• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Serious Topic) After smash?

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Do you guys ever plan on quitting smash altogether???

if so, what will replace smash in your lives??? (considering smash is a big part in most of our lives)

and what reasons would you have to quit???

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't really have any incentive to quit. I'll probably continue playing as long as a decent number of other people in my area do.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I used to play with three people at least once a week for a while and now I rarely have anyone to play against. I'll play against people about once a month now and not for that long because I think my friends have lost interest in the game. But I'm still going to continue playing somehow.

Ayatsuri_Rinku

Smash Cadet
maybe if the whole smash scene dies out. for melee that is. id never want to play brawl competively

DualCats

Smash Ace
I don't envision ever quitting altogether but I do anticipate becoming bored with it eventually.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the scene in my community is dieing. I suppose I'll still play if there are others still want to and i'll probably stop once my scene dies out completely.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
It bugs me that the title for this and the other thread both put (serious topic) before the thread title when the original joke its made of was after... just saying it makes me feel like you don't even know where its from.

I'll probably quit melee eventually, but as long as I have people to play with I think I'll be playing. If it eventually gets a kaillera client type deal and is played online like 64 I might do that for a while though.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
It bugs me that the title for this and the other thread both put (serious topic) before the thread title when the original joke its made of was after... just saying it makes me feel like you don't even know where its from.

I'll probably quit melee eventually, but as long as I have people to play with I think I'll be playing. If it eventually gets a kaillera client type deal and is played online like 64 I might do that for a while though.

>_> we all saw Distraction's various threads... we know where its from...

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I don't really think about it. Still loving smash as much as I did when I first started.

Never gonna quit smash for brawl though

SANE NROMAL GIRL

Smash Rookie
are you kiding? i will never give up on pikachu!

i'll play until every pro has a hubby and starts a life on their own. but they'll probably have kids and hthey'l teach their kids how to play melee and show how to use high tier characters but i'll be ready because i have enough experience in the matchups to know what to do. sheik gimps and all, i'll be ready :)

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
this thread makes me sad =(

i dont want to think about melee community coming to an end

The purpose of the thread was to know why people would quit and what would they do with their lives.

Doesnt mean they will quit...

I plan on playing melee FOREVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

Geist

Smash Master
If I quit melee, it'll be because everyone else quit first or if they happen to make a sequel worthy of Smash.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
the scene in my community is dieing. I suppose I'll still play if there are others still want to and i'll probably stop once my scene dies out completely.
once your scene dies out, move to the EC.

but as for me, i dont really see myself quiting as long as i have atleast one friend that plays.. its just too fun.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
I quit a while ago, alot of people are quitting already and brawl is just a casual game, easy to get good at.

Fantasy Football is a nice hobby and gets you more money then smash will in 1 season depending on the league.

Mostly I'm just training to run a marathon.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
I would probably move on to 64 online.

Hopefully the lag wouldn't be as bad as it is now.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Fantasy Football is a nice hobby and gets you more money then smash will in 1 season depending on the league.

Mostly I'm just training to run a marathon.

Almost nobody plays melee for the money...
I play for the excitement of the game

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
Sad topic...I've never been able to go to tournies and such, I play with my noob friends and even they have lost interest. If they do play occasionally, they are not a challenge. It would just be nice to go to a ssbm meet some day and meet others before I really put down the controller. After that, I will have to learn how to wavedash in real life and start comboing people.

inditled

Smash Apprentice
this only makes me wish i had picked up smash earlier >.>
dying scenes and everyone else having found everything doesn't have as much of a thrill and the game is entertaining but its not something id really ever play on my own.

BEES

Smash Lord
Nintendo doesn't want to make competitive games, and certainly not competitive fighters. They will probably leave Melee and 64 to languish as historical oddities in the big book of dead fighting games.

It's too bad we can't jump ship to anything else and sever all emotional ties, because there's nothing remotely similar to Smash Bros out there. All we can do is continue to play a game that will never be further developed or supported.

Best possible scenarios:
-Nintendo decides to create a side-branch of games in the Smash-bros series based off Melee and 64 gameplay, for the competitive crowd, separate from the main series.
-Or some other game developer decides to make a new series of fighters using the Stages, Percents, stocks and ringouts system instead of depleted health meters.

I suspect eventually the second one will happen, but it could be 10 years. In the past, for other dead games, the fans have stepped in and filled developers shoes. Total Annihilation is a good example. Their developer (Cavedog) went bankrupt, so from then on they had no online service and no new game support. They made their own hack-based game: Spring, which allowed them to hang on until another studio released Supreme Commander, a new series based on similar gameplay.

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
if they dont come out with another smash bros that is just like melee i will quit. and no brawl is not the answer.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Eh, I'll stop when I lose interest, and that will only happen when something more important takes too much time. Can't imagine what that would be, lol.

I don't really think about it. I just enjoy playing Smash with my friends while I can :)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'll quit when everyone within a reasonable distance quits.

i'll of course, start again once even a single smasher within my region picks melee up again.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I'm not even sure... maybe if everyone I know stops playing... and I'm also 60 years old.... when all the gamecubes and wii's have broken and there are no working GC memory cards, all the Melee discs are scratched and broken, every gamecube controller has been worn down to nothing and the world has forgotten that Nintendo ever existed.

Maybe then I'll quit.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I'll never quit

even though I only play with like one person ever

I can dream of one day going somewhere with other smashers

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I'm going with the general consensus.

As long as I have Smashers near me, I'll play.

My wife had better respect my Smash.

. . . or else.

=)

Top Bottom