• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
A reminder: Sakurai and the Smash Team are making sure that no major official information doesn't leak out since Smash 4. So, its hard to tell if what nintendo did was a small hint or not from the sealed vault of Ultimate's upcoming content.
Has to be an error. Examine the photo closely...
C108DF85-B99B-40F7-B7C0-E0F41623D638.png

It’s Smash Wii U. Not Ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now after playing some Crypt Of The Necrodancer, anyone imagine how Shantae could play in it? Her human form would play normally, but she could transform into a monkey for double-time movement or an elephant that moves every other beat but can charge for big damage and destroy tough obstacles.

Again I say that the image in of itself means nothing, because Kirby has nothing to do with indies as far as we know. Only the need for it in the first place possibly hints something, but not necessarily Smash. Could be an alternative show-stopper indie game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._features_the_work_of_two_sonic_mania_artists

Well, no wonder it looks so good. I wonder how spread out indie devs are, when it comes to outsourcing talent.

9 days to go at minimum on that front
10, your math's a little off. :redface:

From what I gathered, the image was actually from the Sm4sh days.
Has to be an error. Examine the photo closely...
View attachment 199949
It’s Smash Wii U. Not Ultimate.
Which makes even less sense.

5b2.gif

As far as I've seen, Sakurai is the most likely person to use Kirby in marketing material for Smash (besides the box art illustrators and that banner ad, though he likely approves those anyway). If the Nindies did this by mistake, it's the biggest coincidence in the world. And I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have access to UItimate, since that has KDL64 too.

and the question is........what Indie Character did Nintendo choose if they selected one from the bunch?

Could it be a veteran that stayed in the competition for a while or could it be new blood getting in as a start? Guess we will find out soon in April with Version 3.0 arriving.
That's the 2000$ question there. It could be anyone. I wouldn't be too shocked if it was even the likes of a character whose game isn't out yet, like Brick or Esmyrelda.

You know, there's something that occurred to me earlier; since Cadence can offer the potential of rhythm-based gameplay in Smash, would the Rhythm Heaven fans feel worried about "getting snubbed" in that area?

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
since Cadence can offer the potential of rhythm-based gameplay in Smash, would the Rhythm Heaven fans feel worried about "getting snubbed" in that area?
Only if they'd use the famous Fan-Rule of Deconfirmations: If the Chorus Kids are only a Spirit, you're all delusional [insert tons of curse words/threats/name-calling] for thinking Cadence has a chance.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Spirits debate is going to stay for a while until Sakurai and the Smash Team said Spirit characters can be characters or not. Of course, either one will have salt to follow shortly afterwards.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
The Spirits debate is going to stay for a while until Sakurai and the Smash Team said Spirit characters can be characters or not. Of course, either one will have salt to follow shortly afterwards.
Of course. Those are just more Smash Rules.
Unsssstable Welp.gif

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When the only rule is “must be a video game character”
Sadly, Electrichu has trouble understanding that…

Shantae can do what she wants 'cause a pirate is free.
Okay, except that this career only lasted for like one game.

If it were Shantae to break that boundary, I wouldn't care what any doubter thinks at that point. They're not gods.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae gets announced first thing during Nintendo's E3 Direct how you react?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It really is weird... Like if they hadn't announced that the Direct would be 30 no one would have batted an eye to it. the only non conspiracy-ish rationale would be that maybe one of the indie devs who were announcing theirs games just before the direct (Like with How Castle Crashers was announed like the day before) were supposed to wait for the direct but since they went early Nintendo decided to cut it from the presentation.

I honestly can't think of any non-tin foily reasons...

And even it it was because an already announced game was cut from the presentation, why would they fill the time with an image from smash?!?!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It really is weird... Like if they hadn't announced that the Direct would be 30 no one would have batted an eye to it. the only non conspiracy-ish rationale would be that maybe one of the indie devs who were announcing theirs games just before the direct (Like with How Castle Crashers was announed like the day before) were supposed to wait for the direct but since they went early Nintendo decided to cut it from the presentation.

And even it it was because an already announced game was cut from the presentation, why would they fill the time with an image from smash?!?!
Someone said it was a smash 4 image. i dunno if that's true i didnt look more, but it could really just be that they cut something out and maybe they'd used a direct during the smash 4 era as a model for editing or something and accidentally had a frame from it at the end.

I mean, it doesn't look like something intentional. If it was, it could just be a small nod to say they havent forgotten about smash. I think it's more likely the former tho.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Personally, the only non-Smash thing I could see this ''missing segment'' being is an honest-to-goodness Shantae game, seeing as how pretty much every comparable indie has been announced/released already and don't look to be getting sequels any time soon. Shantae has been covered outside of Nindies and is the most ripe for a new announcement. Anything less would probably have been announced very quickly before or after the showcase.

Edit: It could also be a second Nintendo-indie crossover.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Heres a thing Ive said and hardly ever given a real answer..why is it despite people likely having asked again and again WF have never said "We'd like Shantae to get in" showing she aint and they aint under NDA or "She's not in" or something along those lines when asked?

Dukefire

Smash Master
do one project at a time, doing more then once could end up with........................unexpected results.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, one thing for sure is, Shantae being a no-show at the Nindies confirms my theory that WF's hands are tied until they're finished helping with Bloodstained.

In other news, Microsoft's heart grew three sizes recently: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...io_behind_cuphead_to_bring_the_game_to_switch
Yeah, well, I could say it confirms MY theory that Shantae's too big to be revealed as a standard indie. Neither statement is more true than the other at this point.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
OK, guys... I think I've figured it out. Here is how the direct was supposed to end...

Final announcement black screen. Fade in on gameplay of Smash Bros, Kirbay taking on computer players and winning... But why is it Smash 4 footage? Who would be playing 4 instead of Ultimate. Zoom our from the screen and you see a tv connected to a Wii U in some kind of wooden room out the window you can see a coast line. Zoom out further to see a purple haired girl holding the Wii U gamepad saying "Well maybe next time" when terrible sounds are heard from outside to which our hero quips "Sounds like Risky is up to her old tricks" before exiting her lighthouse. But once outside we see Risky's canons firing at mysterious flying gloves, only for the gloves to shed away and turn into living beams of light. Shantae springs to action only for a beam to engulf Risky and her ship. Shantae fights, using her many transformations to dodge light beams until she is finally struck. Her body obliterated she floats around as a spirit, watching the chaos continue "This can't be it" we hear her thoughts "I have to fight to save my friends. To save the world" it is then that a tiny glint of light is seen from the sky, as it descends it is seen to be an envelope fluttering down. Shantae's spirit sees it and feels drawn to it "What is that? can it help?" through sheer will the spirit take on something like the form of an arm reaching out until it grabs the envelope and suddenly the scene is washed away by a flash of light. When it fades our hero is complete again she looks down at destruction around her, then down at the envelope "I know where you are and I am RET-2_GO!"

Think about it, guys... it's the only thing that makes sense... I mean, because it was smash 4 footage and all...The stores won't sell any more foil to me...

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Man, as much as I wish the last 5 mins were cut because Shantae for Smash would be so amazing and overshadow the other indie titles, I just gotta hold back.
It's a bit odd that they said "roughly 30 mins" and it ends up being like what, 26 mins? I just highly doubt it had anything to do with Shantae.
But never give up, because I really truly believe that Shantae in Smash is not a "what if", but a "when". I just hope others here haven't given up hope for the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing that would make sense to me is a montage of Kirby going through a montage of every mainline platform appearance he's had over the years, eventually ending with Ultimate, and that they messed up by showing the Smash 4 portion too early. And even then I have no idea why that would be done besides foreshadowing somebody, or Sakurai being Sakurai.

Otherwise, it's a Nintendo staffer that's so out of touch with modern times that they still think it's 2015...

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

Maybe it was just to troll Smash fans. Remember the last Nindies? All throughout the presentation people were commenting "where's Smash?" This could honestly just be them saying "and for everyone who's waiting for smash info in the Nindies here's some smash".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe it was just to troll Smash fans. Remember the last Nindies? All throughout the presentation people were commenting "where's Smash?" This could honestly just be them saying "and for everyone who's waiting for smash info in the Nindies here's some smash".
I don't see what they would gain from doing that, after people already got pissed by the "One more thing" stunt that was pulled with Into the Breach. Most Smash fans would stop expecting new details in Nindies after that (I sure didn't expect any).

Furthermore, this current incident only happened on Twitch, if they wanted to troll people, why not do it on all streaming platforms?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
OK, guys... I think I've figured it out. Here is how the direct was supposed to end...

Final announcement black screen. Fade in on gameplay of Smash Bros, Kirbay taking on computer players and winning... But why is it Smash 4 footage? Who would be playing 4 instead of Ultimate. Zoom our from the screen and you see a tv connected to a Wii U in some kind of wooden room out the window you can see a coast line. Zoom out further to see a purple haired girl holding the Wii U gamepad saying "Well maybe next time" when terrible sounds are heard from outside to which our hero quips "Sounds like Risky is up to her old tricks" before exiting her lighthouse. But once outside we see Risky's canons firing at mysterious flying gloves, only for the gloves to shed away and turn into living beams of light. Shantae springs to action only for a beam to engulf Risky and her ship. Shantae fights, using her many transformations to dodge light beams until she is finally struck. Her body obliterated she floats around as a spirit, watching the chaos continue "This can't be it" we hear her thoughts "I have to fight to save my friends. To save the world" it is then that a tiny glint of light is seen from the sky, as it descends it is seen to be an envelope fluttering down. Shantae's spirit sees it and feels drawn to it "What is that? can it help?" through sheer will the spirit take on something like the form of an arm reaching out until it grabs the envelope and suddenly the scene is washed away by a flash of light. When it fades our hero is complete again she looks down at destruction around her, then down at the envelope "I know where you are and I am RET-2_GO!"

Think about it, guys... it's the only thing that makes sense... I mean, because it was smash 4 footage and all...The stores won't sell any more foil to me...
Think man. Why do fighters not turn into spirits when vaporized unlike the rest? They have trophy bodies. Therefore Shantae must find one to complete her transformation. Plus, you do have to acknowledge she currently has a spirit battle. Maybe show it from her perspective like the start of Ken's reveal?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So we are getting Persona 5 R on march 23rd in japan, which may or may not answer some joker datamine questions, like that Ponytail data found in the code

zferolie

Smash Hero
There was a "Jack" costume found in the code that was called "Jane" and had pony tail physics attached to it.
Basically suggesting a female version of Joker, but the games never gave a female version, so people are thinking R will have that option

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So we are getting Persona 5 R on march 23rd in japan, which may or may not answer some joker datamine questions, like that Ponytail data found in the code
Just to be clearer, we potentially will get info 'about' Persona 5 R :p
How much info, that we dont really know. There's Sega FES at the end of the month that'll have persona info too.

I'm really curious what they'll show tomorow tho.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just to be clearer, we potentially will get info 'about' Persona 5 R :p
How much info, that we dont really know. There's Sega FES at the end of the month that'll have persona info too.

I'm really curious what they'll show tomorow tho.
I think at least we'll get a trailer, maybe teasing/showing some announcments they'll go into more detail later at Sega fes

Top Bottom