• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh, that does sound pretty difficult to obtain. I'd say it'll pop up on some Japanese auction site some time though.

And, where'll you be getting new pictures of her from?
I look when i can think of it. And i can just take pictures of my collection from my phone

I have some too :D wood elves
I play Sisters of battle, but i don't buy any new ones. too expensive. I got all mine as a gift. full army of them

D

Deleted member

On the conversation of Vee doing voicework for Ultimate, remember that she doesn't necessarily have to record new voice lines if they include Shantae as a character since they can just reuse her voice lines from HGH. This is something that I am 99% sure they did with the Black Knight and Tiki AT's as their voicelines sound identical to the ones they have in FEH. Now I believe she would need to sign a contract allowing Nintendo to use the lines she recorded so she would be aware of the contract at least but she doesn't necessarily need to do any actual voicework.
Are you sure? She might need new lines for victory screens.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I've always kinda wanted one of those figurines, but ugh money. And on the subject of voice work, I think nintendo would have vee do new lines for shantae.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
If you don't believe me about Snake...

I mean, it's an old video, sure.
But the information is still correct.
I could clearly hear Snake saying new lines, just from gameplay-footage.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Steve really isn't an indie now.

As for the rest, I've said this before, but Shantae is the best choice for a Nindie rep OVERALL.
Yes, she's not as revolutionary as Quote, she's not as breakout popular as Shovel Knight, and she's not as pure to Nintendo as Commander Video. But she beats them all when taking those factors as a whole into account.
She's still a huge success story starting as a mediocre GBC game before returning years later and climbing her way up to notoriety and eventually standing out as one of the most successful game Kickstarters.
She's still majorly popular, landing high places in polls just like Shovel Knight and even having figures and stuff made despite her indie status.
She's still got an incredibly deep connection to Nintendo with 3/4 of her games starting as Nintendo exclusives and being used by Nintendo in various advertising.
People refuse to see the forest for the trees. Shantae may not be the biggest, but she covers the most ground.
The one thing I have to disagree strongly about is characterizing her GBC game as "mediocre". Some aspects of it may not have aged super well, but overall it's an excellent game, one of the best on the GBC, and my personal favorite of the Shantae series.

Other than that I agree with you. Also all those arguments against Shantae are basically outdated now. Even "indies can't be in Smash" has lost its bite, thanks to her prominently featured Spirit battle and Shovel Knight's Assist Trophy.

The most common argument now is that she can't be a playable character if Shovel Knight isn't, but that's just a way of saying, "Shovel Knight is more deserving/realistic", for which there are plenty of counterarguments.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
1.the original indie.
2.that just boosts her odds and spirits don’t decomfirm.
3.minecraft isn’t indie anymore and banjos getting in before he dose
4.so is :ultzss:,:ultkingdedede:,:ultpalutena:,:ultshulk:,and:ultbayonetta:.
All terrible excuses by them :p

It was a fan made plushie only sold at 1 convention in japan and had a very limited store run

Maybe this weekend i'll get new pictures.

My friends paint their warhammers
Steve really isn't an indie now.

As for the rest, I've said this before, but Shantae is the best choice for a Nindie rep OVERALL.
Yes, she's not as revolutionary as Quote, she's not as breakout popular as Shovel Knight, and she's not as pure to Nintendo as Commander Video. But she beats them all when taking those factors as a whole into account.
She's still a huge success story starting as a mediocre GBC game before returning years later and climbing her way up to notoriety and eventually standing out as one of the most successful game Kickstarters.
She's still majorly popular, landing high places in polls just like Shovel Knight and even having figures and stuff made despite her indie status.
She's still got an incredibly deep connection to Nintendo with 3/4 of her games starting as Nintendo exclusives and being used by Nintendo in various advertising.
People refuse to see the forest for the trees. Shantae may not be the biggest, but she covers the most ground.
Thank you, I needed to hear someone talk a bit of sense.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So not sure if you guys knew, but there is a really cool mod that gives Zelda a shantae skin, complete with Shantae voice lines.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
How is the waiting period so far?

Mine is average.
For the game or for Shantae to be announced for DLC?

The wait to know if she's gonna be DLC is agonizing, as we don't even know when they're gonna start showing off DLC. The wait for the game...is fine. I'm roughly kinda indifferent because work keeps me busy enough that I know this month will fly by.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone get a screenshot of Matt Bozon's first tweet before he deleted it? (The one with the 4 out of 5 DLCs hashtag)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something about Squid Baron's dilemma in Pirate's Curse made me think of this:

Shantae: "Oh fuss and fret!"
Squid Baron: "Shantae? I haven't seen you in a while. What's up?"
Shantae: "Oh you know. Small Indie Syndrome."
Squid Baron: "I don't follow."
Shantae: "You know, I've always felt welcome with that big eastern company, but now that they're organizing another big tournament... I feel like I'm just gonna... BE there... just to round out the... package..."
Squid Baron: "..."
Shantae: "You... would understand, huh?"
Squid Baron: "Answer me this. How much Nindie marketing space have you covered? How high did you get on the polls? About 10, right? Top 10?"
Squid Baron: "Spirit. It's your destiny. I can see it now."
Shantae: "But it's scary, Squid Baron!"
Squid Baron: "For you and me both. But you can't run from fate! You're going to be the best spirit of all time! Overused jokes! References! All of it! It'll be another chapter in your illustrious story that is your life, just like our battle in that musty old tomb was for me!"
Shantae: "...You're right, Squid Baron! No matter what happens, I just have to give it my all! Gosh, you can be really nice when you want to be!"
Squid Baron: "Don't mention it. And when you hit the big time... Squid Baron's gonna be a household name! I just know it!"
Shantae: "Now there's the old Squid I know."

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Everything ok here? I skim and see buckets and dogs with sheets on 'em.
Probably not cause for concern, but i'm just wondering how everyone's doing :)

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Hey everyone, just a heads up on this vote if you are interested. You will have to sign up for the site, though to vote.

While I'd prefer other figure types, ie. figma or even just a Funko action figure like the Disney Afternoon figures they've done, I'd totally buy a Shantae Nendoroid! Any excuse to have a figure of Shantae!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ive uncovered a dark secret about that piranha plant:
http://instagr.am/p/Bp7rtodDuHG/
Ya know, I just realized something...

With the addition of Simon we have the whole Captain N crew reunited. Mother Brain has also returned as an assist and Mother Brain in Captain N was voiced by the same actor who voiced Audrey II, and look at who we’re comparing Pirahna Plant to...

COINCIDENCE?
40DC34A6-3E0A-4E26-AF2F-5BE9675EDC08.jpeg

...maybe.

Everything ok here? I skim and see buckets and dogs with sheets on 'em.
Probably not cause for concern, but i'm just wondering how everyone's doing :)
Frankly I don’t see how you’d take this as a cause for concern
19853B2F-E4E3-4FB0-B8A4-ABC9795D6354.jpeg

But yeah, just a slow day today.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ya know, I just realized something...

With the addition of Simon we have the whole Captain N crew reunited. Mother Brain has also returned as an assist and Mother Brain in Captain N was voiced by the same actor who voiced Audrey II, and look at who we’re comparing Pirahna Plant to...

COINCIDENCE?
View attachment 176744

...maybe.

Frankly I don’t see how you’d take this as a cause for concern
View attachment 176741

But yeah, just a slow day today.
What are you talking about?

Top Bottom