• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Several Buffs I think Kirby Needs...

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Aside from the obvious Up-Throw buff...
-Final Cutter auto-snaps, has Less Start-up, Ending, and Landing lag
-Nair no longer has that absurd Ending Lag AND kills earlier
-Down-Smash has both Horizontal and Vertical Knockback hitboxes
-Up-Air is a little more powerful, while retaining its combo properties
-Stone is a little more resistent, has less lag and breaks Shields easier, on the price of killing a bit later (9%,10%,15% would be reasonable)
-Less lag on Up-Smash!
I want the Speed buffs to him, but Kirby is just projected to be like that, those are properties of him and I doubt they could be changed (if only Sakurai bias). A little more range on some hitboxes would be welcomed too, but that's not so likely to happen. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree ^^

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Some ideas. Reasons are in the spoilers. My goals were to improve Kirby's disadvantage and advantage states so that they make up for his crappy neutral and poor mobility/approach.

- Nair: Decrease startup (Frame 10 -> Frame 3), adjust damage (10%/8%/6%/4% -> 8%/6%)
- Stone: Lower the damage, halve the startup and significantly reduce the end lag
- Final Cutter: Decrease the startup and end lag by a few frames, double the projectile range

The above 3 buffs are to improve Kirby's disadvantage state, which is pretty bad despite having multiple jumps.

A F3 Nair gives Kirby a "get off me" option and combo breaker like the Mario bros have. The new damage values also make it easier to start combos with.

Stone is repurposed from a situational edge guarding tool to a way to escape juggles (kind of like what Project M did with the move).

Final Cutter being slightly faster makes it a bit harder to gimp Kirby on the way up.

- Uthrow: Increase the KB growth so it KOs 30% earlier
- Bthrow: Increase damage (8% -> 10%) so it KOs earlier
- Fthrow: Slightly decrease the end lag
- Uair: Increase damage (9% -> 13%) so it KOs much earlier

The above changes are to improve his advantage state. Uthrow and Bthrow are now more reliable kill throws. This gives Kirby a safe and reliable KO option, something which he really needs.

The Fthrow buff Kirby previously got was nice but DI makes it harder to follow up after like 20-30% on most characters. Giving Kirby more frame advantage will improve his follow ups at mid %s.

Uair is changed to be more like his Melee Uair, where it's more of a KO move than a combo tool. I think it's better this way. Kirby doesn't have the airspeed to be able to juggle with Uair anyways. With Uair being a KO move, Kirby can now pose a threat to opponents that are above him. Without Upper Cutter, being above Kirby is really safe for the opponent.

- Dash Attack: Increase damage (9% total -> 14% total)
- Dair: Decrease startup (Frame 18 -> Frame 12)
- Fair: Decrease startup (Frame 10 -> Frame 6)
- Dthrow: Increase damage (10.2% -> 12%) and change the launch angle from 63 to 45 degrees
- Usmash: Make the strong hit last for 2 frames instead of just 1
- Fsmash: Make the strong hit last from frame 12-15 (like it was in Brawl)
- Hammer Flip: Significantly increase the KB of the uncharged hammer so it KOs 20-30% earlier than Usmash

The above are mainly minor "quality of life" buffs. They would be nice to have but won't significantly improve Kirby.

Kirby's Dash Attack is currently too "high risk/low reward", so it should do more damage so that it's more rewarding. I think it should do 14% like it did in Brawl.

Dair and Fair are too slow, especially for a character with terrible airspeed like Kirby's.

Dthrow gets a slight damage buff to improve Kirby's damage output when his Fthrow followups stop working. Its angle adjusted for better positioning. Currently, Fthrow, Dthrow, and Uthrow all launch at very similar angles.

Usmash is strong but its strong hit is only on the first frame of the move. I think that's pretty bad for such a punishable move. The strong hit should last at least for 2 frames like Fox's and Pikachu's Usmashes, which are pretty similar to Kirby's anyways.

The Fsmash change is really just undoing an unnecessary nerf from Brawl.

I can't think of many ways to make Hammer Flip useful. It's about 10 frames slower than Up Smash so at the very least it should KO earlier even when uncharged.
Throw in Up Smash and Down Smash getting 3-5 less frames of statup cut off along with 2-3 less frames of landing lag on D-Air and Up Air coming out 2 frames sooner and we got a winner!

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Up air should be interruptible sooner so you could combo up airs without landing in between, kinda like Meta Knight but without the guaranteed kills. I'm not super desperate for buffs on all his moves or anything, but I think that'd be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Up air should be interruptible sooner so you could combo up airs without landing in between, kinda like Meta Knight but without the guaranteed kills. I'm not super desperate for buffs on all his moves or anything, but I think that'd be pretty awesome.
I'd prefer to have killing up air, like in Melee.
:gawmelee:

Da_Face89

Smash Rookie
NNID
Da_Face89
Dair endlag. I've heard things about opponents actually being able to jump after getting hit by this before kirby can, and footstooling KIRBY instead of the other way around. Dair --> footstool is a relatively easy way to kill big guys who don't excel recovery-wise, like Ganon and Zard, when set up with an f-throw.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Straight from the Unnoficial Smash Bros. Balancing Commitee, I changed my mind about some buffs..
:4kirby: -Twinkle Popopo, the OG Puffball-
-Less lag in general for his N-Air, excluding Landing lag (since it's already too low). It makes the attack a combo-breaker and a reliable combo move.
-F-Air now kills earlier... The vertical hitbox is also bigger.
-Cut Final Cutter startup in half.
-Make the projectile from Final Cutter travel further, so it can give Kirby a better neutral game.
-Make his Up-Air a kill move.
-The "rising" part of Final Cutter snaps to the edge.
-Stone is now invincible on startup. The attack is already predictable since Smash 64. However, it's still vulnerable to some attacks on the ground.
-"Cuttercide" gives the win to Kirby, but you can mash out of it.

Red Buffs would be welcome, but are kind of unnecessary and just give Kirby another option...

Yellow buffs are nice, but won't necessarily change Kirby's metagame
Green buffs are the ones that are kind of necessary. Kirby, with those buffs, could have quite a change on his neutral game and would change his metagame.

Feel free to disagree ^^

Top Bottom