• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Welp.
It's official: Link will make an appearance in Shantae 5.

Edit: (I'd better flat-out mention that this is sarcasm. I feel like it'll be taken seriously.)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Link is coo. So is Linkle :D
I just hope in the future they give her a lot more lore and places in games. I'm not sure linkle was the best name for her, but it's not bad to see her as link's female counterpart i guess.

Shantae is cooler tho ;p

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The game was based on Miyamoto playing in the woods, but he didn't base link on himself. Peter pan maybe, but they always said Link was a blank slate. I don't see why they couldn't have him be female 1 game. every link is a different link, not like Mario or samus. Just relax man, we are saying we would like to see it, but not going to get mad or angry if we don't
The thing is Nintendo already said something about making female Link "Then what would Zelda do?" Link is as much as blank state as any silent protagonist. But in games like Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild they gave him expression that you don't see before. Trust me when I say that gender bending is never a good thing. Not even for one game. The creation of Linkle was a compromise but that is as much as Nintendo would allow. Also guys remember the struggles that Mr and Mrs Bozon had to do to make the first Shantae game? Remember that they themselves were asked to change Shantae's gender to that of a boy. Unless you are willing to ask Mr and Mrs Bozon to make Shantae a boy for just ONE game then do not ask Nintendo to make an established character like Link a female. You can make fanart as much as you want but that is as far as this should go.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here is an art piece I found.

And I definitely think Nintendo has noticed all of the buzz the idea of a female Link has caused.
Actually, are we certain the art was an accident? Or did the artist just want to draw a cute girl cosplaying as Link? Because otherwise I don't see where the idea Link's hair was red came from.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Actually, are we certain the art was an accident? Or did the artist just want to draw a cute girl cosplaying as Link? Because otherwise I don't see where the idea Link's hair was red came from.
I mean, 8 bit Link's hair could be interpreted as that color in his sprite work.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I came across a funny hyptohetical on the internet:

"The villain of the last game you've played is now DLC pack #2 for Ultimate. How do you react?"

Let's all just for the sake of discussion act as if a Shantae game was the last one we played...that means Risky and ONLY Risky gets in the Fighter Pass and NO Shantae.

dear god imagine the fanart of Risky taking schadenfreude glee at Shantae's confusion and despair.
Conflicted. I'd be glad the heroes first and only echoes for second character of a third-party "rules" are both broken, yet puzzled as to why Shantae wouldn't be the more obvious choice (besides maybe an affinity for villains with Doronjo-type personalities, I wouldn't put that past them).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The NES can do red. Mario is red and so was Toadstool's hair. Link's was brown if anything.
Well, this is the perspective of an artist back then who might not have played those other games. And even so, I think things like Captain N have proven that the interpretation of 8 bit character can cause some strange changes that don't look too logical from the outside.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The NES can do red. Mario is red and so was Toadstool's hair. Link's was brown if anything.
This was the 80s
Tv's were so crap that Mega Man appeared green to the Captain N team.

Or at least, that was their excuse.

Imagine how they'd butcher Shantae if she appeared on that show

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The worst thing though, is what they did to Alucard...
Not just him. They seemed to have some kind of vendetta against Castlevania and set out to make everything from it look as stupid as possible. Ironic considering you'd think it to be one of the easiest series to understand for a non-gamer... their research into Metroid also apparently stopped at Mother Brain.

How well do you all think the female designs of Shantae would fit into Mario, ESRB-wise? Some digging in the latter may make it look smoother than it seems at first...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not just him. They seemed to have some kind of vendetta against Castlevania and set out to make everything from it look as stupid as possible. Ironic considering you'd think it to be one of the easiest series to understand for a non-gamer... their research into Metroid also apparently stopped at Mother Brain.

How well do you all think the female designs of Shantae would fit into Mario, ESRB-wise? Some digging in the latter may make it look smoother than it seems at first...
Captain N was proof executives mandating how cartoons should be made need to be Ol' Yellered.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Nintendo will not and never will allow Link to become female. Link is once again based on both Mr. Miyamoto himself adventures as a kid and Peter Pan. Both male and both not girls. You want female characters? Then look elsewhere because there are plenty of them.
Oh, I didn't know you work for Nintendo.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Given how reveal trailers work, we know whatever characters get featured together in them get paired up in some way in fanart for basically forever. Who would you want in a Shantae reveal?

DK and Diddy eating bananas with Monkey Shantae

Bayonetta, Samus and Shantae as whip trio.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This was the 80s
Tv's were so crap that Mega Man appeared green to the Captain N team.

Or at least, that was their excuse.

Imagine how they'd butcher Shantae if she appeared on that show
Thinking over my hypothetical scenario some more, most likley she'd be potrayed as a three wishes kind of genie but is too litteral or, if they were the least bit clever, because she's a half genie, only grants wishes halfway.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Given how reveal trailers work, we know whatever characters get featured together in them get paired up in some way in fanart for basically forever. Who would you want in a Shantae reveal?

DK and Diddy eating bananas with Monkey Shantae

Bayonetta, Samus and Shantae as whip trio.
I would definitely want Bayonetta to appear in it, at least. I mean, they both have magic hair, they can both transform into animals... oh, and they both dance. :p

D

Deleted member

I'd like to see Samus and Simon in a Shantae trailer of she ever got revealed for it. You know why.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe Shantae could show up alongside Mega Man and Ryu. She was originally published by Capcom, so it would be a neat reunion.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
id like to see some character interactions with her transformations.
Diddy and Monkey,
Falco and Harpy
Bowser and Elephant. (could be any of the big bois really)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae messing with :ultwario: in monkey form for a minute, before transforming.

And yet Bayou Billy was portrayed more faithfully. Which, given the country both his game and DiC were based on/related to, isn't too surprising...

That being said, we do got Pauline keeping her cleavage and Peach has worn some swim wear, so I think it'd be fine as long as the Giga Mermaid is a no-show. For reference, Odyssey is E10+.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lets see
Samus and Simon- the core of metroidvania and Castlevania style of gaming.
Bayonetta- both use their hair and loves Dancing. Except of stripping her clothes when using it to summon demons.
Megaman and Ryu- where Shantae started with Nintendo

Seem good on some crossovers.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae messing with :ultwario: in monkey form for a minute, before transforming.

And yet Bayou Billy was portrayed more faithfully. Which, given the country both his game and DiC were based on/related to, isn't too surprising...

That being said, we do got Pauline keeping her cleavage and Peach has worn some swim wear, so I think it'd be fine as long as the Giga Mermaid is a no-show. For reference, Odyssey is E10+.
Valentina from SMRPG, Queen Bean from Superstar Saga, a lot of what the princesses do in the Striker games, and chest cannon Valkyries from Mario + Rabbids are all notable examples. But the real standout is this:

She has the same "featureless breasts are okay" seen on mermaids.

As for reveal trailer ideas, I have a few:

• War At Sea: A naval battle between K. Rool, Toon Link... and Risky Boots. This ties into the end of Jammies and would be great as a double reveal. Would end with Ridley and his space pirates trying to obliterate them all... or Dark Samus combing the depths of the sea for the magic lamp.
  • Retro: Nintendo characters with notable appearances on the Game Boy (such as Wario, Daisy and Pokemon Trainer) show up at Shantae's doorstep with everything being in the style of the era, much like Duck Hunt.
  • Spirit Awakening: Acknowledge her current status as a spirit by showing her reclaiming her body, with at the very least Zero Suit Samus and possibly also Zelda and Bayonetta helping to accomplish this.
  • Bait-and-Switch: Pretend to start talking about the next Shantae game before seguing into a reveal, as Joker did.
  • Mysterious Helper: Shantae assists various Nintendo characters in various situations with her animal forms (such as Diddy with monkey or Pit with Harpy), but always just barely off-screen and disappearing before being fully seen until the reveal.

Also speaking of Capcom, it's actually Firebrand from Demon's Crest that shares the most in common with Shantae. Almost all of his crest forms grant very similar abilities to Shantae's: Crest of Earth lets him charge obstacles to break them but otherwise limits his mobility (Elephant), Crest of Air lets him fly freely (Harpy), Crest of Water lets him swim underwater and shoot bubbly breath (Mermaid), and the secret Crest of Heaven grants many abilities at once (Tinkerbat). And his base form has the most diverse attacks while also seen using fire the most.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
While its nothing much, but another game has arrived for the switch and it is Overwhelming.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
id like to see some character interactions with her transformations.
Diddy and Monkey,
Falco and Harpy
Bowser and Elephant. (could be any of the big bois really)
It's not official, but in Shantae's reveal trailer for the fan game Smash Crusade, Elephant Shantae interacts with Bowser. Here is the clip:

zferolie

Smash Hero
A newish video about a fans favorite shantae music, and i must say its a great choice

if shantae gets in, Crackle tower is a must.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A newish video about a fans favorite shantae music, and i must say its a great choice

if shantae gets in, Crackle tower is a must.

Pirate's Curse music is almost cheating due to how much of it is remixes of the first game. At least it helps soothe representation fanatics...

I see three versions of Burning Town (We Love, Neo and a brand new one), a Pirate's Curse medley of it's title screen, file select and sailing themes and Dance Through The Danger. The rest will likely depend on which spirits are included (mermaid gets Mermaid Falls, Hypno Baron gets his castle theme etc.).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just finished my second Shantae game!
I started a few months ago with Pirate's Curse (which was on sale), and I enjoyed it heavily. The characterization and humor in particular.

That said, half genie hero was much better- not at all difficult, easy to make easier, but the transformations made the game something I cannot believe was removed from any entry (Pirate's Curse). I would be happy to see her in the game- who doesn't want to turn into animals?

Easy moveset potential. Fun and comical. Maybe her next game will be an RPG and she will get a shot at Smash.
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultlink::ultjigglypuff:
:ultike::ultgreninja::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ulttoonlink::ultshulk:
:ultchrom::ultroy::ultrobinf::ultrobin::ultcharizard::ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultyounglink::ultzelda:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just finished my second Shantae game!
I started a few months ago with Pirate's Curse (which was on sale), and I enjoyed it heavily. The characterization and humor in particular.

That said, half genie hero was much better- not at all difficult, easy to make easier, but the transformations made the game something I cannot believe was removed from any entry (Pirate's Curse). I would be happy to see her in the game- who doesn't want to turn into animals?

Easy moveset potential. Fun and comical. Maybe her next game will be an RPG and she will get a shot at Smash.
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultlink::ultjigglypuff:
:ultike::ultgreninja::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ulttoonlink::ultshulk:
:ultchrom::ultroy::ultrobinf::ultrobin::ultcharizard::ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultyounglink::ultzelda:
That's a bit of a contentious statement. No one will argue that magic transformations make Shantae who she is, but many people prefer how she controls in Pirate's Curse. It's nothing to do with the gear itself (after all it works just as well if not better in Risky's hands), but how it's used: not having to stop and change every time an obstacle is in your path undoubtedly feels better to many.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's a bit of a contentious statement. No one will argue that magic transformations make Shantae who she is, but many people prefer how she controls in Pirate's Curse. It's nothing to do with the gear itself (after all it works just as well if not better in Risky's hands), but how it's used: not having to stop and change every time an obstacle is in your path undoubtedly feels better to many.
For a series that, at the time of Pirate's Curse, only had three entries- yes, I find it odd that they would remove the key characterization.

Both were fun, I'm not knocking PIrate's Curse. If the theme of transforming were to continue (becoming different caricatures and utilizing those properties to platform), it would make more sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For a series that, at the time of Pirate's Curse, only had three entries- yes, I find it odd that they would remove the key characterization.

Both were fun, I'm not knocking PIrate's Curse. If the theme of transforming were to continue (becoming different caricatures and utilizing those properties to platform), it would make more sense.
WF originally wanted RR to be the first part of an episodic Shantae installment (ala Final Fantasy IV: The After Years), so it would have felt less odd if PC was still a part of that plan.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Oof.

Addressing the rule 63 Link and Linkle thing.

First off, the reddish hair is likely just the artist's interpretation based on the little they had to go off, that being the sprite. However, Link's hair did start off darker with some early art depicting him with light brown or at least very dark blonde hair (might even look orange to some in certain pieces.)

Second, Linkle is not a Link. Originally TN wanted to have a female Link but this was scrapped. Eventually they decided on changing up the design and having her be a new character to serve as a little sister to Link, but that was scrapped too as Aonuma shot it down (because apparently Aryll is the only sister any of the Link's are allowed to have.)

While neither concept made it into vanilla Warriors, concept art of female Link and HW Link's little sister made it into the artbook. The idea was a hit with Japanese fans so they revisited and tweaked the little sister design and changed her backstory to finally have her included in Legends. The change in her story being the main point here.

She's not Link or his sister, nor does she have any real relation to him. She just thinks she's the hero of legend. Why? Your guess is as good as mine, but the real reason is so that she'd have a reason to set out and get involved with the events of the game.

She's a very confused Cucco farmer, who at the very least can at least back up her delusions with the fact that she's got crossbows and impressive combat skills. (Learned from dealing with hordes of angry Cuccos I'm sure.)

Will she ever appear in a canon game? If Aonuma feels like it, that's a definite maybe. Not counting on it anytime soon though.

Now, in regards to an actual female incarnation of Link. Also a maybe. Not counting on it anytime soon, but it's technically not impossible lore wise, and what's canon hardly matters if the cluster >insert profanity< of a timeline is anything to go by. If they ever decide they want to, they will.

Sorry for going so off topic and bringing that back up, but those are my two cents.

Anyway how's everybody doing. Also loving the surge of Shantae art thanks to the announcement of 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom