• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sephiroth Announced for Smash Ultimate

Sephiroth.jpg

This year's installment of The Game Awards started off with a bang with the reveal of Final Fantasy VII's Sephiroth as Smash Ultimate's next DLC character.

The trailer starts off with several characters about to face off against Galeem and his army of Master Hand clones, only for Galeem to be bisected by a vertical slash, the two halves splitting apart to reveal Sephiroth as One Winged Angel plays in the background.

Currently it's hard to tell much about Sephiroth's gameplay from the footage we've seen. We can tell that he has several moves that make use of his sword's length—including a move that can be used to pin himself to walls, a la Corrin side-special—as well as Firaga, a counter and another projectile. We also see footage of him sprouting a single wing, though it's unknown what function this serves in-game. It should also be noted that while a shot of Sephiroth cutting Midgar's main platform in half is shown, this is just some creative staging, as Midgar splits in half on its own as part of a stage hazard.

During the trailer, we can also see a new stage, seemingly based on the Lifestream from Final Fantasy VII. The layout for the stage seems to be the most promising one yet for competitive play, though the use of third-party music may cause streaming rights issues that prevent its use in tournament rulesets.

Towards the end of the trailer, we also see that Cloud has a new alternate Final Smash against Sephiroth, using Omnislash Ver. 5 instead of the normal version of Omnislash.

Sephiroth is set to release sometime in December 2020.

UPDATE: A full presentation showing off Sephiroth's moveset has been announced for December 17th, 2020

Author's note: What were your thoughts on this reveal? Who were you expecting? Were you as caught off guard as I was?

Credits:
Social: @Zerp
Graphics: @Zerp

Last edited:
Scribe

Comments

Even if I do get my most wanted character later in this pass, it wouldn't make sense now for me to buy the full pass since there's now 3 characters I don't care about being in it. Even if the last 3 are all characters I actually want, it wouldn't make sense for me pay for 3 others I don't care for.

Grats to seph fans. Least this anime swordsman uses a katana so that makes him kind of unique compared to the others.

YEEEEAAAHHH
Ok really tho, this is honestly among the best announcements for this game. Up there with Ridley for me.

On one hand, THANK THE ALL-KNOWING CHICKEN GODS IT WASN'T FORTNITE

On the other, I'm kinda bummed it wasn't Sora. But to me, he still has diplomatic immunity on virtue of being legally owned by Disney. So there's still 3 chances left! (Maybe beyond that if Sakurai decides to do a Vol. 3)

I cant believe they added Sephiroth. We almost didn't get Cloud in Ultimate, but here we are with another character from not just Final Fantasy, but the same Final Fantasy that Cloud is from instead of adding a new franchise, or even representing some other game that isn't FF7.

With that said.... When Cloud got in I wanted Sephiroth so badly but I figured he'd never get in, especially in Smash 4 where there weren't many characters with super long range like Ultimate. I haven't played Final Fantasy so I don't really have any personal attachment, but gosh darn does Sephiroth look cool. He's at the top of the list of characters that I might main. Especially since some of the reasons why I love him overlap with the reasons why I love using Dark Meta Knight.

I think I'll go play Cloud for a bit while waiting for Sephiroth. Also his page is up now and I love that he has a shirtless alt.

I guess that's why Final Fantasy didn't have any Spirits or songs. They were being saved for Sephiroth. Wait, if Fighter Pass 2 was only decided in the middle of Fighter Pass 1, could Sephiroth be the original fifth fighter?

Sephiroth, like Steve, was not among my top predictions, but was a very pleasant surprise.
Now here's hoping for Eggman.

Again thank you GOD it was not fortnite and jonesy, still 3 more final spots i want Dante or Kos-Mos to fight this ****** XD holy ****, if only VOL 3 was a reality.....

Thoughts..

His neutral-b which spawns 3 orbs around his opponent looks interesting. It isn't clear what triggers the orbs making them explode, it could be Sephiroth or it could be the opponent.

His up-b looks bad in terms of distance covered, but his recovery might be decent anyway because he seems to be able to use his fair to do a kind of walljump without needing to be next to the wall. There's also the possibility that he could have a third jump since he has a wing.

His side-b looks like a chargeable dancing blade that covers more distance horizontally. Not a very exciting move.

His counter looks visually underwhelming, very boring move. Really weird that they would waste one of Sephiroth special's on such a standard swordie move when we have way too many standard swordies already. From how the move looks I would reckon it reflects projectiles.

His tilts look slow but still good because of their huge coverage, the f-tilt he does looks angled. The utilt looks like it will cover him completely in a half circle, it looks too slow to be used as an OOS option which beats crossups though.

Can't really say anything about his smashes.

His most interesting move was the backdash he uses near the end of the in game footage, its essentially a dodge roll without invincibility but with armor. It's unclear what move it is, is this backdash there in place of a dodge roll? If not how is it performed?

or maybe you just have an irrational hate boner for fortnite
The entire internet has an irrational hate boner for Fortnite LMFAO. People should just give the damn game a chance and actually form their own opinions of Fortnite, instead of following a herd of sheep that **** on the game for the sake of memes. This is exactly what happened with Minecraft back in the day, and it's just dumb.

Anyways, my thoughts on Sephiroth:
Definitely not someone I expected. When I saw Galeem get cut in half like that, the only thing I could think of was "Kartana...?" But once I saw Sephiroth, it made total sense. This entire reveal was incredibly badass, from One Winged Angel being added, to watching gameplay of his moveset. Not only that, but this now confirms that 3rd party franchises can have more than one unique fighter, which opens the doors to characters such as Tails and Eggman. I was hoping for Crash, but I'm happy to get Sephiroth, despite never playing a Final Fantasy game in my life. 3 slots left, let's hope they're good.

It's becoming more and more apparent they're just trying to choose unobvious choices... that's reaction culture taking over. :rolleyes: I mean, this isn't a bad pick; I'm just perplexed... like it feels like they purposely chose him cause everyone was expecting Geno or Sora, and I'm kinda tired of them ignoring fan requests... yeah, we got Ridley, Rool, Simon and Banjo, but that's honestly a small fraction of the newcomers. I guess my personal idea of Smash is just catering to the fans, and that's not selfish considering the fans are the ones responsible for Smash existing. To me, Smash is a celebration by the fans, for the fans since it's a culmination of things we allow to exist.

I guess this is the first somewhat negative comment here... I mean, I like FFVII and Sephiroth, but y'know...

I probably care too much about this stuff. I think Eggman would've made for a more interesting moveset. I'll give this inclusion a 7.5/10.

Edit: I'm also already aware people like this choice and probably disagree with everything I said.

Last edited:
well, considering all the polarized reception of the past two choices for the second Fighter's Pass, this one is going to be much better received than what we feared.

that being said, there's still a lot of stuff that stifles the hype from me right now... cause ultimate's online is still trash, Nintendo itself is still on my *turd*list for the past couple of weeks of outright fan sniping, and the likelihood of them doing enough to redeem themselves among more level headed fans is very slim, knowing their track record.

definitely like this choice, but whether or not I'll get the pass or just cherry pick my favorite DLCs in pass 2 remains to be seen

Last edited:
Man it feels good getting a Smash reveal after weeks of Nintendo proving they genuinely couldn’t care less about their fans.
Anyway, Sephiroth is a VERY nice surprise and to be getting him before the year ends is a huge bonus.

It's becoming more and more apparent they're just trying to choose unobvious choices... that's reaction culture taking over. :rolleyes: I mean, this isn't a bad pick; I'm just perplexed... like it feels like they purposely chose him cause everyone was expecting Geno or Sora, and I'm kinda tired of them ignoring fan requests... yeah, we got Ridley, Rool, Simon and Banjo, but that's honestly a small fraction of the newcomers. I guess my personal idea of Smash is just catering to the fans, and that's not selfish considering the fans are the ones responsible for Smash existing. To me, Smash is a celebration by the fans, for the fans since it's a culmination of things we allow to exist.

I guess this is the first somewhat negative comment here... I mean, I like FFVII and Sephiroth, but y'know...
Not to **** on your opinion or anything, but Smash Ultimate has proven that the Smash team has been doing anything BUT ignoring fan requests. Not only did we get every single fighter in Smash history in one game, we also got Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle and Banjo Kazooie which were literally the most requested fighters. I know everyone wants Geno, but even if we don’t get him, they definitely aren’t “ignoring fan requests.”

Not to **** on your opinion or anything, but Smash Ultimate has proven that the Smash team has been doing anything BUT ignoring fan requests. Not only did we get every single fighter in Smash history in one game, we also got Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle and Banjo Kazooie which were literally the most requested fighters. I know everyone wants Geno, but even if we don’t get him, they definitely aren’t “ignoring fan requests.”
Ditto to this. It should be noted that even Nintendo is listening to fan demand with inclusions like Hero, Terry, and Steve. Who we see is literally the successful results of negotiations going well. Any popular character we don't see isn't the result of fans being ignored, but rather, it not being possible this time around.

I'm even completely okay with this, despite originally being upset about Cloud being a DLC character for Smash 4. I know this is gonna be a wicked playstyle, at the very least.

Kinda ironic that Final Fantasy, specifically FF7, is gonna get a second character before Sonic.

I'm a bit disappointed. It's great for FF fans, obviously, but when there are so few characters slots, it seems very arbitrary to give one to a game that's already represented. Granted, FF is very poorly represented in Ultimate, but in my opinion, such problems should be fixed in the base game, not with the DLC. Although I wouldn't say it's a waste, that would be too harsh.

On a personal note, I have no attachment to the FF serie, and over the eight downloadable characters it's the seventh that doesn't interess me at all, the sole exception being Banjo & Kazooie. So I can't help but have this sad feeling that Smash isn't for me anymore. It's no surprise at all, but still...

Not that I really had any idea as to who was gonna be the next DLC character, but Sephiroth's not really as an unexpected, crazy ass pick as some people might think. We're kind of talking about one of the most well-known antagonists in gaming history, who comes from a series often regarded as one of the best ever, from one of its most well liked entries. On top of that, said game got its remake this year, and Cloud being in both this game and the previous one meant that the devs had reason to believe that they could successfully negotiate more.

It's just that many people get so caught up in their baseless speculation and the made-up rules of representation and character inclusion that anything not on their wishlist/shortlist is wildly unexpected to them. What really would've been crazy would've been bringing in some obscure character or some not major character from an established series.

Top Bottom