• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Well im going to bed, but ill leave you with this:
What character would you like to see in smash, but almost no one else does?
For me, it would have to be sonic the werehog.
And with that i retire to a bunker.
I've never seen anyone but me go along with this idea on smashboards... Majora.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Moge-ko. Look her up.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well, any character could still provide a new stage. Let's say Bandana dee makes it in, the could just add more kirby stuff. Or whatever's iconic to it, maybe even a retro arena stage from kirby all-stars or something.
I dunno, I mean I’m having a hard time justifying my girl Cynthia for these packs considering we got Spear Pillar and a number of D/P tracks already.

Aran Ryan from Punch-Out!! Wii.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Agitha from Zelda Twilight Princess.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
So, Nintendo chose the last few DLC characters?

Lets hope they want an indie rep ;p

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'd sooner invite Bendy the Dancing Ink Demon to be our indie rep if Nintendo rejects Shantae but accept Steve. Just...no.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
And hopefully it’s our indie rep.
Wayforward is on good terms with Nintendo so we have that in our favor compared to most other requested fighters.

All in all it comes down to what Nintendo wanted to utilize the DLC for while planning whether it's for promotion like Corrin or something else.

Though I'll be surprised if Nintendo has even crazier ideas than Sakurai himself(albeit hilarious to see).

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
You know we're totally going to get Edelgard and she's going to use a sword for her entire moveset anyway.

EDIT: Maybe if we're lucky she'll pull out an axe for her final smash.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You know we're totally going to get Edelgard and she's going to use a sword for her entire moveset anyway.

EDIT: Maybe if we're lucky she'll pull out an axe for her final smash.
I mean he promised no echo fighters and by this point I’m pretty sure any way you can swing/thrust a sword has been represented by every other character that he’d be unable to not make her look like an echo if he went that route.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
But it fights with an axe and is voiced by Cristina
And she's the 8th character from a niche franchise from a game that's not even out yet. In Smash an axe wouldn't be treated much differently from a sword anyways, don't forget the complete lack of demand for even more FE when there are plenty of franchises who haven't gotten any love at all. It's just an objectively bad pick that wouldn't even be unique, at least Corrin transforms and that even that wasn't enough to save him from a horrible reception.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And she's the 8th character from a niche franchise from a game that's not even out yet. In Smash an axe wouldn't be treated much differently from a sword anyways, don't forget the complete lack of demand for even more FE when there are plenty of franchises who haven't gotten any love at all. It's just an objectively bad pick that wouldn't even be unique, at least Corrin transforms and that even that wasn't enough to save him from a horrible reception.
Japan likes Fire Emblem. It's promotion for the new game (assuming at the time of release), and an axe wielder (with possibly magic too) would be unique.
You can hate on the pick, but it's still a likely choice, imo.
That said, it may be anybody's game. time will tell ;p

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
This word about all the DLC characters being selected, and about them being ones that Nintendo picked and Sakurai later approved is interesting. I could go many different ways.

Firstly I think the selections will be more profit based rather than the occasional whimsy Sakurai uses with his selection process. This makes me feel that there could be two directions Nintendo would go: promotion or popularity. Either selecting characters from franchises/games they want to further promote ala Bayo/Corrin, garnering better sales from those games ideally. Or, popularity, wanting to capitalize on DLC sales by selecting characters they know will sell well because of the demand for the character or their overall marketability. (a third motive for Nintendo selecting a character could be for strengthening relationships with a third party, but that seems less likely to me. Any third party included I feel would be because of one of the first two reasons)

I could see this working for or against our girl. Nintendo clearly likes to advertise Shantae (Nintendo Power cover, Shantae Nab, showing up in the in store advertisement for games on the eshop along side Mario and Zelda, and the time she spent as the poster child for the Nindies section of the eshop) So, it's possible they could see sales of her multiple games on their multiple systems increase with more exposure. Or in a dream reality, they could be funding a new Shantae game to be Switch exclusive and include her in Smash in a celebration of the partnership similar to what they did with Bayonetta.

If popularity is their main driving factor, then where they were looking to determine popularity is important. She sells well on their systems, so they know a good amount of Nintendo gamers like her, but just by sales it could still be hard for her to outshine the popularity of well known characters from bigger developers. However, if they are looking to the fans to help determin which characters would sell well, Then Shantae could still be high in the ranks as most all the heavily demanded characters above her have already been made fighters or assist trophies (Tho i will say that now that I know it was Nintendo making the suggestions, i do think for the first time that Assist Trophies could be upgraded if they felt the demand was high enough)

Another thing to consider tho, is that if Nintendo was looking to fully maximize profits of the DLC (promotion for other games and third party relations be damned) it could be possible that all of the 5 will be first or second party properties as that way they wouldn't need to share the profits. I don't think that's incredibly likely, but Nintendo is a corporation that has to answer to share holders and telling them 100% sounds a lot better than 80%, 50% or whatever the deal would be for third parties.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This word about all the DLC characters being selected, and about them being ones that Nintendo picked and Sakurai later approved is interesting. I could go many different ways.

Firstly I think the selections will be more profit based rather than the occasional whimsy Sakurai uses with his selection process. This makes me feel that there could be two directions Nintendo would go: promotion or popularity. Either selecting characters from franchises/games they want to further promote ala Bayo/Corrin, garnering better sales from those games ideally. Or, popularity, wanting to capitalize on DLC sales by selecting characters they know will sell well because of the demand for the character or their overall marketability. (a third motive for Nintendo selecting a character could be for strengthening relationships with a third party, but that seems less likely to me. Any third party included I feel would be because of one of the first two reasons)

I could see this working for or against our girl. Nintendo clearly likes to advertise Shantae (Nintendo Power cover, Shantae Nab, showing up in the in store advertisement for games on the eshop along side Mario and Zelda, and the time she spent as the poster child for the Nindies section of the eshop) So, it's possible they could see sales of her multiple games on their multiple systems increase with more exposure. Or in a dream reality, they could be funding a new Shantae game to be Switch exclusive and include her in Smash in a celebration of the partnership similar to what they did with Bayonetta.

If popularity is their main driving factor, then where they were looking to determine popularity is important. She sells well on their systems, so they know a good amount of Nintendo gamers like her, but just by sales it could still be hard for her to outshine the popularity of well known characters from bigger developers. However, if they are looking to the fans to help determin which characters would sell well, Then Shantae could still be high in the ranks as most all the heavily demanded characters above her have already been made fighters or assist trophies (Tho i will say that now that I know it was Nintendo making the suggestions, i do think for the first time that Assist Trophies could be upgraded if they felt the demand was high enough)

Another thing to consider tho, is that if Nintendo was looking to fully maximize profits of the DLC (promotion for other games and third party relations be damned) it could be possible that all of the 5 will be first or second party properties as that way they wouldn't need to share the profits. I don't think that's incredibly likely, but Nintendo is a corporation that has to answer to share holders and telling them 100% sounds a lot better than 80%, 50% or whatever the deal would be for third parties.
Well on the front of popularity, I'd say Shantae has grown but is still somewhat niche.
But, I will say that WF would probably agree to very low profits on it, just to get her in. So I'll at least say that nintendo would have something tempting there.
I do think there's still plenty of choices to go before her. But who says Nintendo is entirely for the profits? If they were they wouldnt have let sakurai have total reign of the characters before that.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem is not niche.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The only FE character I wouldn't mind is Black Knight because he looks bad ass and would be another villain.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Welp! If the DLC has been picked then I guess all we can do is wait and see for the moment. Also hope for a 2nd wave of DLC.

I'd say the best course of action would be keeping the hashtags alive, but like I've said before in relation to the people from WayForward and Cristina Vee, don't go bothering people who work on these things. This includes Sakurai or other Smash staff. Just show yer support with fanart and stuff, and start big supporting again if/when they do Smash Ballot 2 or something similar. If they do it that is. Also support our girl as a spirit!

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Best part about not having to buy the season pass is that I can skip Steve completely and not have him in the game at all

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Well, im off to bed. So, what has everyone been doing while we wait for more news, anyway?

I've been playing some Payday 2. Sadly, I can't find any mods to change the escape music to Run Run Rottytops... Sad....

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Koopas, specifically the koopa bros/ninjakoopas. They could rep paper mario from when it was still good and have a unique moveset with all their team up attacks.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Best part about not having to buy the season pass is that I can skip Steve completely and not have him in the game at all
You know, considering they said they now know who all the characters are, i will be very disappointed in Nintendo if they start selling the fighters pass before revealing all the characters.

Like Sakurai had that line about"I hope those who will buy it will do so if they think it is worth it..." and that's ok if the idea was they were working on one characters and then piking the next one when the last one was almost finished, but knowing all the characters and then expecting people to buy them all in the hopes that they will want each one is kind of shady.

I know I won;t be buying the pass unless i find out that a number of the characters featured are ones i give a damn about.

D

Deleted member

Yeah and Mario has 9 reps now

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Every fanbase can be "cringy" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A lot of the fanbase is actually mature (well, at least on Reddit, idk)
As a sonic fan i can agree fanbases are freakin wierd.
And as far as fire emblem characters go so long as theyre unique i dont mind. But as it stand 4 of the fe reps are the same character essentially, and all but one of them has a counter. petey the potted plant is more unique than half the fe roster.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We should relax. It can go either way guys, Shantae is not deconfirmed in the slightest. Even if Wayforward is talking about smash it means nothing, because shantae is IN THE GAME, so they have every right to talk about her, even if she is coming in as DLC. So unless Wayforward or nintendo outright says she isn't in, then we are fine. Just remember to hype responsibly.

I'll be leave this here tonight.

Artist: Archdan

View attachment 176395
ok I LOVE Cia so this makes me super happy.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I hope matt doesnt tell the support train to stop, not because its means shantae wont get it, but i feel like all shantae supporters will be catagorized with those people who threatened sakurai for not putting in waluigi
Also some nice art
Shantae doesn't appreciate the way Rottytops flirts. :p

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
For me it's gotta be Kazuma Kiryu. Like Shantae he's a character I just really want to play as in a fighting game ;~;
I've seen a little bit of support for him, but he's kind of my pick with the rarest support.

Top Bottom