• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still find it comical that Into the Breach somehow has enough clout to have its own "one more thing" reveal in one of the Nindies directs. It's a good game, but not exactly one I would call notorious enough to be treated differently.
Most Nindies are brand new IPs and have no notoriety by default :p.

Anyway, I wouldn't say there's any real rhyme or reason to what gets a ''one last thing'' reveal, outside Smash character reveals.

D

Deleted member

Hey remember the guy who made the smashified characters like shantae?

Well.....
Let’s Consider this an upgrade to smashified shantae

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
(Hands together, Sharp Inhale) BOY.
WE HAVE NO IDEA AS TO WHAT SMASHIFIED IS PLAYING AT THE MOMENT.
DON'T POST SCRAP LIKE THAT UNTIL WE GET SOMETHING SOLID.

No hard feelings, dude. Just got a little frustrated, that's all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guess what time it is?
There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

Guess what time it is?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I know!

It’s time for you to type!
:ultmario:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Which has nothing to do with how Directs are done. Nindies have nothing to do with Smash itself, which is a regular Nintendo product. So they keep it out of it because it's such a massively known series that people would barely care about the rest. It's not contradictory. They're just different situations. Seeing Smash alongside your game will not promote it. Seeing your game content in Smash will. You're acting like they are the same thing. Smash overshadows tons of games due to how huge it is in reality.

Except it wouldn't really do much for the actual games within the Direct. Because those were the important part, not just a Smash character. They're trying to draw people to the game in itself. How can they do that if Smash overshadows the rest of the DQ content? Actual DQ fans(not just people who might be interested after seeing good information) are going to buy it anyway. But if you want new viewers, you don't let anything overshadow your current video content. The reality is, major Smash information overshadows any Direct because of its massive influence. This'll continue to happen as is as long as the series exists.

A character getting in Smash will promote their game, but only after people actually play Smash. That's where all the stuff is. The trailer's key point is to appeal to Smash fans first and foremost. Or those who are already fans of the IP the character is from. Cloud's trailer wasn't to promote FFVII. It was to promote Smash Bros. itself by making people hyped for the character in question. Imagine if you aren't already a FF fan. The trailer won't do anything for you. And for good reasons. It's not designed to do so. At best it might explain a thing or two to the FF fans about how Cloud works(in which case it did), but it would not really make anyone care about FFVII either. They're focused on Smash. This is why Smash overshadows other games with its announcements as well. It's because it's not designed to really promote other games, even within the trailers. Appealing to the fans of a franchise is not necessarily promoting the franchise as is. Now, it can be done that way. But it has to be intentional, like Isabelle's reveal was tied into the reveal for AC Switch. But that's pretty much... the only time where they used Smash's own trailer to promote a game without overshadowing it. However, this is also DQ, which is niche in the US but also godly in Japan. It's too risky to try and overshadow it. Even if Erdrick(or Slime, etc.) were revealed, the DQ stuff alone wouldn't be talked about nearly as much. Even the casual Smash fanbase doesn't talk much about stuff other than Smash during directs. It's pretty much always the biggest highlight of a direct as long as any gameplay or a trailer is shown(hence why few cared about the Smash information in the last direct, but it's still heavily talked about as is anyway).

The hardcore Smash fans aren't necessarily Nintendo fans. Some just care about the 3rd party options alone, which is the reason they even got interested in it. That's why some are willing to buy a Nintendo system just for Smash. Smash fans are not inherently Nintendo fans anyway. Not when it appeals to more than just Nintendo fans(which is part of why 3rd parties exist, to gather multiple players who don't own Nintendo systems. It's meant to be a gaming crossover at this point, as said by the man himself. A lot changed).

Even if Smash wasn't almost the entire focus of E3 it would've still overshadowed it heavily. It had Ridley, for cripes' sake. That was enough alone. It didn't need to have 'Everyone is here". It already had a huge reveal that immediately changed everything. The rest was a bonus at that point, really. Smash Character announcements are pretty much always going to be the biggest deal of any direct, but it's only going to be a big deal in the context of Smash(as in, to be clear, it will only actually promote Smash in itself with people not caring nearly as much what games the character comes from... if they aren't already fans of that series), nothing else. As I said above, it isn't going to help people care about the franchise a character is from just by having an announcement or trailer alone. Only if the game is talked about as well, or promoted alongside of it in a similar manner(like with AC Switch) will it not entirely overshadow it. Though really, Isabelle's reveal easily overshadowed AC Switch's announcement anyway. Which was inevitable.
Sigh...I disagree. But we'll just be going in circles if I say anything else.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, I sometimes wonder if Shantae's transformations could take some inspiration from Donkey Kong Country's animal buddies. I know I'd love to have Squitter's web platforms on Half-Genie Hero spider...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You know, I sometimes wonder if Shantae's transformations could take some inspiration from Donkey Kong Country's animal buddies. I know I'd love to have Squitter's web platforms on Half-Genie Hero spider...
Squitter was OP in that game if you knew what to do with him.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Squitter was OP in that game if you knew what to do with him.
...kind of? The games do a good job of limiting it's potential in most circumstances, and even when it doesn't it tends to make you miss out on stuff. A stricter limit on the platforms would be an easy fix.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>absolutely everything in regards to SK: Treasure Trove's current stuff has been delayed
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.jpg

