• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shanghai, China - Community Thread!

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Hi guys,

This province - Shanghai, and even our country of residence, China, may not be well known globally, however, we're definitely a friendly group and we're quite healthily competitive so far. If you're interested, below are the details:

-Facebook Group: check it out! https://www.facebook.com/groups/smashcn/ (over 50 players! VPN necessary within China)

- WeChat Group: If you Private Message me, I'll add you into it! (over 30 players! No VPN needed within China)

- Youku (aka Chinese YouTube): Coming Soon!

By the way, the best news is that, for anyone thinking about passing by, or even those who are planning to spend a longer amount of time here in Shanghai, we've even started hosting events recently!!!

By default, they're on Wednesdays, running bi-weekly (once every two weeks) and starting at 7:30PM at the awesome 'Zapfler Craft Beer Brewhouse' (42 Yongkang Road).

It's a very international, lively street with lots of great food nearby and a welcoming, friendly crowd!

If you'd like to confirm that we're actually meeting on a certain Wednesday before you make the trip down, your best bet is to join our Facebook Group, WeChat Message me if you have me added, or reply here on SmashBoards (I'm subscribed to this thread via email).

In the mean time, for any Shanghai players just looking to hang out, feel free to talk Shanghai Smash here (even though we have the Facebook group as our main hub), and if anyone from outside the country is curious about us and how we're currently operating, feel free to ask questions within here too.

P.S. Maybe we can start a Shanghai Power Ranking in this thread after we grow a bit more.

Now then... Let's BUILD THE SCENE!!

Last edited:

Azotal

Smash Cadet
Everything is going well. As of right now, we're very active in the wechat group. We're pretty active on FB as well. Definitely connect with us :)

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Hey guys, just want to make sure that anyone nearby knows about our latest event Smash meetup + potential tournament, too, since we've been getting good numbers recently; which is taking place this Wednesday 19th at 7:30PM at Zapfler Brewhouse, Yongkang Lu, Shanghai.

Here's the link to my original 'Shanghai Reddit' event announcement post here: http://redd.it/3h400k which provides a lot more detailed information you may wish to read.

Also, here's a link to the venue itself on tripadvisor should you wish to take a quick look at what you can expect it to be like: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...44760-Reviews-Zapfler_Brewhouse-Shanghai.html

Last edited:

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
To anyone reading and interested in this events, we've been hosting consistently the last few weeks, every Wednesday as usual, to a strong turnout (particularly thanks to Reddit's /r/Shanghai from what I can tell). We get around 15-30 people at these events usually and have some cool beer and pizza deals arranged with the manager also.

So, if you're considering coming down this Wednesday 9th, or at some point thereafter, get involved in the group WeChat or Facebook groups ahead of time so that you can stay up-to-date on all the information the tournament organisers and players here are putting out!

Azotal

Smash Cadet
We alternate tournament days and casual days. This week is casual, next week is smash 4 tournament. Then casual, then melee tournament.

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Smash 4 singles is tonight, these events are normally quite popular, so I hope to see some SmashBoards expat kids show up too!

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Well, we're finally at 100 Facebook members and over 80 wechat members.

We've also just finished running our 5th tournament (as well as a bunch of weeklies).

I guess we can officially say we've found our footing now.

If anyone is wondering if wondering if it's worth making contact with us. Even if you're not in Shanghai and are based somewhere else in China... Yes, it is. Get involved and get connected with us!

Kaptain Karisma

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kaptain_Karisma
I had to create an account to contribute to this thread. I've attended multiple events now and I must say it's an absolute blast! I used to be a casual smash player but eventually stopped playing. When I heard about the events I decided to show up and see how things went. Guess what? I Loved it! The range of players and friendly community is what makes these weekly events so much fun. So if you used to play, currently play, or are just curious, I highly encourage you to stop by and check it out!

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Thanks for the kind words. It's truly surprising how many visitors we get that have found us online, yet the SmashBoards and Reddit threads barely ever get replies from any of the lurkers lol...

Gogl4456

Smash Rookie
As a person who lives in shanghai, I never have found a smash community for this, its crazy how many smash players there is out there.

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Then for sure you should come by to the events and join the facebook group too!

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Our first 2016 event will be this Wednesday 13th January, in our new venue El Luchador, an awesome mexican food joint with a modern and spacious decor and lots of beverages to choose from! Check out all the event info here: https://redd.it/40en68

poolai

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a melee player who grew up in Shanghai but currently goes to school in Southern California! Are the biweeklies still happening? And would anyone be down to play friendlies in the near future?

alucard.ec

Smash Apprentice
There are regular meet ups at People Square, (Mostly Sundays and Wednesdays)
Check the Facebook Group (Smash China) or add us on WeChat (IM app here in China)

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
We are hosting a notable Shanghai vs Beijing tournament on 1/1 In Peoples Square, Shanghai, to kick off 2017! Add me on WeChat (sinth_technique) to get all the good notables!

Top Bottom