• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancellable Moves

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I know there are lots of other threads on Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancelling (SSHC for short) already, but the goal of this thread will be to put together a more comprehensive list of things we can SSHC out of, including %s that work and optimal direction.

What is SSHC and when does it work? Basically, you can use Greninja's side B (Shadow Sneak) when hit by a move that doesn't cause tumble and cancel the hitstun with a Shadow Sneak. For example, Metaknight's up air strings can be SSHC out of, making it an invaluable tool in the MU since it effectively takes away an important early kill setup. This is arguably the best use of his side B and has not been patched since the game came out as of the 1.15 patch, so we assume it is here to stay. There are times to use it such as getting out of potentially large combo strings or kill setups and there times not to use it such as when the move would cause enough lag that the opponent can punish it harder than whatever combo you got out of. This list is not supposed to list every single thing you can SSHC out of as we'd be here all day. Rather, we focus on moves that are practical to SSHC out of that don't entail being punished too hard or at all due to how laggy Shadow Sneak is. For example, most utilt strings are not good to SSHC out of due how fast juggling utilts recover, meaning they can continue hitting you after your endlag even if they whiff. In many cases, double jumping, FF shielding, or airdodging is still the best defensive option.

There are times where your positioning on stage (like being offstage) or the stage itself will create good oppotunities to SSHC. For example, you can SSHC Mario's uptilts if there's a platform above you and land on it which will force him to finish his combo with an aerial instead of more uptilts, potentially saving you damage.

Please note for the "%'s that work column", if "Any" is listed, that assumes any percent 200% or below (since we'd be talking impractical living % after this point). Some moves can no longer be SSHC out of as Greninja gains damage. Also, rage affects these %'s a lot, therefore consider this a very loose range of percents.

"Optimal direction" is simply either "away" from the move or "towards" the move (keep in mind you can only go left or right when Shadow Sneaking). Many of these are very situational since moves can have wide hitboxes and can hit with different parts, so use your best judgement when determining a SSHC direction. Assume mashing side B is the best way to reliably escape the combo unless otherwise stated.

