• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sensitive jigglypuff idea

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I know jigglypuff has a bad reputation as being that one campy cheap character, so buffing her may seem like a bad move, but I feel that with project M's cast having more viable projectiles, jiggly's game relies more on rest KO's than before. So how about PMBR can make jigglypuff wake up a little bit faster (maybe only one second) only if she connects with the opponent and does damage. It makes her down B less punishable if good players know how to use her, and it will buff her without changing her too much. People losing to jiggly will hate this, but it could make jiggly more viable than she is now.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I do not see that making her any better to be honest. It seems to me her issues comes from more more range overall so people can deal with he aerials and greater recoverys combined with a more floaty cast making it harder for Jiggs to finish stocks. They would probably have to redesign her to not be so polarized around her aerials and rest.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I do not see that making her any better to be honest. It seems to me her issues comes from more more range overall so people can deal with he aerials and greater recoverys combined with a more floaty cast making it harder for Jiggs to finish stocks. They would probably have to redesign her to not be so polarized around her aerials and rest.
The question is, how can jigglypuff be changed without going too much out of character? Her main game in PM and in melee was to keep the opponents off stage and punish them for recovering wrong. Changing her game is going to upset people that use jiggly a lot, and it would just alienate everyone who knows the puff matchups. That's why I thought to just buff her rest IF she hits: it rewards players that know how to use jigglypuff because rest no longer punishes the player because the opponent took too little damage and didn't die of a star ko. Having it only work if jigglypuff makes contact is good because it prevents players from spamming rest a lot.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
They should shorten the recovery on hit such that you can double-rest if you perfectly read the knockback direction and DI.

Or shield pressuring multi-rests.

DahJezus

Smash Rookie
They should shorten the recovery on hit
This is it.
A key defining trait that Puff has over SwordPuff (Pit) is his/her rest...
and it's a real shame to see a Puff work hard to get a rest in only to get a fully charged smash to the face/stock taken in return.

I'm not sure about a short enough recovery to combo two in a single combo (is that even possible? lol), but just enough to play before their opponent can respawn and punish.
  • On whiff = regular recovery
  • Even on shield = regular recovery? (can the PMBR even do that? I'm not sure but they've done miracles so far so I wouldn't be surprised)
  • On hit = shortened recovery

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Or they could just use the smash flash 2 jiggly and have her dair auto combo into her rest. But it would make jiggly too good; but it would make her a lot better.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Or they could just replace Sing with a useful move that lets her kill upwards.

EDIT: It would be a similar concept to pit's up special. She would twirl upwards the distance of her air dodge. It would be a single hit move and the sweet spot would be the apex of the jump. After the move she would go into special fall.

It would help kill floaty characters and make getting grabbed at percents above up throw rest still dangerous.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
What would that be? I would think that maybe her up b could be a wake up slap. When the opponent is in a tumbling state on the ground, she uses some sort of animation (IDK yet) and it puts the opponent in a stunned state.

Ty.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brotag
3DS FC
1375-7362-1938
Make down air a meteor like Kirby's maybe?

I do like the idea of waking up faster after a successful rest. Sing and (most of the time) Rollout are fairly useless moves for Puff. Maybe change Sing to Hyper Voice to launch enemies in the air or something. Puff really suffers from useless special move syndrome, which is quite a big problem in PM.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
As I recall, the biggest problem with sing (besides the mashout not making it worth it unless they're at a percent where there are better options) is that the stupid hitbox(?) undulates and fades in and out even more than you would think based on the animation. It's just so unreliable because the hitbox is so sparse. She needs to crank it up and fill the whole space with sound...
But really, I think they should rework her ground attacks (except Utilt), to expand her ground play. Things like Dtilt and Ftilt just don't really do anything for her. Although I did always like seeing Hbox use her smashes in random ways, or seeing Mango be like, I don't need rest/WoP, I can Usmash randomly after this random combo.
And an uncharged rollout ought to be jump cancellable or something, so you could use it for some super trippy mindgames.
And rest should be jump cancellable...

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
Rest has a hit confirmed version that has less lag on hit. People say that if Puff has this then Puff'll be unbeatable. For people that say this, look at Brawl Puff's tier list positions (both on US and Japanese tier lists) as well as Sm4sh Puff's tier list position and realize that it will not make Puff insta-broken. Also, if Rest doesn't hit anything and it goes completely unpunished, it heals 28% damage for all nearby people.

This one's aesthetics, but...
Puff's Forward Throw shouldn't be SDI-able. It's not a buff. It's not a nerf. It's completely aesthetics (if it has a use please tell me).

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
Puff dies instantly if his shield breaks. That mechanic needs to go asap. I'm actually shocked it hasn't been removed yet.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Rest has a hit confirmed version that has less lag on hit. People say that if Puff has this then Puff'll be unbeatable. For people that say this, look at Brawl Puff's tier list positions (both on US and Japanese tier lists) as well as Sm4sh Puff's tier list position and realize that it will not make Puff insta-broken. Also, if Rest doesn't hit anything and it goes completely unpunished, it heals 28% damage for all nearby people.

This one's aesthetics, but...
Puff's Forward Throw shouldn't be SDI-able. It's not a buff. It's not a nerf. It's completely aesthetics (if it has a use please tell me).
Puff in Brawl and Smash 4 also has a lot to do with her aerial hitboxes, not just Rest.

Top Bottom