• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think if one Ballot pick can make it into the Season Pass than so can another. Shantae is still in this so don't give up y'all. Remember when Steve Mayles said on his Twitter "They're talking about their N64 and Gameboy Color days."? Well he would have had
to known Banjo & Kazooie were coming to Smash because he works at Rare and is their creator. He might know who else is in the Season Pass since he tweeted that picture of Banjo & Kazooie and Shantae together and said that. Shantae could be our next character.
We do still need an info dump on Shantae 5 and I really doubt their gonna drop it without having SOMETHING to showcase it in like a direct...and if not E3, its likely a direct by atleast august or September. assuming we get Shantae 5 in the fall during a direct....hmmm we might get her boys.

also no the ARTIST who made that pic said that but Steve did retweet it saying "WILL BANJO SHOW UP AT E3?"

Is it just me or does there seem to be a ton more japanese tweets about Shantae as time goes on?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, time will tell to see the next challenger. Until then, lets cheer and laugh away at the two new reveals we got.
Banjo & Kazooie Smash Bros_1.gif

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Something I've noticed thats only really happening now from Banjo and Kazooie, even people on /v/ are saying Shantae is the most likely next western character...that and Doom Slayer and the occasional Crash, but she's spiked suddenly in showed support.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something I've noticed thats only really happening now from Banjo and Kazooie, even people on /v/ are saying Shantae is the most likely next western character...that and Doom Slayer and the occasional Crash, but she's spiked suddenly in showed support.
And her support started to climb since her appearence as a spirit. It continued from there with Stage Builder arriving on Version 3.0 with Joker as the first Challenger.

Though question, what else character has a history with the GBC (Gameboy Color) other then shantae at her humble beginnings.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Really? Haven't seen it much here, but that's great to hear. Was the fact that there was no western character a major factor in disregarding Shantae?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Really? Haven't seen it much here, but that's great to hear. Was the fact that there was no western character a major factor in disregarding Shantae?
That and Indie characters wasn't big enough to join smash back then before Ultimate arrived.

1. Shovel Knight became as Assist Trophy. Breaking fan rule no indies in Smash other then just Trophy.
2. No western characters. Fan rule destoryed with King K Rool and now Banjo-Kazooie crushing it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That and Indie characters wasn't big enough to join smash back then before Ultimate arrived.

1. Shovel Knight became as Assist Trophy. Breaking fan rule no indies in Smash other then just Trophy.
2. No western characters. Fan rule destoryed with King K Rool and now Banjo-Kazooie crushing it.
I think we can also thank Cadence of Hyrule, as that showcased the trust Nintendo has in Indies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
so they added Hero and Banjo to the Banner. Still.... no one is dancing with Daisy JUST yet... I still think that could be Shantae there

Im gonna list off all the characters I know of personally that I think could be the last two, disregarding how I feel about some of them. A few are first party just cause I can kiiinda see them being hype for certain reasons

Dante
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa
Sora
Steve
Shantae
Reimu
Doom Slayer
Rex
Geno
Rayman
Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
Crash
Jibanyan
Paper Mario
Porky
Yeah I see those really being the last remaining high hype characters left. Of those Shantae and Reimu are my 2 hype ones.

So, more pokemon gameplay shows that one leak was full on legit. COnfirmed the electric corgi Pamper and conformed that water Gym Leader's name and her gym puzzle (as well as the other things we got confirmed during the direct)

With that said I'm interested to see what all the other things they mentioned will be like.

On to fighter pass, I'm so far half and half for it: Definitely want B&K, DQ hero is either way, and Joker I don't care much about at all. So still not sure if I will buy all at once or just get the few I care about.

But the release windows make things pretty tight. Summer for "Hero" fall for Banjo. Basically means middle of Winter and the very last day of February if there aren't any delays.

Still lots of cool things shown off this time around. Mana games, DQ 11, Witcher, more evidence for me to hope that Beast is playable in MUA and not just an NPC in cutscenes...
That is very interesting that the pokemon leak is probably 100% confirmed now.

And yeah I do agree, if they still plan to finish by Feb, its getting close. I mean... Hero releasing Jully, Banjo September, 4th December, and last Febuary can still work

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

I think people made exception for Diddy and K-rool from the "no western character" fan rule because they were owned by Nintendo themselves.

But Banjo, Full on Western owned and made character. breaking that fan rule for good.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think people made exception for Diddy and K-rool from the "no western character" fan rule because they were owned by Nintendo themselves.

But Banjo, Full on Western owned and made character. breaking that fan rule for good.
Guess Banjo was the final piece the knock the wall down.

I just wonder what is left on Sakurai's list of surprises.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, I don't want to dash anyone's hopes (I've bought MInecraft twice and love the franchise) but I think Steve being a fighter at this point is unlikely.

If we look at all the Content that released with Joker, I think we can assume that Steve will probably be a Mii Sword fighter costume since the Banjo franchise doesn't have a whole lot of characters people would really want a costume of. Going further, I think we will get a halo Spartan gunner costume.

And not to toot my own horn... But I kind of predicted the Link's awakening dungeon builder last night... Kind of...

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Didn't Matt Bozon or someone from WayForward say "Shantae for 4 out of 5 Smash DLC" or something like that when DLC for Ultimate was first revealed?

I really don't want to start that cycle of needless speculation again, but I can't help but feel that rubs me the wrong way now. It was weird the way they said it, especially the "4 out of 5" thing.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Didn't Matt Bozon or someone from WayForward say "Shantae for 4 out of 5 Smash DLC" or something like that when DLC for Ultimate was first revealed?

I really don't want to start that cycle of needless speculation again, but I can't help but feel that rubs me the wrong way now. It was weird the way they said it, especially the "4 out of 5" thing.
It was Matt and he was open about it being a typo. He was just trying to say "Shantae for 1 of the 5" or something along those lines

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Heyo guys. Big day today, huh? Watched the Nintendo E3 Direct and right after had to go straight to work. Haven't had anytime really, cept for now.
Nintendo really brought it home for me this year. After watching other E3 showings I was kinda bummed. I thought SquareEnix would show off something I cared about, like that new Bravely Default they said was being made.

Bummed that Animal Crossing was delayed, but hey that was kinda expected. It looks great though, and I can't wait for it.
Banjo-Kazooie made me day, like a lot. Really happy that a non-human got in, cause we kept getting a lot of that with DLC it seems.
But I got goosebumps from that Zelda showing. That one more thing. Breath of the Wild was already my favorite game on Switch so far.
So so excited and that scares me. Cause I just can't live without it right now.

Sorry for the wall of text, hope everyone is doing well. I still will hold on for Shantae no matter what. Cheers!

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

It's better then nothing to speculate. Right now, we have something to chew on for awhile thanks to the double reveals that was showed, sadly nothing to really discuss about Shantae except bumping her up the list of possible DLC since Da Bear & Bird, 'The Hero' is now confirmed.

I honestly think it was an accidental mistake on Matt for the mixed up of words. Getting hyped up like any fan. Doesn't mean she's out. Just think Twiiter response was a goof on their part.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
That's one Western pick down. Who else (Western) is requested as much as Banjo-Kazooie were? Glad they made it, since they were my last hope. A decade and a half I've finally experienced the feeling of getting a wanted character in the game.

And now to continue the wait for the best part...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I don't want to dash anyone's hopes (I've bought MInecraft twice and love the franchise) but I think Steve being a fighter at this point is unlikely.

If we look at all the Content that released with Joker, I think we can assume that Steve will probably be a Mii Sword fighter costume since the Banjo franchise doesn't have a whole lot of characters people would really want a costume of. Going further, I think we will get a halo Spartan gunner costume.

And not to toot my own horn... But I kind of predicted the Link's awakening dungeon builder last night... Kind of...
I mean, it was obvious that the supposed Minecraft content wound up being misinterpretation. Still no Ender Dragon, and it's looking likely that one of Verge's sources never heard of Cubivore when he saw the pig. A Mii costume seems like the best compromise anyway.

Speaking of Link's Awakening, there is a spirit event for it set up.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_board_event_is_zelda_links_awakening-themed

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Even after the Direct was over, we still got two more days of the E3 event to go on.

But yeah, with Banjo-Kazooie coming as a Western character rep. There stands no reason to not have western characters come to smash with no history in the east. So, all hands open for Western characters to come and join in the fun.
1508277384687.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So when can we expect Shantae 5 news, I dont see WF just casually tossing it out themselves.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Current theory says the indie showcase at Nintendo Treehouse on Friday.
That would be tomorrow. Though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think what WF said before the event was true to their word so far. Hope I am wrong.

Don't forget that Cadence of Hyrule will be released on the same day as Indie Day 2019.
D8ViCJCUYAApmwU.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Heyo guys. Big day today, huh? Watched the Nintendo E3 Direct and right after had to go straight to work. Haven't had anytime really, cept for now.
Nintendo really brought it home for me this year. After watching other E3 showings I was kinda bummed. I thought SquareEnix would show off something I cared about, like that new Bravely Default they said was being made.

