• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...er_yacht_club_games_is_publishing_a_new_title

F I N A L L Y

It's good to know what's next for YCG.

6) Tails. Not a big Sonic fan, but I did always like Tails and he dose kind of deserve it if Ryu gets Ken. Plus anything is better than Shadow.
13) Master Higgins. Does anyone else even remember Adventure Island? I do and I'd love this chubby caveman to get in, but he won't
With any luck, we can post in Higgins' thread with DaxMasterix DaxMasterix sometime, that'd be a start. At least AI2 and its GB port is still on the 3DS e-shop at the moment.

Also, hard agree on Tails. Some people say the Grinch leak was perfect, but Shadow isn't exactly the optimal choice for the second Sonic character.

Both Nintendo and Wayforward probably see no reason to fix what isn't broke. All the latter could really use is funds.
Exactly. And when not being busy with their IPs, WF could even help co-develop some Mario stuff in the meantime.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Beware friend, that although having limited means can prevent our favourite games coming out in a timely manner, so too can having too much of them. Shantae's pretty much an honorary member already. Being a free indie also gives Nintendo more leeway to boost potential future games without having to invest too many resources.
Shantae already comes out in a timely manner anyway. Besides, if she was a Nintendo property her games would sell at a even greater number than it would as a indie franchise so she be would more popular and world renowned than she is now.

I’d depend on how willing Nintendo is to work with that property. It has a chance of becoming a death sentence for her series. Not saying it’ll be exactly like with Rare and Microsoft, but maybe that kind of thing shouldn’t happen yet.
The timing of the releases of her games under Nintendo I would say wouldn't change or perhaps be longer, but it would no way be a death sentence for Shantae because her series would be a bigger hit as a Nintendo brand.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Eh, anyone "can" become playable. Little Mac was upgraded and we have a basic Mario enemy that Sakurai gave a full moveset to. On top of that in his source material all Captain Falcon does is drive a car, yet they made a completely fictitious move set for him.

For virtually any current assist trophy Sakurai and the Smash team could think of something for them if they wanted. That said i feel a character being an assist means that "We acknowledge the demand/importance of this character, but personally aren't very interested at the moment." Which "could" change but I'm not expecting it. That sad, it was never a case of "no chance"

As for the place holders, i don't think it's anything to get too excited about. I think the excessive amount is more in the case of "Future proofing" As in, make more spaces than you will ever use so no mater how many you decide to make, you won;t have to change things around to allow for them. But if we are all making ridiculous wish lists....

So, the order is in two section: Characters i think have a chance and characters I love but no they are far too low on the pecking order to get in (since honestly I'm not sure I could pick 14 characters I want that also have a shot)

Possibles:
1) Shantae, obviously. She was my Ballot pick back then and still want her more than anyone and still think she is in this.
2) Dixie Kong. With everyone currently in Ultimate, I would say Dixie is the biggest profile first party character not already in.
3) Banjo&Kazooie. They would be a huge get and certainly the best offer if an Microsoft partnership is in the works. Plus they deserve it.
4) Medusa or Viridi. I would like Viridi more, but Medusa would be more important. And really I'd be happy with either.
5) Mipha. It would be weird to pick one of the Champions and not the others, but she was my favorite and would mix things up with water and a trident.
6) Tails. Not a big Sonic fan, but I did always like Tails and he dose kind of deserve it if Ryu gets Ken. Plus anything is better than Shadow.
7) Panther Caroso or Slippy Toad. I think Panther would be cool, like a faster more aerial Wolf and i see a joke move set for Slippy where everything he does backfires in his advantage (tripping into opponents blaster backfires into close range explosion and such)

Now for possible, but not likely:
8) Morrigan Anesland. Love Darkstalkers, and tho I prefer Felicia, Morrigan is the mascot and takes priority.
9) Roll. Would be cool to have her in, but probably not too likely. Would love to see her in the same Smash style as her bro.
10) Birdo. We have enough Mario characters, but if they needed to add another i think Birdo would be best. Plus Mario 2 was always one of my favorites.
11) Pokemon Rival. This would basically be Blue/Gary with all the counters to Trainers Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Charmeleon and Blastoise) We don't need more Gen 1 Reps, but for theme sake they would work. Bulbasaur would be a faster Ivy. Blastoise would be a heavy Squirtle with maybe some Bowser move for smashes. Charmeleon would need to biggest overhaul.

