become dlc

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do believe that an indie character is coming as a fighter with Sans opening the floodgates as a Mii Costume. I hope you brought your lifevests

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm positive Shantae isn't in the Season Pass because of the SNK copyright thing on the Nintendo site a couple of weeks agos. If you don't remember, there was a copyright for fighter #5 I believe and it was for a company already represented in the game. So we are either looking at a another Nintendo rep, Saga rep, Capcom rep, Namco-Bandai rep, Konami rep, Square-Enix rep, or Microsoft rep. My money being on it being another Namco-Bandai rep probably being Lloyd Irving.
I don't know about that one, chief. It seems more like a security measure that's taken to hide who's coming next. One that the interns completely forgot to use for number 4 before his reveal.

Besides, it's impossible to narrow down who it is under these circumstances, so I honestly wouldn't look at that for solid clues.

That is true yeah. Its possible they want to make mostly 3rd party mii costumes, or they don't want to make mii costumes of any 1st party characters that may become dlc
And as Goemon showed, brand-new third parties aren't immune from being deconfirmed this way, so let's remain on guard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know about that one, chief. It seems more like a security measure that's taken to hide who's coming next. One that the interns completely forgot to use for number 4 before his reveal.

Besides, it's impossible to narrow down who it is under these circumstances.
Another thing to note is that snk wasent in the already represented copyright for #5

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again,

Nobody must know the secret of the box. NOBODY! Not even.......the nintendo employees

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For clarified context on the Famistu translation, I'll post the SG article here.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/

Those worried about his health? Turns out that he doesn't need a very long break to rest.

Also, this bit caught my attention the most.

First, again, the fighter lineup is basically decided by Nintendo. Naturally since they’re confident in me, they would consult me each time asking, “Do you know whether or not you could develop this character?” If the request is unreasonable, I can potentially refuse them.
Makes you wonder what kind of request is "unreasonable" in his eyes...

Top Bottom