• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Im getting back into Team Fortress 2, and I must know... what Shantae sound effect/voice line would be best to use for a hitsound/killsound?

I would love to find a way to fit "Ret-2-go" somewhere.
Probably one of her “Oh yeah!” clips, dunno about that other one unless you’re able to set a clip for when you enter or respawn

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Probably one of her “Oh yeah!” clips, dunno about that other one unless you’re able to set a clip for when you enter or respawn
Im off to bed.

Ultimately, I decided on a gem collecting noise for the hitsound, and the good ol' "RET-2-GO!" for the killsound. Luckily its really easy to change if I ever get a bit tired of constant **CLINGCLINGCLINGCLINGCLINGCLINGCLING-Ret2Go!-CLINGCLINGCLINGCLING**

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oof, I feel bad for Cristina Vee. Everyone's harassing her for any bit of info they can think of. Like she said, people are reading too much into it and I think it's really bothering her. I saw a similar tweet in the Elma thread made by someone who worked on the Xeno games that essentially said "Hey everybody, stop reading into innocuous tweets."

Edit: Actually, I think she said "Being in Smash is a dream." specifically to try and tell people that she's not in it.
Thank you for telling me

So uhhh is this bad?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I don't care, I'm still expecting her to be playable till the very end and nothing will make me change my mindset. :D

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hmm, you know, the poll at the top of the page here is now a little... outdated, you could say.

I wonder what the new one could be, could it be something regarding if she'd make it in as DLC, or maybe it could have more to do with the Shantae games themselves?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know one thing Sakurai didn't show in the direct? Break the targets or Board the platforms or home run derby.... are those gone?

Yeah, Susie’s a pretty nice addition, can’t wait to play as her in her mech. I also audibly freaked out when I saw that Magalor could summon a mini rideable Lor Starcutter!! Sold! Just sold.
Well, um, I had a dumb thought, because, I assume she wouldn't be wearing her normal attire while under the water, right...

Would she put her bikini on then too? :p

Haha, yeah, Susie's great. :)
Never played planet robo but Susie has made it tempting...

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Didnt yacht club say the same thing about shovel knight being in, that it would be a dream come true? I dont where the tweet is bit im 75% sure its somewhere in this 600 page maze.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I find it interesting that Shantae got in as just a spirit with only the level of popularity given her by Pirate's Curse. Her popularity now is MUCH much higher now, isn't it?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I find it interesting that Shantae got in as just a spirit with only the level of popularity given her by Pirate's Curse. Her popularity now is MUCH much higher now, isn't it?
Whether famous or infamous(by haters) her name is spread throughout the internet right now.

I just hope it will be enough to get Nintendo's attention(then again she does represent 3DS Indies on their banner so...) and in turn put her as part of the list for Sakurai to choose.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Question.
For DLC would you want them to be immediately unlocked or would you still want to find them in the game on order to unlock them?
I genuinely enjoy unlocking characters, but I was curious how others felt.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Question.
For DLC would you want them to be immediately unlocked or would you still want to find them in the game on order to unlock them?
How about both? Buying the character gives you immediate access to them in normal play, but to get them in World Of Light you must clear a new challenge. It's not like they only give you Kirby to start in normal play as opposed to the original 8.

It could also serve to ''explain'' why a character only available as a spirit previously has become playable.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind unlocking DLC-Characters.
Though I can see why many people wouldn't like that.

You bought them, so why having to do some puzzle or something even after that, until you get your chance to play them?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wouldn't mind unlocking DLC-Characters.
Though I can see why many people wouldn't like that.

You bought them, so why having to do some puzzle or something even after that, until you get your chance to play them?
Most Monster Hunter games give you DLC gear for free... once you've grinded the quests that give the components for them.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
True, but we're talking about paid DLC here.
With DLC you paid for, I can see why people don't want to unlock it, after you paid for it already.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Lmao these threads are juicy. My personal favorite comment was that the Shantae fandom is "astroturfed", as if we're all paid to be here or something. It's amazing how some people contort themselves to rationalize away the popularity of a character they don't like in the face of overwhelming evidence.

In fairness to GameFAQs, plenty of people even in those threads are pointing out how dumb that mindset is.

Show me please what’s his username?
Not sure if this is your intention but let's not go brigading people on other platforms.

Question.
Perhaps there could be a general setting under "Options" for DLC characters that you can toggle between "Normal unlocking" and "Automatically unlocked"? I'm not even sure which option I would use myself. On the one hand I enjoy unlocking characters too, and doing a cool little set of Spirit scenarios in the World of Light to reach a new character would be fun. On the other hand, by the time any of these DLC characters drop in Ultimate, I feel like I'm going to be kind of over the whole unlocking thing for that game.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, just a heads up on this vote if you are interested. You will have to sign up for the site, though to vote.

As long as they didn't only give Shantae the Nendoroid treatment, this'd be pretty cool.

The more Rotty merch, the better. :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, just a heads up on this vote if you are interested. You will have to sign up for the site, though to vote.

As much as I want Shantae to win, thats some STEEP compition with Bayonetta and 2B

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice

Oh maaaaaan! I signed up specifically to vote, 'cause a Shantae Nendo would be adorable <3
I hope she wins, I really like Nendoroids, I've got one with me and a couple preordered. Plus some sorta poseable figure for Shantae would be so neat!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh maaaaaan! I signed up specifically to vote, 'cause a Shantae Nendo would be adorable <3
I hope she wins, I really like Nendoroids, I've got one with me and a couple preordered. Plus some sorta poseable figure for Shantae would be so neat!
Been a member of MyFIgureCollection for years. Most of my figures I have is listed on my page actually. Not all of them, need to do some updating.

https://myfigurecollection.net/profile/zferolie

If you guys want to see them :)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Been a member of MyFIgureCollection for years. Most of my figures I have is listed on my page actually. Not all of them, need to do some updating.

Hey, that's a nice collection. :)

Well, that Squigly figure there definitely caught my eye. And some of those Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou figures look good too. :)
Also, wait, are those Touhou plush toys?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey, that's a nice collection. :)

Well, that Squigly figure there definitely caught my eye. And some of those Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou figures look good too. :)
Also, wait, are those Touhou plush toys?
I still need to paint and put together the Monster musume and Skullgirl kits I have. I am afraid to do it myself and tempted to hire someone.

And yes I got a ton of touhou plushies

zferolie

Smash Hero
I expect that's the same with your Shantae figures then, too?

And, I didn't even know Touhou plushies existed! Are they expensive?
The Shantae figures already come painted(save for small things like eyebrows), but I still need to put them together. This incolves taking the peices apart from their board, shaving off excess plastic, and glueing. I think I can do that myself and thats a good stepping stone to doing full garage kits, but still not confident in my painting skills to make Rachnera look as good as she deserves.

They weren't too expensive. I had to find them at cons, from japan, and websites.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice

Wow! You've got me super beat :D I've got like 4 figs and then some amiibo. Haven't even really set up a thing on that site that much as of yet. Just an account and the one nendoroid I own

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Is it just me or are people just trying to look for reasons to say no to Shantae. I keep hearing
1. She’s an indie
2. If shovel knight didn’t get in she has no chance
3. Steve is a better indie choice.
4. She’s too “sexual”

zferolie

Smash Hero
I should really look into them then. :)

Could be fun to try and collect.
There is 1 I am really trying to find but its near impossible. This Okuu one.

https://myfigurecollection.net/item/130333

Wow! You've got me super beat :D I've got like 4 figs and then some amiibo. Haven't even really set up a thing on that site that much as of yet. Just an account and the one nendoroid I own
Been collecting for over 10 years now I beleive. You should see my house. So many figures!

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Question.
The character will be automatically unlocked by purchasing, there's no doubt about that. World of Light is already a really large meaty mode that'll likely take at least 4-5 hours to beat just from the stuff we've seen so far (not much, but still like twice as long as SSE was). They won't be adding stuff to it.

I do, however, think they'll be adding large amounts of Spirits to the Spirit Board as Free DLC with or without the DLC characters bought. The Spirits Board seems to be a super flexible mode that they could easily put new Spirit Battles into the random pile it pulls from. And if those Spirit Battles have fights with DLC characters (say, a Weepinbell Spirit using a Piranha Plant as it's puppet), then they can act as a kind of free advertising for the DLC, same as whenever you would fight a DLC character you haven't bought yet online.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
There is 1 I am really trying to find but its near impossible. This Okuu one.

https://myfigurecollection.net/item/130333

Been collecting for over 10 years now I beleive. You should see my house. So many figures!
Hmm, do you know the reason for it's rarity? And yeah, I'd love to see how your figures are displayed! :D

(Also, damn, now I wish I actually had pictures of my collections that I could show here... :/)

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Personally I have a few figures too and I'm very fond of painting miniatures haha
( I know this is completely out of topic but it still makes the thread bigger xD )

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is it just me or are people just trying to look for reasons to say no to Shantae. I keep hearing
1. She’s an indie
4. She’s too “sexual”
All terrible excuses by them :p

Hmm, do you know the reason for it's rarity? And yeah, I'd love to see how your figures are displayed! :D

(Also, damn, now I wish I actually had pictures of my collections that I could show here... :/)
It was a fan made plushie only sold at 1 convention in japan and had a very limited store run

Maybe this weekend i'll get new pictures.

Personally I have a few figures too and I'm very fond of painting miniatures haha
( I know this is completely out of topic but it still makes the thread bigger xD )
My friends paint their warhammers

D

Deleted member

1. She’s an indie
4. She’s too “sexual”
1.the original indie.
2.that just boosts her odds and spirits don’t decomfirm.
3.minecraft isn’t indie anymore and banjos getting in before he dose
4.so is :ultzss:,:ultkingdedede:,:ultpalutena:,:ultshulk:,and:ultbayonetta:.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Going on the topic of figures, I have a small and nice figure collection of Figmas, Sh Figuarts, WWE Mattel Elite, Marvel Select, and Marvel Legends figures in my collection.

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
1. She’s an indie
4. She’s too “sexual”
Steve really isn't an indie now.

As for the rest, I've said this before, but Shantae is the best choice for a Nindie rep OVERALL.
Yes, she's not as revolutionary as Quote, she's not as breakout popular as Shovel Knight, and she's not as pure to Nintendo as Commander Video. But she beats them all when taking those factors as a whole into account.
She's still a huge success story starting as a mediocre GBC game before returning years later and climbing her way up to notoriety and eventually standing out as one of the most successful game Kickstarters.
She's still majorly popular, landing high places in polls just like Shovel Knight and even having figures and stuff made despite her indie status.
She's still got an incredibly deep connection to Nintendo with 3/4 of her games starting as Nintendo exclusives and being used by Nintendo in various advertising.
People refuse to see the forest for the trees. Shantae may not be the biggest, but she covers the most ground.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
On the conversation of Vee doing voicework for Ultimate, remember that she doesn't necessarily have to record new voice lines if they include Shantae as a character since they can just reuse her voice lines from HGH. This is something that I am 99% sure they did with the Black Knight and Tiki AT's as their voicelines sound identical to the ones they have in FEH. Now I believe she would need to sign a contract allowing Nintendo to use the lines she recorded so she would be aware of the contract at least but she doesn't necessarily need to do any actual voicework.

Top Bottom