• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SH-Reverse Giant Punch Cancel-Bair

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Do people use this? There isn't a ton of DK footage available so I'm not sure if this is used a lot or not.

I've been playing around with it tonight because I wanted to find way to land bairs without having to play with my back to the opponent the whole time. I realized that you can reverse giant punch cancel without the wind up animation/sound starting at all, so DK basically turns around instantly. The timing is strict, but it's pretty intuitive. I think it's extremely useful because your opponent knows that bair is one of DK's main tools and when he is facing forward (especially in run) bair isn't a threat, but this technique allows you to bair "forward" very quickly (out of run especially).

Obviously this doesn't mean you no longer have to play with your back to your opponent, but it's a nice mixup because people don't expect this from a running DK. Also it makes you feel HELLA TECHNICAL which is a nice change of pace from CC grabbing everyone for hours :shades:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Strong Bad knew about this for a while, the input is just preventatively difficult to do consistently. It's also not all it's cracked up to be.

Getting the fastfall bair out is literally a frame perfect input. Turning around "instantly" is actually 7 frames (2 frames slower than Sheik's needle turnaround). After the seventh frame of Giant Punch you can either choose to punch (without storing a swing, which is how you get the mythical zero swing punch of ultimate disrespect. So bad, it's weak enough to jab reset at the sourspot) or cancel the charge, so the turnaround costs you at least 8 frames + the start up of bair before you can put out a hitbox. This is why it's not actually a viable option when coming from the ledge like SB shows in the video; it's just not fast enough.

The frame 7 turnaround is something that you should always have in your pocket and it certainly never hurts to master it (I practice it during movement drills fairly often) but it's not the cure to DK's forward facing approach problems. The only way bair can be safe on shield when autocancel is out of the picture is if it's perfectly spaced. However, the punch turnaround input forces you to hard commit to certain jump arcs because of your inability to utilize analog drift, which would make your approach predictable and your attempts at spacing clunky at best. I see frame 7 turnaround as more useful for stuff like grabbing the ledge as quickly as possible out of a run or possibly as an easier way of imitating Lovage's obscure pivot dropzone stuff. Runoff frame 7 turnaround bair sounds mean as **** for edgeguarding spacies coming from a low angle.

But yeah you should keep doing it! It's great for covering tech away in a pinch because it's reaches so far.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
I tried practicing this tech for weeks, but as people have already mentioned, the frame window is too harsh for any human to be consistent. It's a shame really because it's an awesome little manouver.

I did find an 'easier' way of doing it though. You can double tap Z to both cancel your punch and throw out the back air. It's just one less button to worry about. So the button input is:
SH - Reverse Charge - 2 x Z while holding back on control stick.

Unfortunately it still doesn't make the technique any less impossible to do consistently. Although it's easier in general and I now use the double Z method for all my reverse charge punch back airs.

Top Bottom