• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just gonna leave this here, AcornSpice on Twitter drew Shantae as a Sonic-style character.

https://twitter.com/acorn_spice/status/1129917933487050752

Posting link, since image upload's borked again. Though I won't post on here more than once today anyways.

Not even the glorified Shovel Knight made it on there. I wonder why his demand got ded.

Shantae in the top 5's always makes me proud.
To put it politely, Shovel Knight support was a trend, kind of like the current Erdrick/Steve mass support.

Granted, seeing any character in a form that isn't playable tends to make people throw the towel, but still.

Also, lets try to avoid being narrow-minded until the big news arrives for the new challenger(s).
Yes. We can't assume that anyone's "lost" until the truth is unveiled by E3.

Also, rejoice for the forthcoming arrival of our pirate queen in figure form!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just gonna leave this here, AcornSpice on Twitter drew Shantae as a Sonic-style character.

https://twitter.com/acorn_spice/status/1129917933487050752

Posting link, since image upload's borked again. Though I won't post on here more than once today anyways.

To put it politely, Shovel Knight support was a trend, kind of like the current Erdrick/Steve mass support.

Granted, seeing any character in a form that isn't playable tends to make people throw the towel, but still.

Yes. We can't assume that anyone's "lost" until the truth is unveiled by E3.

Also, rejoice for the forthcoming arrival of our pirate queen in figure form!
Well, that unofficial ballot straight up didn't allow you to vote for assist trophies, so there is that. Plus his own little Smash game...

zferolie

Smash Hero
So Vergeben is making leaks again. Whats funny is unless I missed it not a single one is Smash releated. Unless he said it elsewhere it seems he is avoiding smash leaks, after all his dlc predictions have been wrong so far.

So, are we beleiveing him or not?

Dukefire

Smash Master
This is me as E3 is creeping closer and speculations appear.
Screenshot_20190519-163324_YouTube.jpg

Choose if you want to believe or not, just don't get yourself washed away if it wasn't correct.

D

Deleted member

So Vergeben is making leaks again. Whats funny is unless I missed it not a single one is Smash releated. Unless he said it elsewhere it seems he is avoiding smash leaks, after all his dlc predictions have been wrong so far.

In regards to Smash, he says Erdrick is confirmed. I'm not believing him and I stopped believing him after Joker was revealed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
fan art from RuRu on Twitter, in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

D5q1crDUUAAtuw_.jpg

His track record for other Bamco-related fighter DLC has been largely bunk. You know the score.

Also, anything that's Viewtiful Joe-related beyond fighter appearances is a pipe dream anyway...Won't believe that for a second. I'm completely done with this guy.

But, seeing as he believes a specific DBZ character is coming? Not gonna lie, I'll look forward to seeing that backfire.

george-costanza-popcorn.gif

Choose if you want to believe or not, just don't get yourself washed away if it wasn't correct.
Same those go for those who are sure that Eddy's in here.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, with all speculation. It might end up like this or worse if the hype for that character was not selected and something else was chosen that was under a lot of people's noses.

Only for the initial reaction phase before things settle down weeks later. So, not everyone won't take it too bad depending on the mental preparation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, with all speculation. It might end up like this or worse if the hype for that character was not selected and something else was chosen that was under a lot of people's noses.

Only for the initial reaction phase before things settle down weeks later. So, not everyone won't take it too bad depending on the mental preparation.
Also, not everyone is immune from deconfirmation. Even characters that everyone and their mothers assume to be in because big-name text leaks said so.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lets see once two weeks passes and starts on June 9.

Also, here is an artwork with Shantae.

Artist: KrazyBones
D7BYJ4PX4AEjyDZ.png

Dukefire

Smash Master
Double Shantae artwork for today.

