• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
OK, I am about to go on a ****ing Isabelle defending rant.

So I dunno if everyone already established this since I skipped about 4 pages or so, but Isabelle IS NOT a semi-clone. Not even close. She has a WHOLE THREE MOVES that she shares with Villager. Dash Attack, Up Special and Pocket. I don't even count grab because like everybody shares most grabs. That is about as much of a semi-clone as Mario is with Luigi.

I think the big issue is that her trailer started with Dash Attack of all things it could have started with, and then everyone just immediately went blind to her moveset for the entire remainder of the trailer. She doesn't even do the Lucas/Roy thing because she gets a different side and down special.

Also, I am super hyped for her, and people NEED to accept that our imaginary ballots are NOT the end-all-be-all. I can GUARANTEE you that Isabelle was up there in the top eschelon of the polls, especially in Japan.

I know this is a Shantae support thread and everyone is down in the dumps after not seeing her, but I had to post this.
Look guys I know some here are a bit mad about no Shantae. But guys we still have next month and November for new fighters to be shown. So do not give up on her.

WayForward's silence and lack of her in other crossover fighters shows that something is happening. If she is not in the base roster and not an AT then we can consider her as an potential DLC fighter.

I am downloading Torna The Golden Country Expansion right now so we have something that will help us pass the time. So please guys do not give up. I will not give up and still pray for Shantae

#ShantaeForSmash

EDIT: Oh hey, Now I am a Smash Ace.
I am completely relaxed about all this, guys.

Sure Shantae wasn't confirmed. But she wasn't deconfirmed either.
She's still in the race.

There really is no reason to feel negative about Isabelle's reveal.
Shantae's chances are still the same as they were before.

Sure it sucks that she wasn't the one who was revealed and thus finally puts an end to all that hoping and worrying.
But it's not over for her yet.

Relax, people! :3

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I got a bit pissed last night on the heat of the moment which is not fair for Isabelle who is not that bad of a newcomer.
I just wish they treated Daisy like her ( giving her some unique moves and not these abilities supposed to be Peach's signatures).

As for Shantae, she is still in the running. They clearly need a Smash-direct to announce a new series' representative. She WILL get in, the waiting process just seems endless...

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Any way you slice it she's still highly derivative of Villager. Technically unique and actually unique are two completly different thing. Most the moves were obviously merely reworked villager moves with different animations rather than a completly new moveset built from the ground up. Calling Isabelle unique to villager would be like referring SS4 peach as a different character from Ultimate Peach. Or Brawl Pit and Bowser different characters than Ultimate Pit and Bowser.
If you don't think Brawl Bowser is a completely different character than Ultimate Bowser, I don't know if you played the right games lol.

Sigh... this isn't the place to do this but let's break down her moveset:

Probably Forward Tilt: Squeaky Hammer; Nothing like Villager's

Up Tilt: Broom Wide Arc; Nothing like Villager's

Dash Attack: Like Villager's

Nair: Pom-Pom; Nothing like Villager's

Probably Up-Smash: Stop Sign; Nothing like Villager's

Side Smash: Party Popper; Nothing like Villager's

Down Smash: Water Bucket; more like Inkling's--nothing like Villager's

Neutral Special: Like Villager's

Up Special: Like Villager's, but a completely new animation at least

Side Special: Fishing Pole; Easily the most unique command grab in the entire game

Down Special: Lloyd Launcher; a more interesting version of Snake's Brawl Claymore--nothing like Villager's

Grab: Like Villager's

Like unless EVERY move we haven't seen yet mimics Villager you couln't say she's even a semi-clone. As for using Villager as Isabelle's base: of course they did that. It has been long confirmed they basically start every character off the foundation of another, if applicable. Why do you think there are so many shared moves across the whole roster?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Like I said, not everyone here is miffed and greedy about Shantae.
I'm fine with how the thing went down.

But let me bring up something else, since it has been on my mind for a while:
Why are people so afraid of Shantae being number "69"? o_O
It's just a number. So what's the problem?

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576

Oh, I remember that username! Weren't you a founder of the Shantae fan portal way back? I don't even remember what my username was on that site but I used to frequent it years ago!

Also I never got the 69 joke myself haha

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well, 69 is the name of a position in sexual intercourse, and a lot of haters are already saying that Shantae fans only want her to be in the game because they're all horny, or some crap like that. There would be a lot of stupid jokes surrounding her making it in as number 69.

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Well, 69 is the name of a position in sexual intercourse, and a lot of haters are already saying that Shantae fans only want her to be in the game because they're all horny, or some crap like that. There would be a lot of stupid jokes surrounding her making it in as number 69.
The people who say Shantae fans are horny are the same people that consider Corrin and Robbin their Waifus.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Well I'm ready to take these stupid allegations if it means Shantae is playable in the game.

But do the numbers really matter in game ? Aren't they just for the website and annoucement ?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

It's because the number 69 is associated with a particular sexual act, so people are having fun with the fact tht Shantae being an attractive girl would get the most sexual number.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Oh, I remember that username! Weren't you a founder of the Shantae fan portal way back? I don't even remember what my username was on that site but I used to frequent it years ago!

Also I never got the 69 joke myself haha
That was long ago. But yes, I was part of the staff back then. Not the founder though. ^^;
But as it turned out in the end, i was never fit for such a position...
Oh well.

...that's it?

God, people can be so stupid... >.<

Akod

Smash Rookie
Just here to show my support for Shantae. She would be an interesting character to play with. I loved Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie hero. She would totally be a great addition.

Also I think her transformations from Half-Genie hero would work better as Smash attacks and her items as specials.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yup, it's super stupid, but there are unfortunately still some people who are like that.
I mean, it's no secret that people can be stupid and petty at this point.
But come on!

If that's the extent of it, why are you guys so panicy about it?
Do you really care that much, what a bunch of toxic, ball-less losers are saying?!

If some random guy declares all numbers beyond 68 mean something dirty and sexual, would you guys rather not want Shantae in the game at all?

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm still not putting any stock in Vergaben and you shouldn't either.

Sure, he's been coasting on some lucky guesses since E3, but my biggest problem with the guy is that he can't commit to anything. Somehow he magically knows that Pokemon we're NOT getting, but can't say for sure what one we are getting. He claims to know about a Square character and even knows that character's name (according to the Geno thread), but refuses to put his reputation on the line and say what character that is. That to me tells me he doesn't want to risk putting his reputation on the line which is something only LeakyPandy did. Vergaben wants all the credit, but none of the blame if he's proven wrong.

He never specified if Isabelle was going to be an echo or unique. Isabelle was a very easy guess that most of us were making. He had no idea about K Rool or Richter.

The fact that he's unwilling to make commitments and doesn't know everything are why I can't put any stock into his credibility and we all need to stop treating his word as gospel.

The fact that he hasn't mentioned Shantae is a good thing and it could prove that WayForward's NDA is very effective.

I also think we can completely discount Loz18. He kept on teasing Issac and Skull Kid, but we got neither. At this point I think Skull Kid is a likely boss and not playable. Loz18 is simply a troll who wants the attention.

So there's no reason to get pessimistic about Shantae. She could still very well be in the base roster and if she's not in the base roster then I'm confident she'll be DLC.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
What if, instead of the pirate theme for a reveal. What if Peach is having a party with the toads and cake and we see it from a first person perspective as Peach or Daisy is welcoming someone, then Bowser bursts in stealing the princess. The Toads ask to help and she jumps out the castle saying Ret-2-Go zooming out to reveal Shantae. I know a lot of people are going the Toon Link route, but I started thinking of fun alternative reveals. :rotfl:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Sure, he's been coasting on some lucky guesses since E3, but my biggest problem with the guy is that he can't commit to anything. Somehow he magically knows that Pokemon we're NOT getting, but can't say for sure what one we are getting. He claims to know about a Square character and even knows that character's name (according to the Geno thread), but refuses to put his reputation on the line and say what character that is. That to me tells me he doesn't want to risk putting his reputation on the line which is something only LeakyPandy did. Vergaben wants all the credit, but none of the blame if he's proven wrong.

He never specified if Isabelle was going to be an echo or unique. Isabelle was a very easy guess that most of us were making. He had no idea about K Rool or Richter.

The fact that he's unwilling to make commitments and doesn't know everything are why I can't put any stock into his credibility and we all need to stop treating his word as gospel.

The fact that he hasn't mentioned Shantae is a good thing and it could prove that WayForward's NDA is very effective.

I also think we can completely discount Loz18. He kept on teasing Issac and Skull Kid, but we got neither. At this point I think Skull Kid is a likely boss and not playable. Loz18 is simply a troll who wants the attention.

So there's no reason to get pessimistic about Shantae. She could still very well be in the base roster and if she's not in the base roster then I'm confident she'll be DLC.
I am not paying attention to any "leakers", just saying.
i don't even think anyone can truly leak anything at this point, since the game isn't out and nobody has access to the game's data.
So really, these "leaks" should be called "predictions" instead.

As for how he hasn't mentioned Shantae yet. I am betting he doesn't even know her.
Can't predict anything, if you don't know about its existence. ;)

And yes, I am not getting pessimistic about Shantae.
Like I said, I am composed about all this.

She wasn't confirmed, nor deconfirmed.
As long as she doesn't get revealed as an Assist Trophy, she has a shot for the playable character spot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That was long ago. But yes, I was part of the staff back then. Not the founder though. ^^;
But as it turned out in the end, i was never fit for such a position...
Oh well.

...that's it?

God, people can be so stupid... >.<
Its the internet. What do you expect. And I don't care if she is 69, she would be in the game and a sexual position wouldn't ruin it (even if its a great sexual position *is shot* )

I feel like he got told some things. he has his sources, and is both right and wrong sometimes. Still, I doubt he knows everything. given the fact he's only saying a 7th gen means he doesn't know everything. so if he doesn't say it doesn't mean its not happening.

I am certain skullkid is a boss, and not just because of Leakpandy. it feels like Sakurai would rather make skullkid a boss as that would better represent him. Unlike Ridley who is a main antagonist of metroid, Skullkid was a bad guy in 1 game, and thats it. and in that 1 game, he showed powerful magic and skills, which could lend itself better as a boss. I see him just flying around in the air, doing magic and transformasion till you hurt him enough, when it becomes majora's warth.

And yeah, I am still pretty sold on Shantae, mostly due to Wayforwards non-actions. either base or dlc

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Didn't Vergeban say there wasn't any Donkey Kong representation in Ultimate? Wouldn't that discredit him already?

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Vergeban say there wasn't any Donkey Kong representation in Ultimate? Wouldn't that discredit him already?
That was in a PM that he sent to Loz (who posted that PM without Verg's permission), in which he states that one of his sources said that there would be no DK reps, but he said that he found it hard to believe. That's also where his mention of Incineroar came from.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
That was in a PM that he sent to Loz (who posted that PM without Verg's permission), in which he states that one of his sources said that there would be no DK reps, but he said that he found it hard to believe. That's also where his mention of Incineroar came from.
All the more reason why I don't think either of them are credible.

We also shouldn't discount the possibility that Nintendo is deliberately putting false information out there to weed out potential leakers.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
All the more reason why I don't think either of them are credible.
And yet, Verg hasn't been proven wrong on anything as of now. Of course, I don't fully believe him (people should always be skeptical of leaks), but I think he has gotten enough right to merit being taken seriously.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

You do know what 69 entails right? That's why we are afraid of that number.

But no need to hard on isabelle. She's a good pup. And really does deserve to be in.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
And yet, Verg hasn't been proven wrong on anything as of now. Of course, I don't fully believe him (people should always be skeptical of leaks), but I think he has gotten enough right to merit being taken seriously.
While he might have gotten info awhile ago, it sounds like he hasn't gotten anything new for a long time. not a single bit of new news other then, Hey Square is getting another character, and we all guessed that already. so I doubt he will have any big leaks again

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
Tbh no matter who appears as number 69, I'm going to joke about them being the sexiest character. The more mundane the character the better though haha

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
To be clear, my stance on the 69th newcomer is and has always been "I'd really prefer we weren't," but I'd still be ecstatic.
Getting in at the cost of a stupid joke and not getting in at all is a no brainer decision.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I didn't before this, because I am not interested in anything sexual at this point.
But yeah, it was explained to me. And it's a very stupid thing to be afraid of.
I'm gonna go conspiracy level here, but it relates to WayForward and their 60k thanks tweet. Essentially, certain people on here seem to think that the 60 portion of the 60k is important in relation to Smash. Then the range of the 60's goes from 60-69. This conspiracy hinges on Shantae being confirmed before 70.
Good God we take everything from tweets at face and conspiracy values XD

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
To be clear, my stance on the 69th newcomer is and has always been "I'd really prefer we weren't," but I'd still be ecstatic.
Getting in at the cost of a stupid joke and not getting in at all is a no brainer decision.
Why does it matter though?
It's just a stupid number.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Shantae fans are coming under some severe fire from haters today for some reason. First, DeviantARTists innocent drawings of her are getting removed along with their accounts, now people are coming out of the woodworks targeting vocal supporters like me.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Why does it matter though?
It's just a stupid number.
Well, I'm not saying it's a huge negative, just I would prefer not to deal with the jokes, heckling, and dumb stuff like that.
It's like stubbing your toe, you don't want it to happen because it's a minor inconvenience, but if it does it's just a small thing that lasts a couple seconds.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Cultural consideration: 69 doesn't mean the same thing in Japan. I think it's irrelevant. If she's the next reveal it won't change because of her number

NukeA6

Smash Master
Shantae fans are coming under some severe fire from haters today for some reason. First, DeviantARTists innocent drawings of her are getting removed along with their accounts, now people are coming out of the woodworks targeting vocal supporters like me.
After all the butthurt I'm seeing, the fanbase isn't looking too good and are big targets. Keep this up and people will look Shantae the same way as most look at the Ashley and Daisy fanbases.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Why?! That's just crazy! :(

NukeA6

Smash Master
It basically went like this:
Close enough (if we're adding the thumbnail to the end). I like Shantae too much to want her ending up as the butt of the Smash community's jokes. I just hope there's no mass freakouts if we somehow end up getting Goku or by an even crazier chance, Shrek

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey how're you all doing today? Recovered a bit from yesterday?
Getting back into gear, though I suspect things will be slower for a little bit, and I think that can be good too.

Just a heads up, I may change my avatar to something Isabelly for a while :)

Top Bottom