• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys recent leaks are suggesting that an indie character just might be the next dlc fighter#4 and some sources keep claiming its frisk from undertake. I personally think Shantae deserves the spot given her history with Nintendo so anybody think frisk is imminent or that Shantae has a better chance?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey guys recent leaks are suggesting that an indie character just might be the next dlc fighter#4 and some sources keep claiming its frisk from undertake. I personally think Shankar deserves the spot given her history with Nintendo so anybody think frisk is imminent or that Shantae has a better chance?
Undertale's combat just seems too weird to translate into Smash through playable format, and in-game is somewhat actively discouraged anyway. And don't people prefer campaigning for the other characters that have potentially interesting abilities?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Undertale's combat just seems too weird to translate into Smash through playable format, and in-game is somewhat actively discouraged anyway. And don't people prefer campaigning for the other characters that have potentially interesting abilities?
Yeah, putting an Undertale character in a fighting game is kind of a disservice to the game when you think about it. I mean the whole point of the game is that you can be as violent or as peaceful as possible so having Frisk strictly attacking would be a mis representation and having Sans fighting would kind of be a big spoiler for his character.

I get that Undertale has made a huge impact and certainly "deserves" representation, but Smash by it's nature just makes Undertale a bad fit.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its been a while, but I'll leave a shantae artwork for tonight. Also, while Undertale (and now the continuing DeltaRune) is popular, I don't see that Undertale's mechanics may not work too well in Smash. Though granted, Sakurai and the Smash Team has done some impossible stuff, but I don't think it will fit.

Artist: gpwlghr123
shantae___vs_risky_by_gpwlghr123_dddj3rt-pre.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Its been a while, but I'll leave a shantae artwork for tonight. Also, while Undertale (and now the continuing DeltaRune) is popular, I don't see that Undertale's mechanics may not work too well in Smash. Though granted, Sakurai and the Smash Team has done some impossible stuff, but I don't think it will fit.

Artist: gpwlghr123
Risky is looking really sexy here. :love:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Anybody wondering if Shantae only has her shot to be in the fighters pass within the September Direct or maybe we can still hold out hope for her after that time period? I don't know if she would be considered to be the last reveal, but I sure would like to be proven wrong!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We dont even know if theres a September direct, calm down.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anybody wondering if Shantae only has her shot to be in the fighters pass within the September Direct or maybe we can still hold out hope for her after that time period? I don't know if she would be considered to be the last reveal, but I sure would like to be proven wrong!
We dont even know if theres a September direct, calm down.
Also, so far nothing indicates that nothing else is coming after the FP's done. Let's just wait for February and see what happens then.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If she's in, the time of her reveal is irrelevant. As I've said before, the decision was made back in November for who got in. If she was selected it was back then and not related to what was going o happen in Aug/Sep now.

Unfortunately there is no answer for any of us other than "wait" But while we are waiting we can certainly hope as well. And if she gets in or not, she's got another game for us all to look forward too and that's something most of the Smash hopefuls don't have going for them, so we should be happy and grateful for that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have a feeling if Shantae is in the Season Pass she's next because I don't see her as the type of character to end the Pass off with. I mean, I would love to be wrong, but that's just my take when we will see Shantae in the Season Pass if she is even in it.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling if Shantae is in the Season Pass she's next because I don't see her as the type of character to end the Pass off with. I mean, I would love to be wrong, but that's just my take when we will see Shantae in the Season Pass if she is even in it.
Well, if that "Jokey 4 out of 5" tweet from Mr.Bozon was anything to go on... :p

But yeah, I feel the same way. I have no real reason for it though, since they don't always finish strong with their Smash stuff.
I doubt we'll get to see who it is anytime soon though, might take them a few weeks before announcing anything.

For now I'm looking forward to the next Nindies, which usually has some pretty neat stuff to keep my mind occupied for a while.
Maybe we''ll get a glimpse of Shantae 5 gameplay (wishfull thinking)?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I do agree that she doesn't seem like the kind of "Wow!" you would want to end the fighter's pass with, but this is Sakurai so that still doesn't mean much. I mean Bayonetta and Corrin weren't received too well as the big send of for Smash 4's DLC

So, yeah, spot four does seem like the place she would be if she's in, but still anything could happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, if that "Jokey 4 out of 5" tweet from Mr.Bozon was anything to go on... :p

But yeah, I feel the same way. I have no real reason for it though, since they don't always finish strong with their Smash stuff.
I doubt we'll get to see who it is anytime soon though, might take them a few weeks before announcing anything.

For now I'm looking forward to the next Nindies, which usually has some pretty neat stuff to keep my mind occupied for a while.
Maybe we''ll get a glimpse of Shantae 5 gameplay (wishfull thinking)?
That there is the only clue we got, if it's even one at all. :drshrug:
I would expect us to know who number 4 is at late September at most, after BK gets their turn on the spotlight. This isn't like when :ultlucas: got shown off before :ultmewtwo: got released, since he didn't come with extra swag to hide.

But yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if S5 skips over the Nindies. WF have been oddly hush-hush in regards to this latest game, so I wonder what's up with that.

That being said, here's a couple pieces from Dino Squirrel. Guess which one's inspired by a Rob Zombie song?

D_8IBQOWwAELtS6.jpg

D_8GwZwXoAA_kDP.jpg

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
What Tweet?! oO

Lol! But seriously.
Mr.Bozon made a joke tweet after her appearance as a spirit to keep cheering for shantae for DLC with a weird hashtag like #Shantaefor4outof5smashDLC or something weird like that, I can't quite remember since it got deleted pretty quickly and he then posted this:
I wouldn't take it seriously in any way, but it was pretty weird.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mr.Bozon made a joke tweet after her appearance as a spirit to keep cheering for shantae for DLC with a weird hashtag like #Shantaefor4outof5smashDLC or something weird like that, I can't quite remember since it got deleted pretty quickly and he then posted this:
I wouldn't take it seriously in any way, but it was pretty weird.
Hopefully that's a big slip up and she's in. But I won't consider that being very likely even though that's what I would want.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Been a while. So yeah I can agree that the tweet from Mr. Bozon was odd. Heck he didn't even correct himself immediately after he sent that tweet out like most would do.

Plus with the silence surrounding Shantae 5 when it comes to the actual gameplay it is my belief that if their is a Nindies Direct in either September or October that Shantae 5 will be the last game shown in it and with it comes a Smash announcement for her.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We haven't been hearing a lot from Matt Bozon after the Shantae 5 opening reveal months ago. Maybe they are busy with getting the game ready?

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Plus with the silence surrounding Shantae 5 when it comes to the actual gameplay it is my belief that if their is a Nindies Direct in either September or October that Shantae 5 will be the last game shown in it and with it comes a Smash announcement for her.
I've looked into it a bit in the past and have noticed that Nindie Directs can be seperate for NA, Europe and Japan. So when it comes to Smash announcements I wouldn't expect it. I'm sure Mr.Bozon and the WayForward Twitter will tweet it out when anything Shantae is happening somewhere anyways.

We haven't been hearing a lot from Matt Bozon after the Shantae 5 opening reveal months ago. Maybe they are busy with getting the game ready?
If their focus isn't on rounding up River City Girls, then I bet it's all hands on deck for Shantae 5!
How far along they are with it is something I wouldn't dare to bet on though... Last I heard is that they were still aiming for a 2019 release I think, so there's that.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Here is a screenshot of The 4 out of 5 tweet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It is quite weird, especially compared to practically shouting out Shantae's name on all rooftops during HGH's dev phase. The Kickstarter campaign left out little that people wouldn't know about by the time the game was finished.

Now? It's almost reclusive. 3 seconds of gameplay and an animated trailer, that's it. Even RCG got more to show off in a shorter time period.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It is quite weird, especially compared to practically shouting out Shantae's name on all rooftops during HGH's dev phase. The Kickstarter campaign left out little that people wouldn't know about by the time the game was finished.

Now? It's almost reclusive. 3 seconds of gameplay and an animated trailer, that's it. Even RCG got more to show off in a shorter time period.
that 3 second gameplay was also an unplanned LEAK. so really its just the animated OP trailer, and the promotional art.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A trailer thingy of Apple Arcade shows a second of Shantae 5 gameplay is what I think they were refering to?
It's at the ten second mark.
I guess that wasn't exactly planned if what Shinuto said is true.
Planned or not, the chances of it being extremely early beta footage far from the final product are pretty high, especially with the Half-Genie Hero sprite being reused.

I get the feeling it's for plot-related reasons, that we're getting something on the level of or even exceeding Pirate's Curse in lore. Unlike Half-Genie Hero's somewhat disjointed structure, it's harder to show stuff that won't potentially spoil a crucial detail. And it's probably going to be deeper than another plot of Risky's to level Sequin Land.

Dukefire

Smash Master
And possibly give more about Shantae's mother. I just wonder how the story is going to unfold this time?

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Have we discussed spirits for Shantae and what the matches would look like?
Rotty Tops - Green Zero Suit Samus. Likes to grab and pummel. Heals on pummel.
Sky - Rosalina and Luma. Extra jump. Luma is invincible, but is frequently sent out alone
Bolo - Richter. Affinity for smash and tilt attacks. Plays agressive and distracted by items.
Professor - Dr. Mario.
Tinkerbats - Game & Watch team
Squid Baron - Giant Red Kirby. Prefers dash and Down B.
Techno Baron - King K. Rool. Prefers specials. Starts with a barrel.
Ammo Baron - Megaman. Attack buff. Only guns appear.
Hypno Baron - Hero. Floaty.

This is all dependent on who's in the new games and keeping relevant characters.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Have we discussed spirits for Shantae and what the matches would look like?
Yes.
So Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy and I have been working on Spirit ideas for Shantae. We posted them on the Spirit Battles thread and thought it’s only fitting to share them here too:
And here are all of mine:

Primaries:

(Shantae Series)

Rottytops

Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman:, Grab
Abilities: Fist Attack Up

Opponent: Daisy (Green alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy has increased move speed
- The enemy favours down specials

Stage: Omega Luigi's Mansion
Music Track: Rottytops Theme (either that or The Nightmare Woods (Run Run Rottytops!))

(or if we're going by music that is already in the game, the Luigi's Mansion Series Medley [Wii U/3DS] fits pretty well too)
(Shantae Series)

Rottytops (Human Form)

Spirit Type: Primary, :starman:, Grab
Abilities: Can Be Enhanced at Lv. 99

Opponent: Inkling (Purple Alt)

Rules:
- The floor is sleep-inducing

Stage: Battlefield Norfair
Music Track: Rottytops Theme

(Or, if we're going by tracks already in Ultimate, the previously mentioned Luigi's Mansion Series Medley [Wii U/3DS] still works pretty well for this battle too)

(Shantae Series)

Rottytops
View attachment 219228
Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman::starman:, Grab
Abilities: Lifesteal
(Shantae Series)

The Pirate Master
View attachment 219229
Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman::starman::starman:, Attack
Abilities: Weapon Attack Up

Opponent: King K. Rool (Black alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy's neutral special has increased attack power
- Stamina battle
- The enemy is giant after a little while

Stage: Omega Dracula's Castle
Music Track: Final Boss Battle (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)

(or alternatively the Crocodile Cacophony remix)
(Shantae Series)

Squid Baron
View attachment 219230
Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman:, Defence
Abilities: Water Attack Up

Opponent: Inkling (Indigo alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy's side special has increased power
- The enemy is metal after a little while

Stage: Omega Mushroomy Kingdom
Music Track: The Tenacious Tentacled Terror

(I feel the alternative music track could be Splattack!. Ah, why not? :p)
(Shantae Series)

Dagron

Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman:, Attack
Abilities: Fire Attack Up

Opponent: Charizard (Grey? alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy breathes fire
- The enemy has increased move speed when the enemy's at high damage

Stage: Omega Norfair
Music Track: Boss Battle (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)

(Alternative track is Vs. Ridley (Brawl))

Supports:
(Shantae Series)

Mayor Scuttlebutt
View attachment 219231
Spirit Type: Support, :starman::starman:, Defense
Abilities: Stats Up after Eating

Opponent: King Dedede (Purple alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy becomes more powerful after eating
- The enemy is easily distracted by items

Stage: Battlefield Town and City
Music Track: Scuttle Town (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)

(alternate music track is Humoresque of a Little Dog)
(Shantae Series)

Squidsmith
View attachment 219232
Spirit Type: Support, :starman:, Attack
Abilities: Critical-Health Attack Up

Opponent: Bayonetta (Red alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy is easily distracted by items (these said items being hammers)

Stage: Midgar
Music Track: Scuttle Town (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)

(the alternate track is Inkoming!, because I think Splatoon music playing during this battle would be hilarious. :p)
(Shantae Series)

Hypno Baron

Spirit Type: Support, :starman::starman:, Neutral
Abilities: Magic Attack Up

Opponent: Robin (Blue alt.) Dr. Mario (Green alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy's magic attacks have increased power

Stage: Battlefield Unova Pokemon League
Music Track: Boss (Shantae: Half-Genie Hero) (Also, if she did make it in, one of the things I'd like to see is a medley made up of the various boss themes)

(I feel Nothing to Lose works as an alternative track)
(Shantae Series)

Techno Baron
View attachment 219235
Spirit Type: Support, :starman::starman:, Neutral
Abilities: Bob-omb Equipped

Opponent: Tiny King K. Rool (Default alt.), Giant Palutena (Green alt.)

Rules:
- Defeat the main fighter to win
- The enemy tends to avoid conflict
- The enemy is giant

Stage: Battlefield Great Bay
Music: Boss (Shantae: Half-Genie Hero)

(alternate track is Yell "Dead Cell")
(Shantae Series)

Wobble Bell

Spirit Type: Support, :starman:, Defense
Spirit Effects: Critical-Health Defense Up

Opponent: Duck Hunt Duo (Brown alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy tends to avoid conflict

Stage: Battlefield Distant Planet
Music Track: Sky's Theme

(The alternate track is Humoresque of a Little Dog. Big shift in tone between the two tracks, I know, but I still think this fits really well. :p)
(Shantae Series)

Tinkerbat
View attachment 219234
Spirit Type: Support, :starman:, Attack
Abilities: Fire/Explosion Resist Up

Opponent: Mr. Game & Watch Team (x8)

Rules:
- Defeat an army of fighters

Stage: Pirate Ship
Music Track: We Love Burning Town

(or alternatively, the remix of the Molgera Battle Theme)
(Shantae Series)

Dance Parlor Lady
View attachment 219233
Spirit Type: Support, :starman:, Neutral
Abilities: Transformation Duration Up

Opponent: Bayonetta (Green alt.)

Rules:
- The enemy loves to taunt
- The enemy has increased move speed after a little while

Stage: Dream Land GB
Music Track: Title (Shantae)

(alternate track is Let's Dance, Boys!)

Purchasable Spirits:
(Shantae Series)

Steam Powered Oceanic Tinker Tub

Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman:, Neutral
Abilities: Weight Up

- Purchase at Funky Kong's Shack for 1000SP
(Shantae Series)

Spy Scope

Spirit Type: Support, :starman:, Defense
Abilities: Lightweight

- Purchase at Sheldon's Place for 500SP

I hope you like them! :)
Yes we have. ;p

Never a bad thing to talk about it more though!

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Moderately obsessed Moderately obsessed I’ll make it a bit easier to find.
So me and Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy have started to make Spirit ideas for Shantae on the chance she were to make the cut:

View attachment 218639
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman::starman: Neutral
Spirit Effects: Floaty Jumps
Opponent: :ultsheik:(Purple), Tiny :ultfalco: (Purple)
Rules: N/A
Conditions:
-Only certain Pokémon will emerge from Pokéballs (Fletching, Moltres, Tapu Koko)
-The enemy is equipped with a Cucco
Stage: Skyloft
Music Track: Scuttle Town ~ Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Alt.: Pedal Glider (Wii U Remix)
View attachment 218640
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman: Attack
Spirit Effects: Trade-Off Attacks ↑
Opponent: :ultrichter:(Blue)
Rules: Assist Trophy Enemies (Color TV Game-15)
Conditions: Assist Trophy Enemies
-Hostile assist trophies will appear
-The enemy favors side smash attacks
-The enemy will occasionally trip
Stage: Delfino Plaza Battlefield
Music Track: The Tenacious Tentacled Terror ~ Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse
Alt.: Gear Up For...(FEH Remix)
View attachment 218641
Spirit Type: Primary :starman::starman::starman: Neutral
Spirit Effects: Transformation Duration ↑
Opponent: Shantae (Nega alt.)
Conditions:
-The enemy’s special moves have increased power
Stage: Norfair Omega (RR)
Music Track: Boss Battle ~ Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Alt.: One of a Kind (Bayonetta)
Continuing on from the last page, Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy and I have made for spirits for the Shantae series that we’d like to share:
View attachment 219111
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman: Neutral
Spirit Effects: Drill Equipped
Opponent::ultdoc: (Green)
Rules: Hazard: Slumber Floor
Conditions:
-The floor is sleep inducing
Stage: Great Bay
Music Track: Scuttle Town ~ Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Alt.: The Great Cave Offensive (SSB4)
View attachment 219115View attachment 219117
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman: Grab
Spirit Effects: Bomber Equipped
Opponent: :ultincineroar: (Green) & :ultiggy:
Conditions:
-The enemies heal over time
-The enemy becomes more powerful after eating
Stage: Luigi’s Mansion
Music Track: Run Run Rottytops! ~ Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Alt.: The Roost (Brawl)
View attachment 219112
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman: Defense
Spirit Effects: Air Defense ↑
Opponent: Giant :ultludwig:
Rules: Giant
Conditions:
-The enemy’s neutral special has increased power
-The enemy prefers neutral and side special
-The enemy is giant
Stage: Shantae’s stage or Great Bay Battlefield
Music Track: Boss Battle ~ Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Alt.: SMB3 Airship Theme (Brawl)
View attachment 219113
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman::starman: Neutral
Spirit Effects: Chance of Double Final Smash
Opponent: :ultinkling: (Cyan) & :ultzss: (Blue Shorts)
Rules: Sudden Final Smash
Conditions:
-The enemy starts out with a Super Scope (Vinegar)
-The enemy prefers down specials (Twitch)
-The enemy will suddenly get a Final Smash
Stage: Big Blue
Music Track: Cape Crustacean ~ Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Alt.: Big Blue (SSBU)
View attachment 219114
Spirit Type: Support :starman: Grab
Spirit Effects: Shield Damage↑
Opponent: :ultvillagerf: (Green), Giant :ultkrool: (Black)
Rules: Hazard: Heavy Wind
Conditions:
-The enemy tends to avoid conflict
-Dangerously high winds are in effect
-The enemy prefers neutral specials
Stage: Mushroomy Kingdom Omega
Music Track: Tassel Town ~ Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Alt.: Gritzy Desert (Brawl)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Shantae brings back good old days, I would rather have her as an assist trophy instead of a playable character, because I don't want her to be playable, but I still want her to be included in the game. She already has a spirit, although spirits don't deconfirm. I would be happier if she gets promoted to an assist trophy in Smash 6.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone here think Shantae could keep up with Kirby during one his dances using her own moves?

Since we're talking spirits, and because I have Mighty Switch Force on the brain thanks to the collection, I've got one idea in mind:

Hooligan Sisters
Spirit Type: Support :starman::starman: Grab
Effect: Item Gravitation
Opponent: :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultvillagerf::ultzss::ultzelda:
Rules: Stamina (1 HP), Timed (2:00)
Conditions:
- You have lowered jump height
- The enemy tends not to move
- Trampolines are placed around the stage
Stage: New Pork City
Music: Break The Targets (Melee)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I get the feeling it's for plot-related reasons, that we're getting something on the level of or even exceeding Pirate's Curse in lore. Unlike Half-Genie Hero's somewhat disjointed structure, it's harder to show stuff that won't potentially spoil a crucial detail. And it's probably going to be deeper than another plot of Risky's to level Sequin Land.
One thing for sure is, Mimic got to be in the opening alongside Shantae, Risky and the FttE, so he must have an even more important role this time.

What are the odds that we'll get pixel graphics again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom