• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey Y'all :)
Shantae did really good again in the big fighter's ballot. Results came in.

The overall total votes (of the ballot) were 22,619 :b:
Shantae in the top 5 is awesome. People who say no one wants her and the only people who do just want her for the sex appeal couldnt be more wrong.
I'm still wondering if any Backer characters will reoccur in Shantae 5. I try to ask WF in Twitter threads that they're replying to comments in, and they never answer.

I know they see the question...
I myself havent be contacted about having slime gal be back in, but not sure if i have the rights to her or not. I qould love if she was back in though.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nothing much to say for now towards shantae, but Devil May Cry is coming to the Switch

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nothing much to say for now towards shantae, but Devil May Cry is coming to the Switch
At this point we have to ask what classic titles Capcom has left to port. Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins? Ultra Street Fighter IV? Viewtiful Joe?

And if Wayforward were to remake the first game, would they still need to give Capcom credit?
Shantae in the top 5 is awesome. People who say no one wants her and the only people who do just want her for the sex appeal couldnt be more wrong.

I myself havent be contacted about having slime gal be back in, but not sure if i have the rights to her or not. I qould love if she was back in though.
Her rank in this ballot has done nothing but steadily rise, even before news of Shantae 5 or some fighters being taken out of the equation here for better or worse.

I'd like to see a swamp version of Slimegal with added poison. The old version really wasn't very threatening... in the meantime I'll use some Floor Boos in Mario Maker 2 as stand-ins when making my version of Hypno Baron's Castle.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone go a gif of SHantae doing the swinging hip dance but sped up, any % of speeding up is fine.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone noticing something that severely sticks out between these two result pictures? Like a square peg in a round hole?

Smash Ultimate Fighter Ballot Results 1 and 2.png

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Anyone noticing something that severely sticks out between these two result pictures? Like a square peg in a round hole?

View attachment 217280
I'm guessing you mean Steve (despite the other differences as well) but I feel that's wonderful.

edit: though sorry if you don't mean Steve or anything by it at least, yesterday I just felt frustrated because people downplayed him as if the votes couldn't possibly be from people who like the idea of him in Smash.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm guessing you mean Steve (despite the other differences as well) but I feel that's wonderful.
It could be Sora riding on Kingdom Hearts III hype to reach number one. Or that they mispelled "Bandicoot". Or the notable thing for me, is that Monster Hunter managed to sneak in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It could be Sora riding on Kingdom Hearts III hype to reach number one. Or that they mispelled "Bandicoot". Or the notable thing for me, is that Monster Hunter managed to sneak in.
There's only one thing wrong, really. The Bandicot mispelling. Welp.

...Unless they mean the way that Banjo & Kazooie were spelled as well? Speaking of, I always forget if it's supposed to be spelled as Bandana Waddle Dee or Bandanna Waddle Dee. It makes no real difference, but still.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 217280
Yeah, Geno's #6 in the recent poll and he's #2 in the previous one. That's from people giving up on him because "oh sorry, the png image says no"

Also, Shantae and Crash moved up one spot and Sora's #1 instead of Banjo

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

edit: though sorry if you don't mean Steve or anything by it at least, yesterday I just felt frustrated because people downplayed him as if the votes couldn't possibly be from people who like the idea of him in Smash.
So Steve somehow shoots from not even being in the last results all the way to 4th? When literally nothing has happened for Minecraft that would significantly boost awareness for Steve, unlike Sora having KH3 and Shantae 5 being announced, etc.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So Steve somehow shoots from not even being in the last results all the way to 4th?
I think there’s two reasons why Steve rose:

1. Leakers. Like it or not, Steve (Minecraft more generally) has been a name dropped by leakers since last May when Verge started talking. This leads people to vote because it makes the genuine supporters feel safe since they have others claiming their character is in.
2. There’s a amount of people who don’t really want him but spend their time claiming they do just to annoy fans of other characters (mostly Banjo). Something tells me that helped contribute a fair bit of votes.

So in short, events that occurred between the previous poll and this one has caused a change in votes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So Steve somehow shoots from not even being in the last results all the way to 4th? When literally nothing has happened for Minecraft that would significantly boost awareness for Steve, unlike Sora having KH3 and Shantae 5 being announced, etc.
SneakyLink basically summed up why.

And while the trolls could have contributed as well, there are a lot of people who would like him in the game, or at least something from Minecraft but feel Steve may be the best for a playable character (plus the trolls are a minority, this poll only allowed one vote per account, and while yes the trolls could've wasted time making more accounts, that's adding more assumptions). Since more people would feel safer voicing support for him since others are (someone even told me I inspired them to be more vocal about Steve), he'll likely get into fan results now. I think he was even on some Reddit poll results either later last year or the beginning of this year.

And new announcements aren't really needed for a game with a community like Minecraft's, though there's Minecraft: Dungeons if you want something.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
SneakyLink basically summed up why.

And while the trolls could have contributed as well, there are a lot of people who would like him in the game, or at least something from Minecraft but feel Steve may be the best for a playable character (plus the trolls are a minority, this poll only allowed one vote per account, and while yes the trolls could've wasted time making more accounts, that's adding more assumptions). Since more people would feel safer voicing support for him since others are (someone even told me I inspired them to be more vocal about Steve), he'll likely get into fan results now. I think he was even on some Reddit poll results either later last year or the beginning of this year.

And new announcements aren't really needed for a game with a community like Minecraft's, though there's Minecraft: Dungeons if you want something.
I'd imagine it's more how generally chummy Microsoft has been with Nintendo lately. Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief and Steve are arguably the three biggest faces the former has under their belt currently.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not to say much, but some sort of evidence say that Steve might be announced for Smash Ultimate in 10 days.

I don't really believe it and its was possibly brought up due to E3 hype coming in a month.

Let the E3 speculation continue....

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I still don't really think Steve has a chance. His character model is too boring and his animations too basic and choppy. That isn't to say I think Minecraft as a whole will be left out.

Personally, if there is a Microsoft collaboration in the pipeline I think it would be Banjo/Kazooie as a fighter and Minecraft as a stage. Now it would be odd to get a fighter without a home stage, but they wouldn't be representing their selves as much as representing Microsoft as a whole.

Firstly, B&K have been in the running for ages with Sakurai even considering them way back when. Further, Microsoft has been paying a lot more attention to the Bear and Bird lately, showcasing their games in their stores and such after years of silence.

As for a Minecraft stage. I think it would represent the game much better than a fighter since Minecraft really is about the world. Thin about a stage with several preset layouts all with destructible environments and occasional mob attacks. There could be a few overworld layouts, a Nether layout, and Ender Layout, and then one made to look like Spiral Mountain to give B&K a pseudo home stage.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Not to say much, but some sort of evidence say that Steve might be announced for Smash Ultimate in 10 days.

I don't really believe it and its was possibly brought up due to E3 hype coming in a month.

My advice?

Speculating about DLC is a very dicey market, and a lot of people really want to be proven right. So unless a Ryu/Roy situation occurs this time around, where the update containing the fighters is cracked and modded into the game with video proof, I wouldn’t be waiting with baited breath (you may now face palm) for a piece of what may very well be fool’s gold.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

Literally everyone and their mother gets that hot new "leak" from someone who's probably been disproven a thousand times, then the popular Youtubers (or someone who managed to trip its crappy algorithm and force it into everyone's recommended feeds) report on it and act like it's the second coming of Sakurai just to get some free views, then it just gets popular among the masses.
I don't believe leaks further than I could toss 'em, honestly.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still don't really think Steve has a chance. His character model is too boring and his animations too basic and choppy. That isn't to say I think Minecraft as a whole will be left out.

Personally, if there is a Microsoft collaboration in the pipeline I think it would be Banjo/Kazooie as a fighter and Minecraft as a stage. Now it would be odd to get a fighter without a home stage, but they wouldn't be representing their selves as much as representing Microsoft as a whole.

Firstly, B&K have been in the running for ages with Sakurai even considering them way back when. Further, Microsoft has been paying a lot more attention to the Bear and Bird lately, showcasing their games in their stores and such after years of silence.

As for a Minecraft stage. I think it would represent the game much better than a fighter since Minecraft really is about the world. Thin about a stage with several preset layouts all with destructible environments and occasional mob attacks. There could be a few overworld layouts, a Nether layout, and Ender Layout, and then one made to look like Spiral Mountain to give B&K a pseudo home stage.
In my opinion Steve would look fine, his animations aren't really choppy and are actually somewhat smooth (minus the lack of a smooth transition into sneaking but still), just they're really simple. He can move his limbs in all directions, though (so Sakurai doesn't really have to restrict Steve's animations to the ones he has in Minecraft; I mean, he doesn't for other characters, not even Mr. G&W, he's just based on...er, the G&W, but he still has new poses/whatever), and the brighter colors on Minecraft's website could be a nice Smash design. They could also base his animations off of Minecraft: Dungeons' animations which allow bent limbs and expressions while still fitting the original style. This is all my opinion though, of course, and Sakurai could see it this way or the other way.

As for Banjo-Kazooie, I really think Nintendo and Sakurai would want to simply focus on the franchise than the company as a whole. I'd expect them to come with Spiral Mountain or another area from their games, as well as everything else being from them. I guess they could have music from other franchises as well as Spirits, but it'd be kinda weird, even more weird for the Spirits since it seems each DLC character gets their own Spirits page.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
This is going to be a long month ahead before reaching E3. Better to keep the fire going while waiting through the storm.

giphy.gif

Honestly, I'm going to not believe any leaks until E3 arrives. Also here is a shantae artwork for tonight.

Artist: Rcase
D5-1WRaUwAAfEDl.jpeg

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I'm guessing he decided that spirits deconfirm and WF/Matt Bozon hasn't spoken about shantae for a while on twitter. (Though we already know that WF has their hands full with 3 games they are developing. River City Girls, Shantae 5 (title still unclear) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.)
That literally has nothing to do with them not posting or retweeting content related to smash bros.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That literally has nothing to do with them not posting or retweeting content related to smash bros.
What do you want them to say? If they say something negative about her chances that will obviously hurt support. But if they imply anything positive, no matter how subtle or roundabout they go about it, then that could also hurt support with people resting on their laurels.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What do you want them to say? If they say something negative about her chances that will obviously hurt support. But if they imply anything positive, no matter how subtle or roundabout they go about it, then that could also hurt support with people resting on their laurels.
Sometimes, the best way to say is to not say anything or even not a lot.
Besides, does a company want to receive all the backlash from the fans if their character doesn't get into smash after all the talk?
1dt318809h5de.png

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
What do you want them to say? If they say something negative about her chances that will obviously hurt support.
That wasn't my point. Them not talking about or even retweeting stuff in regards to Shantae joining smash bros. has nothing to do with the development of the games they're working on.
But if they imply anything positive, no matter how subtle or roundabout they go about it, then that could also hurt support with people resting on their laurels.
Sometimes, the best way to say is to not say anything or even not a lot.
Besides, does a company want to receive all the backlash from the fans if their character doesn't get into smash after all the talk?
View attachment 217555
However, I will say that these specific points make absolutely no sense since, if this were the case, then Way forward wouldn't have even bothered asking for Shantae during the smash ballot, let alone even try to continue asking for support from fans after Shantae was revealed as a spirit. This, without a doubt, isn't a reason as to why they stopped posting smash related content.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you have to seriously overthink Wayforward's every move relating to Shantae in Smash, what does that have to say about one's willingness to stick by their support?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So Nintendo today revealed their plan for E3. Splatoon and Smash Tournament, and the direct will focus on games launching this year, maybe some portion dedicated to Indies like Shantae which is coming out this year?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Uhg, it's gonna be a long month waiting for any kind of news. But with that said E3 should be an exciting one since they have made us wait this long for news on Pokemon and the Fighter Pass.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Uhg, it's gonna be a long month waiting for any kind of news. But with that said E3 should be an exciting one since they have made us wait this long for news on Pokemon and the Fighter Pass.
I dunno, compared to all the other waiting we've done, 1 month while we know what's coming isn't that bad at all.
There could also be something before e3 too, so, i think there's enough to look for to keep us going ;p

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I dunno, compared to all the other waiting we've done, 1 month while we know what's coming isn't that bad at all.
There could also be something before e3 too, so, i think there's enough to look for to keep us going ;p
what is your animated sig from?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
These are the games that are likely to be covered in more depth: Pokemon Sword & Shield, Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening remake, those Dr. Mario and Mario Kart mobile games and Super Mario Maker 2. Then if the developers want to announce things during the direct, we may hear about Bayonetta 3, Astral Chains and Shantae 5, if they don't announce them of their own accord. Fire Emblem: The Three Houses has already been covered fairly in-depth so I think it'll mainly be seen at the Treehouse.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For one, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is coming days after E3 is over and we have seen proof.

Plus, WF and other companies might surprise us with some breadcrumbs before getting to the good stuff.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Japanese artists at it again:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Why is she so glittery here? Maybe she had a run-in with... the legendary, up-until now unseen Sultana.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Japanese artists at it again:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Why is she so glittery here? Maybe she had a run-in with... the legendary, up-until now unseen Sultana.

Guess Shantae has been traveling to more places during her off time while waiting for 5 (not official yet) to be announced of its content and arrival.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Guess Shantae has been traveling to more places during her off time while waiting for 5 (not official yet) to be announced of its content and arrival.
In the Puyo Puyo universe, world and dimension-hopping are fairly common occurrences. I'd imagine it's more likely they'd wind up visiting Sequin Land first before the other way around happens. This Sultana is actually magically bound to the amethyst headdress she carries around, so Shantae could stumble upon her sealed within it, not unlike a genie in it's lamp.

Though, getting serious for a second, what are the chances we could see the actual Shantae Sultana in 5? The whole Royal Palace felt weirdly phased out of existence during Half-Genie Hero...

Top Bottom