• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just don't let any ideas continuously bite away to the end if that hope isn't happening.

Worst Case Scenario (and possibly highly unlikely its 100%):
Don't fall into madness.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well i don't stop people for hoping but i think you should not hope TOO MUCH

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So Christina posted this...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, possible news of Shantae 5 on the 7th?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I thought that could mean the project didn't announce they were having a panel.

But it could also be the unannounced Shantae anime, thus explaining why they were at Anime Expo in the first place.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That does bring up the question again. What are Wayforward's intentions at Anime Expo starting on July 4th with some fuel being added to the fire?

Guess we will find out soon in a week.

Also, here is a Shantae artwork for tonight
Artist: artfanparadise
Shantae_by_artfanparadise.jpg
Screenshot_20190426-011818_YouTube.jpg

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man, a Shantae anime would be great. It has the style, the characters, and HGH was already formatted like an episodic cartoon. I wonder though, who would make it?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So Christina posted this...

So, possible news of Shantae 5 on the 7th?
As others have said, it was unnanounced. I love her cosplay though and **** yes Indivisible news!!!!

Man, a Shantae anime would be great. It has the style, the characters, and HGH was already formatted like an episodic cartoon. I wonder though, who would make it?
... what if...Studio Trigger did a Shantae anime?

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As others have said, it was unnanounced. I love her cosplay though and **** yes Indivisible news!!!!

That would be cool, but would the styles mesh well?
When it comes to who I could see making a Shantae show, I was thinking that maybe Netflix could give it a go. They helped make the excellence that is the Castlevania and they have done well with other animated originals.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That would be cool, but would the styles mesh well?
When it comes to who I could see making a Shantae show, I was thinking that maybe Netflix could give it a go. They helped make the excellence that is the Castlevania and they have done well with other animated originals.
Well the did little witch academia, and that could fit the shantae look

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well the did little witch academia, and that could fit the shantae look
I just watched a clip and I could see it. It would be great to have some fluent animation for action and dancing. Any other studios people have in mind?

Edit:
Just in case anyone was curious, this was the clip I watched. Figured it might as well be of a dance since that is a big element of Shantae.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't know if people consider them Anime, but I could see the team behind Avatar doing a good job with Shantae. They have dance fighting down and have worked a few transformation scenes in their time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't know if people consider them Anime, but I could see the team behind Avatar doing a good job with Shantae. They have dance fighting down and have worked a few transformation scenes in their time.
That would also be cool, especially since Avatar was such a great show. Just hope what is animated would be of similar style to the games.

You know, Shantae getting an animated series would really help when it comes to Smash support. I know that's kinda obvious to say, but it is true. If the series is good, her popularity would increase immensely due to the exposure.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That would also be cool, especially since Avatar was such a great show. Just hope what is animated would be of similar style to the games.

You know, Shantae getting an animated series would really help when it comes to Smash support. I know that's kinda obvious to say, but it is true. If the series is good, her popularity would increase immensely due to the exposure.
I mean, Smash aside an animated series would give her a lot more exposure. Especially if it is on one of the streaming platforms that most people have like Netflix or Hulu.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I mean, Smash aside an animated series would give her a lot more exposure. Especially if it is on one of the streaming platforms that most people have like Netflix or Hulu.
Yeah I always felt an animated series for Shantae would feel better suited for a streaming service and it wouldn’t have to follow network restrictions.

Considering their work on stuff like Kill La Kill, yeah they’d be a pretty solid choice.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have a feeling Wayforward's idea for a full voiced character crew option for HGH fundraiser goal might be used.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I would be fine with this as long as it's only the animation team and not the writing staff as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Idk if you found out yet, but Etika is dead.
Poor etika man. I just learned about his disappearance this morning when the article about his body being found showed up in my feed. Didn't really have an opinion on the dude, but I knew he was going through alot. I thought he was getting better. At least he's at peace now.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Poor etika man. I just learned about his disappearance this morning when the article about his body being found showed up in my feed. Didn't really have an opinion on the dude, but I knew he was going through alot. I thought he was getting better. At least he's at peace now.
I thought he was fine again after those events in 2018 and when he did the Nintendo E3 stream this year.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Wanted to add something before it turned into an Etika topic, but I'm too late. So I'll save it for another time.

Anyway, I've never been an avid fan of reaction channels, but I already knew well who he was. I still don't know what drove him to making that unfortunate decision, since the most I heard was that he was "declined any help" at mental hospital due to "not meeting" some kind of the "criteria", whatever the heck that means. There shouldn't be any criteria for a mentally ill person with a history like his. There shouldn't be a list of qualifications for receiving mental help. Never even heard of that until now.

Could have potentially been prevented.
I don't really have much to add, so I'll come back whenever the internet cools down.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
You can still say it i know we must pay respect for him and his surroundings but it's not a etika topic so if you have something to say it's not that big of a deal.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Damn... I loved his reaction vids. RIP man
(Sigh...) We’re down by one acolyte of hype. I’ll admit I watch more of the likes of Maximilian Dood, SomeCallMeJohnny, and members of The Runaway Guys, but Etika’s reactions have been some of the most amusing on the net, and it’s a blasted shame he went out the way he did. This one goes out to all of the JOYCON BOYZ (now JOYCON MEN) out there...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
(Sigh...) We’re down by one acolyte of hype. I’ll admit I watch more of the likes of Maximilian Dood, SomeCallMeJohnny, and members of The Runaway Guys, but Etika’s reactions have been some of the most amusing on the net, and it’s a blasted shame he went out the way he did. This one goes out to all of the JOYCON BOYZ (now JOYCON MEN) out there...
Not only was he great at hype, he was one of the most vocal public supporters of our girl getting into Smash.