Bummed that Animal Crossing was delayed, but hey that was kinda expected. It looks great though, and I can't wait for it.
Banjo-Kazooie made me day, like a lot. Really happy that a non-human got in, cause we kept getting a lot of that with DLC it seems.
But I got goosebumps from that Zelda showing. That one more thing. Breath of the Wild was already my favorite game on Switch so far.
So so excited and that scares me. Cause I just can't live without it right now.

Sorry for the wall of text, hope everyone is doing well. I still will hold on for Shantae no matter what. Cheers!
I kind of feel the same way about Fire Emblem Three Houses, the new plot details show promise but I feel it could also go horribly wrong. Like, these three kingdoms/monarchs end up being selfish, murderous and self-destructive jerks without Byleth at their side. I just don't want him to turn out to be some Mary Sue that turns whoever he decides to back into a pure, friendly entity that can do no wrong. I hope they end up shedding some light about how the timeskip works at the Treehouse, even if it's unlikely. Then again, all that would tie into what seems to be the theme of the game in how being alone can lead one to make poor decisions...

zferolie

Smash Hero
So hopefully we see either shantae 5 or river city girls at the indie day, but wayforward said they werent going to be at e3, so we need to wait and see.

Anyway, as for the next dlc character, i am guessing we wont see anything till the september direct. Hero will get a video and release in july, and in the september direct they will go over banjo i bet. Also they would go over other additions like other modes, mii costumes, and such.

So i feel after they talk about banjo we will get the next trailer. Then in december we will get the video about that character, and the game awards will reveal the last character. In the February video we will also find out if their will be more dlc or not. Still thinking there will be.

As for who... it really can be any popular 3rd party character at this point. Ryu, shantae, Geno(though if he gets a mii costume when hero releases i think thats his death sentence), doomguy, Reimu, Rayman, a Tales rep, and more... its nuts that we, for the first time in awhile, have no clues or leaks or hints who it will be.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So hopefully we see either shantae 5 or river city girls at the indie day, but wayforward said they werent going to be at e3, so we need to wait and see.

Anyway, as for the next dlc character, i am guessing we wont see anything till the september direct. Hero will get a video and release in july, and in the september direct they will go over banjo i bet. Also they would go over other additions like other modes, mii costumes, and such.

So i feel after they talk about banjo we will get the next trailer. Then in december we will get the video about that character, and the game awards will reveal the last character. In the February video we will also find out if their will be more dlc or not. Still thinking there will be.

As for who... it really can be any popular 3rd party character at this point. Ryu, shantae, Geno(though if he gets a mii costume when hero releases i think thats his death sentence), doomguy, Reimu, Rayman, a Tales rep, and more... its nuts that we, for the first time in awhile, have no clues or leaks or hints who it will be.
I actually DONT want to see it tomorrw..the reason is I believe Apple may have forced them to reveal it early and they played it off as intended reveal cause PR and stuff. but Apple Watch had that little leak and may have even dealed with them to announce it earlier then intended, its all just speculation but I think they were waiting for a fall reveal. That would furher my idea of Shantae Smash reveal.

Man Im really nuts about this...

zferolie

Smash Hero
I actually DONT want to see it tomorrw..the reason is I believe Apple may have forced them to reveal it early and they played it off as intended reveal cause PR and stuff. but Apple Watch had that little leak and may have even dealed with them to announce it earlier then intended, its all just speculation but I think they were waiting for a fall reveal. That would furher my idea of Shantae Smash reveal.

Man Im really nuts about this...
Yeah i can see apple having wayforward reveal it early to showcase on its system, or wayforward just announcing it then for some screentime on apple. It could work well to reveal shantae 5 fully at the september direct or the august nindie direct, with a seemless transition into a smash reveal trailer. Wishful thinking but awesome at the same time.

I honestly though really want to see river city girls tommorow more. All we got is a title and we know a good artist is behind the art direction, i just need to see it now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What are the known codenames that were datamined? I remember Jack and Brave, but were there others? Or were they not able to datamine them yet?
To clear it up;

Packun Flower(exact Japanese name of Piranha Plant)
Jack(became Joker)
Doyle(become a part of the moveset called Arsene, for Joker)
Jane(was a costume for Joker, nowhere to be found)
A ton of others that were specific literal names for various Persona 5 characters
Brave(exact Japanese name of Hero. It wasn't a reference like Jack and Doyle were at all. But a literal name. It's not even "Erdrick" either, but the proper name. Hero spans 4 different costumes, with Luminary as the face of Hero, with Erdrick, Solo, and Eight as pure costumes).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's also likely that they might have squeezed in a first party for this pass, such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 starter or even Sylux.

Yeah i can see apple having wayforward reveal it early to showcase on its system, or wayforward just announcing it then for some screentime on apple. It could work well to reveal shantae 5 fully at the september direct or the august nindie direct, with a seemless transition into a smash reveal trailer. Wishful thinking but awesome at the same time.

I honestly though really want to see river city girls tommorow more. All we got is a title and we know a good artist is behind the art direction, i just need to see it now.
So there will be an indie direct next month? Interesting. Can't say I heard about that. If it's as awesome as the last one, I'm definitely tuning in.

Come to think of it, the mystery of the accidental Kirby footage at the end of the previous one was never solved, was it?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man been arguing back and forth woth a guy on the new billy video because he is dead set on fan theories being true, mostly spirits are disconfirmed because reggie said new characters and shantae is not new. That is such a stupid mindset. So when any other game says new characters are coming that would stop characters that have been in but not playable?! That happens a lot in fighting games!!

It's also likely that they might have squeezed in a first party for this pass, such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 starter or even Sylux.

So there will be an indie direct next month? Interesting. Can't say I heard about that. If it's as awesome as the last one, I'm definitely tuning in.

Come to think of it, the mystery of the accidental Kirby footage at the end of the previous one was never solved, was it?
I dont think we are getting a first party unless its a new series to the game that would bring a ton of hype(like golden sun or paper mario). Because the smash x dlc series every smash trailer has done for dlc so far.

The indie direct should be in August. It has been the last 3 years.

I dont think it has...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well at any rate I wouldn't count out some sort of promotional addition in the current last slot. Or oddball choice, whichever the case. Nothing says it'll just be third parties until everything's made clear.

Good point on the Direct though.

That being said, while our gal may not show up at E3, WayForward took the opportunity to have some price-reduction sales for her games.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With Banjo-Kazooie and Dragon Quest Heroes having to take the spotlight. I don't think its possible Shantae 5 would be able to compete against that.

Its too much for the girl to fight head on, so glad WF decided to not show up or else be consumed by Smash's Hype flame.
Screenshot_20190612-135634_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20190612-135746_Video Player.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With Banjo-Kazooie and Dragon Quest Heroes having to take the spotlight. I don't think its possible Shantae 5 would be able to compete against that.

Its too much for the girl to fight head on, so glad WF decided to not show up or else be consumed by Smash's Hype flame.
Yeah. Sadly, Ubisoft and Bethseda shouldn't even have bothered to come, when even Microsoft's conference was more interesting than theirs.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah. Sadly, Ubisoft and Bethseda shouldn't even have bothered to come, when even Microsoft's conference was more interesting than theirs.
Granted, some games they presented was great. Though, sad news for Pokemon fans that Sword and Shield won't allow them to Gotta Catch Them All.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Eh well, sometimes sacrifices happen.

At least I'm glad that Luigi's Mansion 3 will no longer be seen as "3DS game on Switch", with the nice showing it got.
I'm surprised at how few people realized how Luigi's back throw ended up being another reference to an upcoming game.

Well at any rate I wouldn't count out some sort of promotional addition in the current last slot. Or oddball choice, whichever the case. Nothing says it'll just be third parties until everything's made clear.

Good point on the Direct though.

That being said, while our gal may not show up at E3, WayForward took the opportunity to have some price-reduction sales for her games.

If there's one thing Wayforward seems to be good at, it's reading trends and fan intentions. Then again they were probably going to hold this sale regardless of how Nintendo fared this E3. The latter still seems to be considered a second home for Wayforward.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Makes me wonder if we'll get the last two (assuming Banjo is Packu) in future updates as Nintendo prepares to implement their data...
Banjo want packu, that was the codename for piranha plant. I was only making a joke since we never got a code name leaked for banjo.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Hey guys back from the dead after seeing my childhood favorite Banjo and Kazooie back among the Nintendo gang.

Also that trailer for BotW sequel got my brain going a million miles per hour thinking how my DFT speculation just got a major boosts thanks to the reveal of Ganondorf at the end.

So hopefully we find out what character comes out next once "The Hero" content is downloaded. Hopefully with more codenames added as well.

Top Bottom