• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shame on you, Smashers

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Afaik it comes from Tekken, not MvC.

I actually had a similar discussion with a friend of mine a week ago, and a lot of Smash terminology (dash dancing and wavedashing in particular) comes from either MvC or Tekken. Short hop comes from SNK fighting games and Directional Influence comes from Soul Calibur, where you had slight aerial drift even while in hitstun, something that Rivals of Aether borrowed, albeit unintentionally, in the form of Drift DI.

The only things that don't have their roots in traditional fighters are either named after specific players (though even those are usually rooted in basic terminology like jump, dash, tech, etc.) or have something to do with mechanics that Smash has that other games completely lack - mostly stuff involving turning around (B-Reverse, (Perfect) Pivots, Reverse Aerial Rush) or ledges (instant ledge getup), but you have a few others like shield dropping or Bidou.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Wow, you can’t play more than one genre of fighting game.

I guess boxing game players also have to hate Smash and Capcom fighting game players

And Tekken players have to hate all three.

And wrestling game fans must hate all the rest too.

No one can play more than one sub genre of fighting game! Because games are that serious!

The man is an idiot.

Anyway, nice troll.

Last edited:

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Y'all do realize he was being sarcastic towards the end, right? Like, nowadays only stream monsters and Aris hate on Smash for the most part.

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
End of the day smash is still a fighting game. I don't understand what's the barrier you cant play Smash and MVC games at the same time there fighting games. There the same genre and there both competitive games thats what makes us fighting game lovers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom