• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

grizby2

Smash Lord
looks like we got joker. so this was nintendos first pick eh?

looks to me that they're gonna pick characters that they simply think look cool. none of this cooperate "they need to make money out of a deal" nonsense. as far as I know, Nintendo aint getting much out of including a persona character into smash bros. I really hope a certain indie girl is on their list <3

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I GOT SHANTAE'S SPIRIT IN THE OTHER SPIRIT MODE AREA!!!!! Not in the WoL.

GOING TO LEVEL HER UP AND THEN START WoL.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Persona wasn't my first pick for potential DLC characters, and I am pleasantly surprised. I hope this leads to Persona 5 coming to the Switch.

My Season Pass purchase already feels worth it. Going to lengths this extreme means Sakurai and Nintendo are doing it for the art, and they're breaking boundaries I never thought possible. My hope for Shantae has just tripled.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I GOT SHANTAE'S SPIRIT IN THE OTHER SPIRIT MODE AREA!!!!! Not in the WoL.

GOING TO LEVEL HER UP AND THEN START WoL.
That's interesting, so World of Light spirits and the ones from the Spirit Board are not necessarily exclusively found in one or the other?

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Just woke up and saw the news. didnt see it coming. funny and original jokes aside my stance on joker is the same as k rool: dont know much to care about him, but i know people wanted him in, so im happy theyre happy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As the guy who's the most likely to post Joker memes around this board...

I have no regrets with this announcement. Not a single one.

05011552.jpg

looks like we got joker. so this was nintendos first pick eh?

looks to me that they're gonna pick characters that they simply think look cool. none of this cooperate "they need to make money out of a deal" nonsense. as far as I know, Nintendo aint getting much out of including a persona character into smash bros. I really hope a certain indie girl is on their list <3
I'm glad they got good taste in Persona characters, at the very least. Logic would normally dictate that they go after the most well-known ones (P3 and P4 leads), but went for the pick that fans agree would fit.

While I'm still unsure as to what direction the DLC period will take, the fact that big-name icons aren't the be-all end-all of third party picks is reassuring. If a guy who uses a persona is seen as realisable, that paints a rather interesting picture for what's coming next in terms of overall additions, first-party or not. Though I still hope the next person is a first-party, to try and balance things a little.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dont know how I feel about Joker.... This might be the first time where I don't buy the season pass. Hopefully something else can wow me to get the pass.
Huh, well i never expected that. Anyway, I guess I don't need to get the fighter pass now.
If having characters you really like is a requirement for you to buy them, I don't see how one would even consider getting the pass.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Never paid much attention to Persona. When I first saw gameplay of...uhh... whichever one it was, it seemed like a kind of futuristic-esque anime-styled hack and slash near some kind of college campus/University etc. Foggy memory of it.

Curious to see how he plays, though.

I guess Nintendo picked only 3rd party reps? Or maybe just him. And apparently Reggie said there would be multiple waves of DLC? I don't recall hearing that, but I hope it's true, especially if Shantae isn't in the remaining four.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Playing with the Joy-Con does feel odd, but I can adjust. Still, not the same without GameCube controller

Dukefire

Smash Master
Reggie did say for their picks on DLC
We are offering new favors to the series, so New Series, Unexpected Choices.

Meaning Shantae is now on the hit or miss mark since she is somewhat on everyone's radar, but not enough for everyone to understand. Still, be ready if she doesn't go further once the Fighter Pass is over.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Just got the game. The fights are sooo smooth ! I never enjoyed a smash game more than this one... Now I need to unlock Daisy, Bayo and Chrom... And Shantae's spirit. Her absence as a fighter still makes this game seem like it's lacking a little somethign in my heart...

As for Joker, I barely know his series but I'm very hyped regardless. He seems like such a cool character and I'm glad to see such series being represented !

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Morning peeps.

Limited Run for Pirate's Curse is already sold out in just 4 minutes...Wow. I knew these sort of things went fast, but that's still a lot faster than I expected. Though I suppose I should have expected as much given that it's limited runs of fan favorite games after all.

D

Deleted member

When Reggie said that these characters will be new to the series
Shantae is a spirit and she’s not new anymore

Should we be worried?

Edit: nvm he was talking about fighters not other representation so her chances are still up there

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Surprised by the joker announcement. Reallly cool, tho not one of my faves.
Hope everyone enjoys the game :)

I think the interesting choice for a character can give some chance to characters like shantae too :)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Morning peeps.

Limited Run for Pirate's Curse is already sold out in just 4 minutes...Wow. I knew these sort of things went fast, but that's still a lot faster than I expected. Though I suppose I should have expected as much given that it's limited runs of fan favorite games after all.
All of Limited Run's releases, are sold out way too fast...

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Well heads up to anyone still looking to get the Collector's Edition or Pirate's Booty Bundle of Pirate's Curse. More will be available for pre-order in roughly 6 hours. So if you missed it this morning you've got another chance to get it at 6PM EST/ 3PM PST/ 11PM GMT

The regular physical copy is still readily available for the time being.

If you've already got a Limited Run account (if not then I suggest making one if you really want to get hold of a copy before they sell out again), I suggest logging in 15-20 minutes early and going directly to the product page for whatever version of PC you want. Refresh the page when there's 1-2 seconds left and immediately add it to your cart the second the page loads up again.

If you set up a shipping address before hand then even better, it makes for a faster checkout just in case. I managed to luck out by doing so.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well heads up to anyone still looking to get the Collector's Edition or Pirate's Booty Bundle of Pirate's Curse. More will be available for pre-order in roughly 6 hours. So if you missed it this morning you've got another chance to get it at 6PM EST/ 3PM PST/ 11PM GMT

The regular physical copy is still readily available for the time being.
I don't think I'm gonna be able to get it, then... :(

D

Deleted member

Guys

Aperently persona 5 has referenced smash before he was announced

That means jammies mode Is not a coincidence anymore:)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
TBH; A Indie character seems inevitable in this season pass, at least to me. I know for a fact that's one of the way's Nintendo could easily diversify the roster to unexpected new corners of gaming, like Reggie said. Whether Shantae or Quote; I think things are looking good for the Indies

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'd say Reggi's statement of "New series unexpected choices boosts Shantae's chances. To take a huge negative and invert it, everywhere on the internet what are most people saying even now and ever since she got discussion for Smash, "she has NO chance". People will NOT expect her.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Got my physical copy of Smash. Just need to finish my shift at work.

Going for the Shantae spirit as fast as I can.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Surprised by the joker announcement. Reallly cool, tho not one of my faves.
Hope everyone enjoys the game :)

I think the interesting choice for a character can give some chance to characters like shantae too :)
The Sylux boards have mentioned how revealing Joker the way they did was a smart move for getting that ''wow'' factor to the gaming community at large. With that in mind does anyone think Shantae would fit better with a direct's target audience?

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Sylux boards have mentioned how revealing Joker the way they did was a smart move for getting that ''wow'' factor to the gaming community at large. With that in mind does anyone think Shantae would fit better with a direct's target audience?
Maybe in another Nindies direct? Though not a lot of people usually watches that one compared to the usual.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Something about Reggie's saying at the Game Awards.

View attachment 182119
He actually just said characters new to the series, not that they would be from new games/franchises.

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-speculation-discussion.453424/page-105#post-22812616

He could've simply meant "no echoes" if he actually said "entirely new" (from what I've seen people say) or characters that feel new/new movesets.

Or it was just human error and he meant no veterans, because the game's selling point slipped his mind.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If having characters you really like is a requirement for you to buy them, I don't see how one would even consider getting the pass.
I mean, I'm sure there will be lots of people who are really excited about all the characters picked for the dlc, but my tastes are a bit more discerning. I haven't played any of the persona or SMT games, and like Cloud I don;t believe Joker has payed his Nintendo Dues to earn the right, but that's only me.

Here's hoping the next announcement is far more appealing to my personal tastes.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Another thing from the internet about Persona 5's impact in Smash Ultimate

View attachment 182121
These folks need to wake up and face the facts that he's a pipe dream that's not coming.

There are certain rules I feel Sakurai will not break, that being included those not originating from video games.

Cause I feel that would destroy Smash Bros being a celebration of this specific medium as a whole.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
These folks need to wake up and face the facts that he's a pipe dream that's not coming.

There are certain rules I feel Sakurai will not break, that being included those not originating from video games.

Cause I feel that would destroy Smash Bros being a celebration of this specific medium as a whole.
Yeah, if non video game characters become an option, then where do you stop? Sure some people would say Goku is deserving, but What about Batman? Or the Ninja Turtles? Or freakin' Jackie Chan?! I mean, there are just so many people/properties that would need to be considered if that rule were eliminated.

D

Deleted member

Another thing from the internet about Persona 5's impact in Smash Ultimate

View attachment 182121
CF8B6380-E869-497A-82F1-3542A80ABFC2.jpeg

Sakurai even said no manga/anime characters
I'd say Reggi's statement of "New series unexpected choices boosts Shantae's chances. To take a huge negative and invert it, everywhere on the internet what are most people saying even now and ever since she got discussion for Smash, "she has NO chance". People will NOT expect her.
Imagine the amount of salt gamefaqs would produce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 182127

Sakurai even said no manga/anime characters
But they just added Jojo into Smash.
images.png

In all seriousness Smash is a game celebrating video games and their characters. If you want a fighting game for Manga and Anime just play Jump Force that game has it's own mega crossover but nobody seems to care and just wants Smash representation.

Just let each media have their own areas to shine instead of having them bleed into each other

Last edited:
Top Bottom