Character | Move | %'s that work | Optimal direction | Notes
:4mario: Mario | Dthrow | Up to 47% | Away | None
:4metaknight: Metaknight | Up Air | Up to 38% | Either | None
:4metaknight: Metaknight | Shuttle Loop (1st hit) | Any | Either | Does not work if first hit was sweetspotted
:4bowserjr: Bowser Jr. | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4dedede: King Dedede | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4pit::4darkpit:Pits | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4pit::4darkpit:Pits | Fsmash (1st hit) | ? | Depends | Depending on how far they hit you with Fsmash 1, you can go either towards or away. Your goal is to avoid the second hit which has more range and power.
:4sheik: Sheik | Fsmash (1st hit) | ? | Towards| None
:4sheik: Sheik | Fair | ? (low %) | Away | Sheik can very easily punish a SSHC onstage, therefore best use of SSHC to stop a fair chain is do it offstage a little past the ledge, avoiding being sent too far offstage and allowing to be edgeguarded.
:4sheik: Sheik | Up air (2nd last hit) | See Linked | Towards | Better to time the SSHC, mashing may cause you to get stuck in the last hit
:4sheik: Sheik | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4zss: Zero Suit Samus | Fsmash (1st hit) | ? | Towards| None
:4zss: Zero Suit Samus | Boost Kick (2nd last hit) | ? | Towards | Better to time the SSHC, mashing may cause you to get stuck in the last hit
:4zss: Zero Suit Samus | Uair | ? (low %) | Either | None
:4ryu: Ryu | Utilt | Any | Towards | Have to be quick to react as the Ryu could opt for a Shoryuken right after the utilt as opposed to utilt chaining you. He can also read your SSHC and punish you.
:4falcon: Captain Falcon | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4diddy: Diddy Kong | Fsmash (1st hit) | ? | Towards | None
:4diddy: Diddy Kong | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4duckhunt: Duck Hunt | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4falco: Falco | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4fox: Fox | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4greninja: Greninja | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4kirby: Kirby | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4lucas: Lucas | Dtilt | ? | Away | SSHC doesn't work if tripped
:4marth::4lucina: Marth/Lucina | Dancing Blade (first 3 hits) | Any | Towards | None
:4metaknight: Meta Knight | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4metaknight: Meta Knight | Ftilt (first 2 hits) | Any | Towards | None
:4gaw: Game & Watch | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4ness: Ness | Dtilt | ? | Away | SSHC doesn't work if tripped
:4palutena: Palutena | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4robinm: Robin | Multijab (wind) | Any | Away | None
:rosalina:Rosalina & Luma | Multijab (Rosalina or Luma) | Any | Away | Be aware of Luma's positioning, if caught in the middle of both jabs, no reliable way to escape.
:4zelda: Zelda | Fsmash (any hit except last) | ? (low %) | Towards | None
:4littlemac: Little Mac | Multijab | Any | Away | None
:4metaknight: Meta Knight | Mach Tornado | Any | Away | Unlikely to escape tornado, but will most likely reduce damage taken (max damage is 23%)
:4luigi: Luigi | Down Throw | Up to 15% | Away | Helps to avoid early low% throw combos.
:4peach: Peach | Dsmash | Any | Away | Weird hitboxes make this inconsistent, but you have a good chance of reducing damage.
:4bowser: Bowser | Uthrow | Up to 37% | Either | Good for escaping low percent upthrow combos, but may be hit by the active hitboxes of the move.
:4dk: Donkey Kong | Spinning Kong (grounded and aerial) | ? | Towards | Weird hitboxes make this inconsistent, but can at least reduce damage taken
:4dk: Donkey Kong | Cargo Up throw | Up to 11% | Away | None
:4littlemac: Little Mac | Down tilt | Up to 50% | Either | Avoids setup into Up B and KO Punch, though this can be read and SSHC endlag can be punished
:4link: Link | Upsmash (first 2 hits) | Any | Depends | Can still be caught by the 3rd hit, depending on where the first 2 hits position you
:4link: Link | Fsmash (1st hit) | Any | Towards | None
:4tlink: Toon Link | Fsmash (1st hit) | Any | Towards | None
:4samus: Samus | Uair | Up to 20% | Depends | None
:4kirby: Kirby | Dair | Any | Either | None
:4kirby: Kirby | Fair (first 2 hits) | ? | Away | None
:4rob: Rob | Uair (2nd last hit) | Up to 100% | Depends | You can position yourself in a good place to SSHC through DI. For Rob, DIing in one direction means you'll end up on the opposite side of wherever you DIed. For example, you can get out by holding left (which will place you on the right side of the uair) then before the last hit comes out, SSHC to the right.
:4mewtwo: Mewtwo | Fthrow | Any | Away | Can avoid damage from the mini Shadow Balls
:4sheik: Sheik | Bair | Up to mid percents for sweetspot | Depends | Optimal SSHC direction depends on Sheik's aerial momentum. Better to use this offstage to mitigate a punish.
:4megaman: Mega Man | Dash Attack | Any | Towards | None
:4pikachu: Pikachu | Down Smash | Low percents | Away | None
:4peach: Peach | Dash Attack | ? | Towards | None
:rosalina: Rosalina | Dash Attack | ? | Towards | None
:4ganondorf: Ganondorf | Flame Choke | Mid percents | Towards | None
:4bowserjr: Bowser Jr. | Mechakoopa (1st launching hit) | Any | Any | Safety depends on how far you are from Bowser Jr.
:4falcon: Captain Falcon | Nair (1st hit) | Any | Towards | Best used offstage to avoid a punish
:4zss: Zero Suit Samus | Fair (1st hit) | Any | Towards | Best used offstage to avoid a punish
:4ryu: Ryu | Light Utilt strings | Any | Towards | Opponent can read the SSHC and drop the string early to punish
:4ryu: Ryu | Light Dtilt strings | Any | Away | Opponent can read the SSHC and drop the string early to punish

Credit to these threads for some starting data:

http://smashboards.com/threads/incorporating-shadow-sneak.409994/
http://smashboards.com/threads/shadow-sneak-hitstun-canceling-out-of-throws.422150/
http://smashboards.com/threads/shadow-sneak-hitstun-cancel.393006/

If you want to add something to this list, make a post and put it in this format for ease:

Character:
Move:
%'s that work: (It's ok not to know this one, leave ? if unsure)
Optimal direction: (Pick from "towards", "away", "either", or "depends")
Notes: (if applicable)

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Added to the Directory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not sure if this is applicable, but I'm pretty sure Greninja can reduce the damage of Meta Knight's tornado (does 23% max if not stale) through SSHC. If anyone would like to test this out with me so that we can then add the data to the table if true, please message me on here or on Skype.

Last edited by a moderator:

istudying

Smash Lord
Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel is very good on stages such as Battlefield and Smashville due to the platforms.

For example;

Mario utilt > ultilt > you shadow sneak out on smashville platform, which makes it harder for mario to finish their combo.

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Wanted to report that you can SSHC out of Cloud's cross-slash with proper timing (I get it mostly after the first-second hit). I can't confirm if this applies to the limit-break version however.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Wanted to report that you can SSHC out of Cloud's cross-slash with proper timing (I get it mostly after the first-second hit). I can't confirm if this applies to the limit-break version however.
It does not work with the limit-break version.

Careful when using it to get out of normal cross slash though. If you perform SSHC later than the first hit of Cross slash, Cloud can punish the end lag with a down smash or something else.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
sheik
Back air
? (Works at high percents)
Towards

Abopo

Smash Rookie
Here's a sizeable list of the most helpful moves to SSHC out of that I know. There's a couple characters I still haven't tested yet so I'll probably have more to add later.

:4luigi:
  • Down Throw
    • 15%
    • Away
    • Helps to avoid early low% throw combos.
:4peach:
  • Down Smash
    • Any%
    • Away
    • Weird hitboxes make this somewhat inconsistent.
:4bowser:
  • Up Throw
    • 55%
    • Either
    • Helps avoid his new low% throw combos.

:4yoshi:
  • Yoshi Bomb (Down B)
    • Any%
    • Either
    • Strict timing, but can avoid kills at all percents.
:4dk:
  • Spinning Kong (Up B)
    • ?%
    • Depends
    • Works both in midair and grounded, but weird hitboxes make this somewhat inconsistent.
  • Cargo Up Throw
    • 11%
    • Either
    • Helps avoid early low% combos.
:4littlemac:
  • Down Tilt
    • 50%
    • Either
    • Can avoid combos into UpB and KO Punch!
:4link:
  • Up Smash (First 2 hits)
    • Any%
    • Either
  • Forward Smash (First hit)
    • Any%
    • Either
  • If you can consistently SSHC both of these moves, Link should have an extremely difficult time killing you.
:4tlink:
    • Any%
    • Towards
:4samus:
  • Up Air
    • 20%
    • Depends
    • Helps avoid the low% "Touch of Death" combo string.
:4kirby:
  • Down Air
    • Any%
    • Either
    • Helps avoid low% combos.
  • Up Tilt
    • 30%
    • Depends
  • Up Air
    • 40%
    • Either
  • Foward Air (First 2 hits)
    • ?%
    • Away
:4rob:
  • Up Air (2nd last hit)
    • 100%
    • Away
:4olimar:
  • Down Tilt
    • 40%
    • Away
    • Helps avoid low% DTilt combo strings.
  • Jab
    • 80%
    • Away
    • Helps avoid combo into Grab.
:4mewtwo:
  • Forward Throw (The throw, not the shadow balls)
    • Any%
    • Away
    • Can avoid some damage from the Shadow Balls.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Not sure if this is applicable, but I'm pretty sure Greninja can reduce the damage of Meta Knight's tornado (does 23% max if not stale) through SSHC. If anyone would like to test this out with me so that we can then add the data to the table if true, please message me on here or on Skype.
Cool, I'll mention the damage reducing property of this.

Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel is very good on stages such as Battlefield and Smashville due to the platforms.

For example;

Mario utilt > ultilt > you shadow sneak out on smashville platform, which makes it harder for mario to finish their combo.
I'll make a note of it in the OP.

You can side B Charizards jab
I need more information than this, especially what direction to SSHC. Also, I'm really skeptical of adding non-multi jabs to the list as a lot of them have low enough endlag that they can punish a SSHC. Please also make sure Charizard won't have time to punish after SSHC.

Similar to above, are you sure you won't get punished afterwards for SSHC? I only want to note things that are useful to SSHC, not things that could potentially lead to bigger punishes. Keep in mind Cloud can cancel his Cross Slash without completing it. Personally I find DIing up and double jumping a better solution. Best things to SSHC out of are kill setups or committed multihit moves.

sheik
Back air
? (Works at high percents)
Towards
This has no practical use and could potential lead to a bigger punish.

Here's a sizeable list of the most helpful moves to SSHC out of that I know. There's a couple characters I still haven't tested yet so I'll probably have more to add later.

:4luigi:
  • Down Throw
    • 15%
    • Away
    • Helps to avoid early low% throw combos.
:4peach:
  • Down Smash
    • Any%
    • Away
    • Weird hitboxes make this somewhat inconsistent.
:4bowser:
  • Up Throw
    • 55%
    • Either
    • Helps avoid his new low% throw combos.

:4yoshi:
  • Yoshi Bomb (Down B)
    • Any%
    • Either
    • Strict timing, but can avoid kills at all percents.
:4dk:
  • Spinning Kong (Up B)
    • ?%
    • Depends
    • Works both in midair and grounded, but weird hitboxes make this somewhat inconsistent.
  • Cargo Up Throw
    • 11%
    • Either
    • Helps avoid early low% combos.
:4littlemac:
  • Down Tilt
    • 50%
    • Either
    • Can avoid combos into UpB and KO Punch!
:4link:
  • Up Smash (First 2 hits)
    • Any%
    • Either
    • Any%
    • Either
  • If you can consistently SSHC both of these moves, Link should have an extremely difficult time killing you.
:4tlink:
    • Any%
    • Towards
:4samus:
  • Up Air
    • 20%
    • Depends
    • Helps avoid the low% "Touch of Death" combo string.
:4kirby:
  • Down Air
    • Any%
    • Either
  • Up Tilt

• 30%
    • Depends
  • Up Air

• 40%
    • Either
  • Forward Air (First 2 hits)
    • ?%
    • Away
:4rob:
  • Up Air (2nd last hit)
    • 100%
    • Away
:4olimar:
  • Down Tilt

• 40%
    • Away
    • Helps avoid low% DTilt combo strings.
  • Jab

• 80%
    • Away
    • Helps avoid combo into Grab.
:4mewtwo:
  • Forward Throw (The throw, not the shadow balls)
    • Any%
    • Away
    • Can avoid some damage from the Shadow Balls.
I'm gonna exclude the Olimar jab to grab thing though, it's not a true combo and you can easily DJ or roll it. Olimar's dtilt has low enough endlag to punish SSHC, plus its not even a good or common string. Also Kirby utilt has such little endlag that you can punish a SSHC on reaction, so its not worth doing. Kirby's uair strings aren't reliable, so SSHC out of them is unnecessary and could even lead to a punish if the Kirby doesn't continue with the uairs. The rest look pretty helpful. I'm gonna add this to the list:

Character | Move | %'s that work | Optimal direction | Notes
:4metaknight: Meta Knight | Mach Tornado | Any | Away | Unlikely to escape tornado, but will most likely reduce damage taken (max damage is 23%)
:4luigi: Luigi | Down Throw | Up to 15% | Away | Helps to avoid early low% throw combos.
:4peach: Peach | Dsmash | Any | Away | Weird hitboxes make this inconsistent, but you have a good chance of reducing damage.
:4bowser: Bowser | Uthrow | Up to 55% | Either | Good for escaping low percent upthrow combos, but may be hit by the active hitboxes of the move.
:4yoshi: Yoshi | Yoshi Bomb (1st hit) | Any | Towards | None
:4dk: Donkey Kong | Spinning Kong (grounded and aerial) | ? | Towards | Weird hitboxes make this inconsistent, but can at least reduce damage taken
:4dk: Donkey Kong | Cargo Up throw | Up to 11% | Away | None
:4littlemac: Little Mac | Down tilt | Up to 50% | Either | Avoids setup into Up B and KO Punch, though this can be read and SSHC endlag can be punished
:4link: Link | Upsmash (first 2 hits) | Any | Depends | Can still be caught by the 3rd hit, depending on where the first 2 hits position you
:4link: Link | Fsmash (1st hit) | Any | Towards | None
:4tlink: Toon Link | Fsmash (1st hit) | Any | Towards | None
:4samus: Samus | Uair | Up to 20% | Depends | None
:4kirby: Kirby | Dair | Any | Either | None
:4kirby: Kirby | Fair (first 2 hits) | ? | Away | None
:4rob: Rob | Uair (2nd last hit) | Up to 100% | Depends | You can position yourself in a good place to SSHC through DI. For Rob, DIing in one direction means you'll end up on the opposite side of wherever you DIed. For example, you can get out by holding left (which will place you on the right side of the uair) then before the last hit comes out, SSHC to the right.
:4mewtwo: Mewtwo | Fthrow | Any | Away | Can avoid damage from the mini Shadow Balls

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal

[/table][/QUOTE]

I won a clutch game against a sheik with this trick. if they don't try to air dodge after the back air (why would they after they hit me?) this works very well.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
:4megaman:'s Top Spin (Dash Attack) can be SideB'd out of near the end of it at about any percent from what I've experienced, do it towards Mega Man and you'll get the kick punish

As if Top Spin wasn't horrible enough in MM3 :c

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
I want to report that we are able to SSHC out of peach's and rosalina's dash attack (im not sure if we can get the punish)
And we are also able to SSHC out of some smash attacks that involve two hits (not so sure either if we can do it on link's and Toon link's, but im sure we can do it out of diddy's and ZSS)
And if it helps in anything, feel free to use the thread I posted in regards to every throw we are able to SSHC out of.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Has anyone here successfully been able to Shadow Sneak out of Sheik's uair (that she started from a dthrow) or MK's uair? I ask because I did some testing w/ a Meta Knight character and was able to mash Shadow Sneak out of not sweet spotted shuttle loop. Sheik I'm just curious about since I've never heard of that before, and having a mixup to get out of her 50/50 is big.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I did it once, but I don't think I was at kill%

Later tested at kill% by myself, but that's not really similar to a real match at all

verbatim

Smash Ace
I did it once, but I don't think I was at kill%

Later tested at kill% by myself, but that's not really similar to a real match at all
Were you able to get out at kill%? If it's doable I'm sure the timing can be learned for doing it in tour.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Yeah, but I think there may have been error in my testing(things like character position, momentum, etc.) due to using two controllers on my own.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
Recently found out that we can SSHC out of ganondorfs side B, basically do it before you hit the ground like till around 45%-50% (Haven't had the chance to check the percentages) and if ganon isn't shielding, you can hit him, if he shields, Most he can do is jab (again not so sure since i basically discovered this like 2 days ago)
Its good for conditioning ganon and making him scared of using side B.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Recently found out that we can SSHC out of ganondorfs side B, basically do it before you hit the ground like till around 45%-50% (Haven't had the chance to check the percentages) and if ganon isn't shielding, you can hit him, if he shields, Most he can do is jab (again not so sure since i basically discovered this like 2 days ago)
seriously? that's hilarious:)

Also a few days ago I got a kill by SSHC'ing pikachu's ftilt when I was at about 55%

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
:4metaknight:'s Uair puts Greninja into tumble starting at 38%

As for :4bowser:, his Uthrow places Greninja in tumble starting at 37% as of patch 1.14, and Bowser Bomb rising hit never fails to put him in tumble and should be removed from the list. One thing I can add is Bowser's trusty jab 1. When struck by the farther hitboxes, Greninja is airborne and thus can Sneak forward into Bowser in hopes of stuffing his typical dash grab and Jab 2 followup. Bowser will have enough time to pull up shield if he's not going for jab 2. It will work at any % since jab is weight based.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Has anyone here successfully been able to Shadow Sneak out of Sheik's uair (that she started from a dthrow) or MK's uair? I ask because I did some testing w/ a Meta Knight character and was able to mash Shadow Sneak out of not sweet spotted shuttle loop. Sheik I'm just curious about since I've never heard of that before, and having a mixup to get out of her 50/50 is big.
I saw Istudying do it to Mr. R at kill percent in a match on youtube a few days ago, but I can't remember which one it was:(

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I saw Istudying do it to Mr. R at kill percent in a match on youtube a few days ago, but I can't remember which one it was:(
So in trying to find the video in question, I saw Istudying get out of a full hand of needles(air). That seems pretty big to me.