Artist for both: JaysonBlade

Either she is a Guardian Angel
i_can_be_your_angel_by_jaysonblade-dd7ejs9.jpg

Or your Demon
or_your_vassel_by_jaysonblade-dd7ek43.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just so you guys know, someone made Giga Mermaid into a Stage Builder stage.
That's cool, however I am personally more interested in what I'll be able to create in Super Mario Maker 2 these days. Making Hypno Baron's Castle will be my first test in the 3D World style as the clear pipes simulate the twisting doorways. Could even repurpose it to Officer Mode with the On/Off blocks and new level objectives.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's cool, however I am personally more interested in what I'll be able to create in Super Mario Maker 2 these days. Making Hypno Baron's Castle will be my first test in the 3D World style as the clear pipes simulate the twisting doorways. Could even repurpose it to Officer Mode with the On/Off blocks and new level objectives.
I could definitely recreate the Mermaid Factory and Run Run Rottytops with some of the new features.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could definitely recreate the Mermaid Factory and Run Run Rottytops with some of the new features.
Ah yes, the grabby claws and gentle slopes (I wonder how many people will just make huge slides as levels), with diagonal quick autoscrolling to discourage lollygagging. If Chargin' Chucks are in they'd be good stand-ins for Techno Grunts. Don't know which theme would best fit ''industrial'' though, maybe 3D World's ''airship'' which is actually a train?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ah yes, the grabby claws and gentle slopes (I wonder how many people will just make huge slides as levels), with diagonal quick autoscrolling to discourage lollygagging. If Chargin' Chucks are in they'd be good stand-ins for Techno Grunts. Don't know which theme would best fit ''industrial'' though, maybe 3D World's ''airship'' which is actually a train?
I was probably gonna do the underground theme for the Factory

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is another shantae artwork and its meancing......

Also, speculation videos and posts for Fighters Pass DLC are increasing. Better start on getting prepared with 3 weeks remaining on the clock.

Plus, hope to see what Shantae 5 has to offer on its gameplay demo.
D2io5uLX0AA-zF9.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also, speculation videos and posts for Fighters Pass DLC are increasing. Better start on getting prepared with 3 weeks remaining on the clock.

View attachment 223337
Absolute current state of the Smash fanbase:

Also, good art.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Quality JoJoke, mate!

View attachment 223337
I’ll start battening down the hatches. I suggest you all do so too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Another leak video is out, and not from laxchris! Shantae is not in it but a character Christina vee voices is.

I dont think this leak is real, mostly due to how the poster just goes off at the end, plus no Microsoft rep, but its an interesting leak and wanted to share

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Quality JoJoke, mate!

I’ll start battening down the hatches. I suggest you all do so too.
Way ahead of you on that front.

tenor.gif

Although the best strategy is still to not go on the board.

Also, all well and good to tell the people here about it, but you ought to inform other support threads to get ready too. Some are more susceptible to disappointment than others.

Last edited:

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Another leak video is out, and not from laxchris! Shantae is not in it but a character Christina vee voices is.

I dont think this leak is real, mostly due to how the poster just goes off at the end, plus no Microsoft rep, but its an interesting leak and wanted to share
I'm going to choose to believe this leak is real. There's absolutely nothing that could be more disappointing. Even if it's fake and I didn't get any characters I want I at least don't want any more FE reps or Pokemon reps. Especially not ones that are just advertisements. Anything besides this would be a relief.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm going to choose to believe this leak is real. There's absolutely nothing that could be more disappointing. Even if it's fake and I didn't get any characters I want I at least don't want any more FE reps or Pokemon reps. Especially not ones that are just advertisements. Anything besides this would be a relief.
While i wouldnt hate this roster i do agree enough fire emblem. Pokemon i dont mind but would rather have a thirs gen like gardevoir or a trainer that fights alongside her pokemon like cynthia.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The way the "leak" is worded reminds me of the Chadnondorf Leak which seemed to have a connection to the Grinch Leak. Both posters have a foul mouth and seem ticked off, but also seem like they want to troll people for attention.

Also all these new "leaks" mention Joker as if he wasn't already revealed/released for some reason and it feels dumb. Plus, with what Sakurai said about the DLC character spirit boards, I'm sure this "leak" has been pretty much dead since it was created. meh, just realized that doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The one weak link for that leak is ironically the Pokémon. If his name's revealed and it's not Baboom, then down she goes.
That's really unoriginal for a name and doesn't even reference a plant or whatever gimmick the Pokemon will have. Plus there's already a Nintendo character with it, who perfectly captures my feelings towards the leak:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm not buying this one.

Edrick - Free Space. To be fair, I think he's pretty likely, but it's a safe, easy guess for a "leak" given that a lot of people are already convinced that DQ is getting in.

Edelgard - Why her in particular?

Nothing against her mind you, but we've no reason to believe she holds any more significance than her fellow house leaders Dimitri and Claude. She's gotten a few extra seconds of screen time in trailers and footage but that's about it. People want her because they want more weapon variety for the FE cast which is fine. She has an axe, great. However, Dimitri has a lance and Claude has a bow, both of which could also work. More over Byleth who while yes another Lord w/Sword, is the player character, who will likely hold more significance than the latter 3 and can still be unique due to his sword also being a whip. If we do end up getting more Fire Emblem my bets are on Byleth.

To answer the initial question though; another safe pick. The leaker was likely aware that FE fans gravitated toward her from the moment Three Houses was announced, making her a popular choice for a rep.

Phoenix Wright - Plausible. Nothing really for or against this character have come up. They're a high contender for another Capcom rep tho

Countess - I'd love for this one to be true, but I'm betting on the leaker trying to ride the "Jane" train, as that's another point of speculation many have latched onto.

Baboom - First off, that better not be the actual name. Second, it's another easy pick. New Pokemon is something plenty of people want/expect. Plus going with the Grass type will satiate the fans' need to complete a type trio with :ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

Lastly, their tone just makes it sound like they're trying to act angry and disappointed for the purpose of making other people buy into it and get salty as many are won't to do whenever leaks don't have the content they're looking for. It feels like a bait post imo.

I do think most of the picks are possible/plausible, but if they get anything right I doubt it'll be from actual insider info and will instead just be good guesswork based on the Smash communities own speculation.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not buying this one.

Edrick - Free Space. To be fair, I think he's pretty likely, but it's a safe, easy guess for a "leak" given that a lot of people are already convinced that DQ is getting in.

Nothing against her mind you, but we've no reason to believe she holds any more significance than her fellow house leaders Dimitri and Claude. She's gotten a few extra seconds of screen time in trailers and footage but that's about it. People want her because they want more weapon variety for the FE cast which is fine. She has an axe, great. However, Dimitri has a lance and Claude has a bow, both of which could also work. More over Byleth who while yes another Lord w/Sword, is the player character, who will likely hold more significance than the latter 3 and can still be unique due to his sword also being a whip. If we do end up getting more Fire Emblem my bets are on Byleth.

To answer the initial question though; another safe pick. The leaker was likely aware that FE fans gravitated toward her from the moment Three Houses was announced, making her a popular choice for a rep.

Phoenix Wright - Plausible. Nothing really for or against this character have come up. They're a high contender for another Capcom rep tho

Countess - I'd love for this one to be true, but I'm betting on the leaker trying to ride the "Jane" train, as that's another point of speculation many have latched onto.

Baboom - First off, that better not be the actual name. Second, it's another easy pick. New Pokemon is something plenty of people want/expect. Plus going with the Grass type will satiate the fans' need to complete a type trio with :ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

Lastly, their tone just makes it sound like they're trying to act angry and disappointed for the purpose of making other people buy into it and get salty as many are won't to do whenever leaks don't have the content they're looking for. It feels like a bait post imo.

I do think most of the picks are possible/plausible, but if they get anything right I doubt it'll be from actual insider info and will instead just be good guesswork based on the Smash communities own speculation.
About Edelgard and ''significance'' in a given game... well, Lyndis is pretty much on equal footing with fellow lords Eliwood and Hector (arguably slightly less since the main conflicts don't directly concern her as much, even with an optional tutorial prologue story focusing on her), yet gets more representation outside of that because fans like her more. You also technically play as a tactician default-named Mark in that game, but no one cares about him. Maybe fans aren't too keen on the next FE character being yet another male/female avatar with a sword and/or want a non-echo definitive female. Edelgard also has been shown to use magic, which has near limitless potential in creative movesets. All three lords are also better placed to show off Three Houses claim to fame, deeply customizable units, compared to Byleth who's main job is non-combative.

For Capcom, I just don't anything happening before Monster Hunter. It's too big to be ignored now.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
About Edelgard and ''significance'' in a given game... well, Lyndis is pretty much on equal footing with fellow lords Eliwood and Hector (arguably slightly less since the main conflicts don't directly concern her as much, even with an optional tutorial prologue story focusing on her), yet gets more representation outside of that because fans like her more. You also technically play as a tactician default-named Mark in that game, but no one cares about him. Maybe fans aren't too keen on the next FE character being yet another male/female avatar with a sword and/or want a non-echo definitive female. Edelgard also has been shown to use magic, which has near limitless potential in creative movesets. All three lords are also better placed to show off Three Houses claim to fame, deeply customizable units, compared to Byleth who's main job is non-combative.

For Capcom, I just don't anything happening before Monster Hunter. It's too big to be ignored now.
Fair points.

The issue I see with Edelgard though is the fact that we don't have the game yet, and we barely know that much info about it. Fans, myself included, may have already taken an early liking to her, but I doubt a warm reception prior to Three Houses even releasing is going to do much for her. If the game was out and she became a fan favorite after the fact, that's more of proper feedback than the early support base she has now.

