• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

I am a HUGE shantae fan, and as so I would love to hear your opinions on whether she can make it in or not, and a explaination on as to why you think she could possibly make it or not.

Personally, I think she can. She is a nintendo character at heart, which is a awesome bonus but not needed though. She fits PERFECTLY in a game like smash, with a fun attitude h a unique moveset to boot, developing her should be rather easy. She's a very popular character, she was rather high on the smash ballot & the Shantae: Half genie hero ultimate version on the switch is doing great, and not only is Wayforward extremely willing, but she would the perfect first indie rep. But please let me know what you all think!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@SapphireBlastX Since there was already a thread for Shantae, I merged yours with the current one here. Just letting you know, in case you want to re-write what you said.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alright thanks. But real quick, is that thread in smash ultimate or a sepreate group?
You're replying in the thread that's for Smash Ultimate Newcomers, so...

But yeah, Ultimate.

When merging threads, it means I take two threads and put them together. Both threads were in Newcomer Speculation. The forum didn't change at all.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
The incredibly optimistic part of me is taking this silence as "they know something but don't want to blow cover until the reveal happens because they don't want Sakurai to send his ninjas after them"

...or something like that. Let me dream T_T
I've thought that too, but it's probably not true. But it is possible, and after finally getting my most wanted in, I think I might dare to dream that my newly promoted to most wanted character, Shantae, is in too.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
At the end of the day, I got Wolf back so I’m satisfied.

...though I would really like to see Shantae Ret-2-Go!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Unfortunately most of the characters I want are assist trophy likely such as Marx and Phoenix Wright, so I'm really pulling for Shantae since I think she has the best chance out of my top ten most wanted.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Hey everyone: it's been quite a while. I apologize for my extended period of absence these last few months: I intend on being a lot more active on here especially in light of Smash Ultimate's recent reveal. While I can't say for sure on how this reveal affects Shantae in general, I'm not going to rule her out at all since she's fair game still and has not been deconfirmed by any means. It's all really up to what Sakurai thinks in the long run.

Here's a topic of discussion to help get something going after my long period of absence: how have you guys been enjoying the DLC for Half-Genie Hero if you've had the chance to play it? I still need to play through the game myself at some point, and I intend on doing this going into the summer.
Don't sweat it man, we all get busy sometimes. Good to see you on here again.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of E3 impressions on here. I am still... surprised Sakurai made having every single veteran in the game his main goal. Do we really need EVERY character back? I would much rather give new characters a chance to shine than grandfather characters like Young Link back into the game just because they got one appearance once. It is bad news for Shantae's chances, and also for every other potential newcomer's chances as well. All because apparently we just need to have the joke version of Pikachu back.

Let's look at some numbers to get a sense of what bringing back all the veterans might actually mean. I don't know how to make tables on here, so pardon the informal layout:

This is not including DLC.

_______________Roster increase________Newcomers________Previously cut
_____________from previous game_______________________veterans returning
Melee______________14___________________14_________________0

Brawl______________13____________________18_________________0

Smash 4____________12___________________17_________________1

Ultimate_____________?____________________3+_________________7

The roster increase from the previous game is surprisingly consistent across the franchise. If we expect Ultimate to stay in line with that roster increase, then we would be looking at 12-14 more characters than Smash 4 had. Since 10 of those are already accounted for, that would mean only 2-4 newcomers. On the other hand, if we are talking about a 12-14 increase over the Smash 4 roster with DLC included, then that number becomes 9-11 more newcomers in the base game. That would result in a total of 12-14 newcomers in Ultimate, which is also in the same ballpark as previous titles, albeit on the low end.

That is on the assumption that current trends continue with the next title. That is far from certain. Still, roughly 9-11 more characters (including echo fighters) seems like the most reasonable estimate. As little as 2-4 more is also a realistic scenario though.

I think the biggest hope now is for DLC. All of those numbers I looked at apply only to what we will get in the base game. Smash 4 had 7 DLC characters, and there are good reasons for thinking that Smash Ultimate will have more. First, due to the success of the Switch, Smash Ultimate will sell a lot more copies, and thus DLC for it will be a lot more lucrative than it was for Smash 4. Second, while development for Ultimate began only a couple years after Smash 4 released, it will probably be quite a bit longer before the next Smash starts development, meaning they have a much longer timeframe. Finally, there is a good chance that they used DLC for Smash 4 as a sort of trial run for Smash Ultimate DLC.

I can't predict how many DLC characters there will be for Smash Ultimate, but I think it will be more than the 7 we got for Smash 4. And necessarily, all of those DLC characters will be brand new.

Also Yellowlord Yellowlord you asked what our thoughts were about the Half Genie Hero DLC. I haven't played the costume pack, but I did play the Risky DLC and the friends DLC. It took me a little while and a few upgrades to get into it, but I thought the Risky gameplay was pretty fun. The Bolo/Sky/Rottytops gameplay was okay, but not as good. The main thing that hampered my enjoyment of the DLC is that it takes place on all the same levels again. By the time I finished Shantae's campaign, I had already played through all of those levels so many times that frankly, I was getting pretty tired of the same levels over and over. That's why I haven't picked up the last DLC pack, I just am not really interested in playing through Mermaid Falls for the millionth time. Don't expect much in the way of storytelling from the DLC either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like Shantae a lot, heck I'd count it as love 'er to a good extent.

But I dunno man, Indie Reps seem like a faraway thing right now and as much as I love her, she would probably not be the first choice.

That said, she has great potential, and because of that, I'll root for her.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Correction: the plan was completed, but actual development didn't happen til later. Times have changed, and he's had time to take that into consideration. I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight's support wasn't so big back then, so who knows what else has changed since.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
I like Shantae a lot, heck I'd count it as love 'er to a good extent.

But I dunno man, Indie Reps seem like a faraway thing right now and as much as I love her, she would probably not be the first choice.

That said, she has great potential, and because of that, I'll root for her.
Ha you LOVE Shantae whataloser!

hehe....I love her too.

So the project plan for Ultimate was completed around December 2015. Source:
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

So where does everyone think Shantae stands with this new information?
Well hopefully that rumor of him visiting WayForward back in October of that year is true, cause that would be huge for her chances.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When was the last time WF REALLY mentioned Shantae in Smash type talk on twitter, and I dont mean THE last time I mean the last time that was relatively recent between mentions. at what point did WF just STOP in regards to Smash related tweets and rewtweets?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
When was the last time WF REALLY mentioned Shantae in Smash type talk on twitter, and I dont mean THE last time I mean the last time that was relatively recent between mentions. at what point did WF just STOP in regards to Smash related tweets and rewtweets?
I tried checking their tweets and I could not go past March 2016. None of their tweets from then all the way to now don’t mention Smash, in fact, I wonder if I missed a “thanks for your support on the ballot” tweet. Might be earlier though...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think she has a fair chance due to one overlooked factor I already mentioned in the Ultimate general: some of her games have had involvement with a Japanese company.

Assuming that Inti Creates decided to have one of their owned IPs represented in Smash in some way (either Gunvolt or BM Zero), it wouldn't be entirely out of the question that they'd vouch for WF and Shantae while negotiating with Sakurai (and maybe even Yacht Club Games and Shovel Knight at the same time, given how good of a relationship Inti has with those guys).

This alone would give her the edge above most indies that aren't related to Cave Story, IMO.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Ah, Shantae... Ever since I played The Pirate's Curse, I pretty much fell in love with this character. So much in fact, that I wanted to see her in Smash since late 2016.

So by all means, consider me as a supporter for this Half-Genie hero, as I'm all open arms for her inclusion for Smash Ultimate!

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
With most polls I’ve seen showing her getting more votes than Krystal, i kinda wonder how well did she do on the fighter ballot?

Count me in on support the “half-genie hero” for Smash Ultimate!

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
While Shantae has earned a place in Smash, I seriously doubt she will ever make it in. Sakurai seems against ever having a western character be a fighter in any smash game, even if literally all their games are on Nintendo consoles. It's sad but it's true.

I don't think there is a more deserving potential newcomer than Shantae but unfortunately I just can not see her ever being in Smash with the way Smash is. Just like how there will never be any other Western character in Smash.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
While Shantae has earned a place in Smash, I seriously doubt she will ever make it in. Sakurai seems against ever having a western character be a fighter in any smash game, even if literally all their games are on Nintendo consoles. It's sad but it's true.

I don't think there is a more deserving potential newcomer than Shantae but unfortunately I just can not see her ever being in Smash with the way Smash is. Just like how there will never be any other Western character in Smash.
You'll be surprise. Let's just wait and see if Shantae dances across the stage in this Smash game.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Question for all of you.

As you know, third party characters and franchises can now show up in non-playable forms (Bomberman, for example). While I'm sure most of us would prefer if she were a full playable fighter, how would you feel if she was given an Assist Trophy role along with the likes of Shovel Knight or Quote? How would you also feel about them being a Mii costume or just a regular Trophy?

I don't really expect to see any indie characters making it in as a full fighter, but winks and nods to the indie scene are entirely possible. Like with Bomberman, I'd prefer to see her as a full fighter, but her getting any amount of recognition in Smash would be great.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I'd be happy with Shantae as an assist trophy, but only if no other indie character was playable. That kind of nod to the indie scene is perfectly reasonable to me.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
It's better then nothing. While it's a very pessimistic way to say it. Having shantae in any form is only a good thing.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hi, count me in as a supporter for Shantae. Our Half-Genie Hero should be included in Smash.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I would love to see Shantae as a playable character and I've loved all 4 of her games. But I'm not sure about her being in the base roster. However, I think her chances would skyrocket as a potential DLC fighter. She would be fantastic for that.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
It's been a while since I've been on here, and since the first announcement of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate I've been reworking my ideas for some of the newcomers I want to see in (attempting to limit myself and prioritize the ones I %100 want to see in), and I'd like to share my ideas for Shantae in Smash again. Just so I'm not flooding the page with information, could someone please remind me how to incorporate a drop-down box/spoiler box?

Staarih

Smash Master
Just so I'm not flooding the page with information, could someone please remind me how to incorporate a drop-down box/spoiler box?
Up on the bar with the all the text modifying options (bold, cursive etc), next to the Smilies-icon there's an "Insert"-option (the three dots) - when you click that, you can choose "Spoiler".

Tadá!

I'm interested in seeing your ideas!

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm sure you guys feel the same way, but I think that if this game has a character from an indie game, Shantae is definitely the front runner.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Stop posting the Forumotion stuff. It's not on-topic. Stop spamming your Twitter. It's often inappropriate, especially when it has nothing to do with the topic.
Question for all of you.

As you know, third party characters and franchises can now show up in non-playable forms (Bomberman, for example). While I'm sure most of us would prefer if she were a full playable fighter, how would you feel if she was given an Assist Trophy role along with the likes of Shovel Knight or Quote? How would you also feel about them being a Mii costume or just a regular Trophy?

I don't really expect to see any indie characters making it in as a full fighter, but winks and nods to the indie scene are entirely possible. Like with Bomberman, I'd prefer to see her as a full fighter, but her getting any amount of recognition in Smash would be great.
Haiku: I'm working hard for Shantae & Risky♥Boots as New Comers in Smash!

Personally wise, I've preferred Shantae & Risky Boots as 2 New Female Comers Full-Playable Fighters in this iteration of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's ♪(PERFECTION)♪! I want Bolo as just a trophy & 2 New Assist Trophy are Sky & Rotty Tops in Smash Ultimate to be strictly honest, hopefully-fam!

P.S: Yellowlord Yellowlord ! Please, update the Shantae Thread Supporter's list to finally add my name: Raheem The Dream Raheem The Dream ! I mean, I'm The Best Supporter from last time Shantae's Thread & especially I was CREDITED like more than 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 times before back in the Smash 4 3DS/Wii U Days ago!

&

&

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a reminder; embedding twitter posts that are completely off-topic are spam. In addition, linking to offsite stuff just for the sake of it, when it's beyond off-topic is also spam.

Lastly, if a moderator edits out something of your post, that means it was not allowed to be there.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Alright, so after a number of revisions, here's all of my ideas for Shantae's representation in Smash Bros. Ultimate. This includes moveset, stage, music, etc. (some spoilers for the games may be needed to for better explanation) Please feel free to provide any necessary feedback.

Neutral Attack: whips her hair to attack up to 3-times in succession (Both the down tilt and neutral aerial also use the hair whip)
Dash Attack: Slides forward with her feet up (Rottytops race from GBC game)
Forward Tilt: Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse
Up Tilt: Flicks her hair in an arc similar to Greninja

Forward Smash: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game, propels her forward a bit
Down Smash: Puts her hands together and shakes her hips forward then backward (uses the dance mapped to the A button in the first game/elephant dance from Risky’s Revenge)
Up Smash: 2-hit spin kick from the first Shantae game

Forward Aerial: Based off her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around.
Back Aerial: Thrusts her hip back similar to Peach
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand upward creates a small flame that hits multiple times
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Though not really a tether, Shantae can use her hair to grab opponents from a reasonable distance; she’d hold her opponent with her hands and pummel them with her knee.
Forward Throw: She bumps her opponent with her hip.
Back Throw: Backflips and throws the enemy into the ground, continuing her momentum until she lands back on the ground (inspired by her Recover animation from Pirate’s Curse)
Down Throw: She throws her opponent to the ground and pulls out a Storm Puff to zap them with
Up throw: Throws her opponent up and hits them with a single fireball

(I’ve been pondering the possibility to have all her specials tied to a magic meter)

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for around 10 sec., possibly shield and B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack

Forward-Monkey (Low Damage, High Jump, Wall Climb)
Attack: Monkey Claw (overhead slash, easily combo with it)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash attack, similar to Fox Flash)

Down-Elephant (High Damage, Low Speed)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (Less Traction, Multiple Jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, but can fire multiple at a time)

(quick note, in the case of Kirby copying this move, I was just thinking he'd just use the Monkey Dash and his hat would resemble her monkey form)

Side Special: Triple Fireball-shoots out three fire balls-one straight forward, one angled upward, and one angled down, probably could cover half the length of Final Destination in distance

Up Special: Storm Puff-uses the puff to float upwards a bit before letting go, the puff will send thunder down upon release and disappear after

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, one Pike Ball revolves around Shantae. It lasts a bit longer but can’t be thrown.

Final Smash: Half-Genie’s Power: To start, Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then into the monkey to fly back and forth across the screen to attack captured opponents, and after would fly up off-screen to turn into a giant elephant to smash the opponents to the ground and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss at the end of Pirate Queen’s Quest)

On-screen Entrance: Either Shantae flies in on a magic carpet or warps in via Warp Dance, says "Ret-2-Go!" either way (VA: Cristina Vee)

Her taunts would consist of some of the belly dances from the GBA game, specifically the ones mapped to the D-Pad: (potential easter egg could have you transform to a Tinkerbat for a moment when you put in the button combination for that dance)

Idle Animations:
-Straightening out her hair like in Pirate’s Curse
-Imitates Rottytops’s idle stance for a bit

Victory Animations:
-Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games
-Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like in Super Shantae NAB)
-Landing from a jump and performing her Stage Clear pose from Half-Genie Hero

Victory Fanfare: Stage Clear jingle from Half-Genie Hero

Palettes:
-Red: Default (Design would resemble her portrait art from Half-Genie Hero, potentially with her vest from Pirate’s Curse too)
-Blue: The blue palette swap Backer costume
-Purple: Based off Nega Shantae (eyes would be yellow and pupil less)
-Green: Based off Rottytops
-Yellow: Based off Sky
-Navy: Based off Bolo
-Officer Blue: The Officer costume from HGH (Based off Mighty Switch Force)
-Officer Red: Red variant of the Officer costume (Based off Mighty Switch Force 2)

Other Details:
-She has the ability to crawl (and of course she'd have the same crouching animation from her games).
-Her default idle stance would be her full health dancing animation in Pirate’s Curse and Half-Genie Hero, but it'd change into the defensive stance from HGH after you take damage.
-Her Screen KO animation would resemble the one used in the Officer costume

Burning Town: A travelling stage similar to 3D Land based off the Burning Town sequence from the first game and Half Genie Hero. Starting out at the Lighthouse you cross the bridge travel through Scuttle Town as Risky’s ship fires upon the stage in the background (some of the stage would collapse when hit by the cannonballs). The stage stops moving at a section with platforms popping in and out of the background, moves through a more on-fire section of Scuttle Town then stops again once you get on Risky's ship as it travels back around to the lighthouse and restart the cycle. Risky will be on the ship to fire cannonballs across the stage, but a barrel of TNT will appear below her and attacking it would send her and any opponents in range flying.

MUSIC
Dance Through the Danger (Half-Genie Hero)
We Love Burning Town (Pirate's Curse)
Neo Burning Town (Half-Genie Hero)
Boss Battle (Pirate's Curse)
Boss Battle (Half-Genie Hero)
Scuttle Town (Pirate's Curse)
She's Got Moves! (Risky's Revenge)
Trip Through Sequin Land (Pirate's Curse)
Barrel-O-Mermaids (Half-Genie Hero)

Potential ASSIST TROPHY: Patricia Wagon (Mighty Switch Force)
Patricia runs around the stage and fires off her Pellet Gun to damage opponents, also faded out blocks will appear on the stage and they can become visible by her helmet automatically like in the last levels of her game, damaging opponents on impact, (if KOed with them, they'll always result in a screen KO) but providing can be KOed if caught in her own blocks (albeit with the screen KO from her game)

COLLECTABLE TROPHIES:
Shantae (Classic Mode)
Alt. (Her transformations)
Final Smash: Half-Genie’s Power (All-Star)
Risky Boots
Rottytops
Sky/Wrench
Bolo
Tinkerbat
Mimic

Last edited:
Top Bottom