• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Shadow Tag! - Chandelure Social Thread

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
Welcome to the Chandelure social thread where you can discuss anything Chandelure, Pokken, or anything really! Global Rules apply (as always).

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I know I'm supposed to be on Haitus
But I just came in here to say
Chandelure is best thing
Hex is amazing
Espeon and Umbreon go with Chandy so well
And he's so adorable and fun

...Carry on.

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
Yooooo. Does anyone know the use of Chandelure's charge and release strong attack is? It's that move where you charge it and get that orange aura, you release it and Chandelure just starts dancing or something and you can cancel out of it with any button, but I just don't understand what it does.

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
Incinerate? Or what move is it? The one where Chandelure turns orange and spins fire around it?

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Naw he's talking about the one where it kinda starts dancing with a bunch of lights spinning around.

According to the move list it speeds up recovery from negative status effects. Really though, the move list is super handy: it details the properties of every move beyond just the commands.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Heads Up- If you guys feel like Using Overheat more than one time a battle, equip cressalia as your assist pokemon and it'll remove the Overheat Debuffs.

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
Or you can use Espeon, which has the same effect to a lesser extent.
Naw he's talking about the one where it kinda starts dancing with a bunch of lights spinning around.

According to the move list it speeds up recovery from negative status effects. Really though, the move list is super handy: it details the properties of every move beyond just the commands.
Oh, so that's the move he was talking about. Huh, it's odd to actually perform the move in an actual battle, although I can see it having some use when Chandelure is at a distance.

Last edited:

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
This character seems really strong, I mean there isn't much of a meta to be had obviously but correct me if I'm mistaken, his pokemon attacks go through counters? So will-o-wisp, smog, flame burst, incinerate and overheat striclty beat pokemon attacks.

Really high damage output and massive buttons, not too great in tems of moving around the screen though he seems to be able to zone pretty effectively

Toad King

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToadKing
Heads Up- If you guys feel like Using Overheat more than one time a battle, equip cressalia as your assist pokemon and it'll remove the Overheat Debuffs.
You can also equip a support that gives a buff and use Overheat while the buff is on. Instead of debuffing it just removes the buff.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
I just wanna say that Chandelure is the best.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
So today I learned that synergy burst Hex when the opponent has a defense debuff plus a second debuff does over 50% life. This makes Espeon/Umbreon even nicer: Espeon lets you use Overheat with next to no penalty, while Umbreon is a get off me + inflicts the no criticals debuff. And while he has a slow charge, if you use standard cheer he'll be all set right off the bat for round 2, right around when your synergy gauge is about full. Happy hexing!

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
How many stages oh hex are there? I know there's at least two bit is it possible to get three?

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
I've never seen a third because the previous debuffs usually where off before someone is hit with a second or a third in any of the videos I've seen

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Went ahead and labbed it to confirm: you can only set two debuffs on your opponent at once, with a third over-riding the first. Also tested damage against an opponent with weakened defense:
Synergy Burst-boosted Hex with reduced defense + 1 other debuff = 260 damage
Synergy Burst attack with reduced defense = 250 damage

It's good people. Burst attack obviously has more utility with being combo-able and having armor and stuff, but Hex has its own setups and with that kind of reward for a long range grab...hoo boy.

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
Hex is probably one of Chandulere's best if not the best move in Chandelure's arsenal. It's ridiculous the amount of debuffs the move can apply.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Gosh darn it I didn't even notice there were character boards. :p
Hello fellow light fixtures, how's it hangin~?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
From what I've practiced with Chandelure, there aren't many close range options for us to take advantage of if the opponent closes in that aren't counters or grabs. I notice in my battles I'm losing a fair amount to this kind of flaw, any tips or advice?

Also, light fixture best character.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
From what I've practiced with Chandelure, there aren't many close range options for us to take advantage of if the opponent closes in that aren't counters or grabs. I notice in my battles I'm losing a fair amount to this kind of flaw, any tips or advice?

Also, light fixture best character.
Overheat is your panic button, use it if they won't let you away from a corner, as it beats everything except block. You might want to bring Espeon or Cresselia so you can heal your buffs, Chandy doesn't like having lowered speed.
The standard Y string can also be relatively safe on block, as Smog pierces counters, and if they block it they'll be pushed back enough for you to have a bit of room.
Down X is rather fast and can catch people off guard as well, and Up X goes fairly high, and can be used to avoid some attacks.
Other than that there's not much.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
If they're right on top of you I think back Y is your fastest melee button and you can end it with Smog instead of Will O Wisp to knockback counters. Speaking of which, Smog is also a counter attack, so that's something to keep in mind. Otherwise Overheat is usually your best bet, though I think it does get beat by command grabs as well. Burgundy Burgundy A Charizard Seismic Tossed me through it yesterday. =(

loincloth

Smash Rookie
Overheat is your panic button, use it if they won't let you away from a corner, as it beats everything except block. You might want to bring Espeon or Cresselia so you can heal your buffs, Chandy doesn't like having lowered speed.
The standard Y string can also be relatively safe on block, as Smog pierces counters, and if they block it they'll be pushed back enough for you to have a bit of room.
Down X is rather fast and can catch people off guard as well, and Up X goes fairly high, and can be used to avoid some attacks.
Other than that there's not much.
You can get knocked out of Overheat after you've been debuffed but before the hitbox comes out, though, unless I misinterpreted something in my experiences. It is still a good panic button, as noted, and a damn good move in general.

On support, I've been preferring more proactive options which generally means something that has a hitbox. But other angles are important, of course. I like Mismagius as a general option. Seems made for a zoner. It seems to me the Ninetails option in that set is not great for us, though. Emolga + Fennekin seems solid and on the simpler side. I thought about Espeon and Umbreon, but I have so far been pretty turned off by "slow" charge support in general. It's just too damn slow! But I am going to eye them more after seeing Umbreon in action. I might underestimate the value of some setups with them.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
First of all, I'd like to throw out the suggestion that Chandy is a female, that voice is too high pitched and adorable for a male.

You can get knocked out of Overheat after you've been debuffed but before the hitbox comes out, though, unless I misinterpreted something in my experiences. It is still a good panic button, as noted, and a damn good move in general.

On support, I've been preferring more proactive options which generally means something that has a hitbox. But other angles are important, of course. I like Mismagius as a general option. Seems made for a zoner. It seems to me the Ninetails option in that set is not great for us, though. Emolga + Fennekin seems solid and on the simpler side. I thought about Espeon and Umbreon, but I have so far been pretty turned off by "slow" charge support in general. It's just too damn slow! But I am going to eye them more after seeing Umbreon in action. I might underestimate the value of some setups with them.
I personally feel that Espeon and Umbreon are the best. Espeon for obvious reasons (heal and debuff cleanse, fast charge). others that can fill that role decently are Creselia and Eevee. my problem with them is that Crescelia can only be used once per round, and Eevee is a medium charger, which limits your use until later. Overheat with damage up is amazing though, which is why I mention Eevee in the first place.

As for Umbreon, I feel it's a great option if you find yourself getting rushed down. I usually use it round 2 though. I run the Special cheer (40% Burst if win, max support on both if lose) so I can have the option to use it right away. Round 2 is usually when everyone starts using burst, so using umbreon when rushed down can give you time to use your Burst, while removing some of theirs, giving you a few crucial moments to punish and possibly take the round.

also, a few side notes on some attacks: the cheer not only removes self debuffs when you use it, but it also extends the opponent's debuffs as well. how much? I believe for as long as you hold it out. so for example, if you use it 5 seconds, their debuffs last 5 seconds longer when you cancel it. still needs to be tested though. also a fun fact, if you activate it while the debuffs are about to disappear, the arrows over their heads will vanish, but the debuff will still remain (you can see it next to their health bar). it even works with hex if it hits.

Hex is an amazing move, but be weary of when you use it. the move will fail if they activate an attack from that range or they use a projectile move. There is also enogh lag on it for them to jump out of if they expect it. you gotta condition them to shield or counter before using it (which isn't hard when there's lasers.)

one of Chandy's best underused move is side + Y hold during field phase. it can also be used after one or two side + Y fireballs (not after three though since it activates the laser). this is an amazing mixup tool because it makes you move super fast in any direction, it's a great anti-air move, and it activates phase shift with them in range for a hex mixup.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
First of all, I'd like to throw out the suggestion that Chandy is a female, that voice is too high pitched and adorable for a male.
The gender of most of the Pokemon is really up to the player to decide. I personally like to think of Chandy as male. No real reason, it's just what I immediately put them as. They could still very easily be female.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I personally feel that Espeon and Umbreon are the best. Espeon for obvious reasons (heal and debuff cleanse, fast charge). others that can fill that role decently are Creselia and Eevee. my problem with them is that Crescelia can only be used once per round, and Eevee is a medium charger, which limits your use until later. Overheat with damage up is amazing though, which is why I mention Eevee in the first place.

As for Umbreon, I feel it's a great option if you find yourself getting rushed down. I usually use it round 2 though. I run the Special cheer (40% Burst if win, max support on both if lose) so I can have the option to use it right away. Round 2 is usually when everyone starts using burst, so using umbreon when rushed down can give you time to use your Burst, while removing some of theirs, giving you a few crucial moments to punish and possibly take the round.

also, a few side notes on some attacks: the cheer not only removes self debuffs when you use it, but it also extends the opponent's debuffs as well. how much? I believe for as long as you hold it out. so for example, if you use it 5 seconds, their debuffs last 5 seconds longer when you cancel it. still needs to be tested though. also a fun fact, if you activate it while the debuffs are about to disappear, the arrows over their heads will vanish, but the debuff will still remain (you can see it next to their health bar). it even works with hex if it hits.

Hex is an amazing move, but be weary of when you use it. the move will fail if they activate an attack from that range or they use a projectile move. There is also enogh lag on it for them to jump out of if they expect it. you gotta condition them to shield or counter before using it (which isn't hard when there's lasers.)

one of Chandy's best underused move is side + Y hold during field phase. it can also be used after one or two side + Y fireballs (not after three though since it activates the laser). this is an amazing mixup tool because it makes you move super fast in any direction, it's a great anti-air move, and it activates phase shift with them in range for a hex mixup.
I can vouch for the spin attack. It pierces counter attacks too, which pressures the opponent into shield. This can allow us to follow up with a grab, which will always land Defense Down in the field. All we need is a Will-o-wisp and we can land the fully powered Hex, but we can just go for the slightly powered Hex if the effects wear off or if the attack gets shielded.

On a side note, Smog is one of the most surprising moves I've seen. It can whiff on shield, but it the opponent attacks the remaining cloud, it disrupts the attack. I have caught some people off guard with it, which usually interrupts their combo and let's me grab them Hex or shift to Duel Phase

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
It should also be noted that the dance that Chandelure does when you hold X works like Suicune's high stance except it can be used in both phases. It's used to rid of debuffs which can come in handy when you use overheat and your opponent is far away. You remove while using it and you can cancel it by jumping so it's decently safe and should be taken advantage of when your opponent is far away. I don't know if you can hold A for minimize if the opponent gets too close I'll have to lab it later.

ShadowPillz

Smash Rookie
My god overheat is a amazing panic button. 180 damage without a defense debuff on your opponent can practically turn the tide of battle. So far it has won me a good amount of matches whenever my opponent's health is 180 or below

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Most close quarters combos (Poké Combo 1, High Stance X -> Y) will connect into a Burst Attack. For poke combo 1, do it instead of the smog attack, and the high stance attack is in the combo tutorial. However, if we land a raw Strong Aerial, it can connect into High Y, which will link into a well timed Burst Attack as well.

Count Bleck

Smash Cadet
....Huh. this thread is super dead atm ._.

No pun intended but.... TIME FOR A REVIVAL!

I found some really nice Chandelure matches on Bros. Calamity channel featuring PKSparkxx and thought you guys might like to check them out.

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
Really good spacing by PKSparkxx although I do feel the Garchomp was being pretty linear with his approaches. Hype sets though!

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
You might want to bring Espeon or Cresselia so you can heal your buffs
I find that Eevee works better, because you can use him to get a buff before using Overheat, giving the move more power and allowing you to do something else afterwards without taking time to heal debuffs. Also, unlike Cresselia, you can use him multiple times during the match.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
The problem is that Eevee can give away the fact that you are planning an Overheat, unlike Espeon or Cresselia, who can be used after the attack. The reason Overheat works so well is that if the opponent is committing to a close range approach, they can't retreat fast enough to avoid it.

Eevee gives away that surprise and forces the opponent to zone until the buff goes away. At that point, Victini is a better option since he can at least hit the opponent if they approach high.

Top Bottom