• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros? Dark?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I have no idea where you got that idea.
But seriously, some of this artwork breaks my heart.
I will never not feel bad whenever i see sonic trying to save pikachu. Not the best way to start the day, but a good way to

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Guys, regarding Geno, I'm now sure that he is a spirit unlike what we've been told :
spiritss.PNG

Just thought I'd let you guys know ^^

D

Deleted member

Can I just bring this up, because I find this hilarious if it was intentional. You know how we were analyzing all of these rooms for hints and secrets? Well guess what.

They all have potted plants in them.
Long live your plant Mainer :ultpiranha:

Also I was wrong about :ultken:and:ultincineroar:their gameplay changed my mind I thought they were gonna be bland as spam but no I was wrong

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Guys, regarding Geno, I'm now sure that he is a spirit unlike what we've been told :
View attachment 175619
I highly doubt being a spirit means anything for a characters chances, as that would piss off more than just Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Lyn, Knuckles, and Skull Kid fans. As for dlc, well... I doubt there will only be one season. I’m highly skeptical that a game with this much hype would only get 5 dlc characters, especially considering how long the switch is slated to last. It just doesn’t make sense.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt being a spirit means anything for a characters chances, as that would piss off more than just Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Lyn, Knuckles, and Skull Kid fans. As for dlc, well... I doubt there will only be one season. I’m highly skeptical that a game with this much hype would only get 5 dlc characters, especially considering how long the switch is slated to last. It just doesn’t make sense.
Thank god we weren’t pissed because she wasn’t humiliation like those above

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I don't think it's a bad thing to be a spirit either. It's actually quite good since it proves that the said character is indeed part of the smash universe and to me it's even like a little tease for players who see Shantae as a spirit ( for example ). It makes you want to have her playable even more ^^

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't think it's a bad thing to be a spirit either. It's actually quite good since it proves that the said character is indeed part of the smash universe and to me it's even like a little tease for players who see Shantae as a spirit ( for example ). It makes you want to have her playable even more ^^
I think Shantae has the second highest chance for dlc, after Banjo & Kazooie of course. Spirits don’t matter for playable chances at all, it just means no base roster, as that would’ve been what they were able to put in without spoilers. As far as I’m concerned, only thing that 100% dc’s a character is being an assist trophy, an item, or part of the pokeballs.
Now for my dlc prediction:
2 first parties, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee. 2 third parties, Banjo and Shantae.
1 wtf pick, being more along the lines of a Goomba or Wurmple.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
As a reminder, though it could be a gamble for just being a spirit only, she has reached the halfway point with her support role. Others too can be there later down the road.

Artist: MichaelH-Art

Halfway_there_(Super_Smash_Bros)_by_MichaelH-Art.png

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Shantae has the second highest chance for dlc, after Banjo & Kazooie of course. Spirits don’t matter for playable chances at all, it just means no base roster, as that would’ve been what they were able to put in without spoilers. As far as I’m concerned, only thing that 100% dc’s a character is being an assist trophy, an item, or part of the pokeballs.
Now for my dlc prediction:
2 first parties, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee. 2 third parties, Banjo and Shantae.
1 wtf pick, being more along the lines of a Goomba or Wurmple.
You're forgetting Geno who is just as likely or more than Banjo & Kazooie and Shantae.

Who are the most active threads on Smashboards as far as character support goes that are still alive?
Shantae, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, and Elma's threads are all still active and holding on for DLC.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Are you sure?
Yeah, checked replies, were number 2 after Isaac, who was denied by the final direct.
You're forgetting Geno who is just as likely or more than Banjo & Kazooie and Shantae.

Shantae, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, and Elma's threads are all still active and holding on for DLC.
I honestly doubt Geno. Something about this tells me that dlc will be completely random and just not include characters who only made one appearance, kinda like last time.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, checked replies, were number 2 after Isaac, who was denied by the final direct.
Still feel bad for the Isaac fans for him being an Assist Trophy once more. At least his role is much better compared to brawl of just Pushing enemies alone.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Still feel bad for the Isaac fans for him being an Assist Trophy once more. At least his role is much better compared to brawl of just Pushing enemies alone.
Yeah I know how it feels when your favorite character is deconfirmed as an assist trophy. Really sucked seeing that happen to Isaac supporters

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah I know how it feels when your favorite character is deconfirmed as an assist trophy. Really sucked seeing that happen to Isaac supporters
At least Smash Bros Flash 2 covers that for Isaac being playable.

I just hope that Shantae and possibly others can make it as a fighter in the 5 Characters fighter pass.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I like to picture the big villains not there (Ganondorf, Ridley and I guess Wario) far away, not wanting anything to do with the heroes but trying to fight anyway (getting vaporized is hardly new for Ridley anyway, so I imagine him being surprisingly chill about this)
Thanks for typing this you've just made me imagine Ridley just standing there with sunglasses on lighting up a cigar like it's no big deal :D

View attachment 175619
Wait you can use spirits as avatars? YES! YES YES! LET'S REP OUR GIRL!!!!!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just got a horrible thought. Every spirit met the same fate as our fighters, right? Just think for a moment, what if Shantae was at her slumber party when this all went down.

Dukefire

Smash Master
sorry, im a little out of the loop. i keep hearing that sakurai has already decided all of the DLC picks. is there any evidence for this?
Well, Sakurai did say that DLC characters won't start until Smash Ultimate is released and Pirahna Plant is done.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Let's try not to go too wild in over-analyzing what tweets from WayForward or statements by Sakurai might mean for DLC. The fact is that we know very little, and the information we can glean from either of those sources is very limited.

Matt Bozon's tweets, for instance, are very interesting. We can conclude that Shantae hasn't been ruled out for DLC as far as Matt knows, and that WayForward is not under any agreement with Nintendo that would forbid them from asking fans to support Shantae for DLC.

This probably indicates that Shantae has not at this point been decided upon as a DLC character. Even that is not certain, but if she were already in the works, I suspect WayForward would keep mum on the subject.

Attempting to read anything more into his tweets beyond that is pointless. Matt Bozon himself likely knows next to nothing about the DLC process for Smash Bros. The 4 out of 5 thing was clearly just a silly joke, since obviously no single character or franchise is going to get 4 out of the 5 DLC spots.

The same applies to Sakurai. He states that they haven't yet created any of the paid DLC, and that work will begin on them as soon as they are finished with the main game. Even taking Sakurai at his word, this doesn't indicate whether or not they have selected characters for DLC. And frankly, it's very possible that Sakurai isn't being 100% truthful with some of his statements.

I hate to say it, but the best information we have on Smash DLC is leakers, and that info is hardly comforting. As I saw someone on Reddit point out, a very realistic worst case scenario might be Steve, Dragon Quest rep, gacha character, new FE sword user, and new Pokémon.

The DLC characters might not all be selected yet, but given the relatively quick timeframe, it seems like there's a good chance that they are. As for whether there will be more than one season of DLC, nobody has anything but pure guesses.

What do you guys suggest we Isaac bros do from here? We seem to be back and forth with assist trophy promotion and I think our best course would be to rally for Matthew or Felix to get in as DLC.
I think you should all just support whichever Golden Sun character you most want to join the roster. But, if you are asking from a strategic perspective which of them I think is the most viable candidate, it's still Isaac. He is still very much the face of the series, and the one GS character everyone's been hearing about. The Isaac movement actually has been very successful, in that he's one of the most popular requests now. If you try to switch focus to a different character instead, I think you'll just lose all that momentum. Plus, I still don't buy this AT de-confirmation thing everyone's talking about. The only case in which I think it's de-confirmation is if there's only one season of DLC and those characters are already chosen, in which case we're all just spinning our wheels anyway.

Aside from sticking to Isaac, the next most helpful initiative for the Isaac community would be fan art.

Isaac isn't a controversial candidate; you see very little Isaac hate out there. Rather, people think of Isaac as being an otherwise worthy candidate who is shafted by Golden Sun being a dead series. The way to counter this impression is NOT through argument. When you tell people that Golden Sun isn't THAT dead, or that it COULD come back to life, or that it doesn't matter for Smash if Golden Sun is dead, well, that just keeps the focus on Golden Sun being dead.

What you need instead is for Isaac to feel alive to people. Get people invested in Isaac and Golden Sun. For that to happen, they need to see more of Isaac. That's not going to happen through people playing through Golden Sun in 2018. It's going to happen through fan art.

Fan art has a lot of power, because it gives people a way to connect with a character they don't already know through playing the game. With good fan art, you can get people thinking of Isaac as a living, breathing personality-filled character rather than just another JRPG fossil. Make fan art of Isaac interacting with Smash characters, maybe even in the World of Light. Make fan art showing him annoyed at being an AT again (or hopeful and ready to become more). Use fan art to highlight his abilities as an earth adept, so that people don't think of him as another generic swordsman. And of course, share that fan art where it will be appreciated by Smash fans and Nintendo fans. Twitter and the Reddit for starters. The timing is perfect, because for now at least, Isaac has the Smash community's attention, thanks to the Grinch leak.

Unfortunately that advice is only useful if you have some talent for fan art. It wouldn't do me any good, for instance. But the Isaac community is big. If you can get Isaac fans showing off their artistic chops, or, failing that, commissioning some cool works, I think that's the most you can do as a community.

On a less positive note, Isaac fans need to keep their expectations in check, just like all other fans. For all we know, all the DLC for Smash Ultimate may have already been decided upon anyway. Character campaigning for Ultimate DLC may very well be totally futile. Share the Isaac love just for fun, but don't invest effort and emotion into campaigning that wouldn't be worth it to you for its own sake.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I just got a horrible thought. Every spirit met the same fate as our fighters, right? Just think for a moment, what if Shantae was at her slumber party when this all went down.
I was thinking that, if in the event she's a DLC character, she'd just gotten her invitation delivered and was running as fast as she could to meet up with everyone....

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Oh, that just gave me a thought.

What if Rotty was able to outrun it? :p
I mean.... these light beams make spirits lose their bodies... but rotty's case is different since her body is kinda dead already, isn't it ? It's likely that she was not even bothered by the beams in the first place or that she threw her head away, saving her spirit in the process ? idk xD She's too smart to get caught like that

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I was thinking that, if in the event she's a DLC character, she'd just gotten her invitation delivered and was running as fast as she could to meet up with everyone....

...could we go back to talking about ideas for a Shantae animated series please?!

Oh, that just gave me a thought.

What if Rotty was able to outrun it? :p
I mean considering Mr. Fastest Thing Alive wasn’t able to escape...

Top Bottom