• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man what a time to be alive. The Sony "Direct" was an epic failure(as usual when they try and copy Nintendo) and then it was overshadowed by SHANTAE 5!!!!!
WayForward really knows how to lift our spirits in our time of need.

EDIT: Sony's "State of Play" was so bad that it made "Nintendo Direct" trending on twitter lol.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seems different, but not enough that im sure myself about it being shantae 5. (and like the eyes dont look like the new design)
If that's it, I was kinda hoping for a bit more different, but so long as the gameplay is fun that's goo enough :p like if they make it back more metroidvania.

Also, I liked finding this pic of shantae designs next to each other:
Her waist gets wider in every game, along with her ears getting more horizontal.
I get the feeling this thread’s gonna get more traffic with this news.

The more story ideas get speculated, the more material I have for my Shantae animated seri-I mean the more hype we get to see what WayForward has in store! Right!
Wonder if this early clip being in what looks to be a dark forest points to the zombie road trip suggested by Rottytops?
Shantae 5 has me pumped, like, surprisingly so haha! Maybe because we didn't expect it at all. And it's coming later this year already? Damn, the end of the year is going to be packed.

I really like Shantae's artwork in the announcement, but the gameplay clip seems to mix HGH (Shantae's model) and Pirate's Curse (the background). Hopefully that'll end up becoming a great gaming experience, even though it does look a bit same-y at glance.
The level geometry is fully 2D unlike Half-Genie Hero's 3D. Maybe making sprawling levels is easier that way?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, this could get pretty exciting... I mean, if the DLC fighters start showing a trend of all being from games Nintendo wants to promote... Well, you know where I'm going with this. Also, Shantae "5" and Ultimate is Smash "5" not evidence just a nice little coincidence.

I'm just hoping WF can team with someone to get a physical release, ideally with a bunch of nice do-dads like the Day One Edition.

Also what a perfect time for them to finally make a Shantae amiibo!
On that note, I wonder who it'll be this time, Yacht Club Games? Or XSEED again.

Also, I can't tell if they went back to pixels or not, 2.5D like Ducktales and HGH can't be afforded to immediately do a second time in a row without enough funds. A Wario Land: Shake It! approach would seem like a good compromise.

Also, I do wonder if WF's flying solo for this one, since Inti Creates collaborated with them for the previous two games.

Here's hoping we get more of an original story like in Pirate's Curse. I loved Half Genie Hero but I was not a fan of them going back to the Risky's doing something evil again plot.
Since they're numbering entries now, it'll be tough to go back to "a day in the life of Shantae" again unless they go the :ultmegaman: route.

Amazed this didnt really get leaked.
I mean, most leakers have basically given up. And LaxChris is a broken clock that's right twice a day at best, so watch as he goes "called it!".

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What rumor? where did you hear that?
Ever since the leak thread became another social it's been hard to keep track but most of the leaks with some credibility attatched have something along those lines.

Although the ones that say it outright are usually fake. You know things like "Because Nintendo made the list, only relevant characters are in so give up Banjo Kazooie you NERRRRRDS."

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
And the brief in-universe fat jokes towards Sky will actually make sense, if this reflects towards the other ladies. I am okay with this, please don't judge me.
Sky is just curvy (to me). I'm wondering if they'll finally age Shantae up a bit this time around. I mean, it most certainly would not nullify bogus excuses to hate the character, but at least it would fill in that "too young for that kind of outfit/dancing" (etc) void that some people tend to feel toward her.

I personally don't give a Wrench about her being 16.

~And now for the anticipation of some more Jake Kaufman dopamine~

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sky is just curvy (to me). I'm wondering if they'll finally age Shantae up a bit this time around. I mean, it most certainly would not nullify bogus excuses to hate the character, but at least it would fill in that "too young for that kind of outfit/dancing" (etc) void that some people tend to feel toward her.

I personally don't give a Wrench about her being 16.

~And now for the anticipation of some more Jake Kaufman dopamine~
Wasn't Shantae altered design-wise RR onwards so she can seem a bit "younger" than Risky? Not that anyone really knows how old Risky is, for all we know she may actually have been given the ability to stop aging by the time she knew of Shantae's mom...

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Just heard the news... OMG I'm so happy !!!! Can't wait to see where it goes, to hear the new songs/remix, story, gameplay.... I bet this one is gonna be the biggest Shantae game to date ! ^_^

Dukefire

Smash Master
Aside with the jokes, if shantae wants to enter Smash Bros as DLC, she is gonna have to get permission from the man himself.
Screenshot_20190326-104344_YouTube.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About dragon transformation possibilities, would she be a Western one or an Asian one? Or a mix of both like in D&D?

It's interesting that both smash and shantae started around the same time (well 2-3 years apart), and shantae kinda caught up in a way, since 5's gonna release only 1 year later this time.

Both are like.. brother and sister. they deserve to be together XD
Another interesting coincidence...next game is coming out the same year as Dumbo's remake, and the elephant form is likely to come back. And the Aladdin remake is coming out this year. Wouldn't be shocked if some folks decided to draw Shantae and Will Smith!Genie crossing over.

My god this thread is turning into DeviantArt in text form.
Isn't being a bit big kind of an acceptable thing in Middle Eastern culture? Besides, it's not like someone's asking for her to turn into a literal whale.

Granted, she turned into a blobfish once but that's besides the point.

This thread is much saner than the Ultimate general, I'll say this much.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shantae is more of a character than Steve.

Really, you're voting for Minecraft itself rather than Steve.

Shantae has both but isn't as well known.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You guys see the news/rumors about Banjo in smash? Billy made a video on it.

been wanting him for a long time, and if he gets in, one of the main arguments against shantae(no western made character/series has been in smash yet) is destroyed, helping her chances

osby

Smash Obsessed
You guys see the news/rumors about Banjo in smash? Billy made a video on it.

been wanting him for a long time, and if he gets in, one of the main arguments against shantae(no western made character/series has been in smash yet) is destroyed, helping her chances
But there is already Shantae content in Smash.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
The thread really did spring back to life in one night, exciting times. I'll say this does bring back hope for some people, that's for sure!
I personally would love a return to form with another Metroidvania like game, but how do others feel about that?
Regardless how they go about it, it's still gonna be a great game cause WayForward know what they're doing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
OK A fighter is to be more specific.
Best case scenario would be both of them, but until further notice it's a pipe dream. Though it's so close that you could almost taste it.

The thread really did spring back to life in one night, exciting times. I'll say this does bring back hope for some people, that's for sure!
I personally would love a return to form with another Metroidvania like game, but how do others feel about that?
Regardless how they go about it, it's still gonna be a great game cause WayForward know what they're doing.
Of course! Inti Creates seems to be busy at the moment, so it seems like the best time for WF to prove they can do a Shantae game by themselves again. The Mummy Demastered is enough evidence for that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Unrelated, but I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and this song from it just to me fits Shantae's desire and determination to get into Smash, and this new game is that boost to send her even closer to her goal.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Unrelated, but I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and this song from it just to me fits Shantae's desire and determination to get into Smash, and this new game is that boost to send her even closer to her goal.
Reminds me how I made my avatar character for this game Shantae.

Dukefire

Smash Master
This smash idea was made by Sebastian on twitter for Shantae's version in her 5 games
D2jXdBIUgAEe6bU.jpeg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Cristina Vee being an option was the reason I even thought of the idea.
Fair enough.

Also I really wish this song was in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
no Xenoblade X music in Smash is a ****** shame.
Damn it Takahashi, why didn't he say that the game was a spin-off or midquel, now the Smash staff is confused as to how to represent it.

Anyway, what are the chances that voice acting will be used once again for Shantae 5 (which I am currently convinced is the final title)?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Damn it Takahashi, why didn't he say that the game was a spin-off or midquel, now the Smash staff is confused as to how to represent it.

Anyway, what are the chances that voice acting will be used once again for Shantae 5 (which I am currently convinced is the final title)?
First, I doubt the final title will be 5. I'm sure they just don't want to give away any plot points yet.

And I'm sure they will have voice acting again at least for Christina. They know how much the fans love her.

Top Bottom