• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Set Analysis/Concept illustrations

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Hello my fellow YL enthusiasts (and random people browsing this subforum for whatever reason)! As you can see, my username is Brando550, and as of recently having discovered the YL discord channel and posting in it, I've wanted to post some in-depth analysis of my own matches to offer as a starting point of discussion. However, it would be very tough and rude of me to try and post something of this length on something that's meant for just short messages and casual conversation, so I'm posting it here!

So with that out of the way, I present the set that I will be using as the template for this post, which was from my state's monthly tournament that happened just last month (albeit it technically being last year). I managed to make it out of pools, so I believe the skill level of my opponent in this set isn't horrible and offers a decent view of actual play in the Young Link vs Fox matchup.

The concepts that I want to discuss/illustrate from this set are crouch cancelling, grab follow-ups, and stuffing approaches. You don't need to watch the matches, as I've provided GIFs along with my analyses below to simplify things, but feel free to if you want.

Crouch Cancelling
The first concept I want to illustrate is the effectiveness of crouch cancelling (aka CC) in this match-up. The tournament that this match happened was the first tournament where I actively tried to use it and d-smash out of it, so you'll have to bear with my lack of experience using it. I understand that he didn't L-cancel/Shine after most of his aerials, so that is something to take into consideration; however, I believe that being shined after an aerial can potentially put you in a better position in many situations since YL doesn't get put into a soft knockdown state.

Something I discovered quickly from this tournament is that trying to CC+d-smash when you're close to the edge of the stage and your opponent is towards the center is not something I would recommend, as you have a high chance of SDing from an accidental buffered d-air. With that being said, it is still a useful tool to utilize for racking up damage.

Grab Follow-ups

Now I know this has been talked about before, but I can't remember watching any video of a YL player getting much out of a tech-chase or even attempting to get a decent punish from a grab unless it's an [up-throw+dair/uair/nair] at a high %. Personally I think this is an unexplored area that needs more work done. One thing that I think can be easily implemented into any YL's game is a simple [down-throw+wave-dash+d-smash] combo that can build up % pretty quickly. Lucky for you, I have some footage of it from the set that not only shows how simple it is, but also that you can grab a Fox if they try to pressure you in shield with Fox's up-tilt! =D

(In the 2nd game on FoD, I managed to do 37% damage off of 1 down-throw :3)

Stuffing Approaches
When an enemy tries to approach you, it's easy to just run away and throw projectiles at them. I'm not going to discuss that method in particular because most YL mains already understand the idea. Instead, I will try to give a new perspective on the idea. From my history of playing UMVC3 for 3 years before playing Melee competitively, I understood just how important jabs were in the neutral game and have been trying to find how to implement them into my own method to give me an advantage in different situations. Jabs help top tiers tremendously, so why not try to see how they can help out us low-tier mains?

In this clip, the Fox player attempts to do a full-jump Nair into me, but is stopped by my jab without me taking a trade in %. Besides grab follow-ups being unexplored, I also consider the disconnected hurtbox of YL's sword to be unexplored. In a grab-heavy game such as Melee, jabs have helped me considerably in stopping people from getting a grab on me. If you decide to watch the set I posted up top, there are many times where the Fox player tries to go for a grab only to be stopped mid-animation because I used a jab. Jabs can also make your opponent confused on what to do next since they couldn't finish what they had planned to do, thus putting the match back into neutral.

Miscellaneous
Here are some miscellaneous clips I found in the match that I just thought would be interesting to post.

I quickly found out how unsafe it is to try and jump from the ledge back onto the stage at a low % when the Fox can shine you after a soft hit.

I'm guessing we've all experienced getting saved by a bomb exploding when we should have died, but I just wanted to put it up anyways.

If you can't get any move to reach your opponent before they get out of hitstun, going for a double-jump Up+B can work out sometimes.

Lastly, I think this is the coolest kill I've gotten in my competitive career so far ;).

Here's the album with more examples from the same set of each point of discussion (including some other misc. things) http://imgur.com/a/XPwha

ianisthewalrus

Smash Rookie
i really really like all of this! will try to post back in the next few days with thoughts/ analysis

Top Bottom