• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown V - August 29-31! Congrats to all winners! Comments and Shoutouts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Shadowloo Showdown V! August 29-31!

https://www.facebook.com/events/583599885035611/

Pre-registration:
http://www.shadowlogic.com.au/shop

Venue:
CQ Hotel
113 Queen Street
Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia

Schedule (tentative):
Friday: 6pm onwards - Exhbitions

Saturday: 11am-4pm - PM + Melee Pools
6pm onwards: Brawl/Melee/PM doubles (to top 4)

Sunday: 11am onwards - All brackets

POOL ALLOCATIONS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a7_YAaqD2fs0rpcpdVCZE3wTMekmJr_Xrv_h0fxvYMo/edit

Rulesets:

Melee Ruleset

Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
General Rules

• Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is banned.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set

• Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind

• Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage

• The players play the first match of the set
      Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.

• Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
      For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
      For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

• The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.

• The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.

• The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.

• The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.

• The next match is played.

• Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Term Definitions

• Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
    • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
    • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority
    • DSR: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on.
    • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
    • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
    • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
      Players strike stages in this order

PM Ruleset

General Rules

• Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.

• Items are disabled.

• Input buffer is disabled

• All chain grabs and infinites are legal

• Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.

• You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.

• If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.

• Playing as Giga Bowser is banned
Doubles Rules

• Team Attack enabled

• Sharing stocks is allowed

Stage List
      Neutral Stages
      • Final Destination
      • Battlefield
      • Smashville
      • Pokemon Stadium 2
      • Dreamland (64)
      • Fountain of Dreams
      • Yoshi’s Story (Melee) [Singles Only]
      • Distant Planet [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
      • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
      • Lylat Cruise
      • Wario Ware
      • Green Hill Zone
      • Skyworld

Match Procedure
      • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
      • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
      • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes two(2) and the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
      • The players play the first match of the set
      • Winning player of the preceding match bans three stages from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
      • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
      • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
      • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
      • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
      • The next match is played
      • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Ruleset
  • 1 Stock
  • 3 Minute Time Limit
  • The winner is determined by a best of 5 set in most cases; winner's/loser's semi finals are best of 7 and winner's loser's finals and grand finals are determined by a best of 9.
  • Items set to “Off” and “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape and extended dimensional cape are banned.
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  • There is a 15 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
    • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
  • Modified DSR: A player/team may not counter-pick the last stage they won on in the current set.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR
  • The M2K rule: By entering this tournament, a player agrees to play their matches on any setup requested by the TO, and agree to have their matches recorded, commentated, and/or uploaded as the TO sees fit.
  • Any acts of forfeiting, match fixing, pot splitting and/or bracket manipulation are subject to punishment from the TO.
  • Scrooging is banned (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
    * If a player travels under the stage, they must land on stage before they are allowed to fly under the stage again. Landing on a platform or grabbing a ledge does not constitute landing on stage.
    *If a player is found to be performing the act of scrooging by a tournament organizer (by his/her discretion), the player will forfeit that match.
  • Players may request a double blind for character selection
Singles Stage List:

Neutral:
FD
BF
SV
YI (Brawl)
Lylat

CP:
PS1

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1)

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
some persepective: BAM had 71 melee singles entrants, and there were <5 interstate entrants?
with a strong interstate showing we can break 100

smopup

Smash Journeyman
If at least 50 people are going for melee I will defs be there.
Looking at BAM's turnout, that ain't going to be a problem.

I think this is at a slightly better time for me compared to last year's event. I really hope I can make it, it feels like it's been ages since I've been to Melbourne.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I throw out the number '100' because it's perfectly possible. If we can get 71 for BAM without qld/nsw attendance, it's really, really possible. Just gotta hustle.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Even if you don't play melee just pay that little bit extra to join singles I want to see that 100.

Just enter, get rekt and be proud that you were a part of the first 100 man tournament in Melbourne.

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
Need to advertise somehow. Letterbox drops Australia wide kgo.
When it comes to advertising, leave it to me. I can definitely surpass the expectation of 100 entrants. I'll definitely bring hype in both my game and advertising. In terms of interstaters, like Dekar said in the BAM thread in his shoutouts "you brought the hype, and I have no doubt you will continue to bring the hype. now your legend will spread interstate, and they will come from all over to challenge you. hype!". Interstaters will definitely want to come to Melbourne because they love hype. That is the reason a tournament is made, HYPE. Shadowloo Showdown is also where Smash careers are elevated and this can definitely give the interstaters a chance to elevate their Smash careers. I can definitely feel a storm brewing in the air, and that storm is good. Advertising will start right away.

Also, for exhibitions, in order to bring even more hype, we should make trailers for each of them kinda like the Salty Suite at APEX this year how they had like a bio of each of the players before the match. Also, I propose SurPr15e vs Grim Tuesday: Battle of the trash talkers at Shadowloo Showdown.

@ Meredy Meredy I accept your challenge.

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
SuPr15e, My wii has a player entry named 'Pr15e' which I'm assuming it's you, which means you play P:M too right? Which game is our MM on? I'll play P:M or Melee, though P:M preferred.

Anders

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely be there. It's my first tournament though so I'll probably only just make it into the top 8.

Awesome to see that so many people are keen to travel for it though. Interstate crew battles?

Hughie

Smash Lad
Top 8 on your first tournament? I like this guy's attitude!
Seriously, my logic is that you can only place well if you think you can place well. You can't win anything going into a tournament just saying that you're gonna get bopped.
YOU JUST GOTTA BELIEVE sebby

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Can't come to shadowloo unless someone can get me there
perhaps at a closer date, post in the vic smash fb group and ask if people live near your location, you might be able to get a lift or at least catch a train/bua with other smashers

Basty

Smash Ace
perhaps at a closer date, post in the vic smash fb group and ask if people live near your location, you might be able to get a lift or at least catch a train/bua with other smashers
I live in tasmania so that probably won't happening

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Top 8 on your first tournament? I like this guy's attitude!
Seriously, my logic is that you can only place well if you think you can place well. You can't win anything going into a tournament just saying that you're gonna get bopped.
YOU JUST GOTTA BELIEVE sebby
This logic works so well! Luco approved. *tick*

:p

Last edited:

A Dumb Monkee

Smash Cadet
I can probably bring some advertising to the table for SS as I'll have finished my advertising course by then. I might be able to get cracking in June.

+ Dekar on digital marketing + SurPr15e with the hype = 100 melee entrants.

Last edited:

Vlade

Social Outcast
I really want to go to this and actually play smash this time around... but Pokemon Nationals is like a month before... so close yet so far...

Chappos

Smash Apprentice
I really want to go to this and actually play smash this time around... but Pokemon Nationals is like a month before... so close yet so far...
If you want nationals level pokemon play I can bop you any time.

There's a good chance there'll be a showing from us South Perth players, so you can't miss the party.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
if we can do two rounds of pools for the first time ever
I will truly feel professional

If we can improve on scheduling (a weak-point of BAM) I'd say it's definitely possible.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
hopefully we can get 2 days of smash, instead of trying to do 80% of everything on day 1
with bigger numbers than ever and 3 different games, smash needs this time

would mean we could have designated break/friendly periods and an amateur bracket for melee singles

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
hopefully we can get 2 days of smash, instead of trying to do 80% of everything on day 1
with bigger numbers than ever and 3 different games, smash needs this time

would mean we could have designated break/friendly periods and an amateur bracket for melee singles
Definitely.
Designated breaks should make all the other tournaments easier to run since people will have no excuse to be absent from matches.
With respect to the fact that we probably have players with interest in SF4 and other big fighters, we should be able to the break at an appropriate time for everyone.

There's definitely room for more Melee (2 round pools, amateur bracket) because we have a lot of cubes; Melee can constantly run while P:M and Brawl events occur at different times.
Pools for P:M this time would also be something to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom