• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Actually that reminds me, so I may be jumping the gun a bit with my animated series ideas for Shantae, but I’ve also thought of a RWBY Chibi styled spinoff that could also happen alongside this series, maybe even as something to fill the gap between seasons if the gap’s long enough.

Like the main series would focus on adapting the story of the games as well as longer storylines/story arcs while still retaining the writing and humor, but the spinoff focuses on just short non-canon comedy sketches and just something to give the writers freedom to go nuts and do anything.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Actually that reminds me, so I may be jumping the gun a bit with my animated series ideas for Shantae, but I’ve also thought of a RWBY Chibi styled spinoff that could also happen alongside this series, maybe even as something to fill the gap between seasons if the gap’s long enough.

Like the main series would focus on adapting the story of the games as well as longer storylines/story arcs while still retaining the writing and humor, but the spinoff focuses on just comedy sketches and just something to give the writers freedom to go nuts and do anything.
If it was an internet based series, I could see that being a possibility. The characters could certainly lend themselves to that style of cartoonish exaggeration. Heck, I could easily see a chibi Risky acting similar to the chibi version of Cinder.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
When you think about it, there's no real reason for there not to be more than one wave of DLC. We're so early in the Switch's lifespan than it would make sense to support Ultimate until right up into the end of the Switch's lifespan, I would say we're getting at least one more wave of DLC fighters for a 2nd year. Even if Shantae isn't present in the first wave she'd pretty much be first in line for Wave 2, mostly because they've already murdered most of her competition by making them ATs.
So yeah, #ShantaeforDLC, no reason to stop now when we're in a really really good spot and once again have WF backing us.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

Like the main series would focus on adapting the story of the games as well as longer storylines/story arcs while still retaining the writing and humor, but the spinoff focuses on just short non-canon comedy sketches and just something to give the writers freedom to go nuts and do anything.
I recall having a similar conversation before when we were tossing around funny plots for a Shantae cartoon like Sky starting a bird delivery service or Risky and Rotty on a treasure hunt.

but yeah there's definitely potential in having more light-hearted comedy sketches. I just wish they could advance the story a bit faster.

After the great world-building from Pirate's Curse HGH was just a shot in the heart for me since if felt like nothing much was learned about the world(except for that one conversation with Shantae's mom).

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Like the main series would focus on adapting the story of the games as well as longer storylines/story arcs while still retaining the writing and humor, but the spinoff focuses on just short comedy sketches and just something to give the writers freedom to go nuts and do anything.
Heh, I probably have tons of ideas for short Rottytops stories typed down somewhere, in amongst my many thoughts about her. :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I recall having a similar conversation before when we were tossing around funny plots for a Shantae cartoon like Sky starting a bird delivery service or Risky and Rotty on a treasure hunt.

but yeah there's definitely potential in having more light-hearted comedy sketches. I just wish they could advance the story a bit faster.

After the great world-building from Pirate's Curse HGH was just a shot in the heart for me since if felt like nothing much was learned about the world(except for that one conversation with Shantae's mom).
Does make me wonder what the next game could be about...
I mean, there is clearly the subject of Shantae's Mother, but I feel like they could possibly explore Risky a bit more and what is going on with her, especially with what Pirate Queen's Quest implied when she faced Hypno Baron.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If it was an internet based series, I could see that being a possibility. The characters could certainly lend themselves to that style of cartoonish exaggeration.
Yeah, I believe the characters and writers would feel right at home with a setup like this, and there are so many elements of this series they could touch upon for comedic potential.

Heck, I could easily see a chibi Risky acting similar to the chibi version of Cinder.
7D2DE734-D9FE-45EE-85D7-B8A81EC0C61A.png

...yeah that sounds about right

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
...as a RWBY fan from the very first trailer, I hate seeing it brought up because there's such a toxic anti-fanbase...and a toxic fanbase in certain circles...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
...as a RWBY fan from the very first trailer, I hate seeing it brought up because there's such a toxic anti-fanbase...and a toxic fanbase in certain circles...
Ynow, it's funny. It seems like most people think that the shipping part of the fandom is the worst part of the fandom(It's had it's mooments, but only really ever in moments with insane amounts of pressure), but it's the fact that there is strangely large hatedom for the show that has an obsession with ripping the show a new one. And the worst part is that Youtube will never stop recommend there videos. If you even dare to watch even a RWBY combo video for BBTAG, you will be flooded with often hour+ long video of "Why RWBY is bad and you should feel bad for liking it" and "Why (Insert character) is the worst ever." Bonus points if that character is your favorite. At least here there is very little of those people, and that's only because this is a Smash forum.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yeah, sorry about that, I was only bringing it up to prove a point. So far it doesn’t seem like that’s been a problem either time, but I’m trying to relate it back around to Shantae now.

