• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shake Shake! Marina (from Mischief Makers) for Smash!

slambros

Smash Ace
So I decided that I wanted to make an interesting character support thread while I had the chance. But I wanted to think outside of the box and choose a character that many don't consider, even if the character itself has a miniscule chance of being playable in Smash (if there is any chance at all). And after a little bit of research and consideration, I've chosen Marina, the robotic maid from the Nintendo 64 game Mischief Makers.

"I'm sorry, what is she from again?"

Marina's game, Mischief Makers, is a 2.5D platformer on the N64. It was developed by the independent companu behind Gunstar Heroes and Sin & Punishment, Treasure, and published by Nintendo (in America and Europe) and Enix- a company that would soon merge with Squaresoft (in Japan). It was visually unique from the other games in the N64 lineup, but it suffered from mixed-to-average reviews and is now largely an obscure title.

"What would make Marina a good character?"
Gameplay wise, the character can run, jump, and boost (using a jetpack). I personally see her as a grappler type character, but she could easily be given rudimentary stuff like punches for smash attacks. Marina strikes me as a mixture of R.O.B. and Mega Man with a dash of originality thrown in for good measure.

"Does she even have a chance?"
That depends on the state of the developer Treasure and the answer to the question of who even has the rights to the character. A while ago, Treasure was rumored to be done making games... but I'm an optimistic guy. I think Nintendo, who sought after Bayonetta 2 themselves, may have been able to seek after Treasure for a new Sin & Punishment or a new Mischief Makers or something- I mean, they wouldn't need to, but any exclusives would help the Switch rather than harm it at this point. I feel like Marina's playabke inclusion would depend on whether or not Nintendo and Treasure got together, got an a-ok from Square Enix, and miraculously decided to develop a new Mischief Makers game, or at least remaster the N64 one from scratch.

"Why do you want Marina in Smash?"
Well, there aren't any characters with green hair in Super Smash Bros at the moment. And it'd be fun to hear Marina say "Shake, Shake!" everytime she grabs an opponent. Plus, it also helps that she'd likely be a well-rounded, fun character to play as. I'm well aware that Marina's chance is fairly nonexistant at the moment, but I still think it's fun to dream a little.

"Aren't there better characters to represent the N64 era?!"
Well, this is subjective. But I must say that if Nintendo does choose to put in a character for the sole purpose of representing the Nintendo 64 era, Marina really does have some competition. Maybe Goemon or a Pitotwings 64 character or Adeline from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards or Todd Snap or even Banjo & Kazooie all have an outside chance at stealing her thunder. Of course, we've learned in previous speculative eras that era-representation isn't necessarily the biggest priority Nintendo and Sakurai have when putting together the rosters.

Well, that's all I got. I'll create a list of supporters if people do want to support this character. And hey, we'll see what Nintendo decides to do with the forgetten gem of an IP this time around.

slambros
Organization XIII
SquashiniKun
PreedReve
SEGAGameBoy
Guybrush20X6
Kabutops
RandomgamerMax
KirbyWorshipper2465
Jazzy Jinx

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So I know this topic has been dead for about a month but you know you can never be too late to show your support. Feel free to add me to the supporters list.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Afaik, Mischief Makers isn't a Nintendo IP, they just had western publishing duty. So that seems like kind of a dealbreaker. Though I'd love Marina, she's a pipe dream among pipe dreams.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
**** YEAH! Mischief Makers was an underrated gem on the N64, even though it'll be pretty impossible to see her in smash, i'm gonna support this thread!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't think she has a chance in hell, but I'm down for some Marina

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
She'd be so ******* boss honestly. I'd love it but man does she have such tiny chances.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Moveset-wise, she has a wide range of items to pull from such as her guns and shurikens but I would love to see a throw focus.
Or maybe she's a quick in and out type of fighter who uses her ability to vault off opponents (her grabs fling her in her source material) to escape from drawn out encounters.

As long as she winds up faithful to her game, has the power to shake items out of her foes if she pummels enough (shake shake) and never touches a mop or broom, I'll be very happy if she does get in. Not that I expect it at all.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As the guy who made the support thread during Smash 4 DLC, count me in as a supporter.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Never played Mischief Makers but it looked like a unique and interesting game. I would definitely like to see underrated series like this one get representation in Smash. Count me as a supporter.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
She has virtually no chance but as others have stated, she's an awesome character!

I got her game from a close friend of mine that's super into retro stuff and was pleasantly surprised. I loved the quirky storyline and dialogue, as well as it being a super fun game to speedrun. It also controls surprisingly well for an older game.

You can consider me a supporter.~

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I am honestly shocked that this thread exists. Pleasantly, of course.

Marina is my dream "never-will". She is my number one most-wanted but I never talk about her because I know she will never happen. Any kind of Mischief Makers acknowledgement would be enough for me, but I've wanted Marina since shortly after Smash 64 came out. I used to dream about learning to mod Melee just to put her in somehow. She was the first Mii Fighter I tried to make. She was even the character I voted for in the Smash ballot, despite knowing she had a ghost of a chance. I just knew I couldn't let my voice go unheard.

She would be a grappling-based character no question, with a few other specials being based on the weapons you can get in the game like the missile launcher. However, I think down+B could be the Clanpot, which would work similarly to Villager's pocket or Oil Panic. Collect projectiles and items, and when there are three you mash down+b to fuse them into a much larger projectile or maybe even a useful item.

Up+B would be a variation on her boosters, but I actually see her jump working like Kirby's in that she gets a few using her boosters. Really, she would just utilize a lot of grabbing, throwing, and shaking.

I have three Final Smash ideas.

Idea 1: Galaxy Throw
Just like for Professor Theo when you defeat a boss, Marina grabs the enemy or enemies and tosses them so hard they leave orbit. Cut to them being commits up in space, and then after a moment they come crashing back down to the stage and go flying into the blast zones.

Idea 2: Blockman Rises
Marina grabs Teran who transforms into Blockman and makes his way across the stage, bringing destruction in his wake! This one is the most likely, but my personal choice would be...

Idea 3: The Beastector
"Through fire, justice is served!"
"A hero in shining armor is called."
"To punish evil forces, I have been charged!"

Lunar, Taurus, and Merco arrive to fuse their Mecha and form the mighty Beastector you face in the final battle and they bombard the stage with missiles, lasers, and mighty kicks! Or maybe they could fire off their arm missile, Marina catches it, heads to the foreground, and we have a reticle Final Smash like Bowser's new one. Either-or!

As for her stage, I've thought long and hard and I think it should be Clanball Land but it turns into Spike Land. It's a fun, idyllic representation of Planet Clancer with plenty of Clanballs to grab onto and cameos from Calina, Geold, Ondine, etc. I don't think it's a traveling stage, but the positions of the Clanballs and types of them could shift. Then, after a set amount of time it transitions into the much more dangerous Spike Land, full of spike ropes and hazards to avoid.

...Yeah, I've kind of put some thought into it. I don't just support her because she's "quirky" or "obscure", I support Marina because I always have and I always will. Even if I know in my heart of hearts it'll never happen, Mischief Makers is one of my favorite N64 games and Marina herself shaped my love of robots and is one of the most fun and memorable protagonists in one of the most fun and memorable games I've ever played. I'm in it for the long haul and you better believe I'll be waving her banner high every single chance I get.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know how you feel dude. My most wanted character is Goemon from my most favorite video game series of all time, the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series. I know he will never get in, but I won't let my voice about him go unnoticed anywhere.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know how you feel dude. My most wanted character is Goemon from my most favorite video game series of all time, the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series. I know he will never get in, but I won't let my voice about him go unnoticed anywhere.
Not to go too off-topic, but he's also on my obscure-but-should-totally-be-in list. Support group for those of us who support long-lost N64 legends.

(I know Goemon's been around longer than that, just let me have this. Haha.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not to go too off-topic, but he's also on my obscure-but-should-totally-be-in list. Support group for those of us who support long-lost N64 legends.

(I know Goemon's been around longer than that, just let me have this. Haha.)
What you thought was the better game: Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon or Goemon's Great Adventure? I pick Goemon's Great Adventure as my favorite N64 Goemon game.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
God I love this game. I happened to find an n64 copy of it like 5 years ago and fell in love with it.

Shame I never see her happening in smash, but I do hope she gets more games of her own!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
what if the long rumored square character was marina all along
I'd die.

Like, you don't even know. There's zero way that's happening. I don't even call her my number one most-wanted, I have to call her number zero because I know she's impossible. And yet, I've wanted her for twenty years.

I guess it'd prove the ballot was used for the picks, right? My one vote made the difference!

wimbearn

Smash Apprentice
Although not possible she will be playable, I'll support this :). Never played the game, but seen vids of it. "Shake, shake!" :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I support!
It was one of my favorite n64 games and i loved it quite a bit :)
Shook everything I could ;p

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Just popping in to say seeing this thread brought back some fond memories. Had a friend show me this game a long time ago and I decided to buy one online quite a few years ago. Never beaten this game, was tough for me if I recall. Really wanted a sequel or a Mischief Makers 2, though.
I know she probably has no chance, but if it matters at all I will support her.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well, I wasn't expecting new supporters for my impossible dream but I'm glad to see it! Welcome, everyone!

Top Bottom