• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Setting up CRT Monitor

MarioLutherKing

Smash Rookie
Need some help,

I've read and done all my research on CRT monitors, what I need to set it up, I just have one problem. All of the threads that talk about it or all of the links to the products needed are either sold out, discontinued, or no longer exist.

Now I have bought 2 identical CRTs that I will be using for my wii set up for melee, and I understand I need: component cables (which I can easily find anywhere) an adapter for component to VGA which I found one here (https://www.primecables.ca/p-311789-cab-8668-vga-to-component-ypbpr-converter-monoprice) but I want to know what the best of the best currently is in terms of adapters, and where to buy it. Mind you I am in Canada, which may or may not make it harder to find what I need. Also if i've missed anything else I will need. I won't be capturing so capture card setup wont be needed.

Any advice on where to get good adapters for a decent price now a days?

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
Didn't catch the whole "monitor" part of the situation, thought you were just talking about a normal ol' CRT TV. :050:

Last edited:

MarioLutherKing

Smash Rookie
I base this information off this thread. https://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-setups-tv-monitor-console-capture-device.355292/

CRT monitors do not have video ports that I can plug in component cables into, hence the component to VGA. And a lot of evidence states that CRT monitors are actually one of THE best ways to play, better then CRT TVs, high refresh LCDs, etc. Now most adapters apart from a few have been stated to be virtually lagless. And again i've looked for these online but most companies that sold them are no longer around.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Now I have bought 2 identical CRTs that I will be using for my wii set up for melee, and I understand I need: component cables (which I can easily find anywhere) an adapter for component to VGA which I found one here (https://www.primecables.ca/p-311789-cab-8668-vga-to-component-ypbpr-converter-monoprice) but I want to know what the best of the best currently is in terms of adapters, and where to buy it. Mind you I am in Canada, which may or may not make it harder to find what I need. Also if i've missed anything else I will need. I won't be capturing so capture card setup wont be needed.
You certainly don't want that adapter since it can only convert from vga -> component and not the other way around (it does have a vga output but that's only passthrough).
Ideally, you want the Mayflash VGA005 YPbPr→VGA converter which Kadano also referenced in his thread. They are out of production now but you can still find them on ebay (example).
They have an issue where the video goes black after every match on a bright stage. Kadano posted how to fix this issue by soldering a capacitor to it, here.

Top Bottom