• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Okay, new controversial topic came up: are 80 characters enough to Sakurai and co or will they add a few more to make as much people happy as possible anyway?

My two cents are: I don't know, I just don't know. A lot of people thought there wouldn't be DLC since the base roster is big as is, yet here we are. We're in the same situation again, with nothing indicating that the 5 pass characters are all that's left to add, period.

Sure, Sakurai could use a rest, but given how workaholic he and plenty of people in his country are, I figure he may want to push himself a little further, so no one can really judge when will be the time to do that. He himself knows when enough is enough.

Though I will agree that promoting ATs would go nowhere fast, so it's best to consider other character options that haven't been looked at thoroughly.
Just gonna say that "replacing" assists doesn't really need to happen when they can just flag them not to spawn when the fighter is in play. Spirit battles and Young Link's classic run confirm controlled assist spawning.

They're still unlikely more due to the devs likely having well-considered arguments for making them the way they are. Sakurai explained Alucard by saying he certainly had enough potential as a fighter but the Belmonts were way more iconic and unique with their whips. It's not hard to imagine similar arguments of just not enough potential or not bringing enough new to the table for many others. You can thank the chilly reception of Fire Emblem representation these days for that.

Also, taking breaks doesn't necessarily mean the end of DLC. With the long life ahead of the Switch the team could take a year vacation and still find the game alive and kicking upon their return.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just gonna say that "replacing" assists doesn't really need to happen when they can just flag them not to spawn when the fighter is in play. Spirit battles and Young Link's classic run confirm controlled assist spawning.

They're still unlikely more due to the devs likely having well-considered arguments for making them the way they are. Sakurai explained Alucard by saying he certainly had enough potential as a fighter but the Belmonts were way more iconic and unique with their whips. It's not hard to imagine similar arguments of just not enough potential or not bringing enough new to the table for many others. You can thank the chilly reception of Fire Emblem representation these days for that.

Also, taking breaks doesn't necessarily mean the end of DLC.
Yup.

Also, speaking of "not necessarily the end", something interesting came up in the Geno thread. No idea how true it is, but it'll be quite the game changer if it is...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
As long no major info has arrived to the scene, talk about spirits being fighter or not will continue to appear.
Also, here is a shantae artwork

Artist: jmkplover
Princess_Peach_and_Shantae_by_jmkplover.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As long no major info has arrived to the scene, talk about spirits being fighter or not will continue to appear.
Also, here is a shantae artwork

Artist: jmkplover
View attachment 197908
Set to be one of my faves, it has my gal :ultpeach: in it! ~

It looks so authentic to both of their series' respective artstyles, too.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So going y the leak in he Geno head since Piranha plant takes up one those spots that leaves 15 more spaces....and how many characters are in the current fighter pass? 5 and 15 is that times 3

Dukefire

Smash Master
So going y the leak in he Geno head since Piranha plant takes up one those spots that leaves 15 more spaces....and how many characters are in the current fighter pass? 5 and 15 is that times 3
to the point right now, only confirmed 5 characters will join and no official plans for more DLC passes to buy.

Dukefire

Smash Master
A different artwork I'm leaving here for tonight other then shantae.

Artist: BoxBird
everyone_is_here__by_boxbird_dd21wwn-pre.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
I've been MIA for a long time. I assume I missed a lot.

I really like that video moveset posted last page. very nice work, and I think its a cool unique way to get her transformations in without dance time slowing her kit down possibly. I would only say that I think her final smash should be a full screen dance that pays tribute to that old mini game from the GBC game. CInematic, flashy. she dances and blasts them away. I imagine it looking something like Mata Hari's Noble Phantasm from Fate Grand order Arcade

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been MIA for a long time. I assume I missed a lot.

I really like that video moveset posted last page. very nice work, and I think its a cool unique way to get her transformations in without dance time slowing her kit down possibly. I would only say that I think her final smash should be a full screen dance that pays tribute to that old mini game from the GBC game. CInematic, flashy. she dances and blasts them away. I imagine it looking something like Mata Hari's Noble Phantasm from Fate Grand order Arcade

Cinematic implies it won't actually hit the whole screen. I still maintain that I want Shantae's friends to help deliver the smackdown, but I suppose she can cap it off with an enhanced Obliterate Dance.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Cinematic implies it won't actually hit the whole screen. I still maintain that I want Shantae's friends to help deliver the smackdown, but I suppose she can cap it off with an enhanced Obliterate Dance.
Whos to say they may not be attacking while she dances? Or Rotty, Bolo, and Sky dance with her, all with varying degree's of success

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if Risky came in on one of her tinker machines for the final smash and does a "I was aiming at Shantae but I got the other characters instead" sort of attack?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
to the point right now, only confirmed 5 characters will join and no official plans for more DLC passes to buy.
I fully expect that no official details will come up until that damn fourth fifth character shows up and completes the pass. So, approximately one year from now.

Until then, at least the new info we got is an actual datamine, and not another "my source from my great-grandpa's cousin twice removed at Nintendo told me so and so".

View attachment 198084
Pretty good, except that Corrin isn't supposed to be blonde.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

View attachment 198084
If you look closely, you notice the fighters are organized by their game of introduction (except the Ultimate newcomers). 64 in the cross, Melee in the upper left, Brawl in the bottom right and 4 in the upper right.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What's up with the shantae thread and fans? I think it's cool people have been still been steadily coming once in a while.
Only 2 pages til 700 pages, not bad ;)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Better idea: Nintendo buys WayForward and our Half-Genie Hero becomes a member of the Nintendo family. A man can dream right?!
Beware friend, that although having limited means can prevent our favourite games coming out in a timely manner, so too can having too much of them. Shantae's pretty much an honorary member already. Being a free indie also gives Nintendo more leeway to boost potential future games without having to invest too many resources.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Better idea: Nintendo buys WayForward and our Half-Genie Hero becomes a member of the Nintendo family. A man can dream right?!
I’d depend on how willing Nintendo is to work with that property. It has a chance of becoming a death sentence for her series. Not saying it’ll be exactly like with Rare and Microsoft, but maybe that kind of thing shouldn’t happen yet.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There being 15 slots of dlc potentially does help think about the chance of future waves, including giving a chance to all the characters we might want in :)
ie shantae always still had a chance ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There being 15 slots of dlc potentially does help think about the chance of future waves, including giving a chance to all the characters we might want in :)
ie shantae always still had a chance ;)
Where did this 15 slots come from? Did I miss somthing? I’m so confused

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Where did this 15 slots come from? Did I miss somthing? I’m so confused
Dataminers found unused character slots in the game. 16 of them but one of them is used by pirahna plant. (so naturally makes sense for them to be for dlc)

I think Papagenos and some others have talked about it, but i dont know who specifically found the data.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Beware friend, that although having limited means can prevent our favourite games coming out in a timely manner, so too can having too much of them. Shantae's pretty much an honorary member already. Being a free indie also gives Nintendo more leeway to boost potential future games without having to invest too many resources.
I’d depend on how willing Nintendo is to work with that property. It has a chance of becoming a death sentence for her series. Not saying it’ll be exactly like with Rare and Microsoft, but maybe that kind of thing shouldn’t happen yet.
Seeing how underused some of Nintendo's properties are, I'm convinced that almost nothing would change in that scenario. WF would be like folks who won the big lottery prize, yet decide to continue working by themselves anyway (because there's no point throwing money out the window).

D

Deleted member

The details are in the Geno thread, but the gist of it is this:

Datamine, World of Light, 15 dummy slots.
Dataminers found unused character slots in the game. 16 of them but one of them is used by pirahna plant. (so naturally makes sense for them to be for dlc)

I think Papagenos and some others have talked about it, but i dont know who specifically found the data.
98B890D2-DE2B-4608-AFAC-4260D2A65FA8.jpeg

Oh boi.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Here's a fun lil game that the Geno and Banjo threads have done, list your 14 most wanted newcomers.

I'll start:
1. Shantae
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Steve?
4. Heavy Weapons Guy
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. DoomGuy/DoomSlayer
7. Master Chief
8. Erdrick
9. Sora
10. Agitha
11. Girl from Volleyball/Volleyball Player (NES)
12. Mach Rider
13. Edward Richtofen
14. ? Block

Dukefire

Smash Master
Screenshot_20190313-124321_YouTube.jpg

I'm kind of shocked about that, though I won't make any guesses yet since it could be false info.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
What's up with the shantae thread and fans? I think it's cool people have been still been steadily coming once in a while.
Only 2 pages til 700 pages, not bad ;)
Oh. I thought you were an angry Shantae Hater for a second.

Here's a fun lil game that the Geno and Banjo threads have done, list your 14 most wanted newcomers.
1. Shantae
2. Velvet Crowe
3. Marina Liteyears
4. Goemon
5. Mawile
6. Banjo & Kazooie
7. Drawcia
8. Lute
9. Roll
10. Glover
11. Sir Dan
12. Sir Arthur
13. Jazz Jackrabbit
14. Brian (Quest 64)

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I'll start:
1. Shantae
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Steve?
4. Heavy Weapons Guy
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. DoomGuy/DoomSlayer
7. Master Chief
8. Erdrick
9. Sora
10. Agitha
12. Mach Rider
13. Edward Richtofen
14. ? Block

1.Shantae
2.Banjo&Kazooie
3.Adeliene
4.Marina Liteyears
5.KOS-MOS
6.Geno
7.Lip
8.Ayumi Tachibana
9.2B
10.Agumon
11.Porky
12.Sora
13.Dr.Eggman
14.Crash
15.Kazuma Kiryu

LinkaFlame

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5325-3982-2605

I'll start:
1. Shantae
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Steve?
4. Heavy Weapons Guy
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. DoomGuy/DoomSlayer
7. Master Chief
8. Erdrick
9. Sora
10. Agitha
12. Mach Rider
13. Edward Richtofen
14. ? Block
1. Shantae
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Hat Kid
4. Octoling
5. 2B
6. Hector
7. Arle Nadja
8. Steve
9. Geno
10. Heavy Weapons Guy
11. Doc Louis
12. Linkle
13. Sora
14. Mach Rider

zferolie

Smash Hero

I'll start:
1. Shantae
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Steve?
4. Heavy Weapons Guy
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. DoomGuy/DoomSlayer
7. Master Chief
8. Erdrick
9. Sora
10. Agitha
12. Mach Rider
13. Edward Richtofen
14. ? Block
I've been saying since november that 1 fighters pass made no sense from a business side. 1 or 2 more would make sense for them to keep supporting this game for awhile. Here are my 14 most wanted/14 I think still have a good chance.

1. Shantae
2. Banjo and Kazooie
3. Ryu Hyabusa
4. Tales of Rep(lloyd or someone else)
5. Rayman
6. Dragon Quest Slime
7. Lip
8. Reimu
9. Donbe and Hikari
10. Bandana Waddle Dee/ Adeline
11. Medusa
12. Rythem Heaven Girl
13. Paper Mario
14. Pyra and Mythra

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice

I'll start:
1. Shantae
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Steve?
4. Heavy Weapons Guy
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. DoomGuy/DoomSlayer
7. Master Chief
8. Erdrick
9. Sora
10. Agitha
12. Mach Rider
13. Edward Richtofen
14. ? Block
Been a while since I've posted, but this sounds fun honestly. I'll list them out in no particular order other than first goes to our girl.

Shantae
Edea Lee (I feel like people are sleeping on Bravely Default, but that's cause I really want it)
Bartz cause reasons
Skull Kid
Deoxys (My favorite Pokemon I've always wanted in Smash since Brawl)
More Mother characters
Geno cause he seems like a cool guy
Anime character that has no chance
Banjo-Kazooie

This is harder than I thought. Any other characters would be swell I suppose.
Maybe in the morning I'll update this list with 6 Ganondorfs.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You're mixing up reason and cause. Character became Assist Trophies because they have no chance to become playable, not the other way.
Eh, anyone "can" become playable. Little Mac was upgraded and we have a basic Mario enemy that Sakurai gave a full moveset to. On top of that in his source material all Captain Falcon does is drive a car, yet they made a completely fictitious move set for him.

For virtually any current assist trophy Sakurai and the Smash team could think of something for them if they wanted. That said i feel a character being an assist means that "We acknowledge the demand/importance of this character, but personally aren't very interested at the moment." Which "could" change but I'm not expecting it. That sad, it was never a case of "no chance"

As for the place holders, i don't think it's anything to get too excited about. I think the excessive amount is more in the case of "Future proofing" As in, make more spaces than you will ever use so no mater how many you decide to make, you won;t have to change things around to allow for them. But if we are all making ridiculous wish lists....

So, the order is in two section: Characters i think have a chance and characters I love but no they are far too low on the pecking order to get in (since honestly I'm not sure I could pick 14 characters I want that also have a shot)

Possibles:
1) Shantae, obviously. She was my Ballot pick back then and still want her more than anyone and still think she is in this.
2) Dixie Kong. With everyone currently in Ultimate, I would say Dixie is the biggest profile first party character not already in.
3) Banjo&Kazooie. They would be a huge get and certainly the best offer if an Microsoft partnership is in the works. Plus they deserve it.
4) Medusa or Viridi. I would like Viridi more, but Medusa would be more important. And really I'd be happy with either.
5) Mipha. It would be weird to pick one of the Champions and not the others, but she was my favorite and would mix things up with water and a trident.
6) Tails. Not a big Sonic fan, but I did always like Tails and he dose kind of deserve it if Ryu gets Ken. Plus anything is better than Shadow.
7) Panther Caroso or Slippy Toad. I think Panther would be cool, like a faster more aerial Wolf and i see a joke move set for Slippy where everything he does backfires in his advantage (tripping into opponents blaster backfires into close range explosion and such)

Now for possible, but not likely:
8) Morrigan Anesland. Love Darkstalkers, and tho I prefer Felicia, Morrigan is the mascot and takes priority.
9) Roll. Would be cool to have her in, but probably not too likely. Would love to see her in the same Smash style as her bro.
10) Birdo. We have enough Mario characters, but if they needed to add another i think Birdo would be best. Plus Mario 2 was always one of my favorites.
11) Pokemon Rival. This would basically be Blue/Gary with all the counters to Trainers Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Charmeleon and Blastoise) We don't need more Gen 1 Reps, but for theme sake they would work. Bulbasaur would be a faster Ivy. Blastoise would be a heavy Squirtle with maybe some Bowser move for smashes. Charmeleon would need to biggest overhaul.

Technically possible, but lets be honest, they aren't happening:
12) Earthworm Jim. Dude has been gone for ages and left out on a sour note, but god I love him and he would be lots of fun in smash.
13) Master Higgins. Does anyone else even remember Adventure Island? I do and I'd love this chubby caveman to get in, but he won't

And lastly, but honestly my biggest wish...
14) Luxray. I know, literally a "who now?" pokemon. I know there are so many pokemon that take priority, but he is my favorite and I will always wish.

(honorable mentions that were left out due to being assists/ pokeballs: Ashley, Krystal, Kappn', Midna, Skullkid, Tiki and Meowth)

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Figured it would be good to include a video regarding the datamine discussion.

As for my Top 15 Wanted Characters (subject to change):
1. Shantae
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Reimu
4. Saber
5. Pyra/Mythra
6. Medusa
7. Kazuma Kiryu
8. Solaire
9. Sakura Shinguji
10. KOS-MOS
11. 2B
12. Midna
13. Bandana Waddle Dee
14. Gardevoir
15. Doom Guy/Marine/Slayer

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Seeing how underused some of Nintendo's properties are, I'm convinced that almost nothing would change in that scenario. WF would be like folks who won the big lottery prize, yet decide to continue working by themselves anyway (because there's no point throwing money out the window).
Both Nintendo and Wayforward probably see no reason to fix what isn't broke. All the latter could really use is funds.

Eh, anyone "can" become playable. Little Mac was upgraded and we have a basic Mario enemy that Sakurai gave a full moveset to. On top of that in his source material all Captain Falcon does is drive a car, yet they made a completely fictitious move set for him.

For virtually any current assist trophy Sakurai and the Smash team could think of something for them if they wanted. That said i feel a character being an assist means that "We acknowledge the demand/importance of this character, but personally aren't very interested at the moment." Which "could" change but I'm not expecting it. That sad, it was never a case of "no chance"

As for the place holders, i don't think it's anything to get too excited about. I think the excessive amount is more in the case of "Future proofing" As in, make more spaces than you will ever use so no mater how many you decide to make, you won;t have to change things around to allow for them. But if we are all making ridiculous wish lists....

So, the order is in two section: Characters i think have a chance and characters I love but no they are far too low on the pecking order to get in (since honestly I'm not sure I could pick 14 characters I want that also have a shot)

Possibles:
1) Shantae, obviously. She was my Ballot pick back then and still want her more than anyone and still think she is in this.
2) Dixie Kong. With everyone currently in Ultimate, I would say Dixie is the biggest profile first party character not already in.
3) Banjo&Kazooie. They would be a huge get and certainly the best offer if an Microsoft partnership is in the works. Plus they deserve it.
4) Medusa or Viridi. I would like Viridi more, but Medusa would be more important. And really I'd be happy with either.
5) Mipha. It would be weird to pick one of the Champions and not the others, but she was my favorite and would mix things up with water and a trident.
6) Tails. Not a big Sonic fan, but I did always like Tails and he dose kind of deserve it if Ryu gets Ken. Plus anything is better than Shadow.
7) Panther Caroso or Slippy Toad. I think Panther would be cool, like a faster more aerial Wolf and i see a joke move set for Slippy where everything he does backfires in his advantage (tripping into opponents blaster backfires into close range explosion and such)

Now for possible, but not likely:
8) Morrigan Anesland. Love Darkstalkers, and tho I prefer Felicia, Morrigan is the mascot and takes priority.
9) Roll. Would be cool to have her in, but probably not too likely. Would love to see her in the same Smash style as her bro.
10) Birdo. We have enough Mario characters, but if they needed to add another i think Birdo would be best. Plus Mario 2 was always one of my favorites.
11) Pokemon Rival. This would basically be Blue/Gary with all the counters to Trainers Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Charmeleon and Blastoise) We don't need more Gen 1 Reps, but for theme sake they would work. Bulbasaur would be a faster Ivy. Blastoise would be a heavy Squirtle with maybe some Bowser move for smashes. Charmeleon would need to biggest overhaul.

Technically possible, but lets be honest, they aren't happening:
12) Earthworm Jim. Dude has been gone for ages and left out on a sour note, but god I love him and he would be lots of fun in smash.
13) Master Higgins. Does anyone else even remember Adventure Island? I do and I'd love this chubby caveman to get in, but he won't

And lastly, but honestly my biggest wish...
14) Luxray. I know, literally a "who now?" pokemon. I know there are so many pokemon that take priority, but he is my favorite and I will always wish.

(honorable mentions that were left out due to being assists/ pokeballs: Ashley, Krystal, Kappn', Midna, Skullkid, Tiki and Meowth)
Even if placeholders are only half true it's still exciting to see.

My list:

1. Shantae (She's so close! Don't give up!)
2. Monster Hunter (The massive success that is World makes it hard to ignore).
3. Reiji Arisu (The most fitting, yet unknown Namco rep).
4. Rex, Pyra and Mythra
5. Dr. Coyle
6. Rayman
7. Magolor
8. Chun-Li
9. Grovyle (The Mystery Dungeon one if possible)
10. Morrigan Aensland
11. Rundas
12. Micaiah
13. Robin (Iconoclasts. Agent Black would be cool too.)
14. The Messenger
15. Tam

I'm mostly just listing off things after the top 3.

Top Bottom