If we've got another situation with a character being chosen prior to the public's knowledge of the game and it's characters, I'm more inclined to believe we would get Byleth since he/she is the player character and at the very least, it seems like they'll play a major role from the little we have seen. His role as a teacher also isn't necessarily non-combative (rather it is) given that you'll be instructing the other characters in swordplay, magic, etc. Plus it's a given that your character will be thrust into some sort of war/conflict given the series we're talking about.

Granted, as I said earlier, I've no doubts Edelgard could work, and work well at that, I just think it's to early to call her a front runner and place her before Dimitri, Claude, and Byleth when no one's played the game yet.

That's also why I defaulted to Byleth. Being the avatar isn't the reason why I think he should take precedent, rather why I think he would take it. From the developer's standpoint it's going to be the character the player plays as and sees the most of. Outside of that they can't really gauge our interest in characters we haven't gotten to know yet.

As for Capcom, MH is still the big one, but I wouldn't say it's been ignored. It's possible that having a monster as a boss, in this case the ever iconic Rathalos, might be how they felt MH would be best represented.

I still think we could get a Monster Hunter as a fighter, but I do think there a few other big contenders for additional Capcom characters. Chun Li from Street Fighter and a Resident Evil character being the really big ones after MH, with Phoenix Wright coming after them as still somewhat of a solid contender. At the very least I do think we'll get an Ace Attorney Mii costume whenever the Mega Man and MH armor sets get brought back.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not buying this one.

All good points. Yeah they seem like safe bets, and honestly I doubt any of the smash choices are actually safe. People think Banjo and steve are likely but they still aren't safe, as they are microsoft and western characters, both never put into smash yet.

As for the FE and pokemon rep... honestly, if Sakurai said Rex was too new, then I feel these 2 are also WAY too new

I still say anything is possible as Sakurai or nintendo have not said anything against that.

I do agree that pokemon name is stupid.

Bad news everyone, Breloom recently died. The Social's currently mourning.
Breloom? Whos that?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fair points.

The issue I see with Edelgard though is the fact that we don't have the game yet, and we barely know that much info about it. Fans, myself included, may have already taken an early liking to her, but I doubt a warm reception prior to Three Houses even releasing is going to do much for her. If the game was out and she became a fan favorite after the fact, that's more of proper feedback than the early support base she has now.

If we've got another situation with a character being chosen prior to the public's knowledge of the game and it's characters, I'm more inclined to believe we would get Byleth since he/she is the player character and at the very least, it seems like they'll play a major role from the little we have seen. His role as a teacher also isn't necessarily non-combative (rather it is) given that you'll be instructing the other characters in swordplay, magic, etc. Plus it's a given that your character will be thrust into some sort of war/conflict given the series we're talking about.

Granted, as I said earlier, I've no doubts Edelgard could work, and work well at that, I just think it's to early to call her a front runner and place her before Dimitri, Claude, and Byleth when no one's played the game yet.

That's also why I defaulted to Byleth. Being the avatar isn't the reason why I think he should take precedent, rather why I think he would take it. From the developer's standpoint it's going to be the character the player plays as and sees the most of. Outside of that they can't really gauge our interest in characters we haven't gotten to know yet.

As for Capcom, MH is still the big one, but I wouldn't say it's been ignored. It's possible that having a monster as a boss, in this case the ever iconic Rathalos, might be how they felt MH would be best represented.

I still think we could get a Monster Hunter as a fighter, but I do think there a few other big contenders for additional Capcom characters. Chun Li from Street Fighter and a Resident Evil character being the really big ones after MH, with Phoenix Wright coming after them as still somewhat of a solid contender. At the very least I do think we'll get an Ace Attorney Mii costume whenever the Mega Man and MH armor sets get brought back.
Oh, believe me, I am highly skeptical of supporting newly revealed characters with little info, like Kasumi (the thread weirdly desperately hoping she'll be very similar to Joker to increase echo chances seems somewhat myopic), it's just that we actually have said info for Edelgard and Three Houses now and she feels a bit more plausible as a result. Of course an unexpected shift in fan favour is always possible. Speculation is really passion first, logic second no matter how much you try to make it appear otherwise.

However, I feel that if they really wanted to represent Monster Hunter in the base game, we would have at least gotten more songs and maybe a stage with no fighter. What we have right now is close to the bare minimum: a boss and two songs meant to play in places where it's encountered.

Top Bottom