• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So, one final note on PushDustin for now, he leaves us with this:

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1172306041070964738

For those concerned about Sakurai exerting himself, always remember this.
In all fairness, we are concerned because we want to care for Sakurai's well-being. Though the Iwata thing was a dash of heartwarming I needed, it makes sense considering that he was very close to Iwata and, in a way, helped Sakurai assert himself by bringing Smash Bros for the N64, even in the face of possible rejection by Nintendo of Japan.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
We definitely don't deserve him if he gives us Shantae.
I mean, we don't deserve him regardless. The man works so hard to put out a stellar product each time. I just hope he is able to force himself to take a break eventually, I'd hate for him to develop any stress induced life threatening condition like poor Iwata.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh lord, not again.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_of_ghosting_slurs_and_mistreatment_of_staff

Not even Cave Story's publisher is immune from awful employee treatment in the West!

In all fairness, we are concerned because we want to care for Sakurai's well-being. Though the Iwata thing was a dash of heartwarming I needed, it makes sense considering that he was very close to Iwata and, in a way, helped Sakurai assert himself by bringing Smash Bros for the N64, even in the face of possible rejection by Nintendo of Japan.
I mean, we don't deserve him regardless. The man works so hard to put out a stellar product each time. I just hope he is able to force himself to take a break eventually, I'd hate for him to develop any stress induced life threatening condition like poor Iwata.
In even more fairness, working hard is a cultural practice in Japan, and I heard they're taking measures to make working conditions less harsh nowadays.

Nonetheless, Iwata was a true inspiration.

Don't worry little guy, I won't forget you...

Sorry, that didn't leap immediately to mind.

What game awards was this, ths? I mean... no wonder he wants to push so much into this game...
Japan, it seems.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ultimate_dominates_the_japan_game_awards_2019

On a fun side note, he's said for about the 5th time at this point that licensed characters can't join. If him saying so in the BIGGEST AWARDS EVENT IN JAPAN doesn't stop this type of silly requests, nothing will.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1172310044550914048

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I really hope Shantae is the fifth fighter, not just because I love her and want her playable, but because I want the people who say spirits disconfirm characters to BTFO. It's annoying.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And Nakoruru got deconfirmed. If it's not either Hikari, Sakura (Shinguji), Pocky or even Kasumi, then I haven't the faintest clue who this lady even is.
Do you think it could be Reimu?

I really hope Shantae is the fifth fighter, not just because I love her and want her playable, but because I want the people who say spirits disconfirm characters to BTFO. It's annoying.
I want all the Shantae haters at GameFaqs and Reddit to BTFO. If Shantae makes it in, I will shove the salt of her inclusion all in their faces.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I never understood why shantae gets hate on.those places, and even here a little bit...

D

Deleted member

Well if milks female fighter claim ends up being her then wish granted I suppose.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, obvious reason why Shantae gets hate is to get a reaction by trolling for various topic that possibly doesn't add up to her requests why.

At this point for now, shantae is the running gag boat for 4chan and Gamefaq to use to TRIGGER fans.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Again, obvious reason why Shantae gets hate is to get a reaction by trolling for various topic that possibly doesn't add up to her requests why.

At this point for now, shantae is the running gag boat for 4chan and Gamefaq to use to TRIGGER fans.
I will laugh at them so hard when she gets added.

Have a pirate shantae

There was a problem fetching the tweet

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Okay guys a new Tournament called Everyone IS Here!!! Top 100 characters fans ask for are on the list. Make sure to support Shantae during this tournament.

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, I got a really, really hard time believing that character 5 would be her. Signs point to that being the case, but Sakurai always ended every pattern of some sort with an experimental character that's not demanded nearly as much. There's no way this pass would end with someone that'd be considered exciting to a lot of people...right...?

I'm so conflicted about this whole situation.

I never understood why shantae gets hate on.those places, and even here a little bit...
Because no one wants to admit that they don't care about a certain character, but set up these weird invisible mental barriers instead.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This is a better indication of Shantae's popularity than that bull**** Twitter nonsense. Sample size of 3000, but everyone put in their top 3 so it's 9000 votes. Shantae is #4 behind Sora, Bandanna Dee, and Banjo (who is obviously already in, so she's kind of #3).

Source Gaming Poll

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
This is a better indication of Shantae's popularity than that bull**** Twitter nonsense. Sample size of 3000, but everyone put in their top 3 so it's 9000 votes. Shantae is #4 behind Sora, Bandanna Dee, and Banjo (who is obviously already in, so she's kind of #3).

Source Gaming Poll
Tbh you don't really need that big of a sample size to get a reliable estimate.Hell,I think even as low as 200 participants are enough to get 90+% accuracy of just about any demographic you could think of.Though obviously the more the better.

Twitters only really unreliable since it attracts a very particular crowd.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

Source Gaming Poll
Not that I haven't seen it before, but it still just baffles me how we keep getting characters nowhere near even the top 25 in requests. These past 5 fighters have been 4 characters nobody asked for (even if they were appreciated joining) and Banjo. Imagine if the fighter pass had Bandana Dee, Shantae, and Geno instead of Joker, Hero, and Terry.

Don't mind me just being salty.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Can't depend on the internet in general since anything can be manipulated.

Best to wait on official sources from Sakurai and Nintendo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can't depend on the internet in general since anything can be manipulated.

Best to wait on official sources from Sakurai and Nintendo.
Yeah, and that's if they ever show any results. Closest thing we ever got to accurate results was the old official Brawl poll: https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

I have a hard time believing that literally no one on the entire planet (let alone the entirety of Brazil) asked for an SNK character during Smash 4's period. This is like when people got blindsided by Bayonetta getting in, we don't have the full picture of who voted for what during the ballot. Especially in Japan.

This whole entire thing is Rashomon, I swear to god.

web4.jpg

Also, if the old journal here is any indication, only asking for "popular" characters won't necessarily strike Sakurai's fancy: https://smashboards.com/threads/sakurais-journal.117764/
#201-210: Sakurai says in response to an email asking only for well-known characters (like Mario, Link, etc.) to appear in SSBB, "Asking only for popular characters to appear in Smash...doesn't get me excited"

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Yeah, and that's if they show any results. Closest thing we ever got to accurate results was the old official Brawl poll: https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

I have a hard time believing that literally no one on the entire planet (let alone the entirety of Brazil) asked for an SNK character during Smash 4's period. This is like when people got blindsided by Bayonetta getting in, we don't have the full picture of who voted for what during the ballot. Especially in Japan.

This whole entire thing is Rashomon, I swear to god.

Also, if the old journal here is any indication, only asking for "popular" characters won't necessarily strike Sakurai's fancy.
To be fair, the big conglomerate poll did actually put Bayonetta pretty high (relative to what you'd expect). She blindsided us because she didn't actually win, though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, the big conglomerate poll did actually put Bayonetta pretty high (relative to what you'd expect). She blindsided us because she didn't actually win, though.
I'm starting to think we'll never know who won the danged ballot/suggestion box. Most thought it was K.Rool, until Banjo came along.

In any case, the DLC is seemingly decided by Nintendo's selection, as Sakurai claims, but who really has more control over things here?

On a side note, PapaGenos brought up a datamine in regards to what seems to be a convention mode.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Tbh you don't really need that big of a sample size to get a reliable estimate.Hell,I think even as low as 200 participants are enough to get 90+% accuracy of just about any demographic you could think of.Though obviously the more the better.

Twitters only really unreliable since it attracts a very particular crowd.
200 is absolutely not enough. If you were doing like a coralational study or a poll with only a few options then yeah. But we're talking about a poll with hundreds of options. It's possible you could get 200 smash fans together for a poll and not get more than 5 or 10 votes for any one character. Even 9000 votes is not nearly enough to get 90% accuracy, but it's about as reliable as we're going to get.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
200 is absolutely not enough. If you were doing like a coralational study or a poll with only a few options then yeah. But we're talking about a poll with hundreds of options. It's possible you could get 200 smash fans together for a poll and not get more than 5 or 10 votes for any one character. Even 9000 votes is not nearly enough to get 90% accuracy, but it's about as reliable as we're going to get.
You're not entirely wrong but I'd wager most would still gravitate to the top 25 with maybe a few niche requests here and there regardless of sample size.
Helps that most of the previous big name requests are already in the game.

Dukefire

Smash Master
And to be even more fair...

How many polls have GUNDAM show up as the resident meme pick instead of Goku?
Speaking of Goku, Sakurai did mention that Goku and any other characters that are not video game origin are not coming to smash at the Tokyo Game Show 2019

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, as long as the game has life, there is hope that a want will get in eventually, underdog, unexpected or not.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Source Gaming Poll
Sora is unlikely to me atleast for fighter pass since he's another JRPG Square character (well Disney) and Bandanna Dee is just...not hype enough for FINAL CHARACTER IN SEASON PASS!

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Sora is unlikely to me atleast for fighter pass since he's another JRPG Square character (well Disney) and Bandanna Dee is just...not hype enough for FINAL CHARACTER IN SEASON PASS!
I don't see Bandana Dee being the closing character for any wave of DLC.Sakurai seems like the kind of guy that'd avoid that to prevent accusations of bias from making the grand finale from his pet series.(not like that's gonna stop smash fans anyway)
If we get another DLC Kirby character it's probably gonna be in season 2 or beyond.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys I have made a discovery in the smash ultimate credits that might help shantae
Ok So this is the original game supervisors without fighters in the credits in ultimate before joker
62483455-AE19-48A9-BAAC-249C3E719091.png
and this is the original game supervisors without fighters after joker released
9E6105A3-E7F5-4BC4-A774-A82B4AEE9A4A.jpeg
Notice the difference?

Since atlus got a fighter they moved the company up to the ogs with fighters

Meaning that if a company gets represented without a fighter(spirit) and are down there but later on the company's character dose get in as a fighter the company will get moved up there with the ogs that are fighters

To end it all...
Shantae has a chance to get in. No matter how many haters and fan rules stand in her way.
E0BE3FAB-A1B6-4B14-BF2C-126678944C35.jpeg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey guys I have made a discovery in the smash ultimate credits that might help shantae
Ok So this is the original game supervisors without fighters in the credits in ultimate before joker

Notice the difference?

Meaning that if a company gets represented without a fighter(spirit) and are down there but later on the company's character dose get in as a fighter the company will get moved up there with the ogs that are fighters

To end it all...
Shantae has a chance to get in. No matter how many haters and fan rules stand in her way.
How does that help?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
and this is the original game supervisors without fighters after joker released
Notice the difference?

To end it all...
View attachment 238104
So they will move the location of people in the credits, at least in the wol mode, if their character becomes playable. Interesting. I assume right. Ow wayforward is still in that spot huh?

Also... i still find it quite shocking that shantae is still the only one that has her icon for lobby but doesnt have a playable character from her series. There are other non playable spirits as fighter lobby icons but she is ligitly the only one. I really do think that means something...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its still a shadow yet to unearth its secrets yet. So, anyone's guess until November Direct or the VGA and when WF is ready to showcase something on their terms of announcements.

D

Deleted member

How does that help?
Let me put it this way

Before joker atlus got represented in the base game because there were spirits of cubivore and fe: tms some thought that atlus wouldn’t get a fighter cuz of there base game representation but guess what happened then? Joker got in as an atlus rep putting atlus on the ogs with fighters

All is not lost yet

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let me put it this way

Before joker atlus got represented in the base game because there were spirits of cubivore and fe: tms some thought that atlus wouldn’t get a fighter cuz of there base game representation but guess what happened then? Joker got in as an atlus rep putting atlus on the ogs with fighters

All is not lost yet
On top of that, the latter game in question got a port announced this year, to boot. Only the most hardcore Atlus followers would have seen that coming, seeing how overshadowed it was on Wii U.

Top Bottom