• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, there is an Ultimate edition for the game:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/764300/Shantae_HalfGenie_Hero_Ultimate_Edition/

well... looking at the date it came out in may... so maybe it doesn't change anything lol. They'd known by then im sure..
HGH Ultimate was announced near the start of this year, if I'm not mistaken. If anything, the name might have been a lucky coincidence, although I wouldn't be shocked if things are actually going on behind the scenes even before then.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Even the trailer itself shows hints : the way they show word by word " Jammies mode is here, " similar to " everyone is here " from the direct.
Announcing that " A new transformation has appeared " similar to the way Smash games would announce a new foe.
Lastely, it says that they specifically made this free DLC because they want to thank the fans... Thank the fans for what ?
Perhaps for making Shantae possible in smash through our determination and votes ?
And then we know about the conversation with Mimic, the words "Ultimate" and "Everyone" ( which are the trademark words of this iteration of smash )being used a lot as well as the word "invitation" because Shantae aims at handing invitations through the mode, which didn't fail to remind me of smash too.
I may overanalyze and be blinded by my desire to see her in though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhNzTfP0Og

I could clearly see the begenning of Shantae's trailer with Mimic making his way to wherever Shantae spent that ultimate slumber party ( Risky's ship it seems ) early in the next day's morning to hand her that prized invitation for smash with all her proud friends around. Risky would snatch the invitation and kick everyone out of the boat with the help of Pirate K.Rool and tinkerbats before leaving the harbor. She'd have a victorious laugh before finding out that Shantae somehow managed to make it on top of the mast as a monkey. She'd turn back human again and throw K.Rool in the sea with a salty hair-whip before going face to face with Risky... who would be playable as well in a perfect world hahaha
Risky and the Tinkerbats would likely be a stage hazard if not assist trophy.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Shante would be awesome, but if Shovel Knight got the boot i wouldn't be surprised if Shante did either. I still support though.

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
Please add me to the list of supporters. I voted for her in the polls (along with King K. Rool) and thus has been my top fighter yet to be confirmed (or deconfirmed!) for Smash. I would be absolutely floored if she made in it Smash, for both Shantae/WayForward themselves and indie games as a whole. :D It would be really nice to see her long history on Nintendo systems be rewarded with her inclusion.

Let's go, Half-Genie Hero!

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
The "Wayfoward is being too quiet" is my favorite crazy Smash newcomer theory.
Shantae is scaling quick into my new "top 5 newcomers I want" list. But Im still deeply concerned on how the Shovel Knight fans would react to her being picked instead. They seem like a cool and reasonable bunch. But you never know.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shantae is scaling quick into my new "top 5 newcomers I want" list. But Im still deeply concerned on how the Shovel Knight fans would react to her being picked instead. They seem like a cool and reasonable bunch. But you never know.
I think there will be a bit of salt, but I don't think it will escalate. For one, they seemed to take the assist trophy very well. And Yachtclub is made up of former Wayforward employees, so I think that will help soften the blow as well.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think there will be a bit of salt, but I don't think it will escalate. For one, they seemed to take the assist trophy very well. And Yachtclub is made up of former Wayforward employees, so I think that will help soften the blow as well.
I'm just gonna love seeing the reactions on Reddit, Gamefaqs and dear god 4chan's /v/ the salt and meltdown will make such lovely, wonderful schadenfreude.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What, you don't want to rub it in their faces?
jk. But really I would've thought it's one or the other anyway, because I don't see them doing both.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
The "Silence is Deafening" theory is my favorite too. It's so out of character for WF and Matt. No passive "hey that be cool we are open to it", Nothing.

Also the more crazy fans of a fandom will always screech, we unfortunately have some on our own side.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The "Silence is Deafening" theory is my favorite too. It's so out of character for WF and Matt. No passive "hey that be cool we are open to it", Nothing.

Also the more crazy fans of a fandom will always screech, we unfortunately have some on our own side.
And the funny thing is, anyone who does not know WF or Matt will say "Oh, your grasping at straws." But it is super weird that neither of them has even mentioned the idea of Shantae for Smash since the since the ballot aftermath, even when Ultimate was announced and especially when SK was announced as an assist trophy.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's nice to see how active the thread has been in recent days despite my own inactivity as of late.

I hope you all can forgive me for that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's nice to see how active the thread has been in recent days despite my own inactivity as of late.

I hope you all can forgive me for that.
Who are you?

nahh I'm just kidding! lol

D

Deleted member

Shantae was my vote for the Smash 4 fighter ballot. I've played all of her games and, of the two indie characters I'd love to have in Smash, Shantae is the most realistic option.

Sorry Lilac. D:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
All this theorizing is getting my hopes up.

When smash was first announce, my first two thoughts of wanted newcomers were Shantae and Ridley. But I figured neither was likely.

Now Ridley is in, looking awesome, and Shantae has a legitimate shot of being in too. It's crazy awesome.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Honestly, Shantae seems like such an impossible idea to me that even just seeing her as an AT would be amazing for me. But if she were to get in as a playable character?

I... don't know what I'd do. I don't usually see myself as the fanatical fan overreacting and in stunned disbelief but that would easily take the cake for me.

That said, I do at least have some hope for her to show up as an AT because I noticed WF being quiet long before coming into this thread. >_> (I stalk Matt Bozon as well. =P)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For me her chances to be playable have gone up over 35% at this point, maybe even 37 :O
But really, I think she has a good chance. And I don't feel like I'll be overly disappointed if she doesn't get in. I'll just be freakin happy if she does.
I don't feel that way about everyone though. Terra's chances are not as high as Shantae, and yet I'll be disappointed not to see her. But like I've said I'll heal my disappointment, I don't think it'll affect my hype for the game much.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
But Im still deeply concerned on how the Shovel Knight fans would react to her being picked instead. They seem like a cool and reasonable bunch. But you never know.
Their reactions could be toned down if she is introduced properly during the direct ( explaining her history with Nintendo ect ) for most SK hateful fans don't even know about Shantae and choose to trashtalk her anyway.

All we can do is hope, but if she unfortunately doesn't make tu cut, we can guess from what Mimic said ( end of jammie's mode ) that we'll at least probably get a new game for the franchise which would be equally as good ! :D

Btw, with the obvious multitude of DLCs we'll get, chances are really on our side especially if we keep being vocal :D

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I really hope they don't turn into a toxicity like some parts of the Waluigi or Ashley fanbase did (of course nit everybody). I've not seen Dixie fans attacking King K. Rool ones, nor Dark Samus fans attacked the Ridley ones.

And if they really became untorelable I will just ignore them. If they can't accept that a character with 4 games and 16 years of histpry made over a character from a single title barely 3 years old then IDK what to say to them, especially since they are on the same level of popularity.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Not sure why I never commented here before. I love the Shantae series and have played all the games. Needless to say, I think it'd be extremely cool to see her in Smash, so you can put me on the support list if you like.

I actually got into Shantae due to my love of "Monster World IV". It's one of my favorite games of all time, and Shantae really reminded me of it, so I became a fan of the series pretty easily. I would seriously love for MW IV's Asha to make some sort of cameo in a Shantae game, lol.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Honestly, Shantae seems like such an impossible idea to me that even just seeing her as an AT would be amazing for me. But if she were to get in as a playable character?

I... don't know what I'd do. I don't usually see myself as the fanatical fan overreacting and in stunned disbelief but that would easily take the cake for me.

That said, I do at least have some hope for her to show up as an AT because I noticed WF being quiet long before coming into this thread. >_> (I stalk Matt Bozon as well. =P)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...w5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=1483868529
According to this which is a compilation of multiple ballots to simulate what the actual ballot might look like, she was in the top 5 of third party characters. An indie rep in Smash would be huge and there is no better candidate for it than Shantae due to her history with Nintendo. Plus she is another female rep and has vast moveset potential. I think she has a much better chance than most potential newcomers.

Staarih

Smash Master
All we can do is hope, but if she unfortunately doesn't make tu cut, we can guess from what Mimic said ( end of jammie's mode ) that we'll at least probably get a new game for the franchise which would be equally as good ! :D
Yeah, this is actually pretty reassuring. "Everyday is a new adventure" and "You'll have to be well rested and ready to go" and whatnot does give a sense of WayForward probably already brainstorming ideas for a new Shantae game, which would definitely help keep the franchise strong. Well, duh, there's really no reason to drop it either haha! They've been working on HGH since 2013, so I'm more than ready for them to jump onto something new.

And while I'm super excited for whenever Shovel Knight's King Knight campaign comes out, we have no idea what they intend to do with SK in the future, so I feel like when it comes to longevity, Shantae does indeed have the upper hand. Not that I like to compare SK and Shantae, it's getting pretty repetitive.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'll be honest, I never thought Shantae was viable for the longest time until I saw that Shovel Knight AT. I hope she can make it in for her long time dedicated fans.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
If there’s gonna be an Indie rep, it has to be Shantae or Shovel Knight. And with Shovel Knight as an AT, there’s only one option. Oh well, she’s always been my preferred choice anyway. Go ahead and add me to the supporters.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
After Ashley, I've learned not to get my hopes up for characters I want in Smash, but Shantae is probably now my most wanted character.

If there was ever an Indie character to be made playable, it would be Shantae. She has seniority over Shovel Knight and has a longer history with Nintendo than he does. I think she would have a much more unique moveset.

The fact that Shovel Knight is even in the game means that Nintendo is acknowledging Indie characters. If there is going to be an Indie rep, SK and Shantae would have been the top choices.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shantae is the best and most voted for female, besides the Inklings (girl).
I think that's something to consider too. I definitely think she deserves a spot as a newcomer for sure. I just don't know how much that factors for Nintendo, but I would think it does to some extent. And there's plenty of other reasons for her too :)
I think I'm at 40%(+) now, lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a question for you all. What side characters from Shantae(Risky, Rottytops, Sky, Bolo, etc) do you hope make an appearance, and if they do, what role do you think they would play?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a question for you all. What side characters from Shantae(Risky, Rottytops, Sky, Bolo, etc) do you hope make an appearance, and if they do, what role do you think they would play?
At the very least, the major supporting cast members will get trophies if Shantae is in. My guess would be either Rottytops or Risky Boots for the potential AT.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At the very least, the major supporting cast members will get trophies if Shantae is in. My guess would be either Rottytops or Risky Boots for the potential AT.
The best scenario to me is Risky and her Tinker Tub being a boss, Rotty being a AT, and the other side characters appearing in the background of a Shantae stage.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The best scenario to me is Risky and her Tinker Tub being a boss, Rotty being a AT, and the other side characters appearing in the background of a Shantae stage.
I could also see the bosses from Half-Genie Hero being random stage hazards in a travelling Shantae stage.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want Squid Baron as a stage boss so we can get that glorious "What happened!?" face when you beat him in 3D HD quality.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I also kind of like the idea of Twitch and Vinegar as an assist trophy. They pop out, jump ofscreen and do a few flyby barrages in their aircrafts from HGH then combine and do a final blast before leaving.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
What day did you guys say the Indie Direct is going to appear? Maybe there might be a hint of Shantae in smash? I already know someone already asked, but I dont believe anyone truly answered though.
It occured approximately every six months so far, which means the next one could come in September/October if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they'd make such a big announcement during a direct devoted to indie games who already struggle to have their spotlight, for it would overshadow all of them, but I could be wrong ^^

I was also thinking, "what if Shantae simply makes it as another assist trophy ?"
Which powers would she have ? Just hair whipes ? No, it'd look shallow and not representative of her, the half-genie, at all.
An animal transformation ? Just one ? Same, and lazy on top of that.
Then they'd have to model more animal transformations ... Putting so much effort in an AT ? Not worth it.
Let's just please a big bunch of fans and create surprise : make her a revolutionary, not-seen-before, unique goddamn fighter !! And have some much needed female representation on top of that !

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's a fun question. If Shantae could have one alternate costume, what would you want it to be?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, I hear WayForward has been quiet about Shantae in Smash? If that is true, exactly how quiet have they been?

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
So, I hear WayForward has been quiet about Shantae in Smash? If that is true, exactly how quiet have they been?
Quiet enough to assume they're under an NDA, or quiet enough that if Shantae doesn't get into the game in any capacity they're going to have a lot of confused and crushed fans wondering why they never said a peep.

Top Bottom