• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
2B's likely the next one against Shantae. And she's likely higher than Shantae in a good chunk of the world, though I don't know my Nier: Automata that well, but I know it released in 2017. If we're going by proxies: Rex with Pyra or Mythra is likely the actual closest female character to contend with Shantae at the moment.
I actually think if the Smash Ballot happened in 2017 instead of 2015 Rex & Pyra would have been in Bayonetta's place instead as the unofficial winner of the Ballot. Of course the Smash Ballot was just a suggestion box, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
As far as popularity goes, I think it's safe to say she is far more popular now than she was during the ballot. The more and more people are exposed to her as a character and her games, the more people seem to think "Yeah. she'd be pretty good in Smash"

I don't think she is the top wish for most casual players, but now-a-days there are far less people who seem to think "no way, not a good fit at all" Should she get in I think she would garner as much if not more excitement than most of the Fighter pass releases.

I keep going back to the logic of SomeCallMeJohnny where he said that with the Shovel Knight assist and the Sans costume, doing SOMETHING with Shantae seems a given, and if all they were going to do was give her a Mii Costume why wouldn't they have done it already? I could be hyping myself up a bit too much, but things do seem to look pretty good right now.

As community we all a great deal of thanks to Sans, him showing up as a costume really opened a lot of doors for us.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
As far as popularity goes, I think it's safe to say she is far more popular now than she was during the ballot. The more and more people are exposed to her as a character and her games, the more people seem to think "Yeah. she'd be pretty good in Smash"

I don't think she is the top wish for most casual players, but now-a-days there are far less people who seem to think "no way, not a good fit at all" Should she get in I think she would garner as much if not more excitement than most of the Fighter pass releases.

I keep going back to the logic of SomeCallMeJohnny where he said that with the Shovel Knight assist and the Sans costume, doing SOMETHING with Shantae seems a given, and if all they were going to do was give her a Mii Costume why wouldn't they have done it already? I could be hyping myself up a bit too much, but things do seem to look pretty good right now.

As community we all a great deal of thanks to Sans, him showing up as a costume really opened a lot of doors for us.
Even if trouble does tend to follow in Sans' wake? :p

Dukefire

Smash Master
Pretty much the wall's integrity of the Fan Rule for No Indie character in smash as a fighter is almost done for.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could see that. The Pirate Master just seemed way too powerful to be a average human or pirate so I could totally see him as a genie/Jin with all the magic **** he was able to pull off.
I like to think of the Jin as living in a parallel, dark dimension. They aren't necessarily evil like the Pirate Master was, their world and magic may just happen to just be toxic to ours and vice-versa. Maybe the dark magic used by the Pirate Master (that is all we actually see of in the light world) was actually corrupted by his curse and is actually pretty neutral in reality.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
2B is the one that is in competition to Shantae for possible next female fighter? That's going to be tough on both ends.
Well, Edelgard is supposedly gaining steam for possible inclusion in Round 2, though again, she'll be going up against the likes of Shantae, 2B, Ribbon Girl, the Octolings, and with consideration of proxies via Rex, Pyra and/or Mythra.

Pretty much the wall's integrity of the Fan Rule for No Indie character in smash as a fighter is almost done for.
There was no real wall to begin with. It was mainly the fires of the Indie scene didn't go into the mainstream until after the Brawl Days. Because in their own ways, Indie characters are themselves iconic characters with history, not the conventional type Sakurai usually includes as being the Ur-Examples of them mastering their crafts, but more of how Indies worked in the shadows, separate from the mainstream, slowly coming in closer and closer to the mainstream until they come in with major 1st party players backing them up, whether through the Xbox Live Arcade with titles like Super Meat Boy or the Nintendo eShop. In a roundabout way, the documentary Indie Game: The Movie really helped shine the light on the Indie scene through Braid, Super Meat Boy, and Fez.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, Edelgard is supposedly gaining steam for possible inclusion in Round 2, though again, she'll be going up against the likes of Shantae, 2B, Ribbon Girl, the Octolings, and with consideration of proxies via Rex, Pyra and/or Mythra.

There was no real wall to begin with. It was mainly the fires of the Indie scene didn't go into the mainstream until the Smash 4 days. Because in their own ways, Indie characters are themselves iconic characters with history, not the conventional type Sakurai usually includes as being the Ur-Examples of them mastering their crafts, but more of how Indies worked in the shadows, separate from the mainstream, slowly coming in closer and closer to the mainstream until they come in with major 1st party players backing them up, whether through the Xbox Live Arcade or the Nintendo eShop.
If the Wii U has anything to remember it by, it's Splatoon and Nindies. It's poor sales and lack of popularity with mainstream third party devs ended up creating a friendly environment where less appreciated small titles could have a chance to shine, and Nintendo just ran with it. These indies got a chance, or second chance in some cases, to gain positive word-of-mouth.

To this day, the lack of a traditional Virtual Console on the Switch is likely Nintendo's way of thanking them for their help during their hard times by giving indies even more breathing room.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
2B seems like a non-entity so long as she doesn't have a Nintendo appearance beforehand, even something tiny like a cameo appearance.

Also, isn't Ribbon Girl a costume? If anything, Min Min has less going against her.
I don't think Mii costumes would actually stop someone from becoming a playable character this round for DLC.

To me, this round 2 of DLC is going to be anyones game, (within reason) to be chosen. Even AT I believe might have a chance as well.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
2B seems like a non-entity so long as she doesn't have a Nintendo appearance beforehand, even something tiny like a cameo appearance.

Also, isn't Ribbon Girl a costume? If anything, Min Min has less going against her.
Technically, you don't even need to be on a Nintendo console to be considered. You just need to be a video game character first and foremost. It's bonus points to being on a Nintendo console, but if you can work, you can work.
I did forget Ribbon Girl was a costume, though that point could still work with Min Min.

If the Wii U has anything to remember it by, it's Splatoon and Nindies. It's poor sales and lack of popularity with mainstream third party devs ended up creating a friendly environment where less appreciated small titles could have a chance to shine, and Nintendo just ran with it. These indies got a chance, or second chance in some cases, to gain positive word-of-mouth.
Oh right, forgot about that actually. Though at the same time, we also have such lovely classics as an Endless Runner featuring Rage Comic characters. The abandonment of AAA Developers is a double-edged sword, though it worked to the advantage of games like Shovel Knight, Shantae, among others I don't remember ATM.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically, you don't even need to be on a Nintendo console to be considered. You just need to be a video game character first and foremost. It's bonus points to being on a Nintendo console, but if you can work, you can work.
I did forget Ribbon Girl was a costume, though that point could still work with Min Min.
Well, so far there hasn't been a single character that broke the pattern. Even Joker barely managed to get in via Q2 (and possibly Phantom Strikers, who knows how long that was planned ahead), so there is some merit to the criteria.

Besides, as far as SE characters go, she'd still need to deal with burgeoning demand for Sephiroth, Sora and Geno. Not to mention that Platinum could push for Akira Howard instead of 2B.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Oh right, forgot about that actually. Though at the same time, we also have such lovely classics as an Endless Runner featuring Rage Comic characters. The abandonment of AAA Developers is a double-edged sword, though it worked to the advantage of games like Shovel Knight, Shantae, among others I don't remember ATM.
Oh, there will always be duds no matter where you look. But it's certainly easier to sift past them on Wii U's eshop compared to someplace like Steam.

One indie I know for sure benefited from the Wii U environment was Noitu Love 2. Yooka-Laylee also seems to have well enough for a sequel of sorts.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Oh, there will always be duds no matter where you look. But it's certainly easier to sift past them on Wii U's eshop compared to someplace like Steam.

One indie I know for sure benefited from the Wii U environment was Noitu Love 2. Yooka-Laylee also seems to have well enough for a sequel of sorts.
but das unpossible!

Jokes aside, you're right on the ball, as usual.

More Edits: I actually have a few more ideas for female characters. We have an entire Soul Calibur roster of women if Yoshimitsu doesn't make the cut. Orchid from Killer Instincts could really work wonders if Rare and Microsoft are open to that possibility. Street Fighters, especially Chun-Li or Sakura, could work fairly well by themselves. There's quite a lot of women that could contend with Shantae, though at the current moment, it seems that the Half-Genie Hero is popping up far more often than a lot of these characters, though that might be echo chambers highlighting my flaws to a T.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
but das unpossible!

Jokes aside, you're right on the ball, as usual.

More Edits: I actually have a few more ideas for female characters. We have an entire Soul Calibur roster of women if Yoshimitsu doesn't make the cut. Orchid from Killer Instincts could really work wonders if Rare and Microsoft are open to that possibility. Street Fighters, especially Chun-Li or Sakura, could work fairly well by themselves. There's quite a lot of women that could contend with Shantae, though at the current moment, it seems that the Half-Genie Hero is popping up far more often than a lot of these characters, though that might be echo chambers highlighting my flaws to a T.
One thing Shantae really has going for her in the regard is being the main character of her games. Sakurai has shown time and again that being the lead or main character far supersedes being a more interesting character when getting in.

All those characters you mentioned are very interesting, but the ones that I'm familiar with I know aren't the "main" character (I say of the ones I'm familiar with as I don;t know who is considered the main character of KI or Soul Caliber)

Shantae not just being the most important character, but the title character of her games give her a huge edge over most characters out there.

I'll admit, I was pretty ready to assume she was done with the way Sakurai seemed to be picking fighters, but the news of the Sans costume and the additional DLC has given me not only renewed hope, but a stronger resolve. I mean, it looks more likely than ever that an indie rep is not only possible, but likely. And with all the current DLC a female character is sorely needed. And with the emphasis of main characters being added that eliminates a lot of her competition as most of the great female characters left are supporting cast in their titles.

And the more and more characters we get, the more likely it is for a spirit to get upgraded because there just aren't that many characters out there who are both likely and not already a spirit.

Yup, there are no guarantees, but things are lining up very nicely for our girl.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing Shantae really has going for her in the regard is being the main character of her games. Sakurai has shown time and again that being the lead or main character far supersedes being a more interesting character when getting in.

All those characters you mentioned are very interesting, but the ones that I'm familiar with I know aren't the "main" character (I say of the ones I'm familiar with as I don;t know who is considered the main character of KI or Soul Caliber)

Shantae not just being the most important character, but the title character of her games give her a huge edge over most characters out there.

I'll admit, I was pretty ready to assume she was done with the way Sakurai seemed to be picking fighters, but the news of the Sans costume and the additional DLC has given me not only renewed hope, but a stronger resolve. I mean, it looks more likely than ever that an indie rep is not only possible, but likely. And with all the current DLC a female character is sorely needed. And with the emphasis of main characters being added that eliminates a lot of her competition as most of the great female characters left are supporting cast in their titles.

And the more and more characters we get, the more likely it is for a spirit to get upgraded because there just aren't that many characters out there who are both likely and not already a spirit.

Yup, there are no guarantees, but things are lining up very nicely for our girl.
Hell, even Dragon Quest couldn't get past that rule, and it's such a huge deal because the secondary characters were actually passed over for once, the unwritten rule of DQ crossovers. Even Sakurai knew that what he was doing was taboo.

Jago appears to be one of the main characters of KI, alongside Orchid (it helps that they have some family relation), though both are less advertised than Fulgore. Siegfried seemed to be the main character of SC for some time before he got the Jin Kazama treatment.

The only thing left that'd stand in Shantae's way is, ironically enough, Inti Creates. They have both their own indie AND a legacy character.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just purely hypothetical if Shantae was a Mii Fighter, what class should she be?

Brawler (pretty self explanatory)
Swordfighter (using pirate cutlass)
Gunner (with one of her bracelets oversized)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just purely hypothetical if Shantae was a Mii Fighter, what class should she be?

Brawler (pretty self explanatory)
Swordfighter (using pirate cutlass)
Gunner (with one of her bracelets oversized)
Mostly fit for Brawler and Risky is Swordfighter.

Though, we still don't know about WF and Nintendo's moves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Random thought related to some Fire Emblem talk: does anyone find Petra to remind them of Shantae a lot? She's exotic, comes from a warm island, loves the ocean and hates the cold. Her culture holds many "spirits" (genies) and a unique form of magic in curses. Not to mention her hairstyles.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll leave this Shantae Artwork for today. Its in a Asian Ink Artstyle.

Artist: gpwlghr123
shantae___asian_ink_painting_by_gpwlghr123_ddfwmmh-pre.jpg

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I like to think of the Jin as living in a parallel, dark dimension. They aren't necessarily evil like the Pirate Master was, their world and magic may just happen to just be toxic to ours and vice-versa. Maybe the dark magic used by the Pirate Master (that is all we actually see of in the light world) was actually corrupted by his curse and is actually pretty neutral in reality.
This honestly just sounds alot like the backyard from Guilty Gear.Only thing missing is said dark dimension being the source of all magic.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So papagenos papagenos and his brother made a Top 10 Wanted Characters video. Both mention Shantae.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
River City Girls is fun. It's up there with Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds and Scott Pilgrim, as far as beat-em-ups go. The backtracking/side quests is a nice touch, too. As is the voice acting. It's a different genre, but the world has a Shantae feel to it (i.e. it's cheeky and nostalgic feeling).

2B is the one that is in competition to Shantae for possible next female fighter? That's going to be tough on both ends.
¿Por que no los dos?

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
River City Girls is fun. It's up there with Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds and Scott Pilgrim, as far as beat-em-ups go. The backtracking/side quests is a nice touch, too. As is the voice acting. It's a different genre, but the world has a Shantae feel to it (i.e. it's cheeky and nostalgic feeling).

¿Por que no los dos?
I guess I dont understand what you are asking?

KatKit

Smash Lord
I guess I dont understand what you are asking?
The user above already answered, but having both Shantae and 2B would be awesome, IMO. I wouldn't even care who'd get in before the other if both of them made it in.

Shantae, 2B, Elma, Monster Hunter, Ayumi Tachibana, Akira Howard, a Style Savvy rep... I can go on. Gosh, there are so many good DLC choices for women from games with no playable reps (both 1st and 3rd party choices, too). I'm hoping that future DLC rights the one wrong with an otherwise extraordinary season 1 pass.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

¿Por que no los dos?
Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds was a pretty mediocre game in my eyes. I can't speak for the multiplayer fighting game part where the game supposedly has it's roots in, but it handles the beat-em up parts poorly. Bad balance causes you to easily hit brick walls until you grind enough to make your character functional, and even then it takes far too long to kill anything but the lowliest mooks who come in the billions. And once you unlock your Phantom Breaker move, you can just spam it to win except against bosses, who fall to two plane cheese instead. Plus only four of the characters have an actual story mode.

zferolie

Smash Hero
On a side note, I came across this in regards to PSASBR and oof, it's a good thing WF mainly supports on the Nintendo front.

https://twitter.com/Beta64Official/status/1170854957018427397
I really wanted that game to be good. it had promise and potential. The lack of support from sony, supers only allowing for points, and that base roster really hurt it. I think if it was just stamina mode, so you could kill without supers, and had a better roster and Sony fing supportig the game it could have been a solid contender.

I wonder what characters were worked on at some point. Crash and Spyro? Disgaea characters?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I really wanted that game to be good. it had promise and potential. The lack of support from sony, supers only allowing for points, and that base roster really hurt it. I think if it was just stamina mode, so you could kill without supers, and had a better roster and Sony fing supportig the game it could have been a solid contender.

I wonder what characters were worked on at some point. Crash and Spyro? Disgaea characters?
From what I remember, Darts from Legends of Dragoon was surprisingly far along in development and then just dropped.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Crash, Spyro, Sly, Cloud, and Snake, I'd assume.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Crash, Spyro, Sly, Cloud, and Snake, I'd assume.
Sly Cooper is playable in the game.

But the sad thing about the others you mention is that they've since moved on to be playable on Nintendo consoles and/or in Smash. Even Dante is leaving his exclusivity behind. Oh, and apparently Legends Of Dragoon too now that LaBeteNoire LaBeteNoire mentioned it. And since Sony apparently hates competition, even more so these days, the list of candidates they'd actually want to include will just continue to shrink.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
The user above already answered, but having both Shantae and 2B would be awesome, IMO. I wouldn't even care who'd get in before the other if both of them made it in.

Shantae, 2B, Elma, Monster Hunter, Ayumi Tachibana, Akira Howard, a Style Savvy rep... I can go on. Gosh, there are so many good DLC choices for women from games with no playable reps (both 1st and 3rd party choices, too). I'm hoping that future DLC rights the one wrong with an otherwise extraordinary season 1 pass.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm against or having both. I'm just saying if it was only those 2 fighting the chance to be the next DLC, it'll be an intense tug-of-war match between those 2 if people had to choose. Of course I prefer Shantae, but won't say no to 2B.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm against or having both. I'm just saying if it was only those 2 fighting the chance to be the next DLC, it'll be an intense tug-of-war match between those 2 if people had to choose. Of course I prefer Shantae, but won't say no to 2B.
I'd honestly prefer Dante if we were to get another hack and slash character.He even has the advantage of having been on a nintendo console.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'd honestly prefer Dante if we were to get another hack and slash character.He even has the advantage of having been on a nintendo console.
Though if he does get in, there is the potential Bayonetta OP complaint vibe with his stylish fighting of guns, swords, demonic weapons and abilities.

Top Bottom