• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not even the glorified Shovel Knight made it on there. I wonder why his demand got ded.

Shantae in the top 5's always makes me proud.
Its weird since Source Gaming's poll DID NOT EXCLUE Assist Trophies as Isaac, Ashey, and others got into the Top 50.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Remember folks, she's doing well in fan polls which is great, but that's no guarantee of anything. And let's refrain from ragging on other characters alright? We don't like it when it happens to characters we want, no reason to rub it in for those who have already been deconfirmed.

It's petty and easily returned to you in the event that Shantae/ >insert other character you support< doesn't make it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We don't want to collapse from a huge wave of salt. Just like what happened when people found out Waluigi was an assist trophy. Of course its better, but the initial reaction when it was first shown at last year E3.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Remember folks, she's doing well in fan polls which is great, but that's no guarantee of anything. And let's refrain from ragging on other characters alright? We don't like it when it happens to characters we want, no reason to rub it in for those who have already been deconfirmed.

It's petty and easily returned to you in the event that Shantae/ >insert other character you support< doesn't make it.
If you're nonchalantly referring to me, I was just expressing astonishment.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its pretty awesome Shantae is in the top 5, easily the highest ranking indie character. This doesnt mean nintendo will put her in of course, but woth this, the original offical ballot, and so much cries for her, she must be on their radar. Her being a spirit shows they know her, and maybe they just didnt have room for her in the base, but still wanted her in the base somehow.

Ill keep pushing for her till we are told she wont be in.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm mostly anticipating LM3 and Pokemon S&S.

And a non-existent F-Zero.
Luigis Mansion 3? Yeah want to see more of that. Pokemon i am really quite excited for.

If only we would get a new F-Zero. At thise point i just see us getting Nintendo kart with Falcon as one of the racers.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its a dumb 4chan text leak but I still think its brings up interesting ideas we've discussed before. http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/462409438#p462416290

WarioLand X Shantae. if this happened at E3 I'd scream. it'd finally give me an excuse to try out Warios games beyond Warioware.
Man there are a ton of people dissing shantae there...

I would love a new wario land game, and wayforward would be great at making it. Hell, doesn't even need shantae and it would be good

Dukefire

Smash Master
Man there are a ton of people dissing shantae there...

I would love a new wario land game, and wayforward would be great at making it. Hell, doesn't even need shantae and it would be good
The crossover does seem possible with Shantae's history with pirates and mystic treasures.

Edit: pretty much due to Shantae's constant growth after the push from her spirit appearence, the internet is getting another character to have an excuse to hate on.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The crossover does seem possible with Shantae's history with pirates and mystic treasures.

Edit: pretty much due to Shantae's constant growth after the push from her spirit appearence, the internet is getting another character to have an excuse to hate on.
One of my favorite responses was the one hyped for new Wario Land and then overly reacting negatively with a monkey's paw comment when Shantae is part of the "leak"

Dukefire

Smash Master
One of my favorite responses was the one hyped for new Wario Land and then overly reacting negatively with a monkey's paw comment when Shantae is part of the "leak"
Based on that, it seems that any leak with shantae now is bad.

Either trolls or ones that didn't played her game yet.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Doubt there is any truth to the leak, but it's neat that the idea of a Wario and Shantae crossover has some place outside of this thread.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Doubt there is any truth to the leak, but it's neat that the idea of a Wario and Shantae crossover has some place outside of this thread.
You know its possible someone from this thread made that 4chan post, or a 4chaner saw it and decided to put it on 4chan to see the reaction

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know its possible someone from this thread made that 4chan post, or a 4chaner saw it and decided to put it on 4chan to see the reaction
I guess, but I like to think that others have made the connection, especially after Cadence of Hyrule.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Man, we are living in weird times. I just learned that the newest Leisure Suit Larry game will be coming to the Switch. Never thought that would happen.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
A lot is happening with E3 coming closer each day.

So any news bomb will get many hyped until the main course has arrived. For now, appetizers are appearing to sustain the hype fire
2018120900433600-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

and possibly planting a worry seed.
1a7zwhjrnmgiq.png

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
A lot is happening with E3 coming closer each day.

So any news bomb will get many hyped until the main course has arrived. For now, appetizers are appearing to sustain the hype fire
View attachment 221526

and possibly planting a worry seed.
View attachment 221520
On thing I noticed is all of the internet talking about today being the tenth anniversary of Minecraft.

I don't know if that helps or hurts Steve. On one hand I could say "Well this would be the time to announce him in Smash if that were the case" but on the other hand, E3 may be close enough for them to time a reveal then and still consider it part of the tenth anniversary celebration.

Dukefire

Smash Master
On thing I noticed is all of the internet talking about today being the tenth anniversary of Minecraft.

I don't know if that helps or hurts Steve. On one hand I could say "Well this would be the time to announce him in Smash if that were the case" but on the other hand, E3 may be close enough for them to time a reveal then and still consider it part of the tenth anniversary celebration.
Keep in mind, with expectation on unknown levels. It could either end up as the greatest thing ever or the initial Waluigi Crisis and possibly other smashed hopes at last year's E3 for Smash Ultimate when that one wasn't a fighter.

I will recomend somewhat to emotionally prepare for the worst by tasting some salt early before the impact.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Man, we are living in weird times. I just learned that the newest Leisure Suit Larry game will be coming to the Switch. Never thought that would happen.
1558216476258.png

If you're nonchalantly referring to me, I was just expressing astonishment.
A few days late in replying, but I tend to post on habit at this point when I stuff like that given that it's been a problem in this thread in the past. Especially in regards to characters like SK and Steve as some people have beef with other people on other sites and then come here to express that frustration at times. Just a general comment. Partly in response to your post, but not necessarily directed towards you in specific.

Last edited:

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see Shantae in Smash but I don't think it will happen. Not in the Fighter Pass, at least.
NOW... IF we see more DLC after the Fighter Pass (a second season, perhaps?) then I could totally see her on that one.
But I think for the first Fighter Pass Nintendo is going to go for show-stoppers. Shantae isn't that, no matter how much any of us would like her to be.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
But what if she IS because they do the reveal right after showcasing a crossover with Wario?

HMMMMMM Cuphead.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would love to see Shantae in Smash but I don't think it will happen. Not in the Fighter Pass, at least.
NOW... IF we see more DLC after the Fighter Pass (a second season, perhaps?) then I could totally see her on that one.
But I think for the first Fighter Pass Nintendo is going to go for show-stoppers. Shantae isn't that, no matter how much any of us would like her to be.
Don't you think the shock value might wear a little bit if they pick nothing but AAA third party characters? Sakurai is nothing if not unpredictable.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
But what if she IS because they do the reveal right after showcasing a crossover with Wario?
THAT... might work. I'll give you that.

Don't you think the shock value might wear a little bit if they pick nothing but AAA third party characters? Sakurai is nothing if not unpredictable.
Didn't Nintendo execs have a bit more say in the Fighter Pass than normal? Like they pitched stuff to Sakurai and he picked the ones he liked? Something like that?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm posting this to get some discussion about these points brought up against Shantae.
Shantae hate 56.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
THAT... might work. I'll give you that.

Didn't Nintendo execs have a bit more say in the Fighter Pass than normal? Like they pitched stuff to Sakurai and he picked the ones he liked? Something like that?
Shantae is used to headline platforming and/or indie games on the 3DS/Wii U eshop categories at times, Half-Genie Hero Ultimate was covered in one of the earlier directs for the Switch, and on the Smash dev side they saw fit to not only give her series two spirits, but also a possible avatar for your Smash tag. I wouldn't say Shantae is invisible to any of those higher-ups.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Shantae is used to headline platforming and/or indie games on the 3DS/Wii U eshop categories at times, Half-Genie Hero Ultimate was covered in one of the earlier directs for the Switch, and on the Smash dev side they saw fit to not only give her series two spirits, but also a possible avatar for your Smash tag. I wouldn't say Shantae is invisible to any of those higher-ups.
Oh, yeah. They definitely know about her. I want to say that NoA has even put her on physical advertisements alongside 1st party characters. Like I said, I'd love to see her in Smash. I'm just not getting my hopes up. If we get a second Fighter Pass she's a shoo-in.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, anything is still possible since all are stabbing in the dark with no map.

Sakurai and Nintendo do want to keep everything a secret until the time is right to show. Like that unexpected news about Smash Ultimate Update 3.0 and Joker's layout of his moveset.

Plus, we got Shantae 5 (not official title) coming soon. So we have something to fill the gap in case things doesn't fall in the right place.
D2io5uLX0AA-zF9.jpg

Also, lets try to avoid being narrow-minded until the big news arrives for the new challenger(s).

Mod Edit: Second Image removed due to uncensored swearing. Please censor the words in the image first before posting.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Still have high hopes for Shantae in the future. As for the bashing, people can dislike a character all they want. It's when they attack someone for liking that certain character. Variety is a slice of life. We can like different things. You can really see someone's maturity with some of these comments.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I went to megacon recently guys and I got to see Cristina Vee! It was amazing to meet shantae in person!

Top Bottom