EDIT: Not sure if this is the exact video you're referring to, but I think I found it:
https://youtu.be/UrKvM0iI0Ls?t=13m55s

Last edited:

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
Im surprised no one here has mentioned that we can SSHC out of falcon's and ZSS's Nair on the first hit
I think if we are baited into it then we can get punished tbh, Although i think its good for offstage

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
Also
I've never really seen anyone SSHC out of yoshi's down B on the first hit

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
So, after some research, I determined the exact percents for when Greninja can escape Sheik's Uair. In terms of actually escaping it, it must be after the 3rd hit, and you have about a three frames window (would appreciate if someone could confirm the length of this window), starting the frame after the frame of you taking the knockback, to activate Shadow Sneak in order to escape it (if you do it too early, Greninja doesn't rise, and the 4th hit comes out quickly enough to hit Greninja before he can disappear). I created a chart with this information. The way the chart works is that, when Sheik is at x%, Greninja can escape Uair from 0% to the listed percent but not any percent higher. There are four categories included. Dthrow to Uair is what percent Greninja can be Dthrown to Uair and still escape the third hit (he can escape 1-2% earlier if Sheik whiffs the 1st or second hit of Uair), while the other listed percents are what percents he can escape from the third hit of a raw Uair at, depending on whether he got hit with the first, second, or third hit. All of these were tested with a fresh Uair/Dthrow, so if you know the Sheik has staled her Uair, you might be able to escape just a bit later than what the chart states, but I feel it can still act as a good guideline for knowing when it's possible for us to escape her Uair (and thus can negate the 50/50 out of her Dthrow during those percents).

Anyway, here's the chart:

Note, the range for being able to escape Dthrow to Uair is 137% to 89% while the range for living a raw Uair is 145-143% to 97-95%.

Last edited:

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
I would like to report that we can SSHC out of grounded mechakoopa from the first hit and avoid the second one (which is the explosion itself), Any direction is fine and this can be done at any percent. Whether the SHHC is optimal or not really depends on the situation tbh.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193

[/table]
I won a clutch game against a sheik with this trick. if they don't try to air dodge after the back air (why would they after they hit me?) this works very well.[/QUOTE]

I will add it to the list, but I would note it's still not very safe to do onstage. It still has some situational uses offstage though.
:4megaman:'s Top Spin (Dash Attack) can be SideB'd out of near the end of it at about any percent from what I've experienced, do it towards Mega Man and you'll get the kick punish

As if Top Spin wasn't horrible enough in MM3 :c
Cool, adding.
:4pikachu:
Down Smash
Low-ish %
Not sure about direction, but you CAN hit him with the kick.
Seems really situational given Pika's will rarely use that move especially at low percents, but I'll add it in anyway.

I want to report that we are able to SSHC out of peach's and rosalina's dash attack (im not sure if we can get the punish)
And we are also able to SSHC out of some smash attacks that involve two hits (not so sure either if we can do it on link's and Toon link's, but im sure we can do it out of diddy's and ZSS)
And if it helps in anything, feel free to use the thread I posted in regards to every throw we are able to SSHC out of.
Cool, thanks. You can SSHC out of the Links' fsmashes first hit. Actually most 2 hit smash attacks we can SSHC out of.

Yes, I've definitely done it but the timing is very precise. With rage or really high percents SSHC will fail though.

Cool, adding.

Also a few days ago I got a kill by SSHC'ing pikachu's ftilt when I was at about 55%
Seems really situational and unsafe given how little recovery time Pika's ftilt has. You sure the Pika just forgot to shield?

:4metaknight:'s Uair puts Greninja into tumble starting at 38%

As for :4bowser:, his Uthrow places Greninja in tumble starting at 37% as of patch 1.14, and Bowser Bomb rising hit never fails to put him in tumble and should be removed from the list. One thing I can add is Bowser's trusty jab 1. When struck by the farther hitboxes, Greninja is airborne and thus can Sneak forward into Bowser in hopes of stuffing his typical dash grab and Jab 2 followup. Bowser will have enough time to pull up shield if he's not going for jab 2. It will work at any % since jab is weight based.
Thanks for the clarification, always appreciate people giving me specific %s for stuff since that's usually hardest thing to obtain.

Im surprised no one here has mentioned that we can SSHC out of falcon's and ZSS's Nair on the first hit
I think if we are baited into it then we can get punished tbh, Although i think its good for offstage
I would definitely limit this use to offstage, onstage would open you up to punishes. And I'm assuming you mean ZSS fair.

Also
I've never really seen anyone SSHC out of yoshi's down B on the first hit
Thanks, removing.

So, after some research, I determined the exact percents for when Greninja can escape Sheik's Uair. In terms of actually escaping it, it must be after the 3rd hit, and you have about a three frames window (would appreciate if someone could confirm the length of this window), starting the frame after the frame of you taking the knockback, to activate Shadow Sneak in order to escape it (if you do it too early, Greninja doesn't rise, and the 4th hit comes out quickly enough to hit Greninja before he can disappear). I created a chart with this information. The way the chart works is that, when Sheik is at x%, Greninja can escape Uair from 0% to the listed percent but not any percent higher. There are four categories included. Dthrow to Uair is what percent Greninja can be Dthrown to Uair and still escape the third hit (he can escape 1-2% earlier if Sheik whiffs the 1st or second hit of Uair), while the other listed percents are what percents he can escape from the third hit of a raw Uair at, depending on whether he got hit with the first, second, or third hit. All of these were tested with a fresh Uair/Dthrow, so if you know the Sheik has staled her Uair, you might be able to escape just a bit later than what the chart states, but I feel it can still act as a good guideline for knowing when it's possible for us to escape her Uair (and thus can negate the 50/50 out of her Dthrow during those percents).

Anyway, here's the chart:
This is awesome, thanks dude. The 50/50 dthrow setup is gone it seems, but she still has setups into uair like ftilt uair, so good to be aware. I'm gonna link the % ranges to your post.

I would like to report that we can SSHC out of grounded mechakoopa from the first hit and avoid the second one (which is the explosion itself), Any direction is fine and this can be done at any percent. Whether the SHHC is optimal or not really depends on the situation tbh.
Thanks, adding.

And sorry I haven't been active in this thread for a while guys. Keep the SSHC cancel stuff coming. Just remember to keep them relevant.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Anyone know stuff we can SSHC out of for the newer characters (Cloud, Bayonetta, Corrin)? Also does Ryu have any stuff we can SSHC out of other than light Utilt/Dtilt strings?

Last edited:

Galaxeon

Smash Cadet
I manage to SSHC very often out of Bayo's rapid jab, also sometimes out of her strings with Side B in the air, which is awesome since this means we're less affected by her insane combo.
When SSHCing out of jab, we can hit her on her back since this move makes her move forward a little bit, this is pretty easy to do so. When SSHCing out of Side B sometimes I managed to hit her as well, but it's more inconsistent from my experiences, I may be doing it wrong.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
does anyone know whether we can shadow sneak cancel sonic's up smash and up air?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
:4metaknight:'s Uair can now be canceled up to 44% thanks to the damage nerf. Similarly his Dair can be canceled up to 42%. Plus :4robinm:'s Dthrow up to 61%. There's also :4diddy:'s Dtilt from 17-121%. Lower percents are possible if greninja is caught from the air, naturally. And :4mewtwo:'s Dtilt works, but the range depends on the hitbox. The closest hitbox can only be cancelled 0-7% while the furthest is 0-20%.

A comprehensive list of all the moves that can be cancelled would be several times larger than the current one. There's plenty of moves per character that knock greninja into the air, but don't induce tumble, at least as early as 0%. And most of that information would be so rarely pertinent. If you wanted to go so far as to have everything, I'd recommend better organization with all of a character's moves at least put next to each other so that people don't have to scan the full list up and down to know all of sheik's or Falcon's attacks.

Top Bottom