You know, I have to feel for Yacht Club, they'll need lots of sales to recover from that little snag and be able to eventually move on to something else (seriously, they've been on Shovel Knight since 2014). Makes me all the more grateful that HGH did have all the stuff for it finished and released.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm feeling bad for Yacht Club's amiibo delay. I hope that they have something else in the bag later once the series is done. Doing one alone can only go so far

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Man seems like YCG is screwed if after King of Cards thyey cant like immediately move on to a non Shovel Knight IP for themselves.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
About a month or so. I watched the Direct at least, but as far as the thread goes I assume nothing new? Just business as usual?
Pretty much. Maybe I am not the best person to ask since my memory get's a bit faulty when I am tired, so maybe someone else can go into more detail.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That's the thing. Guesswork is more effective than being an insider. Accuracy may vary, but it's more reliable than "sources".
I've heard a leak saying Joker debuted at end of an April smash bros. Direct and the other four are Shantae, B&K, Dirk and Dragonborn.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:|

I want a shantae amiibo
Shantae would probably have an amazing Amiibo and I wish she was in Smash as a playable character. I still have a tiny bit of hope she could be one of the four remaining Season Pass fighters because of us not getting any other female characters from the Ballot besides Bayonetta. I'm positive we will get another female Ballot pick because of the gender option that was in the Ballot, and if we do get another girl, I'm certain it will be Shantae.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae would probably have an amazing Amiibo and I wish she was in Smash as a playable character. I still have a tiny bit of hope she could be one of the four remaining Season Pass fighters because of us not getting any other female characters from the Ballot besides Bayonetta. I'm positive we will get another female Ballot pick because of the gender option that was in the Ballot, and if we do get another girl, I'm certain it will be Shantae.
You mean, besides male/female pairs of avatars, right? Female Corrin ended up being the more popular of the two anyway...

I'd like to rethink my previous ideas for improving spider Shantae; giving it's rope ceiling grappling capabilities like Samus's would go a long way to giving it more use, with the bonus of such a move easily translating to Smash.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a Shantae Artwork tonight

Artist: kwark85
All we can do is still dream till the end
Dreaming_of_being_one_of_the_Five!_by_kwark85.jpg

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
No news on the Shantae front huh? I guess it will be like that for some time.

Off-topic I know, but has anyone else had problems where some games don't work?
I played a bit of Travis Strikes Back on saturday and it worked fine. I tried plaing the game today and the screen was black (docked and handheld, physical version of the game). Smash and Mario Kart 8 worked just fine. Tried a hard reset and everything.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yes Dragon's Lair Dirk the Daring
Huh, that would be a pretty awesome line up for me, but it fells a little all over the place.

I mean, Dirk certainly has his place in video game history, but the nature of his history is so out there compared to everyone else already in the game. Also I would be so down for a dragon born especially if some of the skins are Kahjit and Argonian.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No news on the Shantae front huh? I guess it will be like that for some time.

Off-topic I know, but has anyone else had problems where some games don't work?
I played a bit of Travis Strikes Back on saturday and it worked fine. I tried plaing the game today and the screen was black (docked and handheld, physical version of the game). Smash and Mario Kart 8 worked just fine. Tried a hard reset and everything.
I don't expect anything to start happening until WF's work on Bloodstained allows that game to come out safely. In the meantime, let's just hope that PC and HGH continue to get steady sales.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't expect anything to start happening until WF's work on Bloodstained allows that game to come out safely. In the meantime, let's just hope that PC and HGH continue to get steady sales.
It will be released in the summer, so we got 4-5 months to wait. Its best to let the game go at its best rather then its worst with bugs and glitches.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It will be released in the summer, so we got 4-5 months to wait. Its best to let the game go at its best rather then its worst with bugs and glitches.
Yeah, especially considering how long it's taken until now. Last thing we need is another Mighty Number 9.

Delayed game is eventually good, bad game's bad forever, and all.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You mean, besides male/female pairs of avatars, right? Female Corrin ended up being the more popular of the two anyway...
There's no way Corrin was chosen from the Ballot, she was definitely a promotial pick all the way.

I've heard a leak saying Joker debuted at end of an April smash bros. Direct and the other four are Shantae, B&K, Dirk and Dragonborn.
Banjo & Kazooie and Shantae? Yes! I hope that leak is real, but I'm 99% percent sure it's fake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom