• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
With how Sakurai is with details do you think he would make this big of a mistake when it comes to character artwork? Especially character artwork that is not even two years old and you can easily find on the internet.
Can you really call inverting an image a mistake? Maybe if it were like, blue Shantae or Nega Shantae or even Risky Boots I'd say we're onto something, but this is just....Shantae's art found on google flipped, like it's really nothing to grasp at and we'd have a better time squeezing answers on Shantae's DLC status from Wayforward,

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Yeah, ask the Inklings how well escaping into the ground went
Swell. Being disintegrated by a Super-Duper-Mega-Death-Laser, that also engulfed an entire ruddy galaxy, would be one of my preferred ways of dying, actually.
Okay, back from work, what- HOLY CRAP, too many pages. Has anything happened to suggest that a Spirit can't be a DLC fighter yet?
Fortunately not. :)

Well, how was work?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Okay guys I am back reviewing today's Direct. Guys I think Nintendo and Sakurai actually hinted at our girl Shantae as a playable DLC fighter in Ultimate. My theory is because the official SPIRIT artwork used to show Shantae is actually a reversed version instead of the actual official artwork all the other Spirits have.

See this is her official HGH artwork:
View attachment 174839

And this is the one in Smash Ultimate:

View attachment 174843

And no that isn't just for the versus mission because it also appears like this in the overworld:

View attachment 174846

Guys I think Nintendo and WayForward/Matt are giving us a BIG hint to her being one of the DLC fighters. Mistakes like that doesn't happen on purpose.

What do you guys think about all this?

EDIT: Also someone here found Geno's spirit. Do you have a screenshot of it?
I hope you did some stretches before all that reaching.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Can you really call inverting an image a mistake? Maybe if it were like, blue Shantae or Nega Shantae or even Risky Boots I'd say we're onto something, but this is just....Shantae's art found on google flipped, like it's really nothing to grasp at and we'd have a better time squeezing answers on Shantae's DLC status from Wayforward,
Yeah but look at the other artwork. All of them are official artwork and are in the proper none mirrored version. Heck it took me over an hour going over all the images to see if they are the right ones. Heck there are proper artworks from over a decade ago and Shantae HGH is nowhere NEAR that.

I am waiting on MrBozon on twitter to see if he can answer my question since it doesn't pertain to DLC but the actual Spirit mode artwork. He should be fine answering the question.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While Echoes aren't going to be paid DLC, do you guys think they'll possibly throw in a few more as free DLC in between releases for the regular sets?

We still need a Deku Baba Echo Fighter for Piranha Plant after all. It'd even double as a new Zelda rep that isn't a Triforce holder, and they're pretty iconic enemies too.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
While Echoes aren't going to be paid DLC, do you guys think they'll possibly throw in a few more as free DLC in between releases for the regular sets?

We still need a Deku Baba Echo Fighter for Piranha Plant after all. It'd even double as a new Zelda rep that isn't a Triforce holder, and they're pretty iconic enemies too.
...I would actually fall in love with something that absolutely silly.
Swell. Being disintegrated by a Super-Duper-Mega-Death-Laser, that also engulfed an entire ruddy galaxy, would be one of my preferred ways of dying, actually.

Fortunately not. :)

Well, how was work?
1) Going out that way would be a heck of a way to go, honestly.

2) Good, then I'm still going to say we should maybe put together something to show how much her fans would love to see her in Smash, then send it to everyone we can.

3) WORK WAS ****. Thank heavens Friday's almost he-....I work Saturday too!!!! :crying:

EDIT: Censored to be a bit more family friendly...just in case.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Haven't been on here today since I've been so busy, but I loved the Direct. I heard a lot of people complaining about Sakurai brutally ruining people's expectations later rather than sooner, but they have no room to talk since our girl was revealed as a Spirit n the last 30 seconds.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but look at the other artwork. All of them are official artwork and are in the proper none mirrored version. Heck it took me over an hour going over all the images to see if they are the right ones. Heck there are proper artworks from over a decade ago and Shantae HGH is nowhere NEAR that.

I am waiting on MrBozon on twitter to see if he can answer my question since it doesn't pertain to DLC but the actual Spirit mode artwork. He should be fine answering the question.
Look your just stretching
Just accept her fate ok

Bye

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'm so bad
Look your just stretching
Just accept her fate ok

Bye
Hate to be the negative nancy but I gotta agree with Thanos Patrick here. All of the hints for Shantae being playable were all proven wrong and the images theory is no different.

EDIT : WTF? I don't remember typing "I'm so bad". Where did that come from? I also quoted the wrong person.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Link to verify
https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/1058101604329484288

Will there be a next time though? Or at least w/ Sakurai and/or this amazing roster?
How I'm going to naively interpret it is he's talking solely about the sticker.
every piece of evidence we have still stands (maybe except the room, I mean it's only 3-4 possibilities now: either it stood for AC, it was just Sakurai messing with the people he knew would overanalyze it, it was referring to DLC, or it had hints about something we don't know yet).
we have talked about the possibility of her being DLC and maybe that's what she was always planned as.

The saddest part of the direct, I feel, is that now the Smash speculation scene is sort of over... what do we do now while we wait for any details on DLC? I still am absolutely sure Shantae can still make it there, but for now there's nothing strong to really go on to talk about.
Correction- The saddest part of the direct was definitely watching Sonic try to help Pikachu even though he could have been well gone and watching his reaction to Pikachu getting obliterated before getting it himself.
I wasn't slightly stirred by the Titanic, P.S. I Love You, or Marley & Me, but that broke my heart. If the characters screamed when they were overtaken I would've bawled my eyes out.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, first time poster here. Been following this thread for a month or so, yeah. Been a fan of Shantae ever since I got my 3DS, well back when it was full price. One of the first things I got was Shantae: Risky's Revenge, been a big fan ever since. Heck, even voted for her on the Official Smash Ballot when my friends told me she didn't have a chance since Japan didn't know her so well, from what they said anyways. Didn't matter to me, wanted her in.

None of the stuff shown so far has hit me with a solid hard de-confirm, and hasn't even left me with a sour taste either. Only time will tell in the long run, but mark my words that no one should stop cheering her on from this point onwards. Shantae still has plenty of tricks up her sleeves I'm sure, for the near and far future. New games whatnot. So I wouldn't ever count her out. Just keep chugging like you guys always do.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So... I saw what happened earlier. How are y'all holding in atm? :/
Shantae made it in the game and that's good enough for me. I wish she'd been shown earlier than the last 30 seconds of the presentation though lol.
Incinedad.jpg

How can we say the Direct was bad with gems like this?

Shadowknight1

I'm still hopeful. That said, the game looks amazing. I can't get behind the people who are screaming mad about it and saying they're not buying the game because their characters aren't in. Heck, the game has 74 characters in the roster. I can't WAIT.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Its up in the air. since spirits are the new trophies, its possible, as proven by mewtwo and lucas. But also she could just be left to posses zss's body forever.
(I do like the attention to detail for the "shantae" fight though. 2 piece samus on a pirate ship? nice)
With a Killing Edge (scimitar), and this version of Samus just happening to wield a pistol...

I don't know about you all, but I think Matt is just tickled pink to see Shantae being embodied by the protagonist of the series he's taken so much inspiration from.

It also proves beyond a doubt that Pirate's Curse is the most popular Shantae game... and that no fighter can truly replicate or capture her genie magic.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Hey so sorry I've been MIA I had to go to work right after the direct:

Haven't caught up with the thread but here's my thoughts:

-Ken and Incineroar aren't shocking, and I think Incineroar looks fun. Probably would've been less of a blow if Vergenben hadn't leaked it so long ago.
-No Trophies is completely asinine and borrowing a bunch of PNGs isn't a replacement.
-"adventure mode" is basically just 3DS Smash Classic mode with Brawls Stickers...Gross.
-Shantae is a spirit, so at least Sakurai is aware she exists, maybe she can still be DLC.
-Piranha Plant is a slap in the face. There's a million and one characters you can put in Smash and you have your team work on a basic Mario enemy. This doesn't feel like a character they wanted to make and instead a character that they were contractually obligated to add.
-Story trailer is cool, but I still loath the idea of this "world made of trophies." Wouldn't it be much cooler and interesting if the ones in the story were the actual characters brought to this world by Master Hand/Totally-Not-Tabuu and the versions of each other that they're fighting are replicas created by the bad guys? This proposed "Smash World" takes all the coolness of a crossover between these characters right out.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I'm still hopeful. That said, the game looks amazing. I can't get behind the people who are screaming mad about it and saying they're not buying the game because their characters aren't in. Heck, the game has 74 characters in the roster. I can't WAIT.
And with DLC, the game will end with 80 characters and 108 stages. Sure hope Shantae and Scuttle Town would be the first pack in the Fighter Pass.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
She's not Playable. She's Not an Assist. But it's something and I am 100% happy she's in the game as bittersweet as it is.

It's been an honor and I hope you all will keep rallying for her~ My focus is now shifting to be 100% on campaigning for Ashley despite the many hurdles in her way. Maybe one day both of these Magical fighters make their way in~

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey so sorry I've been MIA I had to go to work right after the direct:

Haven't caught up with the thread but here's my thoughts:

-Ken and Incineroar aren't shocking, and I think Incineroar looks fun. Probably would've been less of a blow if Vergenben hadn't leaked it so long ago.
-No Trophies is completely asinine and borrowing a bunch of PNGs isn't a replacement.
-"adventure mode" is basically just 3DS Smash Classic mode with Brawls Stickers...Gross.
-Shantae is a spirit, so at least Sakurai is aware she exists, maybe she can still be DLC.
-Piranha Plant is a slap in the face. There's a million and one characters you can put in Smash and you have your team work on a basic Mario enemy. This doesn't feel like a character they wanted to make and instead a character that they were contractually obligated to add.
-Story trailer is cool, but I still loath the idea of this "world made of trophies." Wouldn't it be much cooler and interesting if the ones in the story were the actual characters brought to this world by Master Hand/Totally-Not-Tabuu and the versions of each other that they're fighting are replicas created by the bad guys? This proposed "Smash World" takes all the coolness of a crossover between these characters right out.
Every Smash game has one. 64: :jigglypuff64:, Melee: :gawmelee:, Brawl: :rob:, 4: :4wiifit:

Also if the story is as light as they're implying, isn't the identity of the fighters as trophies or the real deal irrelevant?

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Doing fine. I’m glad she made it in but still disappointed it was basically just a glorified sticker. I’m hopeful for dlc and if she doesn’t make it in there I have several questions for Matt and WayForward lol

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Man, I was dreading Shantae would be killed throughout the whole AT and Mii Costume sections.
She only got out with a Spirit, which probably still gives her a shot at being a character. Obviously Banjo and Geno would be the first picks for DLC, but Shantae is still fighting AND she'd be a welcome female character to the sausage fest we've had so far.

Really, our only female characters this time are Daisy, Inkling Girl, and Isabelle (maybe Dark Samus). They GOT to have a girl in the DLC and Shantae would be perfect.

Never give up Shantae!

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Man, I was dreading Shantae would be killed throughout the whole AT and Mii Costume sections.
She only got out with a Spirit, which probably still gives her a shot at being a character. Obviously Banjo and Geno would be the first picks for DLC, but Shantae is still fighting AND she'd be a welcome female character to the sausage fest we've had so far.

Really, our only female characters this time are Daisy, Inkling Girl, and Isabelle (maybe Dark Samus). They GOT to have a girl in the DLC and Shantae would be perfect.

Never give up Shantae!
So, since Verge seems like he’s on the money this time, but only knows some of the picks, and we have some precedent for character additions (dlc or base), I’m going to predict the following as DLC:
1) Square rep: Geno
2) Microsoft & Minecraft Rep: Either Steve with a Minecraft stage or Banjo with a Minecraft Stage.
3) New Fire Emblem game rep: Fire Emblem 3 Houses Protag
4) First Party Ballot Rep: Bandana Dee
5) Third Party Ballot Rep: Shantae

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
She's not Playable. She's Not an Assist. But it's something and I am 100% happy she's in the game as bittersweet as it is.
Yeah, if being an Assist is Hell, being a Spirit is purgatory.
2) Microsoft & Minecraft Rep: Either Steve with a Minecraft stage or Banjo with a Minecraft Stage.

Oh god please no.
It's been discussed a few times but going off the absolute devastation of Rex and Springman, both of which were considered the definition of safe DLC bets, I think the passing comment about the DLC being planned beforehand hold true, this means no 3 houses protag and no promotional Gen 8 Pokemon. I think DLC will look something like

1) Square character (Geno, Sora, whatever)
2)First Party character #1 (Dixie, B.Dee, Octolings)
3)Shantae
4)Banjo
5) First Party #2 or something "secretly" promotional like Dante

Last edited:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Every Smash game has one. 64: :jigglypuff64:, Melee: :gawmelee:, Brawl: :rob:, 4: :4wiifit:

Also if the story is as light as they're implying, isn't the identity of the fighters as trophies or the real deal irrelevant?
The difference is that those are characters. a Piranha Plant is just a basic enemy, and I can't believe they wasted development time on it, or that they think he's inciting enough to convince people to buy the season pass. Also, light or not, the whole idea doesn't make sense and it didn't make sense in Brawl. It's such a weird and forced idea.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Oh god please no.
It's been discussed a few times but going off the absolute devastation of Rex and Springman, both of which were considered the definition of safe DLC bets, I think the passing comment about the DLC being planned beforehand hold true, this means no 3 houses protag and no promotional Gen 8 Pokemon. I think DLC will look something like

3)Shantae
4)Banjo
Sooo... Sylux?

Mango The Magician Mango The Magician Plant isn't part of the season pass. He's free for a limited time and I imagine will only be purchaseable individually afterwards.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The difference is that those are characters. a Piranha Plant is just a basic enemy, and I can't believe they wasted development time on it, or that they think he's inciting enough to convince people to buy the season pass. Also, light or not, the whole idea doesn't make sense and it didn't make sense in Brawl. It's such a weird and forced idea.
You do know Plant isn’t in the season pass and is more a “buy early get for free” right?

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

Never give up Shantae!
Well if you count a parasite using Samus's Phazon suit for an exoskeleton as a female then ain't gonna judge.

In all seriousness I do agree there have has been a certain lack of female fighters this time around and it would be nice to see more. Granted we did get Lucina, Wii Fit, Rosalina, Palutena and Bayo last time but you can never have too many I say.

zferolie

Smash Hero

It's been an honor and I hope you all will keep rallying for her~ My focus is now shifting to be 100% on campaigning for Ashley despite the many hurdles in her way. Maybe one day both of these Magical fighters make their way in~
I want ashley too, but i feel that an Assist trophy to fighter is less likely to happen then Spirit to fighter. I would love to be wrong though

So, since Verge seems like he’s on the money this time, but only knows some of the picks, and we have some precedent for character additions (dlc or base), I’m going to predict the following as DLC:
Yeah... Verge whenever he says something is right. He didn't predict Piranha plant though~ I am expecting an SE rep, and a Minecraft rep as well, unless its a Banjo rep and a minecraft stage, but the former is looking more likely.

I am not sold on that we have to get a new FE rep. If Rex didn't get in due to the game being designed late, then no way a three houses rep is happening,. Same with a Gen 8 pokemon.

Shantae until we are told otherwise, still has a chance. I can see for sure spirits becoming fighters.

I also think we will get a new 1st party franchise, most likely a retro. Can't list all the choices here but Mach Rider, Ayumi, Donbe and Hikari, and more are possible

Oh god please no.

3)Shantae
4)Banjo
I don't want steve either, but I have to see verge being right... Doesn't mean it hurts shantae at all though.

Speaking of verg, has he said anything today?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I want ashley too, but i feel that an Assist trophy to fighter is less likely to happen then Spirit to fighter. I would love to be wrong though
That's why I'm putting all my focus on it. I want it to be known that promotions are wanted. I absolutely don't think it'll happen in the first (And hopefully not the last) wave of DLC. Sky's the limit and She's my absolute most wanted at the moment

Yeah... Verge whenever he says something is right. He didn't predict Piranha plant though~ I am expecting an SE rep, and a Minecraft rep as well, unless its a Banjo rep and a minecraft stage, but the former is looking more likely.
He didn't publicly state it, but there was a video going around with Piranha Plant that some user on Resetera had. He knew about it but since the video was watermarked with a person's name nobody publicly said anything about it until after.

zferolie

Smash Hero
To be fair, Jigglypuff is just a random Pokemon, who honestly wasn't that huge till smash.

That's why I'm putting all my focus on it. I want it to be known that promotions are wanted. I absolutely don't think it'll happen in the first (And hopefully not the last) wave of DLC. Sky's the limit and She's my absolute most wanted at the moment

He didn't publicly state it, but there was a video going around with Piranha Plant that some user on Resetera had. He knew about it but since the video was watermarked with a person's name nobody publicly said anything about it until after.
Well I wish you luck. I have a feeling this won't be our only wave of DLC, Nintendo won't let it haha. They said recently they plan on having DLC be a big focus in the future, and supporting this game for 2-4 years via DLC? Its too easy to make money that way. 5 characters a year for 3 years minimum? thats 90 characters this game could end with.

Really? I never saw or heard anything about that we sure this wasn't something they claimed afterword?

Well if you count a parasite using Samus's Phazon suit for an exoskeleton as a female then ain't gonna judge.

In all seriousness I do agree there have has been a certain lack of female fighters this time around and it would be nice to see more. Granted we did get Lucina, Wii Fit, Rosalina, Palutena and Bayo last time but you can never have too many I say.
Yeah I would like more females, But Daisy and Isabelle are in, and both of them look amazing(Isabelle looks so fun and adorable I am maining her HARD!)

Hopefully DLC will give us some female fighters. Shantae for 1, and more too(KOS-MOS, Ayumi, 2B since her booty is everywhere, and Reimu)

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Honestly, I never thought I'd be hyped for a freaking Piranha Plant.

And as for the whole not liking the characters not being the real characters...it's never been that way. They've always been TOYS. Ever since Smash64, they've been toys in the imagination.

And final note...plain and simple, I'm buying the Fighter Pass immediately when I'm able to. I have no reason to not trust Sakurai on this game. Still gonna rep my girl cause Shantae deserves it. But until then, I think :ultlucina:'s still gonna be my "main". Though I plan on playing a LOT of different characters. Gotta try out the Belmonts!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly, I never thought I'd be hyped for a freaking Piranha Plant.

And as for the whole not liking the characters not being the real characters...it's never been that way. They've always been TOYS. Ever since Smash64, they've been toys in the imagination.

And final note...plain and simple, I'm buying the Fighter Pass immediately when I'm able to. I have no reason to not trust Sakurai on this game. Still gonna rep my girl cause Shantae deserves it. But until then, I think :ultlucina:'s still gonna be my "main". Though I plan on playing a LOT of different characters. Gotta try out the Belmonts!
God the more I see of that stupid plant the more I want to play it.

Yeah Since the first game they have been toys, and I always considered it. They are toys but still have all the same personalitys, traits, and quirks of their games, so nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, Sakurai has earned my trust for this game and anything he makes in the future. If he can make ****ING PIRANHA PLANT a legit good looking fun fighter, I trust him with anything.

As above, my new character mains will be :ultisabelle: and :ultdaisy:, but will still have my old mains of :ultyoshi: :ultzss: :ultpalutena: and :ultjigglypuff:

Last edited:
Top Bottom