It's an absolute tragedy what happened too him and it just further displays how horribly mental health is taken care of here in the states. He was clearly in need but for whatever reason he was denied.

I'm not sure how it is on his side of the country, but out where I am mental health issues are dealt in tandem with substance abuse therapy. So people with mental and emotional disorders need to share facilities and time with court appointed drug addicts. thanks to this there is almost never enough time or people and often pills are just thrown at the patients with a "wait and see" mentality. Thanks to this far too many mentally ill give up on the system entirely.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not only was he great at hype, he was one of the most vocal public supporters of our girl getting into Smash.

It's an absolute tragedy what happened too him and it just further displays how horribly mental health is taken care of here in the states. He was clearly in need but for whatever reason he was denied.

I'm not sure how it is on his side of the country, but out where I am mental health issues are dealt in tandem with substance abuse therapy. So people with mental and emotional disorders need to share facilities and time with court appointed drug addicts. thanks to this there is almost never enough time or people and often pills are just thrown at the patients with a "wait and see" mentality. Thanks to this far too many mentally ill give up on the system entirely.
I don't know a lot of mental health honestly, but if the system's rules does happen like that. Then people won't know what is troubling them and result to disasters.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Well...besides the Etika news RIP, I want to bring up the newest Sakurai Column of him talking about bringing Banjo & Hero into smash and this caught me when he talked about Banjo.
This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!
I believe that if we Shantae fans can keep generating a lot of noise & request I'm sure Sakurai will notice the high demand for our girl and hopefully to make her into a Smash fighter one day.

https://nintendoeverything.com/banjo-kazooie-hero-smash-bros-masahiro-sakurai/

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well...besides the Etika news RIP, I want to bring up the newest Sakurai Column of him talking about bringing Banjo & Hero into smash and this caught me when he talked about Banjo.
This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!
I believe that if we Shantae fans can keep generating a lot of noise & request I'm sure Sakurai will notice the high demand for our girl and hopefully to make her into a Smash fighter one day.

Yeah, stuff like that is always good to hear. You know, I was wondering, what do you guys think the chances of a Shantae amiibo coming out along with 5? You know like what Yacht Club did with the SK amiibo? I mean, NIntendo making one for her would be great, but I mainly just want her to get one before Nintendo eventually discontinues the line, and I kinda doubt amiibo will be around by the time Shantae 6 happens.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Yeah, stuff like that is always good to hear. You know, I was wondering, what do you guys think the chances of a Shantae amiibo coming out along with 5? You know like what Yacht Club did with the SK amiibo? I mean, NIntendo making one for her would be great, but I mainly just want her to get one before Nintendo eventually discontinues the line, and I kinda doubt amiibo will be around by the time Shantae 6 happens.
I'm actually hoping Wayforward will reveal an amiibo of Shantae when they show off gameplay for Shantae 5.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Yeah Sakurai saying popularity i think does help, though i still wonder if he wanted to make her playable why also give her a spirit? Maybe at initial planning they werent think dlc, and just got her spirit rights, once dlc started getting planned later they didnt want to just cut the spirit they already put in, so kept it in. Plus the rights were paid for it then, it would be a waste to remove 2 spirits and that money spent. Plus i dont think sakurai planned that spirits would never be playable.

I'm actually hoping Wayforward will reveal an amiibo of Shantae when they show off gameplay for Shantae 5.
A shantae amiibo would be pretty awesome.

And guys, dont think this was shared, but found this dlc discussion video. He mentions Shantae as one of the more likely ones, also feels that a namco character is very likely.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah Sakurai saying popularity i think does help, though i still wonder if he wanted to make her playable why also give her a spirit? Maybe at initial planning they werent think dlc, and just got her spirit rights, once dlc started getting planned later they didnt want to just cut the spirit they already put in, so kept it in. Plus the rights were paid for it then, it would be a waste to remove 2 spirits and that money spent. Plus i dont think sakurai planned that spirits would never be playable.

And guys, dont think this was shared, but found this dlc discussion video. He mentions Shantae as one of the more likely ones, also feels that a namco character is very likely.

Again, we have precedent with Mewtwo and Lucas in 4, and what we've heard about his stance on DLC recently only reaffirms that he does not develop his games with DLC in mind, at least not until towards the end when everything's pretty much set in place already.

As far as western demand goes, he also mentions the DQVIII hero was picked for that.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Again, we have precedent with Mewtwo and Lucas in 4, and what we've heard about his stance on DLC recently only reaffirms that he does not develop his games with DLC in mind, at least not until towards the end when everything's pretty much set in place already.

As far as western demand goes, he also mentions the DQVIII hero was picked for that.
Yeah i agree woth that thinking. Also its why i think if we get more fighters(and we will) it wont be in a fighters pass per say, more like either single fighters that he surprises us, or in bundles like an echo bundle that we know everyone is in. It seems like he doesnt like people buying something where they dont know all the fighters in it.

Off topic, but new info for pokemon masters is out, and it looks quite good! Even has a 4 minute animated opening. A lot of attention has been put into this... maybe more then sword and shield lol.

Dukefire

Smash Master

Thinking about what he said, there are characters that are still possible due to their popularity backing them up with their games coming soon. (Well, some of the characters are getting new games.)

If each company is getting three characters only. Then there a few companies that still have spots to filled. Though, not all might be filled if another fighters pass doesn't appear or the said character wasn't able to make it due to reasons or difficult to deal with.
Sega- Sonic, Joker, Bayonetta
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Ken (Echo)
Square Enix: Cloud, The Hero
Namco: Pac-Man

Top Bottom