Technically possible, but lets be honest, they aren't happening:
12) Earthworm Jim. Dude has been gone for ages and left out on a sour note, but god I love him and he would be lots of fun in smash.
13) Master Higgins. Does anyone else even remember Adventure Island? I do and I'd love this chubby caveman to get in, but he won't

And lastly, but honestly my biggest wish...
14) Luxray. I know, literally a "who now?" pokemon. I know there are so many pokemon that take priority, but he is my favorite and I will always wish.

(honorable mentions that were left out due to being assists/ pokeballs: Ashley, Krystal, Kappn', Midna, Skullkid, Tiki and Meowth)
I don't think its bad to assume more then 1 fighters pass. every fighting game out their now does more then 1 Season pass, so smash doing it just makes sense. Plus with the switch having a long life still, Nintendo would want to promote this game for awhile, as i doubt we will get a new smash till the next system.

Seeing your list, I got to say... I would want to change some of mine. Forgot about Dixie but yeah really see her getting in as one of the biggest nintendo character choices, as would a champion, though I like Urabosa more. Mipha would be more unique though.

I need to make a nice detailed list for mine later

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I just now noticed that my format broke in my previous post. I fixed it.

This website acts very sporadic on mobile for me, especially while quoting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...er_yacht_club_games_is_publishing_a_new_title

F I N A L L Y

It's good to know what's next for YCG.

With any luck, we can post in Higgins' thread with DaxMasterix DaxMasterix sometime, that'd be a start. At least AI2 and its GB port is still on the 3DS e-shop at the moment.

Exactly. And when not being busy with their IPs, WF could even help co-develop some Mario stuff in the meantime.
More likely they'd be hired to help with a 2D Metroid, if Nintendo doesn't stick with Mercury.
Mummy Demastered shows they can do serious toned games.

I don't think its bad to assume more then 1 fighters pass. every fighting game out their now does more then 1 Season pass, so smash doing it just makes sense. Plus with the switch having a long life still, Nintendo would want to promote this game for awhile, as i doubt we will get a new smash till the next system.

Seeing your list, I got to say... I would want to change some of mine. Forgot about Dixie but yeah really see her getting in as one of the biggest nintendo character choices, as would a champion, though I like Urabosa more. Mipha would be more unique though.

I need to make a nice detailed list for mine later
I neglected to put Valkyrie on my own list too.
Shantae already comes out in a timely manner anyway. Besides, if she was a Nintendo property her games would sell at a even greater number than it would as a indie franchise so she be would more popular and world renowned than she is now.

The timing of the releases of her games under Nintendo I would say wouldn't change or perhaps be longer, but it would no way be a death sentence for Shantae because her series would be a bigger hit as a Nintendo brand.
Yeah, F-Zero and Code Name Steam are super popular Nintendo games, right? Their games aren't famous because of the brand, it's because most of them are master-class in quality. But when they do make games that are bad or not well-liked for any reason fans have no problem expressing it. Even if only in the form of poor sales.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
More likely they'd be hired to help with a 2D Metroid, if Nintendo doesn't stick with Mercury.
Mummy Demastered shows they can do serious toned games.

I neglected to put Valkyrie on my own list too.

Yeah, F-Zero and Code Name Steam are super popular Nintendo games, right? Their games aren't famous because of the brand, it's because most of them are master-class in quality. But when they do make games that are bad or not well-liked for any reason fans have no problem expressing it. Even if only in the form of poor sales.
Somehow the fans did something right in regards to :ultyoshi: games, seeing as Nintendo eventually stopped farming them to Artoon/Arzest and had Good-Feel do them instead. Anything that's sci-fi in some fashion is what has rotten luck, though ARMS avoided that fate for the moment.

That being said, WF does have Metroidvania experience. Hell, they even did an Aliens game once.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Somehow the fans did something right in regards to :ultyoshi: games, seeing as Nintendo eventually stopped farming them to Artoon/Arzest and had Good-Feel do them instead. Anything that's sci-fi in some fashion is what has rotten luck, though ARMS avoided that fate for the moment.

That being said, WF does have Metroidvania experience. Hell, they even did an Aliens game once.
Alien infestation and they worked with sega on that one since SEGA does have the rights to making the ALIEN games.

D

Deleted member

So, any opinions on this following issue?
This is untrue.
32622178-0F57-44E1-AAE3-D8749E2494A5.jpeg

Back in brawl and Wii U the custom stage selection has its own page where you select the button and you have your custom stages there on that page while the extra stages (dlc) had their own page when the stage selection ran out in 3ds/Wii U. As for ultimate It’s gonna be the same. Let me demonstrate this mock up I made how i believe it will work.
4B7BF404-93AC-4BB3-9301-F461E70290BB.jpeg

Here we have the custom stage bar on top where you can click on it same with the normal button on top which changes the stage from normal battlefield and omega layouts. on the bottom we got the 5 stages for joker and the other 4 fighter pass characters and the 6th slot would be for extra stages for dlc characters that come with a stage and seperate stages on their own which could be for brand new stages never seen before or stages that didn’t make the cut like poke floats from melee and pac maze from 3ds. I wouldn’t doubt there being more dlc or giving up hope for our half genie heroine just yet.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When should we expect anything new from WayForward?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to abruptly changed the subject, but we have a new predator who's very hungry. Either steer clear, or get plenty of pahpcorn.

IMG_20190315_185916.JPG

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alien infestation and they worked with sega on that one since SEGA does have the rights to making the ALIEN games.
Man, they really take after their mascot with how helpful Wayforward is, huh? This whole Bloodstained situation is starting to sound like how the many problems arising in Half-Genie Hero interfere with the main job of building the Dynamo...

It seems more due to said sci-fi games not having as wide appeal for all ages (Metroid games are scary and serious, F-Zero is brutally difficult). Star Fox suffers more from inconsistent game design.

ARMS may have a couple of sci-fi elements but it feels more like a superhero universe in practice. Wasn't the comic book adaptation by Dark Horse slated to come out this year? The preview alone gave tons of insight in Spring Man's backstory and motivations.

zferolie

Smash Hero
How does that explain the lukewarm performances of Adventures, Assault and Command?
Adventure wasn't meant to be a star fox game originally. It was a rare original game staring Krystal till Miamoto came in and told them to turn it into a star fox game.

Assault had pretty terrible ground segments

COmmand had terrible controls.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's actually pretty cool :)
I like figures. I dont even have the shantae one tho. Maybe someday <3

Indivisible should be coming out in not too long, too. That's another thing to look forward to.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To me, it definitely still feels possible for ballot picks or other 3rd parties to make it in in future waves. Shantae happens to be both, and i think we dont have to give up on her, even if we really dont know the chances.

:):pimp:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Regardless of Shantae ending up being in the same boat as F-Zero, she still would be more world renowned if she was under the Nintendo brand.

More like Star Fox is forever stuck in a time loop where only the first game keeps on getting remade.
Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox Zero, it seems like the series will forever be in purgatory and it sucks man. Assault might have not been everyone's favorite Star Fox game, but the direction the series was going at the time then was the right direction for the franchise.

It's either Risky or Sky.
I'm 99% percent sure it's Risky because that has to be her ship.

To me, it definitely still feels possible for ballot picks or other 3rd parties to make it in in future waves. Shantae happens to be both, and i think we dont have to give up on her, even if we really dont know the chances.

Yep, we shouldn't give up until we "Make the wish come true!".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wasn't the comic book adaptation by Dark Horse slated to come out this year? The preview alone gave tons of insight in Spring Man's backstory and motivations.
That's news to me, when did that comic get announced?

Adventure wasn't meant to be a star fox game originally. It was a rare original game staring Krystal till Miamoto came in and told them to turn it into a star fox game.

Assault had pretty terrible ground segments

COmmand had terrible controls.
Command also had a questionable plot that annoyed Fox/Krystal shippers. Which is really too bad, since Q Games actually did a good job on X-Scape, so one wonders what went wrong here.

I consider Assault the Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 of the series; otherwise decent outside of on-foot segments that don't work.

Regardless of Shantae ending up being in the same boat as F-Zero, she still would be more world renowned if she was under the Nintendo brand.

Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox Zero, it seems like the series will forever be in purgatory and it sucks man. Assault might have not been everyone's favorite Star Fox game, but the direction the series was going at the time then was the right direction for the franchise.

I'm 99% percent sure it's Risky because that has to be her ship.
Yeah, that's for sure. Right now she's still pretty niche, and only upgraded from "games that you go out of your way to find" to "cult game with feelies that appeals to hardcore crowd".

It's telling that the best recent Star Fox thing to come out was done by a French company and mostly had nothing to do with Star Fox. At least we got an official release of Star Fox 2 out of this whole deal...Maybe it'd work best if Koizumi was in charge.

Risky, all of my yes...

That's the spirit!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The interesting thing is that there was 16 slots.
Logically, if there was only the Plant and the Fighter pass they'd only need 8 slots (Binary numbers) but they went for double the amount.

It shows to me that they are at least seriously considering multiple passes.
My Wallet is not gonna rest easy.

As for who or what, I think they'd be hard pressed to find 14 new 3rd parties and characters who aren't already in as spirits.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's for sure. Right now she's still pretty niche, and only upgraded from "games that you go out of your way to find" to "cult game with feelies that appeals to hardcore crowd".

It's telling that the best recent Star Fox thing to come out was done by a French company and mostly had nothing to do with Star Fox. At least we got an official release of Star Fox 2 out of this whole deal...Maybe it'd work best if Koizumi was in charge.

Risky, all of my yes...

That's the spirit!
Things may be slower now, but i think a lot of people got to know about shantae thanks to smash & speculation. Probably still somewhat niche, but a lot less than before, i would say. I also think a lot more people are into indie games.

I havent seen what everyone talked about the star fox games, havent kept up, but i really hope they bring back krystal at some point.
And for F-zero, they just need to bring it back entirely :O

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae win Smash slot over other indies by actually having an actual series lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae win Smash slot over other indies by actually having an actual series lol.
Except Reimu, although even then Touhou's far better known in Japan and doujin circles.

Juan does too, although he's only got two games so far.

Yeah but now it's in a time loop. I love Star Fox, but its sadly keeps on redoing the first game now.
Just watch, the next game will be about them finding out they're in a time loop. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Except Reimu, although even then Touhou's far better known in Japan and doujin circles.

Juan does too, although he's only got two games so far.

Just watch, the next game will be about them finding out they're in a time loop. :4pacman:
Reimu and Shantae you say?
1536046034458.jpg

both are cool :)
Tho reimu is just one of like a hundred characters in the series.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's news to me, when did that comic get announced?
Last year, they put out the preview along a Legend of Korra story on Free Comic Book day.

https://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/08/dark-horse-gives-special-preview-upcoming-arms-comic/

Turns out it was supposed to be out January this year, but was delayed. I don't follow comics much these days... doesn't help there's not much in the way of convenient shopping for those in my area.

Two random thoughts for the day: Mr. Game & Watch does a lot of Tinkerbat-like things these days like burning things, throwing bombs, hammer bashing, handling marine life and scuba diving. And I don't know if this was ever brought up in the past, but looking through concept art for Half-Genie Hero's Batgal shows a lot of move ideas for her... way more than what she does as an enemy.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
...I don't know if this was ever brought up in the past, but looking through concept art for Half-Genie Hero's Batgal shows a lot of move ideas for her... way more than what she does as an enemy.
Possible ally/playable character!? I'm getting classic "Paper Mario" vibes just from hearing that, and seems downright "hilarious in hindsight" in the face of playable Mario enemies, ESPECIALLY our dear Piranha Plant becoming playable in Smash Ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Possible ally/playable character!? I'm getting classic "Paper Mario" vibes just from hearing that, and seems downright "hilarious in hindsight" in the face of playable Mario enemies, ESPECIALLY our dear Piranha Plant becoming playable in Smash Ultimate.
Most of them are close combat moves that wouldn't be out of place in Smash. Two with the tail (a grounded uppercut/launcher and downward aerial sting), a slap with one on the wings of her helmet, a claw swipe and some kind of rushing move with a drill-like motion in front of her. Strangely, nothing involving the chain she actually uses.

Maybe there's a chance she'd become the Old Axe Armor mode of Shantae games?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair, Commander Video has a full blown series and Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are parts of series, albeit are only the main character of the debut game. Both also had the strange affliction of DLC becoming so big it became it's own game. You'd never see EA but that much effort into DLC.

Shantae does have the seniority over other Indie characters by virtue of Capcom not acquiring the rights when publishing. Still wondering how they pulled that off.

Top Bottom