• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well on the front of popularity, I'd say Shantae has grown but is still somewhat niche.
But, I will say that WF would probably agree to very low profits on it, just to get her in. So I'll at least say that nintendo would have something tempting there.
I do think there's still plenty of choices to go before her. But who says Nintendo is entirely for the profits? If they were they wouldnt have let sakurai have total reign of the characters before that.
Something I notice in some of Smash 4's picks is that when a company wants a character marketed in Smash, they try their damnednest to make that character worth marketing. Game Freak designed Greninja with full intention of approaching Sakurai with him as a playable character, and Corrin's arguments had more to do with his/her unique traits than "we're marketing this game, and we don't care if you think he/she's lame, do it." It's a stark contrast to Donte in Playstation All-Stars. The worst Nintendo's ever done to Sakurai was push him to get Melee ready for the Gamecube's launch.

At the end of the day Nintendo knows more about their upcoming games than we do, and can be just as unpredictable as Sakurai. Maybe Edelgard will have a really special axe to use in her game, or maybe magic in Three Houses works differently than in other Fire Emblem games. Maybe Sylux will pull out all sorts of crazy, stolen Federation tech to use in battle, or we'll be blindsided by a completely new character in Prime 4. Pokemon... well come on, it's freaking Pokemon and the whole point is that you never know what kind of creature you'll see next. I know I won't be upset to see new Pokemon when I enjoy playing more than half of them.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I will say with talks of a pokemon rep as DLC... please let it be a Grass type. We've got two fully evolved fire types and one fully evolved water type, and yet my favourite starter type hasn't got its day yet ;~;
(Yeah there's Ivysaur and Squirtle, but they're not fully evolved or anything :( )

Last edited:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I will say with talks of a pokemon rep as DLC... please let it be a Grass type. We've got two fully evolved fire types and one fully evolved water type, and yet my favourite starter type hasn't got its day yet ;~;
(Yeah there's Ivysaur and Squirtle, but they're not fully evolved or anything :( )
Just give me a 3rd gen pokemon starter and ill be happy, Though i kinda dont want more pokemon characters. BUt I agree if we do get another one it should be a grass type.

zferolie

Smash Hero
A little comic here:

That is a great comic. got a source for it so I can reblog or retweet or anything?

I'm just sitting here wanting a playable ghost type.

Just give me a 3rd gen pokemon starter and ill be happy, Though i kinda dont want more pokemon characters. BUt I agree if we do get another one it should be a grass type.
if we get a gen 8 pokemon, which who knows may be likely. i am guessing it would probably be one of the starters, or maybe the mascot/legendary

D

Deleted member

Hey look another shantaexsamus fan.......OH F*** SHE HAS A GUN!!!!!
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think you all are in decent shape. When Nintendo chooses characters, it's done for promotional reasons and all four of Shantae's games are readily available on the 3DS and Switch eShop meaning they get a cut of the profits for any sale.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Japan likes Fire Emblem. It's promotion for the new game (assuming at the time of release), and an axe wielder (with possibly magic too) would be unique.
You can hate on the pick, but it's still a likely choice, imo.
That said, it may be anybody's game. time will tell ;p
Well if we must have an axe wielding femme fatale, why not Camilla? The majority of FE reps here are veterans anyway so why stop at Chrom?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thank ya!

This tweet makes it clear that it's not over for Shantae yet https://twitter.com/Unit__NineS/status/1060013828744900608?s=09
Yeah, i think right now anything could happen. I do think certain characters have little chance though, like Bandana Waddle Dee and Geno, but shantae is still in the clear due to her having all her games on the system and maybe there is a planned new game coming that is switch and PC only that could drum up sales if she is in smash. Plus Sakurai still has final say, meaning its not just forced to use 5, but he gets a bunch and picks who he thinks works. Nintendo may still push for certain things though, like a FE character seems very likely(Hopefully that ax girl), but I don't think we will get a Gen 8 pokemon as that still may be way too new for him to know who may work. With Greninja and Incineroar, he still had a year or more after the games release before the smash game launched to fine tune the moveset, but with a gen 8 at most he will have 3 months, which seems way too short.

I think you all are in decent shape. When Nintendo chooses characters, it's done for promotional reasons and all four of Shantae's games are readily available on the 3DS and Switch eShop meaning they get a cut of the profits for any sale.
Yup exactly. Shantae is still safe.

Thank you

Welp I’m outa here
I'll beleive it when I see it ;)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Thank ya!

Yeah, i think right now anything could happen. I do think certain characters have little chance though, like Bandana Waddle Dee and Geno, but shantae is still in the clear due to her having all her games on the system and maybe there is a planned new game coming that is switch and PC only that could drum up sales if she is in smash. Plus Sakurai still has final say, meaning its not just forced to use 5, but he gets a bunch and picks who he thinks works. Nintendo may still push for certain things though, like a FE character seems very likely(Hopefully that ax girl), but I don't think we will get a Gen 8 pokemon as that still may be way too new for him to know who may work. With Greninja and Incineroar, he still had a year or more after the games release before the smash game launched to fine tune the moveset, but with a gen 8 at most he will have 3 months, which seems way too short.

Yup exactly. Shantae is still safe.

I'll beleive it when I see it ;)
No, it doesn't spell the end for Geno or Bandana Dee either. Vergeben has been consistent on a SE rep joining as the first DLC character of the season pass, and Geno is by far the most likely/probable based on various factors.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No, it doesn't spell the end for Geno or Bandana Dee either. Vergeben has been consistent on a SE rep joining as the first DLC character of the season pass, and Geno is by far the most likely/probable based on various factors.
I would disagree on geno. Yes I am sure a SE character is coming, but the more logical choices would be Slime from Dragon Quest, or Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Both of those are ongoing current series with current games being made. DQ in particular is SE's biggest franchise in Japan and is the grandfather of all JRPG's. It would make more sense to put a DQ rep in then Geno, who only had 1 game and honestly is only popular to diehard nintendo fans and Sakurai Himself. If Nintendo gave Sakurai the choice to Geno, he would grab it, but would SE and Nintendo give him that choice?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would disagree on geno. Yes I am sure a SE character is coming, but the more logical choices would be Slime from Dragon Quest, or Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Both of those are ongoing current series with current games being made. DQ in particular is SE's biggest franchise in Japan and is the grandfather of all JRPG's. It would make more sense to put a DQ rep in then Geno, who only had 1 game and honestly is only popular to diehard nintendo fans and Sakurai Himself. If Nintendo gave Sakurai the choice to Geno, he would grab it, but would SE and Nintendo give him that choice?
But would they really pull the mook card twice in a row? And would Nintendo choose Sora when the third game is not coming to the Switch? With Geno, they could get profit i the long term if it leads to a SMRPG revival. There is a Square team that is working exclusively on Switch games like Octopath.

zferolie

Smash Hero
But would they really pull the mook card twice in a row? And would Nintendo choose Sora when the third game is not coming to the Switch? With Geno, they could get profit i the long term if it leads to a SMRPG revival. There is a Square team that is working exclusively on Switch games like Octopath.
The Mook is the face of the DQ series, so yes. We also could get one of the main protags but Slime feels more likely.

Only way Geno is in is if Nintendo wants to give sakurai the character he really wants, and if he polled high.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The Mook is the face of the DQ series, so yes. We also could get one of the main protags but Slime feels more likely.

Only way Geno is in is if Nintendo wants to give sakurai the character he really wants, and if he polled high.
They did acknowledge the games 22nd anniversary, put it on the SNES Classic and Geno has consistantly done well on polls. Heck, he was third on that one brawl poll back in the day, with first and third being Sonic and Megaman respectively.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
So I guess we have the four most likely possibilities for a Square Rep
1. Geno
2. Slime
3. Sora if Disney permits Square to give the ok.
4. Sephiroth 'cause he shares a rivalry with Cloud and if they ever go with the Hero v Villain theme again for a trailer, it MIGHT happen.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So we have four possibilities for a Square Rep
1. Geno
2. Slime
3. Sora if Disney permits Square to give the ok.
4. Sephiroth 'cause he shares a rivalry with Cloud and if they ever go with the Hero v Villain theme again for a trailer, it MIGHT happen.
The Dragon Quest rep doesn't necessarily have to be a slime, there's tons of Dragon Quest protagonists that could potentially be fighters.

I also wouldn't really say we have only four possibilities for a Square rep, technically there are hundreds of characters that could become the next Square rep, however unlikely some of them may be. I think you'd be better off saying "the four most likely possibilities". :)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The Dragon Quest rep doesn't necessarily have to be a slime, there's tons of Dragon Quest protagonists that could potentially be fighters.

I also wouldn't really say we have only four possibilities for a Square rep, technically there are hundreds of characters that could become the next Square rep, however unlikely some of them may be. I think you'd be better off saying "the four most likely possibilities". :)
Alright. Gotcha.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If we're on the subject of SE reps I think this is what we're working with in terms of "likely"* choices.

Three most likely

- a Dragon Quest character; it's Dragon Quest.

- Geno; while Nintendo chose the DLC characters, I'm sure they know there's demand for this character and possibly included him among the suggestions they gave to Sakurai. And with Sakurai having final say, I think he might have chosen him after having him as a consideration he's wanted to include since Brawl.

- another Final Fantasy character; could be someone else from VII like Tifa or a character from a different entry. FF is such a big series that another rep could work just as well as introducing a new Square franchise.

Possible but much less likely

- a Bravely Default character; not their biggest franchise, but still a respectable one, and a Nintendo exclusive (though I don't that helps it that much unless there are plans for a new game to release on Switch in the next few years)

Wild cards

- Sora; there's definitely a large demand for Sora, but this depends on whether Nintendo is open to working with Disney and even if negotiations start, how well those negotiations go is hard to say.

If Disney insists on including other Disney content then I could see such a deal falling through. Some would also argue that Sora without anything Disney related (like Donald and Goofy as Spirits or something) wouldn't feel like proper KH representation. If Sakurai considers this angle, he might be less likely to chose Sora (provided he's an option to begin with.)

- Chrono; I honestly don't think he's very likely as I doubt he's one of the options Sakurai was given. However, if he is an option, I could still see him as a possibility given how cherished a title Chrono Trigger is. He's a classic character from one of the most beloved RPGs/Super Nintendo titles. Given Sakurai's penchant for the unexpected I could see a situation where Chrono gets picked over more discussed/expected characters like someone from DQ. He'd be a surprise to many while also being an icon in his own right that still gets people excited.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Stephano Stephano what rule did it say for 3rd party’s in the arguments part of the spreadsheet?

still granblue ain’t happening chief not tied with Nintendo

Nvm stephano found it

“The only rule that has ever been in place is that the character must originate from a video game and, prefereably, that they have some history with Nitntendo, no matter how minor.”
You can have the spreadsheet. I don’t need it anymore.
Bye everyone

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
If we're on the subject of SE reps I think this is what we're working with in terms of "likely"* choices.

Three most likely

- Geno; while Nintendo chose the DLC characters, I'm sure they know there's demand for this character and possibly included him among the suggestions they gave to Sakurai. And with Sakurai having final say, I think he might have chosen him after having him as a consideration he's wanted to include since Brawl.

- another Final Fantasy character; could be someone else from VII like Tifa or a character from a different entry. FF is such a big series that another rep could work just as well as introducing a new Square franchise.

- a Bravely Default character; not their biggest franchise, but still a respectable one, and a Nintendo exclusive (though I don't that helps it that much unless there are plans for a new game to release on Switch in the next few years)

Wild cards

- Sora; there's definitely a large demand for Sora, but this depends on whether Nintendo is open to working with Disney and even if negotiations start, how well those negotiations go is hard to say.

If Disney insists on including other Disney content then I could see such a deal falling through. Some would also argue that Sora without anything Disney related (like Donald and Goofy as Spirits or something) wouldn't feel like proper KH representation. If Sakurai considers this angle, he might be less likely to chose Sora (provided he's an option to begin with.)

- Chrono; I honestly don't think he's very likely as I doubt he's one of the options Sakurai was given. However, if he is an option, I could still see him as a possibility given how cherished a title Chrono Trigger is. He's a classic character from one of the most beloved RPGs/Super Nintendo titles. Given Sakurai's penchant for the unexpected I could see a situation where Chrono gets picked over more discussed/expected characters like someone from DQ. He'd be a surprise to many while also being an icon in his own right that still gets people excited.
Oh a Bravely Default rep ! What a great idea ! I love these games ^_^

zferolie

Smash Hero

Three most likely

Wild cards

Hmm, a bravely Default character could work, as there are hints of a Bravely Default 3 coming for switch. So yeah Anise from there could be a likely DLC choice with a DQ character geno or another FF character. I still bet on DQ character being the top chance.

I'm personally hoping for either Tifa or Terra. :)

Or, preferably, both. :p
Terra would be fun. And Tifa for her massive... tracts of land. Or at least give us a Tifa Mii Brawler outfit!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Whoever here is a better editor than me, I have a few Shantae related suggestions for light beam scenes:

Actually, I wanted to see a drawing of Uncle Mimic looking up into the night sky with a telescope, only to notice this strange, new, star, which seemed to be getting ever brighter...

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man, I hate when ******s get their way. I bet no Native American would bat an eye towards the two frames of Mr. Game & Watch.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So...

Why is everybody thinking, just because Nintendo chose candidates for DLC, that we can only expect Fire Emblem and Pokemon?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Maybe it's me missing 20+ pages as usual, but is this actually a thing?
I have seen some people at least losing some hope in Shantae, because Nintendo chose the candidates.
And they think Nintendo will only choose DLC-candidates based on games they want to promote.

Top Bottom