I really hope you don't consider me one of those kinds of people...
I mean I assumed you were playing up the bit on the last page and I just went along with it

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really hope you don't consider me one of those kinds of people...
Trust me, you are not one of those people.
Yeah, sorry about that, I was only bringing it up to prove a point. So far it doesn’t seem like that’s been a problem either time, but I’m trying to relate it back around to Shantae now.

I mean I assumed you were playing up the bit on the last page and I just went along with it
You have been pretty good about it, it's not like the subject has ever came out of absolute no where. It always came out of something legitimately Shantae or Smash related.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Ynow, it's funny. It seems like most people think that the shipping part of the fandom is the worst part of the fandom(It's had it's mooments, but only really ever in moments with insane amounts of pressure), but it's the fact that there is strangely large hatedom for the show that has an obsession with ripping the show a new one. And the worst part is that Youtube will never stop recommend there videos. If you even dare to watch even a RWBY combo video for BBTAG, you will be flooded with often hour+ long video of "Why RWBY is bad and you should feel bad for liking it" and "Why (Insert character) is the worst ever." Bonus points if that character is your favorite. At least here there is very little of those people, and that's only because this is a Smash forum.
From the people I talk to, a lot the hate stems from how sloppy seasons 4-5 are. It feels like they're constantly preforming a juggling act of all these different sub-plots to feel invested in but they don't stick around long enough for me to care. Hell I just wanted to see more of Yang during season 4 and how she battles her trauma but Rooster Teeth's like "naaa she ain't important lets check in on everybody else".

But yeah we can go back to talking about Shantae

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
From the people I talk to, a lot the hate stems from how sloppy seasons 4-5 are. It feels like they're constantly preforming a juggling act of all these different sub-plots to feel invested in but they don't stick around long enough for me to care. Hell I just wanted to see more of Yang during season 4 and how she battles her trauma but Rooster Teeth's like "naaa she ain't important lets check in on everybody else".

But yeah we can go back to talking about Shantae
Well, I'm a big fan, but I'm not going to sit here and praise everything. Volume 4's focus was really Blake-heavy, leaving Yang to suffer when she should have had a bit more. Volume 5's character focus was a little better, but I think it had some of the weakest action because it seemed like they saved all their budget for the fight in the penultimate episode....
See, I hate seeing opinions like that. I should NOT feel bad for liking something. And I shouldn't make people feel bad for not liking something. There's a reason I don't like to bring up RWBY, certain incarnations of Star Trek, the recent DC films, or The Last Jedi. I don't like being told that I'm an idiot for liking these things or that my opinion is wrong. Entertainment is ALWAYS subjective. Even if a movie/show/game is objectively one of the greatest things ever, there will be that one person who watches/plays it and goes "Meh."

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I was actually hoping that he'd be a boss in Ultimate. :)

I don't think he's coming back in the main series though.
The real question is WHERE'S MA BOI BRAN-SON?!
How can I rest easy if I don't know if he's gained the advantage?

download (1).jpg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Let's do that...
What do you guys think are the chances of the Pirate Master ever coming back!
Maybe we could see Risky hearing the Pirate Master’s voice trying to influence her. Though it could be up in the air if he’s trying to actually communicate with her, if the dark magic is messing with her or if it’s just her paranoia.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe we could see Risky hearing the Pirate Master’s voice trying to influence her. Though it could be up in the air if he’s trying to actually communicate with her, or if the dark magic is messing with her or if it’s just her paranoia.
I do feel like we will get some story on Risky eventually, or heck, even see what she is like when she has no dark essence in her. That could make for a great game.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we could see Risky hearing the Pirate Master’s voice trying to influence her. Though it could be up in the air if he’s trying to actually communicate with her, if the dark magic is messing with her or if it’s just her paranoia.
Speaking of bosses, back in the August Direct Sakurai mentioned that the Dracula boss "appears under certain conditions". Given what we know now it's safe to assume it has to do with World of Light but it still leaves the question on what the conditions are.

Do we have to save Simon/Richter beforehand? Do we need certain spirits? Are there sections in the map that need unlocking? I'm not sure but's been bothering me for a while.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I gotta say...im extremely happy to see how active this board is. Hundreds of replies a day, and if I recall correctly we hit 20,000 replies less than a week ago. At this rate, we'll be at 30,000 before American Thanksgiving!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Can I just bring this up, because I find this hilarious if it was intentional. You know how we were analyzing all of these rooms for hints and secrets? Well guess what.

They all have potted plants in them.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I hear Rotty's voice in my head constantly. What could it mean? :p
At this point, I don’t think “obsession” is a strong enough word.

Can I just bring this up, because I find this hilarious if it was intentional. You know how we were analyzing all of these rooms for hints and secrets? Well guess what.

They all have potted plants in them.
(Takes off sunglasses that I was apparently wearing at 3 in the morning, goes outside and looks up into the sky, starting to contemplate our place in the universe and our purpose here on this earth)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
(Takes off sunglasses that I was apparently wearing at 3 in the morning, goes outside and looks up into the sky, starting to contemplate our place in the universe and our purpose here on this earth)
This was how pretty much how I felt when I realized this.

Also, man do we stay up late.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I have to say, this boost in popularity Shantae got from her brief cameo in the Smash Direct may be just what she needed. All the fanart she's getting is definitely helping her get more and more noticed!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have to say, this boost in popularity Shantae got from her brief cameo in the Smash Direct may be just what she needed. All the fanart she's getting is definitely helping her get more and more noticed!
Yup, and often fanart is one of the best support a character can get. Nothing else quite matches the potential eye catching ability and quality of a good art piece, besides perhaps someone big giving out the good word.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I really want to support Shantae, guys. I really do. But everytime I come back to this thread I see this ridiculously heated arguments over semantics. A lot of you guys are amazing, but seeing this take place here is a serious mood-killer.
I'm sorry.
I just want to defend Shantae's chances, since there are already the typical "fan rules" that come up and try to say Shantae will not make it, even though fan rules always turn out to be wrong in the end.

Like in this case, someone tried to argue that Shantae has no chance, because all the DLC Slots were already pre-planned and thus already taken up by other characters.
Even though...
1. There is nothing that clearly confirms that.
2. Sakurai implied they won't be working or planning DLC at all, until they're done with the base game (and probably Piranha Plant as well).

And if someone even goes out of their way, to abuse me over it...
Well, how am I supposed to react?!

I mean I'm sorry if it affects you so much. And I agree that it should stop.
But if someone goes for the harassment, I won't tolerate it!

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Yeah! The Samus/Shantae fanart is pretty wonderful, I love it a lot <3

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
As seen with Bowsette boosting the marketing for New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, ayup. Trends like that tend to help.

Of course, it helps to do everything in one's power to keep it going.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Alright. Im off to bed. Hopefully this week I'll be a bit more active, especially if something good comes up in speculation.

Until then, have some jammy jammies mode.

"Bread makes you fat!?"

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I do feel like we will get some story on Risky eventually, or heck, even see what she is like when she has no dark essence in her. That could make for a great game.
Since Nega-Shantae's hair turns red, it would be hilarious if Risky turns out to be a red-head with no dark magic in her.

Speaking of bosses, back in the August Direct Sakurai mentioned that the Dracula boss "appears under certain conditions". Given what we know now it's safe to assume it has to do with World of Light but it still leaves the question on what the conditions are.

Do we have to save Simon/Richter beforehand? Do we need certain spirits? Are there sections in the map that need unlocking? I'm not sure but's been bothering me for a while.
Well, we've seen Pokemon Trainer use a Lapras spirit to Surf, so it's safe to assume that yes, you need certain characters and spirits to progress.

Alright. Im off to bed. Hopefully this week I'll be a bit more active, especially if something good comes up in speculation.

Until then, have some jammy jammies mode.

"Bread makes you fat!?"
Nothing can make Shantae fat. She has fire genie calorie-burning superpowers.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
At this point, I don’t think “obsession” is a strong enough word.
Huh. Then, what is?
Wait, it was only 3 in the morning, at that time? I was up till like 8. :p

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros? Dark?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I have no idea where you got that idea.
But seriously, some of this artwork breaks my heart.
tenor.gif

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Super Smash Bros? Dark?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I have no idea where you got that idea.
But seriously, some of this artwork breaks my heart.
Dang it, the trailer gave me enough feels... Now I'm imagining what happened to rest of the cast...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dang it, the trailer gave me enough feels... Now I'm imagining what happened to rest of the cast...
I like to picture the big villains not there (Ganondorf, Ridley and I guess Wario) far away, not wanting anything to do with the heroes but trying to fight anyway (getting vaporized is hardly new for Ridley anyway, so I imagine him being surprisingly chill about this).

Also R.O.B accepting death like he did in Subspace Emissary.

Last edited:

scarlet solsitce

Smash Apprentice
I'd really like to know that too. The direct was unclear, but since it's called a season pass, it'd make sense that there'd be more. But we might just have to wait the year to see for sure :/

also, I feel like we've switched places a bit somehow?
theres gonna be dlc until febuary 2020 if that answers your question im surpriesd no one reads the small walls of text anymore

Top Bottom