• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hi everyone long time no see.
I wonder what new transformations Shantae will have in the new game. Any ideas?
Hopefully a ice breathing Dragon that can fly, or a Werewolf with sharp claws, and a howl that can stun and/or kill enemies that are on screen at that time, and she can change between quadruped, and bipedal forms.

I was hoping a tiger form that she can run very fast. and wouldn’t it be funny if she got in smash and had an animal form from shantae 5 we haven’t heard about?
They did it with Joker's grappling hook (that was supposed to be introduced in Persona 5 Royal), I'm sure they can do It again.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, September will be here before you know it.
Screenshot_20190808-142308_YouTube.jpg
Edit: at least now the waluigi fans have a soft cushion to land on in case he doesn't make it in Ultimate. (Which I honestly think won't happen on my opinion)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I finished Risky's Revenge for the first time and I like it, but I feel the game is too short compared to Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero. Overall I would rank it as the 3rd best Shantae game in my book.

The original Shantae is the only game now I haven't played yet, so I'll have to playthrough that game before Shantae 5 comes out.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is another River City Girls trailer, this time in English.

You know, I did not expect Kyoko to have this sort of personality.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So I finished Risky's Revenge for the first time and I like it, but I feel the game is too short compared to Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero. Overall I would rank it as the 3rd best Shantae game in my book.

The original Shantae is the only game now I haven't played yet, so I'll have to playthrough that game before Shantae 5 comes out.
I will warn you that trying to see where you are going with the screen so close to shantae will be difficult. Best to have a map on your phone and/or computer.
Watch out for the day and night cycle. Enemies will double their health and have stronger damage, so have some invisible cream, items of each and farm gems to get more moves and items when visiting towns.

Last, some challenges for getting more health in hidden places does require a certain item to pass like a tinkerbat with a rod on it's head. Use the storm puff to kill it, attacking it won't work.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Wayforward interview on River City Girls: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...s_crazy_interpretation_of_the_kunio-kun_brand

Interesting points:

- The game was Wayforward's idea pitched to Arc System Works, like Cadence Of Hyrule was to Nintendo.
- BARF confirmed.
- All moves are performed with a directional input and one of three attack buttons, like Smash.
- Shantae 5 development is "going great".
"Going great" despite us knowing still next to nothing about it, and we're nearly halfway through August, I'm surprised and bit relieved. I wonder when it will come out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wayforward interview on River City Girls: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...s_crazy_interpretation_of_the_kunio-kun_brand

Interesting points:

- The game was Wayforward's idea pitched to Arc System Works, like Cadence Of Hyrule was to Nintendo.
- BARF confirmed.
- All moves are performed with a directional input and one of three attack buttons, like Smash.
- Shantae 5 development is "going great".
Yup, RCG felt like a Wayforward idea all right.

When you think about it, the last time we had a Technos property game with such heavy Western involvement besides RCR Underground, it was for Battletoads & Double Dragon. What WF is doing is such a huge gamble.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"Going great" despite us knowing still next to nothing about it, and we're nearly halfway through August, I'm surprised and bit relieved. I wonder when it will come out.
According to Adam Tierney, fans and newcomers will dig what the team is putting together. Now this could be simple PR speak that anyone would want to say about their game, but I can't help but wonder if that implies it's gameplay will be somewhat different than what came before.

Now, I have a little update to make for those Hooligan Sister bios I wrote up a while ago. It turns out the pig-tailed one (who I'm renaming Breezy) also attended the Academy alongside Moody, and was likely just as miffed over being upstaged by Patty. Possibly this is why she turned to crime, out of spite, Moody doing so out of apathy and resentment, with the rest of the sisters following suit out of sibling loyalty (Breezy laughs at Patty's misfortune when she breaks the monster canister, and both sisters are the most indignant over being captured in the ending). With this in mind I can make a guess at their relative ages, from oldest to youngest: Moody, Breezy, Speedy, Beauty and Sweetie.

After the events of MSF2, they become inspired enough to become firefighters under Patty's instruction, although the two eldest sisters still harbour some deep-seated resentment towards her (moreso Breezy than Moody though, not that Patty seems to be aware of it).

It'd be really neat if the next MSF game starred these sisters (Mighty Switch Hooligans?), tag-teaming to solve puzzles Friends To The End-style with their unique abilities (eg. Speedy can run fast, Sweetie can float on drafts with her bubble gum, Beauty can distract enemies with her looks, Moody is tough and angry enough to break, lift and/or throw tough obstacles... and Breezy plays just like Patty using a siren helmet and pellet gun she "borrowed") to fight the criminal mastermind behind their first breakout and the Tangent City blaze who's managed to disable the cybernetic peacekeeping forces and capture Patty.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its not over until the official news come aboard.

