• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, that's a good point. Right now, "no more DLC, the fighter pass is it" is a fan rule until further notice, when things like Fortnite and Diablo get a gorillion seasons, never mind DB Fighter Z having two.

If this update adds new modes, that'll be a definite sign that the hype train ride has just started.
Even Smash 4 got new modes in it's updates (namely the online tourneys). Online stuff is the most likely to be updated in general (and there's already a history of it), not just because of flak directed at it, but because slow burn is generally how Nintendo implements that; they want to see an audience before investing large amounts in fully featured online. Though, I could also see updates to World Of Light in order to better implement the DLC fighters and franchises.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Even Smash 4 got new modes in it's updates (namely the online tourneys). Online stuff is the most likely to be updated in general (and there's already a history of it), not just because of flak directed at it, but because slow burn is generally how Nintendo implements that; they want to see an audience before investing large amounts in fully featured online. Though, I could also see updates to World Of Light in order to better implement the DLC fighters and franchises.
I mean, if some of the DLC characters are already spirits (Shantae, Rayman, Geno) they could just replace their spirit battle with their unlocking battle (tho for Geno and Rayman that would be kind of a downgrade for WOL since a regular fighter natch would not be anywhere near as hard as their spirit battles)

As for the updates I expect to see, I imagine we will get some of the stadium games brought back, particularly Home Run Contest. I mean Sandbag is in the game and it has no real purpose to be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I mean, if some of the DLC characters are already spirits (Shantae, Rayman, Geno) they could just replace their spirit battle with their unlocking battle (tho for Geno and Rayman that would be kind of a downgrade for WOL since a regular fighter natch would not be anywhere near as hard as their spirit battles)

As for the updates I expect to see, I imagine we will get some of the stadium games brought back, particularly Home Run Contest. I mean Sandbag is in the game and it has no real purpose to be.
Its only purpose as of now is just sit there and admire the fights as a item that awards items, not others for high score contests.

At least Smash Flash 2 has the sandbag do more then just absorbing blows.
Screenshot_20190305-211319_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

He helps you test your Miis and controls.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
He helps you test your Miis and controls.
Oh, I hate the miis so i never bothered. Either way, that's a role that originally would have just been filled by a cpu fighter. He deserves to be in the spotlight again, a spotlight bright enough that you can easily hit him with a bat.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Also, market research suggest there aren't many Ice Climbers mains out there...

View attachment 196379
Guess the duo Climbers are having a rough start after returning from their 4 year absence. I'm getting better at them, but my flow with the game itself is still out of sync and I feel like a punching bag. Guess I'm still stuck in Smash 4's flow.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh, I hate the miis so i never bothered. Either way, that's a role that originally would have just been filled by a cpu fighter. He deserves to be in the spotlight again, a spotlight bright enough that you can easily hit him with a bat.
Eh... I have a hard time caring about that mode when no matter how many new characters get added, Ganondorf will always be the best at it. It never changes.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That research is inaccurate, on my end they cost roughly 20 smackers (when adding up the tax for 15$) like every other veteran amiibo.
It was mainly a joke. I was just shocked that the store I was at had all their Ice Climber amiibo (which only came out a few weeks ago) already so heavily discounted. Heck, I bought one just because i would probably never see one that price again and figured I might as well instead of possibly regretting it later (learned that lesson when the very first wave got released and i passed up on a Wii Fit Trainer because one of the seems in her plastic parts weren't completely together)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It was mainly a joke. I was just shocked that the store I was at had all their Ice Climber amiibo (which only came out a few weeks ago) already so heavily discounted. Heck, I bought one just because i would probably never see one that price again and figured I might as well instead of possibly regretting it later (learned that lesson when the very first wave got released and i passed up on a Wii Fit Trainer because one of the seems in her plastic parts weren't completely together)
Speaking of that, I haven't heard of any new stories regarding silly and weird amiibos yet. Also, grab a Rosalina one if you see any, just in case that one certain loon is still after them.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Speaking of that, I haven't heard of any new stories regarding silly and weird amiibos yet. Also, grab a Rosalina one if you see any, just in case that one certain loon is still after them.
I was actually in a Target like last month or so and they just had one Smash Rosalina Amiibo just sitting on one of their shelves. This want a well where new Amiibo had come out it anything and I had been to that Target regularly. The only thing I could figure is one either got lost in their store room just then a someone had one from years ago, then decided to return it and Target was like "sure, he's got the receipt" Anyway I didn't hesitate to get that one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was actually in a Target like last month or so and they just had one Smash Rosalina Amiibo just sitting on one of their shelves. This want a well where new Amiibo had come out it anything and I had been to that Target regularly. The only thing I could figure is one either got lost in their store room just then a someone had one from years ago, then decided to return it and Target was like "sure, he's got the receipt" Anyway I didn't hesitate to get that one.
That's one of the hardest to find. I got the Super Mario series one at that point. Though to be fair, I intentionally waited for the Super Mario Series Wario. I... was never a fan of the WarioWare series generally, though I do like the characters, as they're fun and unique. It's just not a game series that I can get into. That said, I used to really dislike Wario's moveset, but I grew to like it. Even then, I vastly prefer his plumber design. I do like his janky movement, even if he has very little Wario Land stuff. It also helps that Smash 4's customs made some moves funnier.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That's one of the hardest to find. I got the Super Mario series one at that point. Though to be fair, I intentionally waited for the Super Mario Series Wario. I... was never a fan of the WarioWare series generally, though I do like the characters, as they're fun and unique. It's just not a game series that I can get into. That said, I used to really dislike Wario's moveset, but I grew to like it. Even then, I vastly prefer his plumber design. I do like his janky movement, even if he has very little Wario Land stuff. It also helps that Smash 4's customs made some moves funnier.
I really miss custom moves, they added so much to the game not just with variety of moves, but more references. Like mega Man with his skull reflectors or all the different moves Palutena had.

I get what you mean about preferring some Amiibo over Smash counterparts. I did that exact same thing with Yoshi, thinking his Mario series figure looked so much better than the Smash one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really miss custom moves, they added so much to the game not just with variety of moves, but more references. Like mega Man with his skull reflectors or all the different moves Palutena had.

I get what you mean about preferring some Amiibo over Smash counterparts. I did that exact same thing with Yoshi, thinking his Mario series figure looked so much better than the Smash one.
Indeed. Smash doesn't have the favorite iteration of a character you want. I mean, that's normal as well. And some might not like Mario with a fireball in his hand over his more happy appearance.

Though that said, we did get the Silver(effectively Metal Mario) and Gold editions, so that's neat. For similar reasons to the Rosalina thing, I don't need to pick up a Daisy or Inklings amiibo. In most cases, the Smash design... is pretty much identical to the regular one. I do want to find a BOTW Link, though. And MM Young Link.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Indeed. Smash doesn't have the favorite iteration of a character you want. I mean, that's normal as well. And some might not like Mario with a fireball in his hand over his more happy appearance.

Though that said, we did get the Silver(effectively Metal Mario) and Gold editions, so that's neat. For similar reasons to the Rosalina thing, I don't need to pick up a Daisy or Inklings amiibo. In most cases, the Smash design... is pretty much identical to the regular one. I do want to find a BOTW Link, though. And MM Young Link.
When Amiibo first came out my philosophy was "I'm getting my favorite version of each character. No doubles" that went out the window when the Zelda line came out and they have us a dozen different Links.

I bought the Daisy Amiibo when it was on sale thinking "well, she'll never get in Smash, so this is probably the only one she will get" so I'll be getting another one if her... I think I'm realizing I have a problem...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When Amiibo first came out my philosophy was "I'm getting my favorite version of each character. No doubles" that went out the window when the Zelda line came out and they have us a dozen different Links.

I bought the Daisy Amiibo when it was on sale thinking "well, she'll never get in Smash, so this is probably the only one she will get" so I'll be getting another one if her... I think I'm realizing I have a problem...
...Can you start thinking that way about other characters, then? :grin:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
...Can you start thinking that way about other characters, then? :grin:
You mean, to get Shantae in I need to give up on her? But then in giving up on her I would be expecting her to get in so I wouldn't have actually given up so she wouldn't be in which would certainly make me lose hope and give up which gets her in....

*I'm sorry, but we are experiencing technical difficulties, we are working hard to get everything back on working order*

... And that's why a pineapple can never be president. I hope that settles that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Eh... I have a hard time caring about that mode when no matter how many new characters get added, Ganondorf will always be the best at it. It never changes.
Exactly! Ganondorf will always be the king of Home Run Contest.

Also, grab a Rosalina one if you see any, just in case that one certain loon is still after them.
Will do. Can't believe somebody would be dumb enough to buy 100 Amiibos just to burn them all because they don't like the character. Only MarioTehPlumber would have the IQ to do something as dumb as that.

That's one of the hardest to find.
I would say her and Meta Knight are probably the rarest Smash 4 Amiibos and the ones with the least amount of sightings. But besides them, I think the Golden Megaman Amiibo that was bundled with the 3DS version of the Megaman Legacy Collection is the rarest Smash 4 Amiibo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You mean, to get Shantae in I need to give up on her? But then in giving up on her I would be expecting her to get in so I wouldn't have actually given up so she wouldn't be in which would certainly make me lose hope and give up which gets her in....

*I'm sorry, but we are experiencing technical difficulties, we are working hard to get everything back on working order*

... And that's why a pineapple can never be president. I hope that settles that.
I was more joking. But lowering your expectations can do a lot. It's more that some are no-hopers, yet still get in, so lowering expectations seems like it helps at times. I dunno, I said that in the morning. Eh, never mind. Sorry. >.<

I would say her and Meta Knight are probably the rarest Smash 4 Amiibos and the ones with the least amount of sightings. But besides them, I think the Golden Megaman Amiibo that was bundled with the 3DS version of the Megaman Legacy Collection is the rarest Smash 4 Amiibo.
I haven't seen a single Mii Fighter single at all either. I've seen both Clouds, both Bayonettas, even returns of Falcon, Olimar, both R.O.B.'s, etc. Worst part is when you E-Bay one and it gets an easy to find reprint...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I was more joking. But lowering your expectations can do a lot. It's more that some are no-hopers, yet still get in, so lowering expectations seems like it helps at times. I dunno, I said that in the morning. Eh, never mind. Sorry. >.<

I haven't seen a single Mii Fighter single at all either. I've seen both Clouds, both Bayonettas, even returns of Falcon, Olimar, both R.O.B.'s, etc. Worst part is when you E-Bay one and it gets an easy to find reprint...
I was just joking along with you, hence the whole catch twenty two logic loop break down a la Star Trek.

But yeah, you never can tell with Smash. And even tho it can disappoint you a lot, just as often you get nice little surprises that you never would have thoguht possible. Like, I know a lot of people hate her, but I love Daisy and couldn't be happier to finally have her in.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The people in that country, man... they just know. How to capture the true identity of Shantae without necessarily just trying to emulate a game's artstyle as closely as possible.

https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=73344910

If the fanbase in Japan isn't growing by the day, then it is one heck of a dedicated cult.
That is a shocker. Shantae is slowing going around to a lot of people on the internet thanks to her initial spark back in Ultimate as a Spirit. Maybe one day she can join as a actual fighter.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.

Artist: Seana Bombard
D1BEB1RX0AAPpTF.jpeg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The people in that country, man... they just know. How to capture the true identity of Shantae without necessarily just trying to emulate a game's artstyle as closely as possible.

If the fanbase in Japan isn't growing by the day, then it is one heck of a dedicated cult.
That is a shocker. Shantae is slowing going around to a lot of people on the internet thanks to her initial spark back in Ultimate as a Spirit. Maybe one day she can join as a actual fighter.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.

Artist: Seana Bombard
View attachment 196679
Yeah, out of every character in the indie scene I feel she has the strongest chance of getting in, even compared to Quote and Marisa.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Well, Shantae's art style is inspired by Japanese anime after all, so it makes sense they would know how to do her justice.

Yeah, out of every character in the indie scene I feel she has the strongest chance of getting in, even compared to Quote and Marisa.
Or even Reimu in my opinion. I always thought in my mind that Shantae was the front runner of the potential Indie characters to ever get into the Smash roster. I mean, I know everybody was saying Shovel Knight was the most likely because of his popularity in the west, but Shantae has a few brownie points in her favor that I see that always gave her the edge over Shovel Knight such as:

1. She has 4 games, while Shovel Knight has only had 1.

2. 2 of her games were originally Nintendo exclusives before going multiplatform.

3. She has seniority over Shovel Knight.

4. She is more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight.

5. She has greater moveset potential than Shovel Knight.

Plus if you add the female votes from the Ballot to add that greater degree to her chances, that probaby would give her the push to be chosen. It wouldn't surprise me if she was chosen over Shovel Knight and is 1 of the 4 remaining Season Pass fighters, but only time will tell.

Dukefire

Smash Master
From that, I only hear of Reimu. Even then, whenever I see someone mention her, they don't get any replies; other times just "who?"
Out of all touhou character, Reimu the Shrine Madain is the only that stands out for me and Sakuya the time stopping maid.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, Shantae's art style is inspired by Japanese anime after all, so it makes sense they would know how to do her justice.

Or even Reimu in my opinion. I always thought in my mind that Shantae was the front runner of the potential Indie characters to ever get into the Smash roster. I mean, I know everybody was saying Shovel Knight was the most likely because of his popularity in the west, but Shantae has a few brownie points in her favor that I see that always gave her the edge over Shovel Knight such as:

2. 2 of her games were originally Nintendo exclusives before going multiplatform.

Plus if you add the female votes from the Ballot to add that greater degree to her chances, that probaby would give her the push to be chosen. It wouldn't surprise me if she was chosen over Shovel Knight and is 1 of the 4 remaining Season Pass fighters, but only time will tell.
I guess it's interesting to see the gradual transition from Sailor Moon tall builds to more standard shonen ones. But the games didn't really feel anime outside of that until Pirate's Curse; your initially, seemingly weak protagonist that ultimately succeeds against impossible odds with a combination of hard work, determination and friendship. Then Half-Genie Hero goes all episodic (with filler depending on who you ask) on us.

Nintendo clearly holds her in high regard (last I saw the Wii U eshop had her headlining platforming games); whatever happens next with the series it's likely they'll support it whatever way they can. Even if it's just exclusive Switch content in an otherwise multiplat game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry, I somehow mixed both Reimu and Marisa up...:facepalm:

I hardly think she'll get in the pass, but any DLC beyond that is certainly possible for a chance of her being considered, as long as the ballot results occasionally get pooled from.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Admittedly, that depends on what the results actually were.
Well, it already looks likely that it won't be so simple as just working their way down the most requested. Joker feels like a "me" pick on Sakurai's part considering he didn't even exist at the time of the ballot and Sakurai's noted passion for his game (Rex, Pyra and Mythra feel like near shoo-ins for a second wave for similar reasons). Any reason for a character getting in is possible, including things like wanting someone from an indie.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Well, it already looks likely that it won't be so simple as just working their way down the most requested. Joker feels like a "me" pick on Sakurai's part considering he didn't even exist at the time of the ballot and Sakurai's noted passion for his game (Rex, Pyra and Mythra feel like near shoo-ins for a second wave for similar reasons). Any reason for a character getting in is possible, including things like wanting someone from an indie.
I still feel like we are getting at least some sort of XB2 rep. Just not Rex maybe.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It wouldn’t make sense if it wasn’t Rex, that’s like if Tifa was the FF rep instead of Cloud.
This. I don't care how much of a fan rule it is, but unless it's a weird case like Pokémon, protagonists go first.

If it was for ARMS I'd understand, but I can't begin to think how this can even work for XB2.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Joker didn't exist during the time of the ballot. Just to note. Nor did Rex, etc. Elma did, if I remember right. So whether Joker got in due to Sakurai or Nintendo or whatever, it's not ballot-related regardless. DLC could still be, but not every one can be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
...Joker didn't exist during the time of the ballot. Just to note. Nor did Rex, etc. Elma did, if I remember right. So whether Joker got in due to Sakurai or Nintendo or whatever, it's not ballot-related regardless. DLC could still be, but not every one can be.
There has to be a balance between fan pick and Official selections with other companies.

You can't have too much on one side or else it won't taste the same in the long run

Top Bottom