• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There has to be a balance between fan pick and Official selections with other companies.

You can't have too much on one side or else it won't taste the same in the long run
Right. My point was Joker couldn't be a ballot pick, and some characters wanted are literally impossible to be.

I wasn't saying anything about whether a balance was needed. Though I agree. A balance is good too. We got a really neat base roster in Ultimate since it wasn't pure fan wants. It's got nice variety~

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae is the single non nintendo, non stage presence, AT or playable character or from a repped series to have an online smash tag icon. Why? By their positions on the spirit list in the base game its probable they were last minute additions, if so then why did she get a Smash tag icon despite another third party like Rayman with more overall history, a bigger and more well known series and a bigger company NOT get one.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still feel like we are getting at least some sort of XB2 rep. Just not Rex maybe.
Probably Elma from XBX since there is no XBX music in Ultimate what so ever.
It wouldn’t make sense if it wasn’t Rex, that’s like if Tifa was the FF rep instead of Cloud.
The quote in your signature sounds like something Gruntilda would say.

if so then why did she get a Smash tag icon despite another third party like Rayman with more overall history, a bigger and more well known series and a bigger company NOT get one.
Because Shantae probably performed better in the Ballot and got the bigger prize because of that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Because Shantae probably performed better in the Ballot and got the bigger prize because of that.
Don't see why they'd have to hold back Xeno X songs considering any new Xenoblade stage would have all Xenoblade songs by default. Anyway she's a spirit, but considering Rex and his two Legend status blades I think it's clear who's higher on the priority list.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Moreso because WF is like, really easy to negotiate with for content.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You know that’s from a Foo Fighters song, right?

Don't see why they'd have to hold back Xeno X songs considering any new Xenoblade stage would have all Xenoblade songs by default. Anyway she's a spirit, but considering Rex and his two Legend status blades I think it's clear who's higher on the priority list.
I wonder if the artist or recording studio is holding back the songs?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Moreso because WF is like, really easy to negotiate with for content.
Letting your character's image be used in game but not as an online avatar seems like a really weird line to draw for the owner. Inclusion alone will see your character shown all over the internet anyway. With that in mind I can't think of any other reason for including online avatars or not other than ''because they wanted to''.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So SourceGaming says that datamining of the smash website hints to Stage Builder and Home Run Contest being added as part of the big jump to 3.0.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Heard that sakurai is now on IV? That man REALLY deserves a long break after everything is said and done.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I strongly doubt that's the reason and that shantae beat an Icon like Rayman on the ballot. If anything they did equal. It's probably an oversight really
I think it's quite possible actually, considering how promoted she was by Wayforward back in the ballot days.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I think it's quite possible actually, considering how promoted she was by Wayforward back in the ballot days.
Even then Rayman is still a big icon. I don't think shantae getting an icon is cause of her having more votes, like I said probably an oversight. Rayman is just as big of a name in smash speculation and is one of Ubisoft's big icons

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Even then Rayman is still a big icon. I don't think shantae getting an icon is cause of her having more votes, like I said probably an oversight. Rayman is just as big of a name in smash speculation and is one of Ubisoft's big icons
How can he both be a big icon while also being overlooked?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Dont you all find it odd that Shantae is the SOLE character in the entire game to have a Smash tag icon while not being represented in some form via a playable character, AT, or being first party? All Smash tags are either A) A Playable character B) An Assist Trophy C) Spirits related to series from A) or B) D) Series owned by Nintendo or E} Original Smash content.

Shantae is a peculiar anomaly amongst them. The other icons with her similar background color of "grey" of the "misc" category in smash tag icons are Chorus Kids who have representation of music from their series, LIp who has the mii fighter costume and Lip's Stick, Diskun who has a spirit and played an important role as their mascot of the original famicom, and Oni Dr. Kawashima, a part of an AT. all of them are however Nintendo IPs.

SHANTAE STICKS OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Dont you all find it odd that Shantae is the SOLE character in the entire game to have a Smash tag icon while not being represented in some form via a playable character, AT, or being first party? All Smash tags are either A) A Playable character B) An Assist Trophy C) Spirits related to series from A) or B) D) Series owned by Nintendo or E} Original Smash content.

Shantae is a peculiar anomaly amongst them. The other icons with her similar background color of "grey" of the "misc" category in smash tag icons are Chorus Kids who have representation of music from their series, LIp who has the mii fighter costume and Lip's Stick, Diskun who has a spirit and played an important role as their mascot of the original famicom, and Oni Dr. Kawashima, a part of an AT. all of them are however Nintendo IPs.

Sure yes, but remember that sticking out like a sore thumb doesn't truly guarantee the true route what the wish is. All we can for is just hope for the best and let fate tell us.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
People tend to overstretch things during the hype.
Makes sense. I don't really recall Rayman being disused that much back then. Can't say for sure though, was not as into the speculation scene back then as I am now.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Makes sense. I don't really recall Rayman being disused that much back then. Can't say for sure though, was not as into the speculation scene back then as I am now.
People weren't talking much about Rayman in Smash until Artsy Omni. I think a lot of the fanbase was still a little miffed at Ubisoft at the time of the ballot for 1) Taking away Rayman Legends exclusivity and for also telling Nintendo fans it was their fault they weren't getting all their big games because they wouldn't buy all the buggy and broken ports ubi made for the Wii U.

Really aside from the die hard fans, other Nintendo gamers didn't seem to think to much about Rayman getting in at the time.

As for Rayman not getting a fighter tag, I don't thing anything like that would be "an Oversight" If he was meant to and they simply forgot to, it could be considered as rude, which Nintendo is very careful about when working with partner companies.

I really just think the Smash team doesn't think too much about Rayman. I mean, the trophies in Smash 4 were only there because Ubisoft gave them the full renders in hopes of them getting included.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I strongly doubt that's the reason and that shantae beat an Icon like Rayman on the ballot. If anything they did equal. It's probably an oversight really
Being a big icon doesn't make a character as popular as others for Smash. Otherwise names like Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Kratos, Tails, ect would all have bigger support threads on here than Isaac, Geno, and Banjo & Kazooie. Also, some more 3rd party characters from the Ballot would have been chosen over Ridley and K. Rool if that was the case because they don't hold a candle to a lot of big 3rd party protagonists when it comes to iconicness.

You know Geno is a spirit and a online Smash tag icon as well right? He isn't playable, a Assist, and not a first party just like Shantae. So he is in the same boat as her pretty much.

He was popular, but still not as popular as K. Rool, Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Banjo & Kazooie back then. I was around during Smash 4's speculation scene and I would go as far to say that Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Banjo & Kazooie were a lot more popular during the Ballot than Geno and Isaac were.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Being a big icon doesn't make a character as popular as others for Smash. Otherwise names like Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Kratos, Tails, ect would all have bigger support threads on here than Isaac, Geno, and Banjo & Kazooie. Also, some more 3rd party characters from the Ballot would have been chosen over Ridley and K. Rool if that was the case because they don't hold a candle to a lot of big 3rd party protagonists when it comes to iconicness.

You know Geno is a spirit and a online Smash tag icon as well right? He isn't playable, a Assist, and not a first party just like Shantae. So he is in the same boat as her pretty much.

He was popular, but still not as popular as K. Rool, Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Banjo & Kazooie back then. I was around during Smash 4's speculation scene and I would go as far to say that K. Rool of course, Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Banjo & Kazooie were a lot more popular during the Ballot than Geno and Isaac.
But however, he is under the Mario association. he is TECHNICALLY still under those clauses.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Geno is in a weird spot when it comes to legality. Technically he is owned by Square, but he exists as a Mario character, so neither company can really do anything with him without the other's cooperation.

It's kind like that one guy who used to write for the Sonic Archie comics. He got really butthurt with the company and was able to sue for the rights of his characters so Archie and Sega couldn't do anything with them, but because they were Sonic characters from a Sonic universe he can't really do anything with them on his own either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>an indie character that barely has much representation getting an online icon
>an oversight

vPAvtn2.jpg

So, this is an oversight and character spirit absences like Sylux + most MP hunters, Professor Hector and the Pro Wrestling cast aren't?

It seems bleeding weird to me how Shantae has an icon despite having less stuff than Shovel Knight. Explain this tomfoolery.

Geno is in a weird spot when it comes to legality. Technically he is owned by Square, but he exists as a Mario character, so neither company can really do anything with him without the other's cooperation.