Also, at least we have SSB Crusade and SSF2 updates that can somewhat fill the void for sometime until more announcements.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know why certain people think a Indie character getting into Smash as a playable character is impossible. Nintendo literally gave the Zelda license to a Indie developer Brace Yourself Games to make a Zelda crossover with their Indie franchise. That in itself is much bigger and more unrealistic than a Indie character getting into Smash. If Zelda IP can appear in a Indie title, than Shantae can be in Smash without question. Her inclusion or any Indie character's inclusion in Smash's roster would farther and improve the strong relationship between Nintendo and the Nindies. People don't see this, but I do and I think it could very well be Shantae's time to shine in the coming months ahead.

Just to let you all know Shantae will be in Indivisible post-launch.

https://twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG/status/1159591727596023808

Oh yeah and the game will be out October 8th. Switch version unfortunately won't be 'til later.
OMG! Dude, you almost gave me a heart attack. I first I was reading your post thinking "Shantae 5 is coming out October 8th?!!" 'Shortly faints' But than I see Indivisible is a game and the one you said is launching on October 8th. :laugh:

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Shovel Knight is the poster boy for Indie in general and has appeared in many indie titles compared to others.
Of course, he did a lot of support becoming a fighter, only to find out later that he became an assist trophy on the second smash direct.

Like now:
Spirits automatically deconfirm (still yet to be proven)
Indies can't make it if Shovel Knight is an assist trophy.

Those that bring up WF's history on referencing Smash in their games since they are fans for the series and not meaning as a fighter status some thought.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
To the indie haters, I present to you Dragon King The Fighting Game. Yeah before Smash Bros, this was the original Smash that Sakurai was gonna release right before he decided "let's take the mechanics and put it in a crossover". So next time we wanna argue "but indies are so low quality compared to AAAs" remember where the series with the fun punch and kicks you love started.

Dragon_King_game.jpg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When did mid-tier developers and HAL-original properties unrelated to Nintendo stopped existing in the collective mindset, 2009?

Really, people set up these stupid goalposts because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CHARACTERS THAT ARE WANTED IN SMASH. Nothing but excuses to keep their pride intact.

Only characters that are literally impossible are first-party Sony mascots and licensed characters, and the former's mostly due to stubbornness from the company in question. Outside of that, the sky's the limit. People set themselves up to be proven wrong time and time again. It's just a matter of time until the next ""barrier"" is broken, as always. They're just trying to delay the inevitable in vain.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
WayForward announced yet another title apparently.
I guess it's a fun little arcade-like title? Yet another title to be curious about from WayForward! XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That was unexpected.

Well gee, they sure are healthy enough for an indie company to pump out so many titles under such a short amount of time, huh? :4pacman:

Anyway, once again, WF keep their Nintendo connection in mind. I wonder how much profit they got from HGH and Mummy Demastered to afford these new projects.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would consider that WF is another company to depend on rather being an indie company with their history of games back then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would consider that WF is another company to depend on rather being an indie company with their history of games back then.
Especially in regards to licensed games. In particular, it's not every day that you see a developer do a tie-in game for a show that never got off the ground, but they released it regardless.

They even did stuff for companies like Namco and Konami.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if WayForward got the money to do all these projects from the transaction between them and Nintendo to put Shantae in Smash DLC?

oho.gif

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What if WayForward got the money to do all these projects from the transaction between them and Nintendo to put Shantae in Smash DLC?
Or maybe Shantae brand awareness got raised by the spirits and profile icons, causing a heretofore unnoticed windfall in sales? But then there's another question, how is Wayforward able to complete these projects, with only a small handful of cameos from their mascot compared to Shovel Knight's bazillion? Seriously, they're just making Yacht Club look like chumps at his point, no offence to the latter.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

View attachment 234578
I wonder If anyone knows the ins and outs of licensing between companies of this sort? My guess is that either WF wouldn't (or couldn't?) ask for much upfront. They'd get a cut from the actual sales is my take.

I also need to re-watch Gundam Boyfriends Build Fighters. And watch The sequels.

Or maybe Shantae brand awareness got raised by the spirits and profile icons, causing a heretofore unnoticed windfall in sales? But then there's another question, how is Wayforward able to complete these projects, with only a small handful of cameos from their mascot compared to Shovel Knight's bazillion? Seriously, they're just making Yacht Club look like chumps at his point, no offence to the latter.
Smash cameo likely helped sales, but I think only a small amount all things considered.

One thing that might explain Wayforward success is that they don't seem to overextend themselves too much (Relatively. Some delays frequent?). Frugal planning too?

As to Shovel Knights cameos? Maybe YCG doesn't Ask for much on licensing fees? There has been some speculation that YCG is busy getting all the content for Shovel Knight done and that hampers their ability to work on others projects. Not a 100% sure on that though.

Or maybe all their seasonal sales for their games helped increase their revenue flow.

All this without even needing to show up in Nindies.
This seems to me the most likely possibility. I think I saw WF games on The most sold category at one point.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I also need to re-watch Gundam Boyfriends Build Fighters. And watch The sequels.

This seems to me the mist likely possibility. I think I saw WF games on The most sold category at one point.
Small tip, it's safe to skip over Build Fighters Try, that one didn't have a good director and had execs shove in 3x3 fights (and most of the older cast doesn't show up), so it's a bit of a sophomore slump coming after the original. If you still want to see it, it's at your risk and peril.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder If anyone knows the ins and outs of licensing between companies of this sort? My guess is that either WF wouldn't (or couldn't?) ask for much upfront. They'd get a cut from the actual sales is my take.

Smash cameo likely helped sales, but I think only a small amount all things considered.

One thing that might explain Wayforward success is that they don't seem to overextend themselves too much (Relatively. Some delays frequent?). Frugal planning too?

As to Shovel Knights cameos? Maybe YCG doesn't Ask for much on licensing fees? There has been some speculation that YCG is busy getting all the content for Shovel Knight done and that hampers their ability to work on others projects. Not a 100% sure on that though.

This seems to me the most likely possibility. I think I saw WF games on The most sold category at one point.
It seems to be a lot of little things that push Wayforward ahead. Strategic rereleases, licenced games that avoid crunch pitfalls, sales and marketing that doesn't end with a game's release, combined with the ability to work a crowd. Maybe also a little goodwill garnered during the Wii U days.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Indeed. A good summary. "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" sort of situstion.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Think what would happen if Shane indeed gets revealed for Smash's Fighter Pass. all this good stuff for WF times 100.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder if the DLC spirits will have a serial escalation. So far we've gone from only standalone spirits for Persona, to including enhanceable ones for Dragon Quest. The next step, if those old rumours pan out, would be including other Rare properties alongside Banjo-Kazooie.

They'd be like, "it prints money!". At that point we'd get like 7-10 games a year.
Just for Shantae alone, and if so, including new spin-offs?

Personally, if this went over well, I'd see Wayforward making even more (timed) exclusives for the Switch, and possibly be emboldened to request more crossovers between Nintendo's franchises and their own. Imagine something like MSF and the Mini-toy puzzle games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, SK's board campaign launched for the second time. Hopefully it'll actually go somewhere.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ter_is_back_online_after_initial_cancellation

Just for Shantae alone, and if so, including new spin-offs?

Personally, if this went over well, I'd see Wayforward making even more (timed) exclusives for the Switch, and possibly be emboldened to request more crossovers between Nintendo's franchises and their own. Imagine something like MSF and the Mini-toy puzzle games.
Not necessarily, there'd probably be at least one new Shantae installment every other year.

But yeah, hopefully this would lead to a crossover with Wario~

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shovel Knight is the poster boy for Indie in general and has appeared in many indie titles compared to others.
Of course, he did a lot of support becoming a fighter, only to find out later that he became an assist trophy on the second smash direct.

Like now:
Spirits automatically deconfirm (still yet to be proven)
Indies can't make it if Shovel Knight is an assist trophy.

Those that bring up WF's history on referencing Smash in their games since they are fans for the series and not meaning as a fighter status some thought.
Shantae did very well in the Smash Ballot too even though she didn't get to be a Assist Trophy like Shovel Knight. It's possible Sakurai could have chosen Shantae over Shovel Knight for the Indie rep if there is even one because of her seniority and her having 4 soon to be 5 games which is more than Shovel Knight's who only has one game.

Than you take into consideration that Shantae obviously has better or say more unique moveset potential than Shovel Knight due to her being a half genie that can transform into animals.

The only thing Shovel Knight has going for him above Shantae is that his one game sold more than all the Shantae games combined and like you said, he has pretty much made a **** ton of cameos in games. But sells isn't always everything, and other than that, I believe if Sakurai were to be given the option to choose between Shovel Knight and Shantae to be a playable character in the roster he would choose Shantae over Shovel Knight because of the reasons I listed above.

I believe it would make more sense to have a Indie character be a DLC fighter instead of being a fighter in the base roster. The shock factor and the excitement would lean a lot of people lining up to buy any popular Indie character like Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Hollow Knight.

And yes, Shantae is a Spirit. But that doesn't mean at the moment she is deconfirmed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom