• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
maybe it was too much to hope for A Non-Japanese Character from A Non-Japanese series to be introduced to smash
It's not over yet. There are rumors about who the other DLC 4 are, but they are only that, rumors.

Anything could happen including future DLC past the season pass.

D

Deleted member

Man I just posted the shantae smash picture you guys posted earlier on Ifunny with the whole shantae for smash dlc thing next thing people start bringing the hurt on me with “spirits deconfirm” thing then I deleted it to prevent more of those comments. Come to think of it The smash fan base hasent always the same anymore don’t you think?
:urg:

Last edited by a moderator:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
It's not over yet. There are rumors about who the other DLC 4 are, but they are only that, rumors.

there's no telling if there will be more dlc beyond the five set....i hope there will be but you can never tell

there's just a lot of hurdles shantae has to jump through considering she's not exactly the most requested character or highly thought of in regards to gaming

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
there's no telling if there will be more dlc beyond the five set....i hope there will be but you can never tell

there's just a lot of hurdles shantae has to jump through considering she's not exactly the most requested character or highly thought of in regards to gaming
But she has a lot going for her too. For example, her being a spirit is proof that requests for her did well enough to get Nintendo and Sakurai's attention. Then go further on how spirits can't deconfirm without also eliminating the chances for many other super popular requests like Geno, Dixie, Bandana Dee. Then consider how may 3rd party franchises are represented without having a fighter/assist and she is n a very select group along side Rayman and maybe a few others.

I'm not saying she is a lock, but she is definitely a front runner all things considered. I mean if they do a second season that means around 9 DLC characters we haven't seen yet (the remaining four from this season included, that is) I'd say it would be pretty hard to pick 9 characters above Shantae In line of being added (even harder if Sakurai chooses not to upgrade any assists)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Even if you do believe the rumors, isn't Doomguy and his series very much a western one?

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Even if you do believe the rumors, isn't Doomguy and his series very much a western one?
Yeah, he is. Maybe they're thinking about adding in different characters that appeal to different audiences? Like how Dark Samus was a western pick and Chrom was an eastern pick. Also, happy page 666 since we're talking about Doomguy.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, he is. Maybe they're thinking about adding in different characters that appeal to different audiences? Like how Dark Samus was a western pick and Chrom was an eastern pick. Also, happy page 666 since we're talking about Doomguy.
I remember seeing somewhere a rumor of Shantae reveal (not necessarily Smash related) on Jan 10th? Like someone hinted they knew something.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I remember seeing somewhere a rumor of Shantae reveal (not necessarily Smash related) on Jan 10th? Like someone hinted they knew something.
I don't really believe in rumors, but everyone and their pet cat is saying a Nintendo Direct is coming soon. I can believe that at least.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Best to wait until Nintendo announces another Direct. That will pull the rumor storm down to the ground,

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Who knows, but regardless of regional popularity Doom is pretty much the granddaddy of first-person shooters, just as Street Fighter is the granddaddy of fighting games.

I don't really believe in rumors, but everyone and their pet cat is saying a Nintendo Direct is coming soon. I can believe that at least.
It was a mini direct last year in January, wasn't it?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, after looking up hints for the Ninten and Baby Bowser fights and finding out they were both incredibly cheesable (like laughably so) I think i am now done with the Spirit Board as nothing new is showing up at all.

Nothing left but a few primary and support spirits that must be attached to challenges and then like 60 fighter spirits.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Y'all should know better than to give in to Smash rumors by now, especially when they claim Shantae will be revealed. It's likely that she's thrown in there by a few haters to get us edged up.

D

Deleted member

Y'all should know better than to give in to Smash rumors by now, especially when they claim Shantae will be revealed. It's likely that she's thrown in there by a few haters to get us edged up.
**** the haters!
E968739B-2CD8-4E2E-B45D-8E01B46AA7A2.jpeg

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Who knows, but regardless of regional popularity Doom is pretty much the granddaddy of first-person shooters, just as Street Fighter is the granddaddy of fighting games.

It was a mini direct last year in January, wasn't it?
Yeah, just looked it up. There was indeed a Direct Mini. Honestly it's just a safe move to assume a January Direct, so anyone thinking because a leak says Jan doesn't mean much.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Yeah, just looked it up. There was indeed a Direct Mini. Honestly it's just a safe move to assume a January Direct, so anyone thinking because a leak says Jan doesn't mean much.
Is this mini direct supposed to show on the 10th like everyone for some reason hoping for? Or another day. I like watching any of Nintendos directs. It has something in them that I will eventually like they will show.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Is this mini direct supposed to show on the 10th like everyone for some reason hoping for? Or another day. I like watching any of Nintendos directs. It has something in them that I will eventually like they will show.
I have no clue. It's just been making the rounds, like some are saying around the 10th to the 14th range. Nothing official has been said so far.

D

Deleted member

Guys let’s be honest what do you think what music track best suits shantaes spirit battle?
Because using the mob smash theme insted of a generic track to fit the spirit seems fishy to me imo

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
maybe it was too much to hope for A Non-Japanese Character from A Non-Japanese series to be introduced to smash
What're you talking about? Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Rayman are all in the game in some shape or form.

You know, funnily enough one of those rumors has Western IPs such contradicts his statement even further.

Not that I believe it either, but if that's what has him worried, then yikes.
Then go further on how spirits can't deconfirm without also eliminating the chances for many other super popular requests like Geno, Dixie, Bandana Dee.
Ummmm, Geno is 3rd party, so I don't see why you put him with the others. And there was never any gurantee they were getting in. Not to mention there are other notable characters who don't have spirits in the game anyway for when it comes to Season 1.

Not to mention the limitless potential of 3rd party DLC not yet represented in Smash. Speaking of which.
Then consider how may 3rd party franchises are represented without having a fighter/assist and she is n a very select group along side Rayman and maybe a few others.
This is good logic to follow for later DLC, but not Season 1. Also, doesn't this contradict the notion of spirits meaning nothing?
Because using the mob smash theme insted of a generic track to fit the spirit seems fishy to me imo
Yeah, I'm sure it's fishy along with that Rathalos picture that totally confirmed Isaac.

You're reading too much into it again. :U

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
What're you talking about? Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Rayman are all in the game in some shape or form.

You know, funnily enough one of those rumors has Western IPs such contradicts his statement even further.

Not that I believe it either, but if that's what has him worried, then yikes.

Ummmm, Geno is 3rd party, so I don't see why you put him with the others. And there was never any gurantee they were getting in. Not to mention there are other notable characters who don't have spirits in the game anyway for when it comes to Season 1
I think Koopa King means playable west character made from a west game company.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was about to say :ultkrool: is a western pick by the sense of his origin. But now I know you were talking about who was more requested on both sides of the world which, :ultkrool: was on top everywhere.

I think Koopa King means playable west character made from a west game company.
What in the world are you taking about?! oO

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Good on you guys for actually being supportive for so long.

Ive done research on a lot of characters who are requested but I literally do not see in any way how Shantae would possibly be included.
That's just me and my pessimism though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi.

Even if we dont know the chances for shantae, it doesnt stop being a fan and wanting her in smash :)
At this point I may be more excited about a potential new shantae game, but the dream of her being in smash is still alive :)

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I was about to say :ultkrool: is a western pick by the sense of his origin. But now I know you were talking about who was more requested on both sides of the world which, :ultkrool: was on top everywhere.

What in the world are you taking about?! oO
Happens when I'm tired and trying to sound smart, but instead sound dumb.

But anywho.... Anyone read this article yet? https://screenrant.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-characters-good-bad/ . Nothing new that we already know, but it definitely has a lot of fans feelings about these leaks.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Hi.

Even if we dont know the chances for shantae, it doesnt stop being a fan and wanting her in smash :)
At this point I may be more excited about a potential new shantae game, but the dream of her being in smash is still alive :)
I want to bring this point up actually. I would love for Shantae to be in Smash, but I feel ultimately this may be because I want more people to know about her. We should be supporting Shantae much more as a series then as a potential Smash character. Honestly I can't wait to see what WayFoward has up their sleeves for the next title.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That'd be incredibly underwhelming for me, but understandable due to advertising being a rampant thing these days.
One person's shameless advertising is another person's treasure. And if they're not being trashed for being ''promotional'', it's for being ''irrelevant'' or ''not big enough'' instead.

Even those that are highly requested but don't have new games on the horizon can carry the risk of a slippery slope, at least in the developer's eyes, of fans moving on to demanding more games/appearances of said character and their franchise.

I want to bring this point up actually. I would love for Shantae to be in Smash, but I feel ultimately this may be because I want more people to know about her. We should be supporting Shantae much more as a series then as a potential Smash character. Honestly I can't wait to see what WayFoward has up their sleeves for the next title.
Inb4 Shantae ends up being revealed around the announcement/release of a new Shantae game and everyone accuses her of being a mere promotional pick...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just want more shantae, period :D
And I want more smash characters :)

Also, your avatar is one of my favorite characters. And I know your user name is from there too :)

D

Deleted member

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I just want more shantae, period :D
And I want more smash characters :)

Also, your avatar is one of my favorite characters. And I know your user name is from there too :)
Aw shucks, thanks. She's my favorite character to draw. My other avatars I used didn't give that away too much I hope, heh.
EDIT: I'm not very good by the way. I'm just a simple pencil drawer when I'm bored, haven't even shown anyone my work.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You mean the monster hunter world arena reference?
https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/arena
We don't have confirmation that it was a reference to anything. The point is that similar to this music theory of yours, fans assumed it was a clue for something, and look what happened.
eculations and arguments down please
All I'm doing is pointing out the issues, with it being a stretch. I mean, you've been arguing that spirits don't mean squat, but now you're going off something as vague as a simple music choice? Doct you think that seems a bit hypocritical?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Sorry I haven’t been around that much lately, been frequenting other threads, but I’ve been keeping up with the thread, and the discussion of a new Shantae game brought this to my mind. What kind of story arcs or scenarios would you guys like to see not just Shantae but any of the characters go through?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sorry I haven’t been around that much lately, been frequenting other threads, but I’ve been keeping up with the thread, and the discussion of a new Shantae game brought this to my mind. What kind of story arcs or scenarios would you guys like to see not just Shantae but any of the characters go through?
The end of Half-Genie Hero doesn't exactly leave a lot to the imagination...

Bolo is trying to open and run a dojo for would-be heroes, Sky has or is about to send Wrench to see his family wherever they may be, Rottytops is travelling with the zombie caravan and Shantae may or may not have taken her up on her offer to travel with her (meanwhile her brothers have taken up residence in Hypno Baron's castle). Oh, and she probably has a bicycle now thanks to Uncle Mimic. Not to mention that scrapped redemption arc for Risky, which will most likely address the lingering corruption to dark magic brought up by Hypno Baron.

The seeds of potential story arcs have already been sown. It's now just a matter of when and how they'll be told. If Wayforward's feeling really ambitious they may very well each have their own campaign (Shantae travelling with Rottytops would be a good solo opportunity for Bolo to hold down Scuttle Town until her return).

Dukefire

Smash Master
what I can recap the story for the Shantae Series

GBC: Shantae and Risky had their first encounter with each other. Also, Risky's plan of using the 4 elemental stones to power a steam engine to rule Sequin Land. Shantae taps into her Genie Magic and had a chance to become a full fledged Genie after destorying the Giant Mecha Tinkerbat and the Final Fight with Risky, but turned them down to stay with her friends.

DSI Risky's Revenge: Risky steals the Magic Lamp Artifact that Mimic uncovers to use it for her own use. Shantae gathers the 3 magical seals to prevent Risky from using the Lamp's power. Upon fighting Risky, she uses the lamp to steal all of Shantae's genie magic (and not imprisonment since she is a Half Genie). The Lamp used the stolen magic to make Nega Shantae in the final fight and Shantae was forced to kill her magic counterpart. Upon the dark version's defeat, Shantae is now fully human and Risky retreated back to the seven seas to plan a new scheme.

3DS Pirate's Curse: With Shantae now being fully human, she still has her duties as Scuttle Town's Guardian. However, the Genie's long enemy, The Pirate Master, is start to call his original crew to come back as his magic strength is returning. Upon Shantae being fired from being a guardian again (how many times can the mayor screw up for his town?!), she was greeted by Risky again with her questions the whereabout of her weapons. Not long she finds out her old master is returning with the tinkerbats turning into Cacklebats thanks to the dark magic. With that, Shantae and Risky team up to stop the Pirate Master from returning. Eventually, the Pirate Master returned to spread darkness to sequin land with Risky captured and waiting at Scuttle town's Castle for Shantae (the ending depends if you collected all of the dark magic or not.) In the final confrontation against the Pirate Master, he requests a trade: the dark magic for Risky's life. Upon the trade, Shantae finds out that her magic was not destroyed after the last battle and used to finish the Pirate Master one and for all.

Wii U & Switch Half Genie Hero: Shantae had a Dream of the Genies contacting her about a disaster coming for the Genie Realm and she wanted to know about her mother's whereabouts. Waking up, Mimic was designing a weapon to let shantae have a break from her guardian duties. It didn't take long before Risky made her next attack towards the town and a Tinkerbat stole the plans. Shantae performing her duties, she defeat risky and retrieved the plans back. There, she was tasked to get the parts for Mimic's invention and was fired as a Guardian Again (Again with this Mayor Scuttlebutt?!). With having to save a village and the Mermaids, retrieving all of Scuttle Town's Memories, Stopping a Magic Carpet theft, and defeating the enemy of unspeakable horror (no.....its just Squid Barron), she retrieve the parts for the invention. Though the invention was actually meant for risky to use by inverting Light Magic to Dark. (With DLC, there is an alternative story with Risky and her friends reaching out to Shantae during her Dark Magic corruption. Also different endings if you did all the Barron's side quest to get a Magic Converter made by Mimic or not). Reaching Risky's Hideout, she tried to stop the Dynamo to enter the Genie Realm and corrupt the Genies. With the Dynamo having control over the Genie realm, she had no choice but to destroy the Dynamo and the Genie realm. Upon the Dynamo's destruction, Shantae and Risky fled from the Volcano Hideout. (Again, the ending is different if you did the Barron's errands or not. Its if Shantae does or doesn't know about the fate of the Genie Realm after the Dynamo being destroyed.)

???: That is up to Wayforward on the next entry in the series.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I guess we can always look forward to actually getting to meet Shantae's parents in some shape or form, potentially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom