• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Today is my birthday, what a day to have this wait for a gift of new games.
Well happy birthday. remember, even if no shantae today, its not the end of her, and there will be cool stuff non the less in this direct

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope Shantae makes it guys, it will be amazing to see her and Banjo & Kazooie in this Direct if it happens. See you on the other side.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hopeing for 1 reveal with a shadow drop today, and then a teaser trailer for the next on(like how joker got one). Think its likely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So we got 2 characters shown, Hero and Banjo, but no shadow drop for today is interesting... Can they get all 5 done by February then?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, damn... Just, DAMN! Did not expect that "one last thing" so soon.

Also how did they do that to us TWICE?! (if you saw it you know what I mean)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Can we just admire this for a moment.

View attachment 227305
Man, Banjo looks amazing, so does the Hero. Hero is honestly the best pick other then slime for the DQ series. Both characters though look amazing.

So, thats the 2 most likely character choices down. 2 more left... just who will it be? Its really looking like every character is going to be a third party(point in Shantae's favor) and a big surprise/wow factor(also in shantae's favor)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Man, Banjo looks amazing, so does the Hero. Hero is honestly the best pick other then slime for the DQ series. Both characters though look amazing.

So, thats the 2 most likely character choices down. 2 more left... just who will it be? Its really looking like every character is going to be a third party(point in Shantae's favor) and a big surprise/wow factor(also in shantae's favor)
Joker: Altas/Sega
The Hero: Square Enix
Banjo and Kazooie: Microsoft
Challenger #4: ???
Challenger #5: ???

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
AAnnd GameFreak really dropped the pokeball on this... Only being able to transfer pokemon that are already in the Galar reagion? What's even the point of it then? I love the Pokemon Company more than most, but this is really a boneheaded move... The first mainline game where you CAN'T catch 'em all...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Joker: Altas/Sega
The Hero: Square Enix
Banjo and Kazooie: Microsoft
Challenger #4: ???
Challenger #5: ???
My Wish?

Shantae: Way Forward
Reimu: Team Shanghai Alice

AAnnd GameFreak really dropped the pokeball on this... Only being able to transfer pokemon that are already in the Galar reagion? What's even the point of it then? I love the Pokemon Company more than most, but this is really a boneheaded move... The first mainline game where you CAN'T catch 'em all...
Thats what the remakes of Gen 4 will do. Also, we know pokemon bank is going to allow all transfers... so they would have to allow all pokemon

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So.... Shantae for fall reveal? huh? but daaaaamn B&K ARE BACK!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
My Wish?

Shantae: Way Forward
Reimu: Team Shanghai Alice

Thats what the remakes of Gen 4 will do. Also, we know pokemon bank is going to allow all transfers... so they would have to allow all pokemon
Pokemon Bank doesn't interact with Sword and Shield. Pokemon Home does and they explicitly said that animating all 800+ pokemon for SwSh would take too long and that is why Home will only tranfer over pokemon already in the region.

They didn;t have time to code all the pokemon into the game, so they won't be in the game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pokemon Bank doesn't interact with Sword and Shield. Pokemon Home does and they explicitly said that animating all 800+ pokemon for SwSh would take too long and that is why Home will only tranfer over pokemon already in the region.

They didn;t have time to code all the pokemon into the game, so they won't be in the game.
Really? They said that? I hope that only means at the launch of Home. And they will add more and more over time through raid battles to unlock them for catching and training

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well look at this, an E3 sale for Shantae games thats Nintendo consoles only... I still have hope man we NEED to get more info eventually if this Shantae 5 game is indeed coming out this year.
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1138503567860305920

also...haha. What does "Rarin to go" sound like? Maybe kinda like sorta "Ret-2-Go!"?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am sure we may see either shantae 5 or river city girls at the nindie thing thursday.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Really? They said that? I hope that only means at the launch of Home. And they will add more and more over time through raid battles to unlock them for catching and training
I kind of wonder if they will just put all the pokemon that don't make it into SwSh into the gen 4 remakes when they happen.

A lot of people won't be too affected by this, but every pokemon is SOMEONE's favorite. Gonna be tough for that one or two people whose favorites all get left in gen 7.

Also, The pokemon FB page is deleting posts because most comments are about disappointment over the news. I do feel bad for GameFreak, they had to know this reaction was coming and they new they would have to reveal it eventually.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is the Discounts for E3 on Shantae's Games. DLC not including for the discount.
D8zCppDXoAAhXFk.jpeg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So going off alot of polls in the past for Smash wanted characters, like this one the next third party (and honestly the next really truly "hype inducing" character) is Shantae.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Cause I mean I dont want to be rude but lets be honest for this Fighter Pass atleast, Bandanna Dee and Paper Mario wouldnt really be super hype "holy ****" reveals.

even n that unofficial fighter pass ballot Sora and Steve are the only third parties above Shantae. And uhhh I dont expect Steve with it being TWO Microsoft owned characters. just personal thoughts. I could see Sora next or something utterly out of nowhere. but popularity wise on many polls and stuff, Shantae is now basically the top most wanted with the Bear and Bird out of the way.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So going off alot of polls in the past for Smash wanted characters, like this one the next third party (and honestly the next really truly "hype inducing" character) is Shantae.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Cause I mean I dont want to be rude but lets be honest for this Fighter Pass atleast, Bandanna Dee and Paper Mario wouldnt really be super hype "holy ****" reveals.

even n that unofficial fighter pass ballot Sora and Steve are the only third parties above Shantae. And uhhh I dont expect Steve with it being TWO Microsoft owned characters. just personal thoughts. I could see Sora next or something utterly out of nowhere. but popularity wise on many polls and stuff, Shantae is now basically the top most wanted with the Bear and Bird out of the way.
We aren't getting any first party characters, unless its a true super hype character. Only one I would say fits that is Paper Mario, due to the love of that series.

Every remaining character I think is going for the hype. Shantae is one for sure because an Indie making it to smash is hype. Others would be Rayman, Reimu, Doom Slayer, Dante, And some others. Expect the next 2 to be big name third parties

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just watched it. Congratulations to the 2, especially B&K. They looked amazing. Not to be rude to those who wanted DQ character. He looks bland and boring. Robin/Link 2.0 to me.
Hero looks actually quite interesting. The spell system, choosing different spells is a unique feature, plus using mana for attacks

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im gonna list off all the characters I know of personally that I think could be the last two, disregarding how I feel about some of them. A few are first party just cause I can kiiinda see them being hype for certain reasons

Dante
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa
Sora
Steve
Shantae
Reimu
Doom Slayer
Rex
Geno
Rayman
Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
Crash
Jibanyan
Paper Mario
Porky

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hero looks actually quite interesting. The spell system, choosing different spells is a unique feature, plus using mana for attacks
At least two of the spells were very unique. Kaclang which turns you into a metal and immune to knockback statue, and Kamikazee which sacrifices a stock for a big explosion. Compared to Robin he has more tools and resources off the bat, but it may be more difficult to replenish them, if it's even possible at all.

View attachment 227432

You can probably guess why I posted this. A barrier got finally broken, boys and girls!
Which one, the no western third party rule? Or how Hero breaks gameplay boundaries by having more than four specials without transforming? (This bodes well for my gameplay ideas for Shantae!)

I'll admit my heart skipped a beat seeing World Of Light represented in the trailer, hoping that a former spirit would show up. Silly me in retrospect, Shantae is under Galeem's thrall, not Dharkon's! Oh well, it was nice to see him get some time in the spotlight.

Whatever happens with Shantae 5, we can enjoy Cadence of Hyrule in two days.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At least two of the spells were very unique. Kaclang which turns you into a metal and immune to knockback statue, and Kamikazee which sacrifices a stock for a big explosion. Compared to Robin he has more tools and resources off the bat, but it may be more difficult to replenish them, if it's even possible at all.

Which one, the no western third party rule? Or how Hero breaks gameplay boundaries by having more than four specials without transforming? (This bodes well for my gameplay ideas for Shantae!)

I'll admit my heart skipped a beat seeing World Of Light represented in the trailer, hoping that a former spirit would show up. Silly me in retrospect, Shantae is under Galeem's thrall, not Dharkon's! Oh well, it was nice to see him get some time in the spotlight.

Whatever happens with Shantae 5, we can enjoy Cadence of Hyrule in two days.
No Western third party. Either way, that fan rule is dead like a doornail.

All that's left now is to wait and see if the WOL slots datamine amounts to anything. In the meantime, I'm so glad that I actually have no idea who's coming next again, now.

Dukefire

Smash Master
At least not a lot of people went into full salt mode. But yeah, we have no more breadcrumbs to follow for now to see the last two challengers yet to be announced.

Hope to find out again soon.

Screenshot_20190611-122529_YouTube.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, more pokemon gameplay shows that one leak was full on legit. COnfirmed the electric corgi Pamper and conformed that water Gym Leader's name and her gym puzzle (as well as the other things we got confirmed during the direct)

With that said I'm interested to see what all the other things they mentioned will be like.

On to fighter pass, I'm so far half and half for it: Definitely want B&K, DQ hero is either way, and Joker I don't care much about at all. So still not sure if I will buy all at once or just get the few I care about.

But the release windows make things pretty tight. Summer for "Hero" fall for Banjo. Basically means middle of Winter and the very last day of February if there aren't any delays.

Still lots of cool things shown off this time around. Mana games, DQ 11, Witcher, more evidence for me to hope that Beast is playable in MUA and not just an NPC in cutscenes...

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Well, There is not too many more 3rd party characters standing in Shantae's way if we go by fan polls right?
Generally shes floating around 3rd now?

Dukefire

Smash Master
The only ones (based on my observations) that are still standing are
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Spyro the Dragon
3. Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
4. Resident Evil
5. Few Other Indie characters

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think so. Not many is coming to my mind that tops her in fan polls.
Well, There is not too many more 3rd party characters standing in Shantae's way if we go by fan polls right?
Generally shes floating around 3rd now?
Sora and uhh theres that ONE results for a poll whee Shantae was 17th but all other polls and unofficial ballots basically have only topped by Sora in terms of other third parties, or now the top third party/

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Was working during the initial Presentation. Needless to say my coworker wasnt too happy with that :p
Going to be honest I was hoping Banjo wasnt going to be revealed, but that was because i though there was only going to be one reveal, and if it was banjo, people would try and resurrect the grinch leak. However since we have both the hero, the best name for a fighter ever, AND banjo, my worries are resolved, and im glad his fans finally got what they deserve. Plus his tralier was hilarious. Wonder if they'll do a troll gag if shantae does get revealed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think if one Ballot pick can make it into the Season Pass than so can another. Shantae is still in this so don't give up y'all. Remember when Steve Mayles said on his Twitter "They're talking about their N64 and Gameboy Color days."? Well he would have had
to known Banjo & Kazooie were coming to Smash because he works at Rare and is their creator. He might know who else is in the Season Pass since he tweeted that picture of Banjo & Kazooie and Shantae together and said that. Shantae could be our next character.

Top Bottom