• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ladies and gentlemen........We did it
Wait, we beat 2B?! I knew Shantae would get high, but 2B seemed like an impossible wall to get past. This really shows the star power Shantae has been able to gain in recent years.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not a fan of the How to Play remix tbh. It sounds like they tried to force the idea of making it sound more "intense" or "epic", and overall I don't think it delivers on that front. The choir just doesn't fit imo.
Because it wasn't unnecessarily intense and epic for a tutorial theme already? Even if you think the choir doesn't really add anything it's still pretty much the same at heart and thus gets the same feelings across.

EarlTamm EarlTamm Ever since that last direct, it seems like Shantae is winning at every fan poll.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Ladies and gentlemen........We did it
Well. Last time I looked, she was being beaten by all of those except DDLC, so holy crap, the masses must've finally come to the plate! A Nendo isn't my preferred way to get a Shantae figure, but it would be absolutely adorbs anyways!

D

Deleted member

Well, technically, Shantae didn't win the poll itself... it was actually Final Fantasy. In fact, Shantae came fifth, behind DDLC, Phoenix Wright, NieR, and FF.

It was only when accounting the votes, from Twitter, that Shantae became first. :)
Are you sure about that chief?

I am totally getting this thing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Because it wasn't unnecessarily intense and epic for a tutorial theme already? Even if you think the choir doesn't really add anything it's still pretty much the same at heart and thus gets the same feelings across.

EarlTamm EarlTamm Ever since that last direct, it seems like Shantae is winning at every fan poll.
Fair point, though I never really got that vibe from it before. It has always been a high energy theme, but the choir (imo) adds another layer on top of that. It's one of those things where it's familiar, but there's one thing that feels different enough to change it in a way that you can't help but feel like it's a little off. I'll probably get used to it after a few more listens, it just wasn't the direction I was expecting them to take. Funny too, given that, as you pointed out, very little was actually changed.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Smash Flame is now at a point where it can't be doused.
WE......ARE.......SO........CLOSE.

Sorry to putting it early, but what the heck.

Mr. Video Game Himself

Capture+_2018-12-05-19-43-53.png

D

Deleted member

Now that shantae won all they have to do is talk to wf and matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So how would everyone feel if Shantae got revealed during VGA tomorrow for Smash?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So how would everyone feel if Shantae got revealed during VGA tomorrow for Smash?
I would be immensely happy. But frankly I don't think she has a shot in smash.

Matt and the entire fandom was pestering the Smash team to put her in (the most out of any company I can think of, the most that we usually get is a quick mention, like with Sora and banjo.) And all we got out of it were two stickers. Seems fair enough

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
I've come to accept the cold hard fact that she wasn't and will never be considered for Ultimate.

Perhaps the next installment...five years from now.

Least the bear and bird will cheer me up if and when they get confirmed.

Seems that third parties truly do needed to leave a huge impact to make the cut and that Bayo will be the only special case since her inclusion greatly benefited Ninty as a whole.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would be immensely happy. But frankly I don't think she has a shot in smash.

Matt and the entire fandom was pestering the Smash team to put her in (the most out of any company I can think of, the most that we usually get is a quick mention, like with Sora and banjo.) And all we got out of it were two stickers. Seems fair enough
The thing is, there's kind of a lot of game characters to compete against, so it was going to be a raw deal no matter what. That she got acknowledged was a miracle. Even if WF's spirits will probably be crushed for half a decade, which is a bit appropriate, considering how Shantae loses self-esteem sometimes.

It's still more than what Cave Story got, it has absolutely bupkis in Smash even though all of its rereleases remained exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Even just a Quote spirit would have been enough. And ComanderVideo has been removed for no reason at all.

Though it begs the question of how Shovel Knight got slightly more content when his game is a lot more recent.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Seems that third parties truly do needed to leave a huge impact to make the cut and that Bayo will be the only special case since her inclusion greatly benefited Ninty as a whole.
Yeah that's what I've Come to accept, Bayonetta is an exception because while she herself didn't leave an impact, her creator certainly did. The man's a legend.

The true outlier here is Ritcher, I'm pretty sure he's only in because of the meme associated with him.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When I said there must be balance between positivity and skepticism a while back, I didn't realize how literally the world took it with this equal-opposite reaction to the recent good Shantae news.

You'd almost think nendoroids deconfirm now.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Remember: try not to use fan rules. Even Sakurai will eventually run out of big name third-parties (let alone Japanese ones).

When I said there must be balance between positivity and skepticism a while back, I didn't realize how literally the world took it with this equal-opposite reaction to the recent good Shantae news.

You'd almost think nendoroids deconfirm now.
Yeah, at the very least they should strongly support the series in the meantime, meanwhile the Banjo-Kazooie fanbase has had a mostly terrible anniversary for theirs up to now. The main thing is Shantae has to rise from niche status enough so more people notice.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Remember: try not to use fan rules. Even Sakurai will eventually run out of big name third-parties (let alone Japanese ones).

Yeah, at the very least they should strongly support the series in the meantime, meanwhile the Banjo-Kazooie fanbase has had a mostly terrible anniversary for theirs up to now. The main thing is Shantae has to rise from niche status enough so more people notice.
Monster Hunter is probably the only real feasible big-name japanese third-party left (Square is not being very cooperative).

Everything we do, should be done to improve Shantae's standing as a whole. It's a win-win scenario: either she gets in Smash and receives a big boost in popularity that leads to more sales and games, or she continues to release progressively bigger and better games which increase the odds of getting in Smash (and have more potential to draw from for a moveset).

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its all a mystery of her fate. Sakurai is already thinking one step further with having ideas outside of the box.

The best we can do is continue cheering on and hope its enough. If not, be glad she has her foot in the door as a ACE Support Spirit

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only real big name third parties I can really think of that are left are Crash, Spyro, Banjo, Lara and a character from Mortal Kombat.

I don't know if that last one is even possible but that's one of those series that truly left an impact on gaming as a whole. Also it would be weird in a funny way.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The only Japanese third-party I could see that isn’t a 2nd or 3rd franchise from a company already in the game is Ninja Gaiden.

The only real big name third parties I can really think of that are left are Crash, Spyro, Banjo, Lara and a character from Mortal Kombat.

I don't know if that last one is even possible but that's one of those series that truly left an impact on gaming as a whole. Also it would be weird in a funny way.
I know Crash is on the Switch now but I don’t know how willing PlayStation or Activision would be to put Crash or Spyro now that they’ve started making their comebacks, Lara is owned by Square now so I don’t know how her odds would stack up against the other possible Square reps, and I don’t see a MK rep for what should be obvious reasons, but considering Bayonetta’s source material, who knows?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So I know this isn’t as exciting of an idea for Classic Mode for Shantae as my last idea, but hear me out. Can you guess the theme of this one?

Stage 1: :ultgnw: in Flat Zone X
Stage 2: :ultdaisy: & :ultwario: in Golden Plains
Stage 3: :ultkirby: & :ultkingdedede:in Dream Land GB
Stage 4: :ultpikachu:, :ultjigglypuff: &:ultpokemontrainer: in Saffron City
Stage 5: :ultdarkpit: in Reset Bomb Forest
Stage 6: :ultrobin:, :ultchrom: & :ultlucina: in Arena Ferox
Boss: Master Hand

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So I know this isn’t as exciting of an idea for Classic Mode for Shantae as my last idea, but hear me out. Can you guess the theme of this one?

Stage 1: :ultgnw: in Flat Zone X
Stage 2: :ultdaisy: & :ultwario: in Golden Plains
Stage 3: :ultkirby: & :ultkingdedede:in Dream Land GB
Stage 4: :ultpikachu:, :ultjigglypuff: &:ultpokemontrainer: in Saffron City
Stage 5: :ultdarkpit: in Reset Bomb Forest
Stage 6: :ultrobin:, :ultchrom: & :ultlucina: in Arena Ferox
Boss: Master Hand
Uhh... is it supposed to be, "the history of portable gaming", or something along the lines of that?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Uhh... is it supposed to be, "the history of portable gaming", or something along the lines of that?
You got it! The title I had in mind was “Portable and on the Move” or something that sounds better. Basically just a reference to Shantae’s roots as a series on Nintendo’s handhelds. I did something similar on the Banjo-Kazooie thread with N64 titles.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Top Bottom