It's kind like that one guy who used to write for the Sonic Archie comics. He got really butthurt with the company and was able to sue for the rights of his characters so Archie and Sega couldn't do anything with them, but because they were Sonic characters from a Sonic universe he can't really do anything with them on his own either.
At least in Ken Penders' case nobody wanted anything to do with his stuff afterwards, to the point where Archie forced a continuity reboot and after that got cancelled, IDW mainly concentrates on using the game characters/their own stuff and pretends he doesn't exist when he cries foul over one of their characters looking similar to his. Much more clear-cut.

Meanwhile, in regards to Smash it seems to be a silent agreement in that it's the only time Geno can openly be used in some fashion by either party.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And Porky. :)
Heh, yeah, though I was listing a few examples. Personally I don't think he'll amount to anything, but I'll politely wait until the Fighter Pass is finished before I can say "I told you so" to any fans of his.

Personally to me the bigger oversight is gutting out every art-based Kirby character except for Elline. Even Paint Roller.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
>an indie character that barely has much representation getting an online icon
>an oversight

View attachment 197363

So, this is an oversight and character spirit absences like Sylux + most MP hunters, Professor Hector and the Pro Wrestling cast aren't?

It seems bleeding weird to me how Shovel Knight has more stuff than Shantae and yet doesn't have an icon while she does. Explain this tomfoolery.

At least in Ken Penders' case nobody wanted anything to do with his stuff afterwards, to the point where Archie forced a continuity reboot and after that got cancelled, IDW mainly concentrates on using the game characters/their own stuff and pretends he doesn't exist when he cries foul over one of their characters looking similar to his.
But he does. Every assist has an icon, including Shovel Knight.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Personally I don't think he'll amount to anything, but I'll politely wait until the Fighter Pass is finished before I can say "I told you so" to any fans of his.
Well you know what they say, it's not over until the fat lady sings. I will be eating my words if Porky is deconfirmed, but I will be bragging to everybody that I was right if he does get confirmed.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Heh, yeah, though I was listing a few examples. Personally I don't think he'll amount to anything, but I'll politely wait until the Fighter Pass is finished before I can say "I told you so" to any fans of his.

Personally to me the bigger oversight is gutting out every art-based Kirby character except for Elline. Even Paint Roller.
They probably just didn't want to make art-themed battles multiple times for Kirby.

And there's another weird representation case with Rathalos, who gets to be a boss and assist, a whole area dedicated to him in World of Light and two songs (a spirit and icon are just formalities at this point). Might not mean much more for him specifcally, but it's still an awful lot of content for a non-Nintendo series without a fighter...

Actually he was used briefly in one of the Mario and Luigi games...

With a very, very explicit disclaimer in the credits.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They probably just didn't want to make art-themed battles multiple times for Kirby.

And there's another weird representation case with Rathalos, who gets to be a boss and assist, a whole area dedicated to him in World of Light and two songs (a spirit and icon are just formalities at this point). Might not mean much more for him specifcally, but it's still an awful lot of content for a non-Nintendo series without a fighter...

I know, my point was that Smash wasn't the only place the two parties agreed to allow the character to be used.

As for why he wasn't in the remake, I imagine that's because at the time of the original, Square didn't think to much of Geno as a commodity.

However between than and the remake, they saw the kind of demand there was for him by Nintendo fans and figured they could require more from Nintendo to use him, and the team behind the remake just decided he want important enough to make it worth what Square was now asking for.

Complete speculation on my part, but it makes sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

And yet they had no problem making multiple battles for FE ladies by using Lucina and occasionally Robin. Because double-standards.

Very good point on Rathalos though, but then again no one blinks an eye because people aren't so much interested in characters, but the main draw of MH; the setting and monsters.

I know, my point was that Smash wasn't the only place the two parties agreed to allow the character to be used.

As for why he wasn't in the remake, I imagine that's because at the time of the original, Square didn't think to much of Geno as a commodity.

However between than and the remake, they saw the kind of demand there was for him by Nintendo fans and figured they could require more from Nintendo to use him, and the team behind the remake just decided he want important enough to make it worth what Square was now asking for.

Complete speculation on my part, but it makes sense.
In any case, he doesn't seem to be ably used willy-nilly, even the sports Mario games made by SE don't have him, yet FF characters do show up in those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom