• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man I would die if we got shantae, but I don't want to get my hopes up. On one hand, she is more a third party then an Indie, seeing how many games she has and Wayforward being in the business for a long time. That could up her chances.

On the other while her popularity is strong is it enough for smash? AT seems more likely, where she just changes into random animals, and with Rathalos and Bomberman and Shovel knight, we know a series can be repped only with an AT

So I am keeping low expectations but man I would be extact for her. Christina Vee in a smash game also is a big plus

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Shantae does happen, she would be one hell of a blindsider pretty much none of the casual gaming community would expect and would totally be in character for Sakurai to save her as a potential final reveal.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'd like be added to the supporter list, as Shantae now has my full support, after seeing shovel knight confirm that indies can be repped in smash!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I'd like be added to the supporter list, as Shantae now has my full support, after seeing shovel knight confirm that indies can be repped in smash!
You have been added as well.

In addition for everyone on here, I made some minor updates to the front page by updating the message at the top and bottom, putting in the original moveset idea for Shantae in a spoiler, and generally adding some text to define certain categories.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Huh, I could have sworn I was listed as a supporter but I don't see my name. Then again it was from one of the older threads.

Add me, si vous plait Yellowlord Yellowlord ? :)

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Shantae does make the cut, would Risky Boots be the assist trophy or any of Shantae's friends?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
If Shantae does make the cut, would Risky Boots be the assist trophy or any of Shantae's friends?
Risky is the more obvious choice. As she brings Tinkerbats in to the mix.

But you could pick just about any other character for an AT.

Rotty Throws her head at people.

Bolo can swing his pikeball

Sky can throw birds

Uncle can have an experiment go wrong and effect the fight in any number of ways.

Ammo baron can bombard the stage

Squid baron could be like the Goldeen of the ATs and be mostly useless.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Having those cannonballs with tinkerbats in them drop down onto a stage would be fun too. Don't get me started on poop toot either!

Also, MrBozon seems to be having fun with Pokemon Go on his twitter. Walking in on an Abra on the toilet and everything.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If we do get Shantae, I expect dance through the danger to come along as her main song. It would be absolutely amazing having that play when on her home stage (or probably a dk stage if she doesn’t end up with her own.)

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
If we do get Shantae, I expect dance through the danger to come along as her main song. It would be absolutely amazing having that play when on her home stage (or probably a dk stage if she doesn’t end up with her own.)
As much as I love DTtD, Her main theme should be Burning Town
But absolutely DTtD should be one of her stage songs.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
In terms of her assist trophy, for me it’s a tossup between Risky doing her moves from her fight in HGH and (Though it’s not Shantae, it’s still a Wayforward property) Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force.

My idea for the latter is summoning her would also spawn the blocks from her game and while she’d go around the stage shooting her pellet gun, her helmet would change the blocks between transparent and solid on a timer. They’d act like platforms when solid, but they’d screen KO you if you get caught inside their transparent state when turn solid, she’d can be KOed as well, and the blocks can be used to do so if you can hit her into them.

The only idea I have for Rottytops is her throwing her head to latch on and bite opponents, but I feel that may be too similar to the Metroid and Klaptrap

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man I would die if we got shantae, but I don't want to get my hopes up. On one hand, she is more a third party then an Indie, seeing how many games she has and Wayforward being in the business for a long time. That could up her chances.

On the other while her popularity is strong is it enough for smash? AT seems more likely, where she just changes into random animals, and with Rathalos and Bomberman and Shovel knight, we know a series can be repped only with an AT

So I am keeping low expectations but man I would be extact for her. Christina Vee in a smash game also is a big plus
Not to mention that Inti Creates, a Japanese company, was heavily involved with co-developing the two most recent entries. Also, Shantae's gotten way more popular in Japan than SK, in the time between the end of the ballot and now.

In terms of her assist trophy, for me it’s a tossup between Risky doing her moves from her fight in HGH and (Though it’s not Shantae, it’s still a Wayforward property) Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force.

My idea for the latter is summoning her would also spawn the blocks from her game and while she’d go around the stage shooting her pellet gun, her helmet would change the blocks between transparent and solid on a timer. They’d act like platforms when solid, but they’d screen KO you if you get caught inside their transparent state when turn solid, she’d can be KOed as well, and the blocks can be used to do so if you can hit her into them.

The only idea I have for Rottytops is her throwing her head to latch on and bite opponents, but I feel that may be too similar to the Metroid and Klaptrap
I was thinking that they could even have Fin and Guppi from Xtreme Sports as ATs. Really obscure, yes, but they did come from Shantae's early years (as well as being Bozon designs).

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shantae better show up as either a playable character or an assist trophy

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I feel like with SK in that possibility is very high which excites me to no end.
I feel the same way, especially since the last game had no indie related anything in the game, and with SK as an AT, Shantae’s chances in joining the big time is massive

Last edited:

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
I feel the same way, especially since the last game had no indie related anything in the game, and with SK as an AT, Shantae’s chances in joining the big time is massive
CommanderVideo had a trophy in four.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Coming in to say that while I'm no longer too much of a fan of Shantae (for a couple of reasons) that I'm 95% sure now that she'll be appearing in the game, and leaning towards fighter, but at minimum Assist Trophy. With how consistent Shantae/Shovel Knight was in being neck and neck in terms of popularity it simply doesn't make sense to show Shovel Knight off as an AT without then following it up with Shantae next. Shovel Knight by default skyrocketed her chances to be included. The inclusion of one makes the absence of the other that much more suspicious.

From a strictly logical standpoint this is, without question, the moment where every single card is stacked in Shantae's favor. She was always the most likely indie fighter to me, and the only thing I could think of holding her back was if Smash was accepting of indies. Obviously that's no longer the case. Even her other negatives that made me drop out of her series technically benefit her because it's only something that's appealing to Nintendo.

With how fighters are being almost purely chosen from the smash ballot now (the ONLY fighter so far that's been out of left field has been Richter I legitimately had no idea who he was, and he was an echo fighter) and the presence Shantae had, it's simply too likely at this point to even consider that she won't make an appearance.

(BTW there's a good chance this might be my last post in this thread unless someone wants clarification on my thoughts or she gets revealed)

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
We've been talking extensively about how Shantae could be a fighter and her move set, but what if she was an assist? I think her assist trophy moves would be her dancing and transforming into a random animal form before attacking and transforming one more time with an attack before she disappears.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know it’s been awhile since I’ve stopped here. Hello once again guys.

Anyways, now that Shovel Knight is in the game, I hope Shantae gets recognition as well.

Those two are like a friendly rivalry, they go together hand-in-hand.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We've been talking extensively about how Shantae could be a fighter and her move set, but what if she was an assist? I think her assist trophy moves would be her dancing and transforming into a random animal form before attacking and transforming one more time with an attack before she disappears.
Wasn't there an assist like that in Smash 4 with some old school character?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Given how a lot of these new AT's seem to be simplified fighters to an extent, (Alucard and Zero are a more complex then say Samurai Goro)
Pretty much what we have thought of her as a fighter would translate well in to an AT,

If it were me, I would have her come out and attack like normal, but halfway though her lifespan (assuming they have a time limit) then she transforms into one of her animals and attack some more

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I guess if she might appear as an assist trophy, this would be how I imagine she’d work (with some added hair whipping of course):

I was thinking that they could even have Fin and Guppi from Xtreme Sports as ATs. Really obscure, yes, but they did come from Shantae's early years (as well as being Bozon designs).
But what would they do as an assist trophy? (Apologies that this question is old news, was busy before)

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Coming in to say that while I'm no longer too much of a fan of Shantae (for a couple of reasons) that I'm 95% sure now that she'll be appearing in the game, and leaning towards fighter, but at minimum Assist Trophy. With how consistent Shantae/Shovel Knight was in being neck and neck in terms of popularity it simply doesn't make sense to show Shovel Knight off as an AT without then following it up with Shantae next. Shovel Knight by default skyrocketed her chances to be included. The inclusion of one makes the absence of the other that much more suspicious.

From a strictly logical standpoint this is, without question, the moment where every single card is stacked in Shantae's favor. She was always the most likely indie fighter to me, and the only thing I could think of holding her back was if Smash was accepting of indies. Obviously that's no longer the case. Even her other negatives that made me drop out of her series technically benefit her because it's only something that's appealing to Nintendo.

With how fighters are being almost purely chosen from the smash ballot now (the ONLY fighter so far that's been out of left field has been Richter I legitimately had no idea who he was, and he was an echo fighter) and the presence Shantae had, it's simply too likely at this point to even consider that she won't make an appearance.

(BTW there's a good chance this might be my last post in this thread unless someone wants clarification on my thoughts or she gets revealed)
Hey yo, I remember you from previous support threads. If you don't mind sharing, I am curious to hear your reasons for no longer being much of a Shantae fan.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I guess if she might appear as an assist trophy, this would be how I imagine she’d work (with some added hair whipping of course):

But what would they do as an assist trophy? (Apologies that this question is old news, was busy before)
Yeah, the stuff in your spoiler is exactly what I expect her to be like as an assist trophy.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The reason I don't think she's an assist trophy is I think they kinda already showed off the slew of items, Pokemon (unrelated but how do you add the accent?) an ATs already that they want to. If I remember correctly fro Smash 4's directs they showed off new ATs and Pokemon in one direct and didnt show off more in any directs unless they were in one of the Smash blogs of the day right?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The reason I don't think she's an assist trophy is I think they kinda already showed off the slew of items, Pokemon (unrelated but how do you add the accent?) an ATs already that they want to. If I remember correctly fro Smash 4's directs they showed off new ATs and Pokemon in one direct and didnt show off more in any directs unless they were in one of the Smash blogs of the day right?
The thing is we only have about 40 known assists, when we have been told that there will be more than 50. I have the distinct feeling we will get one more AT roll call.

Top Bottom